Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #660 on: August 03, 2011, 01:13:25 PM »
More importantly you acted as if Willard possibly hiring KA's father was not a bad idea, do you think Lavin would need to stoop to such a measure to land a kid?  Answer that

I never compared the coaches, just the way they had to get that first local kid to stay and get the ball rolling.

If I was Willard, I would do everything with in the rules to get Kyle Anderson. If that meant given his Father a job so be it. I mean Calipari did it when he got to Memphis to get another NJ player and think things worked out ok for Coach Cal at Memphis.

And to actually compare the two guys coaching ability would not be that crazy. Lavin got handed his job at UCLA by default. He certainly did an amazing job and proved himself. Willard has gotten his shot now in a big league and I do think he is going to do a great job, people just do not understand what he was dealing with last year with the make up of his roster. Despite all of that, if Hazell had been healthy last year they would have been much better. He has learned from great basketball people and will get the job done at the Hall. No doubt it could take time though. After the disaster that was Bobby Gonzalez, the people at Seton Hall will give it to him though.

Fordham..    by saying I am rooting for KA to go else where, you are questioning my loyalty to SJU hoops. You have no clue what you are talking about. Unless you are considerably older then me, I seriously doubt you have been a fan of the program as long as me and have invested the time and money into SJU hoops that I have.

I want SJU to get every player they want but just because I have an opinion that one specific player is going to another school doesn't mean I am "rooting" against SJU. to say that is wrong and dumb.

No I do have a clue what I am talking about.

In this case you have put your reputation on the line with this "prediction" so you are now going all in.  And so your defense is I am a fan all my life.  I don't care.  I have no doubt you generally root for SJU, but it is clear on this that you have made your bed with KA going to SHU and are sticking with it no matter what.  And you are opnely ROOTING for him to go there.  It is obvious.

More importantly it does not matter how Lavin got his job with UCLA, the fact that he has that 7 years and has numerous recruiting links because of it gives him a better leg up then Willard.  And you were comparing the two.  And SHU is not UCLA so Willard getting the SHU job is not the same as Lavin getting the UCLA job considering the two jobs.

And as for Hoyahooligan in terms of making the NCAA's, to Moose's point SHU has not made the NCAA's in 5 years and they aren't making it this year and that was 2 coaches ago.  But the larger point was the current staff in place and their record of going to post-seasons.  Put it to you another way.  Let's say SJU hired Roy Williams, LOL!!, and SJU was coming off 8 straight years of missing NCAA's and SHU hired Willard and was coming off of 5 straight missed NCAA years.  Well technically SHU reached the NCAA more recently then SJU so a top recruit might find that more appealing, really?  Except the fact that the coach SJU hired has a record of recruiting top kids and taking his teams to NCAA's every year and the other school did not hire someone with the same pedigree.  That is the point.

SHU is in it.  And Willard has done a remarkable job.  Their biggest selling points are comfortability with the staff and that they are close to home.  And every interview Kyle does he says the same thing.  In fact a recent interview he did he mentioned EVERY coach except Willard and noted the talent Lavin was bringing in but never mentioned the talent that Willard was bringing it led many SHU fans to feel like Kyle was not feeling them the same.  Not saying I agree but even if you ask Kyle it is not like he is crowing about the possibilty of playing with Sean Grennan if you catch my drift.

pmg911

« Reply #661 on: August 03, 2011, 02:06:12 PM »
First, I didn't know I had a repuation to put on the line, not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

Second, the people that know me personally here know how well connected to both the school and program I am.

Again, in my original post on this particular topic I was not comparing Willard to Lavin. If anything I was comparing Anderson to Harkless in terms of being that first local kid to commit to staying home and helping rebuild the home team & program. You keep using that logic of yours to come to your own olpinions though.

Lastly, if you equate having an opinion about a player going to one school over another as "openly rooting" for the school you think he will attend, you are not as nearly smart as I thought you were. Some posters have told me privately you actually knew what you were talking about but I am beginning to second guess them.

I have been a die hard St. John's hoops fan for my entire life and been attending games on a regular basis for almost 35 years. the is no questioning my loyalty to the program.

Gumby

« Reply #662 on: August 03, 2011, 02:30:04 PM »
This is all good JJ stuff!

I agree with the prior comments that Coach Willard is more like Coach Roberts than Coach Lavin.  Coach Roberts was always talking about needing that one big star to turn the program around.  Yet, he never got that one.  And those potential big stars are probably glad they went elsewhere.

I can remember how "close" we thought we were to both Syl and Tobias.  I think the Harris and Roberts families even had Sunday dinners together.  Both of these players and their advisers/ parents knew better.  Go with a proven coach and program!  Coach W. is a decent coach, but no Coach Lavin.

KA will want to focus on getting his game ready for the NBA, not working on building a program.  That is a coach's job.

KA will probably only be in college for two years.  And that probability will determine where he wants to go to college.

Now put yourself n KA's place, which college can best get him to the both the Final Four and the NBA in two years?

« Reply #663 on: August 03, 2011, 02:34:48 PM »
First, I didn't know I had a repuation to put on the line, not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

Second, the people that know me personally here know how well connected to both the school and program I am.

Again, in my original post on this particular topic I was not comparing Willard to Lavin. If anything I was comparing Anderson to Harkless in terms of being that first local kid to commit to staying home and helping rebuild the home team & program. You keep using that logic of yours to come to your own olpinions though.

Lastly, if you equate having an opinion about a player going to one school over another as "openly rooting" for the school you think he will attend, you are not as nearly smart as I thought you were. Some posters have told me privately you actually knew what you were talking about but I am beginning to second guess them.

I have been a die hard St. John's hoops fan for my entire life and been attending games on a regular basis for almost 35 years. the is no questioning my loyalty to the program.

I would be shocked if he went to Seton Hall..  I think the biggest competition for his services is Georgetown as of right now.

« Reply #664 on: August 03, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »
KA will want to focus on getting his game ready for the NBA, not working on building a program.  That is a coach's job.

Good point, Gumby.  Although, a star-like player can possibly attract players of similiar ilk....  It is certainly up to the coach to build the program.  I also believe Anderson will probably be a two-year collegiate.

Now put yourself n KA's place, which college can best get him to the both the Final Four and the NBA in two years?

Hmmmmmmm....  I'm gonna chalk this one up as being rhetorical.  LOL   

Logen

« Reply #665 on: August 03, 2011, 02:46:17 PM »
"I understand PMG and Logen are looking at it from another perspective, but the Johnnies' and G'town's situation is just better than the Hall's.  Especially, when you consider what we and the "Hated Hoyas" will be working with come 2012.

Anderson's stock has certainly risen over the past couple of months, but it's easier when you don't have to be "the man" night in and night out versus only having to occasionally be "the man."

I also agree with fordham, in reference to Lavin, Donovan, JTIII and Howland would and could still be in the running for Anderson, if he lived Kalamazoo, Michigan or Round O, SC.     Willard wouldn't have a chance, if that was the case.

In the end, Anderson could very well choose the Hall.  I believe it's gonna come down to us and G'town. " quoted rom mjdinkins

I have a ton of respect for you as a poster but my point is this; to you, it may be easier to not be "the man" night in and night out and to you, the Johnnies and Gtown's situation is just better than the Hall's but KA and his family might not feel that way. KA just might WELCOME the challenge of putting a team on his back because he has never had the opportunity to do that. I just don't understand projecting what I think would be best for me (and the team I root for) and assuming that is best for someone else. Anderson has gone to a whole different level as a player (and he was always really good) and has the kind of character needed to make the challenging decision going to the Hall would be. If I were a betting man I think he goes to the Johnnies but as I said I would not be at all surprised if he went Hall and IMO the smugness with which so many dismiss SHU is way off base.   

Gumby

« Reply #666 on: August 03, 2011, 02:47:41 PM »

Good point, Gumby.  Although, a star-like player can possibly attract players of similar ilk....  It is certainly up to the coach to build the program.  I also believe Anderson will probably be a two-year collegiate.

Hmmmmmmm....  I'm gonna chalk this one up as being rhetorical.  LOL   

Once again, I am trying to think this out from the player's point of view.  Do I spend my time trying (and we know how difficult coaches find recruiting to be) to bring in other top players or do I go with a team that already has a large number of Top 100 players on it along with two JC all stars and the 2011 summer rebounding champ (and a bud at that)?  Yes, rhetorical once again!

« Reply #667 on: August 03, 2011, 02:57:47 PM »
^^^ this is a lot to read. I'll summarize

PMG thinks local connections help Seton Hall

Fordham doesn't think local connections matter due to Willard's resume or lack there of.

Both guys are die hard St. John's fans for longer than our fingers and toes can count.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #668 on: August 03, 2011, 03:14:12 PM »
I have a ton of respect for you as a poster but my point is this; to you, it may be easier to not be "the man" night in and night out and to you, the Johnnies and Gtown's situation is just better than the Hall's but KA and his family might not feel that way. KA just might WELCOME the challenge of putting a team on his back because he has never had the opportunity to do that. I just don't understand projecting what I think would be best for me (and the team I root for) and assuming that is best for someone else. Anderson has gone to a whole different level as a player (and he was always really good) and has the kind of character needed to make the challenging decision going to the Hall would be. If I were a betting man I think he goes to the Johnnies but as I said I would not be at all surprised if he went Hall and IMO the smugness with which so many dismiss SHU is way off base.

I, understand where you're coming from Logen.  I've been meticuously watching this kid for the past three summers at the Peach Jam.  There was something about him that made me pay close attention to him.  Not to mention, he was in the Johnnies backyard.  He's gotten better each summer I've watched him.  This particular summer he did show the ability that he can be capable of being "the man."  I also believe he can be much more dangerous NOT being "the man" on a nightly basis.

You could be correct in stating his family might not feel the same as fans of the Johnnies and G'town....  But, his dad did mention something about his son being the "Robin" to a "Batman."  I think he can play the "Batman" role.  I've witnessed it.  I'm also not sure how often he'll be able to play that particular role.

I know some people on this board has mentioned that they would be shocked, if he chooses the Hall.  It somewhat goes back to what fordham stated earlier....  Seton Hall wouldn't be in this position, if it wasn't for Anderson's proximity to the school.  In this case, they are still very much in the hunt and I'm not gonna take anything away from them for still being very alive in this one.

As, far as smugness....  Maybe, a handful of people might've exuded such.  Most fans on this site just feel confident in our staff to get this done.  It's gonna be a dogfight, but one that will be worth it if we're able to garner Anderson's services in the end.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:18:54 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #669 on: August 03, 2011, 03:22:16 PM »
^^^ this is a lot to read. I'll summarize

PMG thinks local connections help Seton Hall

Fordham doesn't think local connections matter due to Willard's resume or lack there of.

Both guys are die hard St. John's fans for longer than our fingers and toes can count.

Dave is right.  I am not getting into a pissing match with PMG and as he has noted his commitment to SJU.

All I am saying is on almost every post in this thread that he has made he is constantly making the case for SETON HALL.  Could you make a case for SHU?  Sure.  But you would think that as a SJU fan that he would ONCE make the case for SJU and I think we can all agree that SJU has a pretty good case to make, no?  And if you were a fan of SJU you would see that strong case to be made, no? 

« Reply #670 on: August 03, 2011, 03:39:15 PM »
A few things here guys...

- Anderson has stated (a few weeks back) that Seton Hall was doing the best job of recruiting him. He is an NJ kid who is SUPER close to his Father and playing close to home and his parents is something that can't be taken lightly. Please don't say that getting to Queens from NJ is an easy drive too because its just not the case all the time.

It's one they make every weekend for IS8. I hardly think that is a factor what so ever. It's 30-45 min drive and to a basketball family that's a piece of cake.

It's going to come down to...

1. Can he win?
2. Can he play?
3. What type of role?
4. Don't think academics don't play a roll because they do. Kyle is a good student from a good family.
5. Does he have the support of his family with the decision?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Gumby

« Reply #671 on: August 03, 2011, 03:45:04 PM »

- Anderson has stated (a few weeks back) that Seton Hall was doing the best job of recruiting him. He is an NJ kid who is SUPER close to his Father and playing close to home and his parents is something that can't be taken lightly. Please don't say that getting to Queens from NJ is an easy drive too because its just not the case all the time.

It's one they make every weekend for IS8. I hardly think that is a factor what so ever. It's 30-45 min drive and to a basketball family that's a piece of cake.

1. Can he win?
2. Can he play?
3. What type of role?
4. Don't think academics don't play a roll because they do. Kyle is a good student from a good family.

I think another key question would be- Who can best prepare me for the NBA in two years?

« Reply #672 on: August 03, 2011, 03:47:56 PM »

- I do think the Thomas decommit was a good thing for St. John's in their pursuit of KA but I think there were some other factors that played a part in Thomas' not coming to SJU now.

- Let's not forget that Lavin had to get the first player, Harkless, to commit to start his whirlwind last year and maybe that is how SHU is trying to get Kyle. ..  "stay home and become a legend in your home state"

As a SJU fan I hope I am proven wrong and we land Kyle but I just think in the end the kid is going to stay home and go to Seton Hall.

I definitely see where you are coming from, PMG, but Lavin had a lot more to sell Harkless than playing time.  He had six Sweet 16's, a host of NBA players that he coached, and three assistants with NBA experience.  Willard has none of that going for him. 

Willard and Norm are much better comparisons.  Good assistants that are in just way over their heads with no head coaching resume and cleaning up a bad situation. 

I absolutely think SH has no shot at Kyle.  I think Willard is just playing the role that Norm played for every big local recruit STJ ended up losing out on...nice guys that were on the recruits early and often.

i agree willard is playing the norm role here.  that's where the comparison between the two coaches end.  norm was a bill self guy and self never had a reputation as a good x and o guy.  willard was a pitino guy.  enough said.  willard also had success as a head coach.  norm didn't.

i'd LOVE to see kyle at st john's...but he's closer to coming to seton hall than any of norm's "stretches".

re: the other "debate".  i have absolutely no doubt pmg wants st john's to succeed.  he's just a realist....that's all.

Gumby

« Reply #673 on: August 03, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »
I am not sure that someone with a different point of view is necessarily a "realist".  That person just has another view.

« Reply #674 on: August 03, 2011, 04:01:22 PM »

- I do think the Thomas decommit was a good thing for St. John's in their pursuit of KA but I think there were some other factors that played a part in Thomas' not coming to SJU now.

- Let's not forget that Lavin had to get the first player, Harkless, to commit to start his whirlwind last year and maybe that is how SHU is trying to get Kyle. ..  "stay home and become a legend in your home state"

As a SJU fan I hope I am proven wrong and we land Kyle but I just think in the end the kid is going to stay home and go to Seton Hall.

I definitely see where you are coming from, PMG, but Lavin had a lot more to sell Harkless than playing time.  He had six Sweet 16's, a host of NBA players that he coached, and three assistants with NBA experience.  Willard has none of that going for him. 

Willard and Norm are much better comparisons.  Good assistants that are in just way over their heads with no head coaching resume and cleaning up a bad situation. 

I absolutely think SH has no shot at Kyle.  I think Willard is just playing the role that Norm played for every big local recruit STJ ended up losing out on...nice guys that were on the recruits early and often.

i agree willard is playing the norm role here.  that's where the comparison between the two coaches end.  norm was a bill self guy and self never had a reputation as a good x and o guy.  willard was a pitino guy.  enough said.  willard also had success as a head coach.  norm didn't.

i'd LOVE to see kyle at st john's...but he's closer to coming to seton hall than any of norm's "stretches".

re: the other "debate".  i have absolutely no doubt pmg wants st john's to succeed.  he's just a realist....that's all.

Where did Willard prove he could win?  He is 58-66 in 4 years as a coach with a 17 loss season, 20 loss season and a 19 loss season.  3 of those years in the MAAC.  Legit reasons mind you for struggling, no doubt.  But what proof do you have.  Put it to you another way if SJU hired Willard there is no way you have this reaction.  No way in God's green earth.  Completely dishonest.

And a realist thinks SJU with a coach that just went 12-6 with a mediocre group in a stacked BE who is proving to be 1 of the 10 best recruiters in America is the "underdog" to a coach with a losing record and no post-season wins, not even a conference Tourney win,  and 1 winning season in 4 years and that was a 3rd place finish int he MAAC?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:02:46 PM by fordham96 »

pmg911

« Reply #675 on: August 03, 2011, 04:11:10 PM »
Fordham - I NEVER said SJU is the underdog, all I said was that I thought the kid would stay home in NJ and got to SHU. I never said I knew it for a fact or declared a "scoop" so please stop twisting my words around to fit your agenda.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we all know what opinions are just like...     everyone has one..!!

Marillac is right (can't believe I typed that. . ha ha ha )I am realist and if anything being a SJU fan under the Norm Roberts regime reinforced that.

I certainly hope Coach Lavin and staff land Kyle Anderson and every other player they make a priority.

« Reply #676 on: August 03, 2011, 04:19:57 PM »
Fordham - I NEVER said SJU is the underdog, all I said was that I thought the kid would stay home in NJ and got to SHU. I never said I knew it for a fact or declared a "scoop" so please stop twisting my words around to fit your agenda.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we all know what opinions are just like...     everyone has one..!!

Marillac is right (can't believe I typed that. . ha ha ha )I am realist and if anything being a SJU fan under the Norm Roberts regime reinforced that.

I certainly hope Coach Lavin and staff land Kyle Anderson and every other player they make a priority.

Again my last point.

News did but he was acting like he was talking for you.  That is his point.

Again I stand by my earlier point, it seems you have been openly rooting for KA to choose SHU since this thread was started.

You disagree fine.  But I think if you read the tone of your posts it is clear you jump to their defense every time.

« Reply #677 on: August 03, 2011, 04:20:08 PM »

Where did Willard prove he could win?  He is 58-66 in 4 years as a coach with a 17 loss season, 20 loss season and a 19 loss season.  3 of those years in the MAAC.  Legit reasons mind you for struggling, no doubt.  But what proof do you have.  Put it to you another way if SJU hired Willard there is no way you have this reaction.  No way in God's green earth.  Completely dishonest.

And a realist thinks SJU with a coach that just went 12-6 with a mediocre group in a stacked BE who is proving to be 1 of the 10 best recruiters in America is the "underdog" to a coach with a losing record and no post-season wins, not even a conference Tourney win,  and 1 winning season in 4 years and that was a 3rd place finish int he MAAC?

An the winner, by unanimous decision is...Fordham96!

Poison

« Reply #678 on: August 03, 2011, 04:34:29 PM »

1. Can he win?
2. Can he play?
3. What type of role?

1.Will the coach prepare me for the next level?

jr49

« Reply #679 on: August 03, 2011, 05:16:20 PM »

Hay 911, as long as the word realist has popped up, post me. I on occasion run into a fellow who sees most of the area kids play. He told me not to feel to bad if we miss out on Kyle. His reason, Pops involvement, insistence on playing point, keeping up in the up and down, and stayin in front of his man. The posts here got me thinking we are lookin at Oscar. Does this kid figure to be a dynamite point guard for us, or are concerns legit?