Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies

pmg911

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #640 on: August 03, 2011, 09:07:04 AM »
A few things here guys...

- Anderson has stated (a few weeks back) that Seton Hall was doing the best job of recruiting him. He is an NJ kid who is SUPER close to his Father and playing close to home and his parents is something that can't be taken lightly. Please don't say that getting to Queens from NJ is an easy drive too because its just not the case all the time.

- I do think the Thomas decommit was a good thing for St. John's in their pursuit of KA but I think there were some other factors that played a part in Thomas' not coming to SJU now.

- Let's not forget that Lavin had to get the first player, Harkless, to commit to start his whirlwind last year and maybe that is how SHU is trying to get Kyle. ..  "stay home and become a legend in your home state"

As a SJU fan I hope I am proven wrong and we land Kyle but I just think in the end the kid is going to stay home and go to Seton Hall.

crgreen

« Reply #641 on: August 03, 2011, 09:09:31 AM »
I know I said this in the Thomas thread, I don't think it's coincidince that Thomas recinded his verbal. I am betting that Kyle is going to be wearing Red in the Fall of 2012.

Heck, I was hoping he was scared off by how good PHIL GREENE IS.   :)

« Reply #642 on: August 03, 2011, 09:14:09 AM »

- Anderson has stated (a few weeks back) that Seton Hall was doing the best job of recruiting him. He is an NJ kid who is SUPER close to his Father and playing close to home and his parents is something that can't be taken lightly. Please don't say that getting to Queens from NJ is an easy drive too because its just not the case all the time.

- I do think the Thomas decommit was a good thing for St. John's in their pursuit of KA but I think there were some other factors that played a part in Thomas' not coming to SJU now.

- Let's not forget that Lavin had to get the first player, Harkless, to commit to start his whirlwind last year and maybe that is how SHU is trying to get Kyle. ..  "stay home and become a legend in your home state"

As a SJU fan I hope I am proven wrong and we land Kyle but I just think in the end the kid is going to stay home and go to Seton Hall.

Good post, pmg!  OTOH, I think some people are forgetting SJU79 has come up with some reliable info in the past.  Granted, things can change from now til September 20th....  I'm gonna believe that we're sitting in an excellent position at this moment.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:14:32 AM by mjdinkins »

Marillac

« Reply #643 on: August 03, 2011, 09:21:56 AM »

I definitely see where you are coming from, PMG, but Lavin had a lot more to sell Harkless than playing time.  He had six Sweet 16's, a host of NBA players that he coached, and three assistants with NBA experience.  Willard has none of that going for him. 

Willard and Norm are much better comparisons.  Good assistants that are in just way over their heads with no head coaching resume and cleaning up a bad situation. 

I absolutely think SH has no shot at Kyle.  I think Willard is just playing the role that Norm played for every big local recruit STJ ended up losing out on...nice guys that were on the recruits early and often.

derk

« Reply #644 on: August 03, 2011, 09:45:46 AM »

As with Syl, when push comes to shove, the kid and his father will only take loyalty so far. The decommit is very key. And we have separated ourself from SH by a mile. In the end rational heads will prevail and the parents will use the "in the best interests of our child" clause to sign with the new super power that we are becoming]

« Reply #645 on: August 03, 2011, 09:50:31 AM »

I will take you at your word but you sure don't sound like you are rooting for KA to go to SJU.

A few points, Harkless was important for his local recruiting.  But Harkless had nothing to do with Lavin grabbing top kids from every part of this country.  You are equating the hiring of Lavin and Willard as if all hires are equal.  Lavin's pedigree and recruiting prowess far exceeded Willard's when they were hired.  Cannot act like they were on the same footing.  Here is the point, if KA had the same background and the same ranking but say was from Dallas, TX and not Paterson, NJ do you think for a second Willard would be involved?  But could you see Donovan, Howland, JTIII and Lavin still involved?  Yes.  That answers a lot right there.

More importantly you acted as if Willard possibly hiring KA's father was not a bad idea, do you think Lavin would need to stoop to such a measure to land a kid?  Answer that.

You are right he is comfortable with the staff and it is local.  But don't compare the two coaches or coaching staffs and don't act like Lavin needed Harkless to prove himself as a recruiter.

Logen

« Reply #646 on: August 03, 2011, 09:50:45 AM »
It is funny how logic used by many SJU fans; "we just need that one recruit with the courage to sign even though we are currently a down program" apparently doesn't apply to other schools or other situations now that Lavin has worked his magic. I do believe that in the end KA will sign with either SJU or Gtown but would not even be mildly surprised if he went to SHU, pmg's post is right on the money. Don't discount putting the the challenge of re-building a program virtually in his own backyard might have on his decision, along with the proximity of his family. KA, as good as he was, was never the main man if you will, either at Paterson Catholic or the beginning of this year at Anthony's and he has exploded at the end of the HS season and this year at AAU so in a reversal of sorts he just might want to see how good he can be in a situation where he is clearly "the man."     

« Reply #647 on: August 03, 2011, 09:55:33 AM »
It is funny how logic used by many SJU fans; "we just need that one recruit with the courage to sign even though we are currently a down program"

What logic?  That is the logic pmg is using.

« Reply #648 on: August 03, 2011, 10:11:43 AM »
It is funny how logic used by many SJU fans; "we just need that one recruit with the courage to sign even though we are currently a down program"

What logic?  That is the logic pmg is using.

I understand PMG and Logen are looking at it from another perspective, but the Johnnies' and G'town's situation is just better than the Hall's.  Especially, when you consider what we and the "Hated Hoyas" will be working with come 2012.

Anderson's stock has certainly risen over the past couple of months, but it's easier when you don't have to be "the man" night in and night out versus only having to occasionally be "the man."

I also agree with fordham, in reference to Lavin, Donovan, JTIII and Howland would and could still be in the running for Anderson, if he lived Kalamazoo, Michigan or Round O, SC.  :)   Willard wouldn't have a chance, if that was the case.

In the end, Anderson could very well choose the Hall.  I believe it's gonna come down to us and G'town. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:31:46 AM by mjdinkins »

ras

« Reply #649 on: August 03, 2011, 10:26:52 AM »
If he wants to play on a team filled with talent, SJU offers much more then SHU, especially if you want to be a PG. What good is great quaterback without great recievers? ,MSG is just a short train ride from N.J, and though Queens is not as close as S. Orange, It is a relatively easy trip, a lot cloiser than Washington DC. SJU offers both talent and proximity to home, the best of both worlds.

« Reply #650 on: August 03, 2011, 10:32:21 AM »
But he's saying they're one of the 5 because he can see them winning and he trusts in their tradition and coach. Otherwise they wouldn't be on the list.

Maybe so, but there is a such thing as coachspeak.  I wouldn't doubt there is something similiar to "coachspeak" going on here.

By the way, are you Hoya1987?

Who? I haven't seen any other Hoya fans on this site.  ???

« Reply #651 on: August 03, 2011, 10:32:59 AM »
The reason why it is easy to come up with a reason for him to choose SHU is because they are the ONLY reasons.  He likes the staff and they are local.  Fine.

But if you went and ticked off the numerous other reasons why a kid would choose a school: recent success, pedigree of head coach and coaching staff, ability for that staff to recruit top talent and win immediately etc. those reasons clearly don't apply to Seton Hall.  That may sound harsh but it is true.  Sorry.

And pmg clearly has been carrying the water for SHU lately, sounding as if he is not just predicting KA goes there but sure sounds like he is ROOTING for KA to go there.  Which is fine, but he ought to be honest about it and not hide behind some phony "Oh I hope he chooses SJU but I think he is going to choose SHU."  Come on guy if we went back and looked at all your posts on this thread almost every one has completely NEGLECTED reasons he would choose SJU and instead focused on the 1 or 2 reasons why he would choose SHU.  Then when I reported SHU was thinking of hiring his father most saw it as desperation.  You were the only one saying it is a good idea, hardly think you would have the same opinion if Lavin was trying the same thing.  In fact you would probably accuse him of dirty pool.

MCNPA

« Reply #652 on: August 03, 2011, 11:23:03 AM »
Kyle will be playing for the US 2012 team in Adidas Nations Tourney.  As I posted in the other thread, Ricardo Gathers will be playing for the Latin American team.

pmg911

« Reply #653 on: August 03, 2011, 12:06:29 PM »
More importantly you acted as if Willard possibly hiring KA's father was not a bad idea, do you think Lavin would need to stoop to such a measure to land a kid?  Answer that

I never compared the coaches, just the way they had to get that first local kid to stay and get the ball rolling.

If I was Willard, I would do everything with in the rules to get Kyle Anderson. If that meant given his Father a job so be it. I mean Calipari did it when he got to Memphis to get another NJ player and think things worked out ok for Coach Cal at Memphis.

And to actually compare the two guys coaching ability would not be that crazy. Lavin got handed his job at UCLA by default. He certainly did an amazing job and proved himself. Willard has gotten his shot now in a big league and I do think he is going to do a great job, people just do not understand what he was dealing with last year with the make up of his roster. Despite all of that, if Hazell had been healthy last year they would have been much better. He has learned from great basketball people and will get the job done at the Hall. No doubt it could take time though. After the disaster that was Bobby Gonzalez, the people at Seton Hall will give it to him though.

Fordham..    by saying I am rooting for KA to go else where, you are questioning my loyalty to SJU hoops. You have no clue what you are talking about. Unless you are considerably older then me, I seriously doubt you have been a fan of the program as long as me and have invested the time and money into SJU hoops that I have.

I want SJU to get every player they want but just because I have an opinion that one specific player is going to another school doesn't mean I am "rooting" against SJU. to say that is wrong and dumb.

« Reply #654 on: August 03, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »
The reason why it is easy to come up with a reason for him to choose SHU is because they are the ONLY reasons.  He likes the staff and they are local.  Fine.

But if you went and ticked off the numerous other reasons why a kid would choose a school: recent success, pedigree of head coach and coaching staff, ability for that staff to recruit top talent and win immediately etc. those reasons clearly don't apply to Seton Hall.  That may sound harsh but it is true.  Sorry.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. They could very well be selling him on the fact that his commitment will encourage other high profile recruits to sign. which i think has a decent chance of coming true.

As far as recent success prior to last year Seton Hall had been to the NCAAs more recently than St. John's had. Seton Hall made the tourney in 06 and 04 while you hadn't reached the tourney since 02. They also have a more recent Sweet 16 and more recent final 4. So let's not dismiss Seton Hall's current success. Yes I am picking and choosing data to make a point. And yes overall I would say St. John's has a more rich tradition. But St. John's hasn't exactly had tons of recent success. If recent success were his main priority then UCLA and Florida would be the top two schools, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Moose

« Reply #655 on: August 03, 2011, 12:23:01 PM »

I'm not sure that's entirely true. They could very well be selling him on the fact that his commitment will encourage other high profile recruits to sign. which i think has a decent chance of coming true.

As far as recent success prior to last year Seton Hall had been to the NCAAs more recently than St. John's had. Seton Hall made the tourney in 06 and 04 while you hadn't reached the tourney since 02. They also have a more recent Sweet 16 and more recent final 4. So let's not dismiss Seton Hall's current success. Yes I am picking and choosing data to make a point. And yes overall I would say St. John's has a more rich tradition. But St. John's hasn't exactly had tons of recent success. If recent success were his main priority then UCLA and Florida would be the top two schools, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

You can't use recent 'success' of SHU when we are talking 2-3 coaches removed from it.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #656 on: August 03, 2011, 12:27:19 PM »
Moose, you can be sure Hoyahooligan is not on SJU's side but rather SHU's when it comes to this argument.

ras

« Reply #657 on: August 03, 2011, 12:36:54 PM »

I'm not sure that's entirely true. They could very well be selling him on the fact that his commitment will encourage other high profile recruits to sign. which i think has a decent chance of coming true.  Im not referring to tradition when arguing KA should go to SJU, IM talking about talent. He would be playing with this years grat recruitng class, but they will be a year more experiensed and stronger,plus Gathers

« Reply #658 on: August 03, 2011, 12:41:37 PM »
Moose, you can be sure Hoyahooligan is not on SJU's side but rather SHU's when it comes to this argument.

Can he be anymore transparent?  LOL

ras

« Reply #659 on: August 03, 2011, 01:07:02 PM »
KA has to look at the furure, not the past. What talent does a team have, and what are their chances of winning in 2012,2013