Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies

uwsfan

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #680 on: August 03, 2011, 05:20:07 PM »
Heres what it is all about for KA. He is a future NBA player with 100% certainty.
The two things most important for him during his college career (which wont last more than 2 yrs), are improving his game and winning.
If he goes to SJU or G-Town, he can realistically expect to make a legitimate run at a Final 4 during his tenure and get great coaching.
At SHU he will be lucky to see the NIT.

Seton Hall has NO chance. Their fans are foolish to become so emotionally invested in a kid they have no chance of getting, they are simply not the kind of program Mcdonalds all-American caliber players go to, and will not be until/unless Williard has sustained success.

In 2012, Anderson will be running the point as either a Johnnie or Hoya.......... and the Pirates will be sweating about their probable future in the A-10

« Reply #681 on: August 03, 2011, 05:58:56 PM »
We need a Tale of the Tape.  Who used to write those?  WASJU or ThaKid and what happened to those two?  Maybe we'll find out in 1% more.

I also support F96's point about Newsie overstating Williard's accomplishments but just realize that many NYers, and others nationally, think Pitino's poo don't smell (well his basketball poo, not his extra-marital poo) and the fact that Williard's from that tree clouds their vision of what he's really accomplished.

MCNPA

« Reply #682 on: August 03, 2011, 06:11:34 PM »
We need a Tale of the Tape.  Who used to write those?  WASJU or ThaKid and what happened to those two?  Maybe we'll find out in 1% more.

I also support F96's point about Newsie overstating Williard's accomplishments but just realize that many NYers, and others nationally, think Pitino's poo don't smell (well his basketball poo, not his extra-marital poo) and the fact that Williard's from that tree clouds their vision of what he's really accomplished.

Apparently anybody who Pitino walks past is part of Pitino's tree.  Willard gets a bit more credit because his father is certainly a solid coach.  Problem is that not every son, daughter or apple from Pitino's coaching tree is going to be as impactful.  My guess is that he's a decent enough coach.  In this league though, you also need recruiting prowess and gravitas.  Those two things I dont know if Willard has just yet, and I'm doubtful.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #683 on: August 03, 2011, 06:23:33 PM »
I usually just read the forum everyday to get any insider news about recruits. When I saw the KA page went up 3 pages today I got excited and thought there was news about where he was gonna go LOL (even though Sept 20 is the official day). Being a member of this site is better than having an insider account on ESPN, or rivals. Keep up the good works guys.

« Reply #684 on: August 04, 2011, 06:09:56 PM »
Per Jeff Borzello (CBS Sports Recruiting)....  Anderson was listed in Borzello's "Five lessons learned during July recruiting period."

5. The kid I loved watching more than anyone else and would pay money to see? Kyle Anderson. The kid may not be a human highlight film in terms of above-the-rim play, but he's special to watch because of his passing ability at 6-foot-8. In fact, I'll put the St. Anthony's product's distributing skills against anyone in the nation. He may not have the look of a pure point guard, but he just flat-out makes his teammates better. And my prediction is he winds up going to a Final Four at some point in his college career because players like Anderson just don't come along often.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15392982/experts-five-lessons-learned-during-july-recruiting-period

« Reply #685 on: August 04, 2011, 06:20:28 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting....  "Best senior performers in July"

Mike LaPlante: Nobody had a better summer than Kyle Anderson (Fairview, N.J./St. Anthony), who had a phenomenal July highlighted by his outstanding play at the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam. The multitalented 6-foot-8 playmaker is a winner who makes other players around him better. While averaging nearly a triple-double (18.8 ppg, 9.2 rpg and 8.1 apg), he took a less talented team and led them to the quarterfinals in Augusta. Because of his size and skill level Anderson, who has an old school game, has drawn comparisons to Jalen Rose and Magic Johnson.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/6829880/best-senior-performers-july

« Reply #686 on: August 04, 2011, 09:48:32 PM »

Mike LaPlante: Nobody had a better summer than Kyle Anderson (Fairview, N.J./St. Anthony), who had a phenomenal July highlighted by his outstanding play at the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam. The multitalented 6-foot-8 playmaker is a winner who makes other players around him better. While averaging nearly a triple-double (18.8 ppg, 9.2 rpg and 8.1 apg), he took a less talented team and led them to the quarterfinals in Augusta. Because of his size and skill level Anderson, who has an old school game, has drawn comparisons to Jalen Rose and Magic Johnson.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/6829880/best-senior-performers-july

Love the Jalen Rose comparison.  Many people don't remember just how good a college player Rose was as Webber was always the focus.  He averaged almost 18 pts per game as a freshman with 4 assist and almost 5 rebounds. 

MCNPA

« Reply #687 on: August 04, 2011, 10:12:23 PM »
Jalen Rose is a good comparison.  I think Jalen Rose was a bit faster and more athletic.  I also think though, that Kyle is a much better passer overall, and more of a pure PG.  Anderson has great vision.  Anderson is also a kid who's a bit soft, body wise.  Don't underestimate what some good strength training and work on sprinting and leaping can do for the kid.  Some of his slo-mo is just his style, not the fact that he can't move on the court.  He's a kid that will have to work on his body in college a bit, especially his lower half, developing some explosiveness.  He's not far off, but his vision is fantastic.  I changed my tune on him after seeing him some more.  He really can be dangerous with the tools he has. 

We'll have too many options for most teams to handle if he comes on board.  We can play small, big, half-court, running game.  Kyle can play PG to PF.  We have lots of guys that can play multiple spots.  I think it is what Lavin wants.  Hybridize the team a bit and create problems.  Look at how many zones we played last year alone.  We aren't going to be a one-trick pony.  We are going to throw new things at people all the time and nobody will be able to prepare for what we do.  Huggins last year commented to the point that Lavin will throw everything at you an keep you on your toes.  Can't find the exact quotes, but Huggins is exactly right and knows exactly what he's talking about with respect to Lavin.  He was on the money. 

A kid like Kyle has got to love the fact that at SJU, he will play with a coach and staff that will get the most out of him at several positions, including PG.  Kyle can be a gamebreaker here.  Seems like Kyle has a great personality and I think he'll mesh extremely well with Lavin.  Jalen Rose is certainly a good comparsion, because on that team Webber and Howard might have garnered more attention, but the team wouldn't have been nearly as good without Rose. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:17:20 AM by MCNPA »

Marillac

« Reply #688 on: August 05, 2011, 07:46:30 AM »

Love the Jalen Rose comparison.  Many people don't remember just how good a college player Rose was as Webber was always the focus.  He averaged almost 18 pts per game as a freshman with 4 assist and almost 5 rebounds. 

Jalen Rose was on a different planet athletically. 

« Reply #689 on: August 05, 2011, 08:25:13 AM »
He really isn't like Jalen Rose. He's a slower, less flashy Magic Johnson. He doesn't have any razzle dazzle to his handle or flash to his passes. He uses his body extremely well to shield the ball and throws passes over his defender's heads or around them.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #690 on: August 05, 2011, 08:33:23 AM »
He really isn't like Jalen Rose. He's a slower, less flashy Magic Johnson. He doesn't have any razzle dazzle to his handle or flash to his passes. He uses his body extremely well to shield the ball and throws passes over his defender's heads or around them.

^Best assessment here yet, no doubt, no doubt.

Besides from KA's size, his best asset is his brain. 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #691 on: August 05, 2011, 12:48:31 PM »
Let's hope there are no comparisons of Kyle to Jailin off the court. :) :) :)

pmg911

« Reply #692 on: August 05, 2011, 03:25:40 PM »
Dave - the point you mention about "passing over a defenders head or around them"

Do you think it becomes an issue in college when he has bigger & faster kids defending him..?

« Reply #693 on: August 05, 2011, 05:12:01 PM »
Dave - the point you mention about "passing over a defenders head or around them"

Do you think it becomes an issue in college when he has bigger & faster kids defending him..?
We will see, but my observation is that KA will find a way to compensate and adapt to quicker, older players.  A lot of articles talk about him not being the most athletic of players, but he doesn't exactly look like he's dragging a 50 lb around out there.  The key is that game probably seems slowed down for him, like it is for many of the very good passers.  My hunch is he'll find a way at the next level by utilizing every advantage he does possess to simply get the pass into the hands of the right teammate.

« Reply #694 on: August 05, 2011, 06:16:27 PM »

I think he gets quicker with his handle, maybe a little more flashy. I've been thinking of someone who I'd compare him to and the person that came to mind was Lamar Odom.

I don't think college guys will pose a problem for him. He's been competing and succeeding at the highest level of competition all throughout high school. He works extremely hard and is very humble.

« Reply #695 on: August 05, 2011, 06:17:44 PM »
I should also note Kyle has either 7'2 or 7'4 wingspan. I forgot which one it was when he was measured.

« Reply #696 on: August 08, 2011, 07:51:42 PM »
Anderson is currently playing on CBS College Sports in the Adidas National Championship game.  It's the 3rd runner-up game.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:52:21 PM by mjdinkins »

Moose

« Reply #697 on: August 08, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »
Anderson is currently playing on CBS College Sports in the Adidas National Championship game.  It's the 3rd runner-up game.

Who did US lose to?  Canada?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #698 on: August 08, 2011, 07:57:32 PM »

Who did US lose to?  Canada?

I believe that I read they lost to Canada.  Anderson plays for USA Red 2012.  They are currently playing USA Blue 2013. 

Drummond's team (USA 2012 Blue) is playing in the championship game.

« Reply #699 on: August 08, 2011, 08:04:31 PM »

Been watching him in the CBS college sports third place game and I know its not the most popular opinion here but I don't see him as part of a run and gun offense.  He seems a tad slow.  Unless he uses his basketball IQ to compensate for his speed or lack thereof, just don't see him as a fit for what many here believe to be our style of play.  Did anyone here see him tonite and agree with my assessment?