Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #1520 on: September 09, 2011, 08:41:12 AM »
(2) When was the last time SJU had an NBA lottery pick?

This question was answewred incorrectly before - Ron Artest was not a Lottery pick, he was picked 16th in 1st round of 1999 Draft.

I believe Malik Sealy was St. John's last Lottery pick in 1992 and I might even be wrong about that because I can't see how many teams were in the Lottery in 1992 but i think it was 14 then. If it was not Malik you would have to go back Walter Berry.

PMG911 I dont believe it was Walter Berry, I am sure it was Chris Mullin.

crgreen

« Reply #1521 on: September 09, 2011, 09:57:02 AM »

This question was answewred incorrectly before - Ron Artest was not a Lottery pick, he was picked 16th in 1st round of 1999 Draft.

I believe Malik Sealy was St. John's last Lottery pick in 1992 and I might even be wrong about that because I can't see how many teams were in the Lottery in 1992 but i think it was 14 then. If it was not Malik you would have to go back Walter Berry.

You'll find the actual lottery results here:  http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-draft-lottery-history/

It's not Chris or Walter - there WAS no lottery when were  drafted.  It didn't start till the 1990 draft.   And in 1992, when Malik was drafted 14th, there were only 11 teams in the lottery.   You could extrapolate for Chris - but with only 24 teams in the league, don't know that a lottery would have been the 7 teams necessary to include him.   I think they were toying with the idea a lottery for a few years before it was actually iimplemented, but I believe they were talking about the bottom 1/4th of the teams - and that would have excluded Chris...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:01:07 AM by crgreen »

RedVet

« Reply #1522 on: September 09, 2011, 10:43:46 AM »

You'll find the actual lottery results here:  http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-draft-lottery-history/

It's not Chris or Walter - there WAS no lottery when were  drafted.  It didn't start till the 1990 draft.   And in 1992, when Malik was drafted 14th, there were only 11 teams in the lottery.   You could extrapolate for Chris - but with only 24 teams in the league, don't know that a lottery would have been the 7 teams necessary to include him.   I think they were toying with the idea a lottery for a few years before it was actually iimplemented, but I believe they were talking about the bottom 1/4th of the teams - and that would have excluded Chris...

The NBA instituted the lottery in 1985. (We all remember Dave Debusschere giving the thumbs-up sign when he knew the Knicks had landed Patrick Ewing with the No. 1 pick, and the accusations of a league conspiracy that followed.) Mullin was the seventh pick. That version of the unweighted draft (i.e., with no advantage given to teams with the worse records) lasted up until 1990, when the current format (the weighted draft) was instituted.

P.S. In '86, Walter Berry was a No. 14 selection, as was Malik Sealy in '92. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:00:34 AM by RedVet »

« Reply #1523 on: September 09, 2011, 11:11:58 AM »
i don't have access

http://ucla.scout.com/a.z?s=12&p=2&c=1104565&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fucla.scout.com%2f2%2f1104565.html

but here's a blurb:
While those east coast sources are saying it could be Seton Hall, we continue to hear that UCLA's biggest competition is St. John's and Steve Lavin. ...

« Reply #1524 on: September 09, 2011, 11:14:39 AM »
i don't have access

http://ucla.scout.com/a.z?s=12&p=2&c=1104565&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fucla.scout.com%2f2%2f1104565.html

but here's a blurb:
While those east coast sources are saying it could be Seton Hall, we continue to hear that UCLA's biggest competition is St. John's and Steve Lavin. ...

They aren't privy to some things. Seton Hall is a player.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

crgreen

« Reply #1525 on: September 09, 2011, 12:03:31 PM »
i don't have access

but here's a blurb:

Please don't take offense, Dave.  But it doesn't say they aren't - just that St Johns is the BIGGEST competition for UCLA.

By the way, the top West Coast recruiting guru Greg Hicks - a  co-founder of that board (with Tracy Pierson who wrote the article) - has posted often that he doesn't believe Kyle is an elite prospect.  Thinks he'll be a GOOD  high D-1 player, but little chance to be a great one - and ZERO chance to be a PG at the high D1 level (doesn't have the quickess or speed to defend the 1, 2 or 3, nor the strength to defend the 4).   

« Reply #1526 on: September 09, 2011, 12:17:13 PM »
Paul Biancardi of ESPN recruiting thinks we are the favorite. He had a chat today:

Martin (New York)
Witch school is the favorite to land Kyle Anderson?

Paul Biancardi  (11:52 AM)
I would have to say St. John's. Local school with tremendous success last year with Steve Lavin. Anderson has a close family and they all want to see him play, which could make proximity a factor.

« Reply #1527 on: September 09, 2011, 12:36:37 PM »
i don't have access

but here's a blurb:

Please don't take offense, Dave.  But it doesn't say they aren't - just that St Johns is the BIGGEST competition for UCLA.

By the way, the top West Coast recruiting guru Greg Hicks - a  co-founder of that board (with Tracy Pierson who wrote the article) - has posted often that he doesn't believe Kyle is an elite prospect.  Thinks he'll be a GOOD  high D-1 player, but little chance to be a great one - and ZERO chance to be a PG at the high D1 level (doesn't have the quickess or speed to defend the 1, 2 or 3, nor the strength to defend the 4).   

that's why our zone defense would be perfect for KA!

« Reply #1528 on: September 09, 2011, 12:38:17 PM »
Hoya fans are welcome here just as anyone else. They have to remember to be civil, and be prepared to back up what they say with some facts. There are some educated fans here so they better come correct.

I've posted on hoyasaxa plenty of times and have been welcomed to every time. They're a good bunch.

Personally I'm not a JTIII fan. From his coaching to his recruiting I wouldn't invest in his stock. Losing David Cox on that staff was a big blow to what they could have done locally in DC which is a mega hot bed of talent. If I were a player I'd look to a lot of other programs within the Big East before I looked at Georgetown (in a pure basketball sense).

Also a note to the posters here, treat the hoya fans with the same respect as you would any other person here or you'd expect for yourself. Yea, they root for another team and they stick up for blue and grey as you would for red and white.

I respectfully disagree that losing Cox was a big blow. It was a slight blow in the 2011 short run (Christmas and Tyrone Johnson), but we managed to pull out a top 15 recruiting class anyway. Robert kirby is a much better recruiter than Cox and bringing Broadus back to the program Georgetown has really elevated their recruiting. The problem with and for Cox was he was a DC Assault guy and the rift between DC Assault and Georgetown seems too big to over come. At Georgetown Cox didn't land a single player. Ok well he landed Jordan Goodman for a minute because he knew he was on his way out if he didn't produce results soon. I don't think it was his fault entirely. I think we thought hiring an assault guy would mend the rift. It clearly didn't. Cox is a guy who is constantly looking for the next stepping stone. As soon as he got to Georgetown he was looking for his next job. He came to Georgetown from Pitt I believe after only a year.  Long term we're much better off without Cox who was dead weight at Georgetown. Again probably through no fault of his own. He was never going to achieve big things at Georgetown.

and bball purist

We're not ducking Maryland it's the other way around if you know your facts. Gary was still claiming we owe them a home game despite the fact that the Georgetown "Home" game saw a split gate and the Hoyas wearing the away colors and sitting at the away bench. We simply wanted the same conditions for the return game but Gary backed out. JTIII attempted to start a series with Gary, but Gary refused unless they played a 2 for 1. JTIII offered to play Maryland in the BB&T where although it would be on the Hoyas home court they wouldn't control the ticketing or the gate just like the Georgetown Home game in the early 90s that Gary was still stuck on. But he refused and claimed they were owed a true home game first even though that's not what the hoyas got.

« Reply #1529 on: September 09, 2011, 12:44:27 PM »
'hooligan....   How about you let us know about our recruits being beat up throughout the season and the chance they won't return intact in 2012. 

The former could possibly be true, but we'd like analysis.  I'm sure the board would also love to know how you came up with the basis of the latter.   

pmg911

« Reply #1530 on: September 09, 2011, 01:19:09 PM »
crgreen - for such a well informed and knowledgeable poster I am shocked at that miss on the history of the lottery.

« Reply #1531 on: September 09, 2011, 01:27:27 PM »
For all of those trippin over the Sept 20th date-what are you going to do if he changes his mind and cannot make a final decision and postpones it-maybe even to the late signing period in April-which is what his coach Bob Hurley advises all his players to do? I say we all take a chill pill and look forward to the start of this season and the tremendous 9 man recruiting class that we have all as of yet not seen play at the D1 level. Not to mention the 2 commits we already have and the knowledge it is a given that coach Lavs will continue to bring in many more high level recruits-it's all good!

If I can clarify many of Hurley's recruits commit to programs early.  However, Hurley asks them to give him their LOI until the spring signing period.  If the coach is still there and no violations have occurred that would change their eligibility he advises them to keep their commitment and if they agree sends their LOI in for them.  If one of those two situations changes he encourages them to decide if their commitment is still the right decision.

FWIW I think that's a tremendous thing that he does showing full understanding of who holds all the cards in this process, the schools, and the fact that the players need someone looking out for them more than they have now.  We sure know the NCAA has no interest in looking out for the kids.

Hurley won't impact Kyle's recruitment in the least. Other guys he's more invested in because they don't know any better but Kyle is well informed and supported by family.

Interesting slant.  Do you think that means that Kyle sends his LOI to his chosen school in the fall?

pmg911

« Reply #1532 on: September 09, 2011, 01:46:32 PM »
Interesting slant.  Do you think that means that Kyle sends his LOI to his chosen school in the fall?

I think he sends it as soon as he is permitted. I think he wants the process over with and wants to enjoy his Senior year of hoops. All of the schools he is considering having very stable coaching situations.

« Reply #1533 on: September 09, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »

Per Zags:

Coaches from Seton Hall, St. Johns`s, G`town, Florida & UCLA expected today at St. Anthony open gym for @KyleAnderson5

crgreen

« Reply #1534 on: September 09, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »
crgreen - for such a well informed and knowledgeable poster I am shocked at that miss on the history of the lottery.

I was in LA and a Lakers fan.   We had Kareem, Magic and Worthy by 1982, and paid no attention to the Lottery  :)

I had to look up the reference, and that "nba draft history" page I pulled up let me down!   :-[
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 03:45:42 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #1535 on: September 09, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »
'hooligan....   How about you let us know about our recruits being beat up throughout the season and the chance they won't return intact in 2012. 

The former could possibly be true, but we'd like analysis.  I'm sure the board would also love to know how you came up with the basis of the latter.   

I don't understand why that is a response to the latest thing I posted which was a relevant response to posts in this thread.

My views on St. John's team expressed on a different board than this one don't really matter for this thread.

Do I think St. John's is in for a rough season with a team of all new players. Yes.
Do I think there's likely to be some attrition after this year? Yes.

Don't see what that has to do with my latest post. If you'd like me to discuss those points on your main board I could do that, but they're not really relevant to the Kyle Anderson discussion going on here.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:35:34 PM by hoyahooligan »

Poison

« Reply #1536 on: September 09, 2011, 05:09:16 PM »
I think this last group of Georgetown players had talent, and the ability to play well at times, but they weren't able to put it together at the end of the season. The fact that a Norm Roberts team knocked them out of the BE speaks volumes about how unprepared they are after a full season.

For all of the good he's done early on, he's finding a way to slowly erase it every season after. Hibbert and Green were excellent BE players, but the Monroe/Freeman/Wright group massively underachieved. JT3 is a huge upgrade over Esherick, but we'll all see what he's really made of after this next crop of players learns his system or doesn't.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:10:49 PM by Poison »

« Reply #1537 on: September 09, 2011, 05:46:31 PM »

I don't understand why that is a response to the latest thing I posted which was a relevant response to posts in this thread.

My views on St. John's team expressed on a different board than this one don't really matter for this thread.

Do I think St. John's is in for a rough season with a team of all new players. Yes.
Do I think there's likely to be some attrition after this year? Yes.

Don't see what that has to do with my latest post. If you'd like me to discuss those points on your main board I could do that

We've beaten the Anderson topic like a drum.  Poor fellow head should be pounding now. 

As, far as what I initially mentioned....  I'm referring to how you disclose the matter.  Sure, you can start a thread and we can discuss it.  Instead, of you running around pounding the pavement attempting to find dirt on Lavin....  I'm curious in reading your analysis and the basis on who may or may not return to the Johnnies.  I'm sure you're familiar with attrition when it comes to your program.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:51:04 PM by mjdinkins »

pmg911

« Reply #1538 on: September 09, 2011, 06:14:22 PM »
Kyle's open workout started at 3:45 today and we had two assistants there for the work out then at about 5:30 Coach Lavin showed up with Earl Watson.

Certainly a different approach but I have to give the man extra points for knowing how to make an entrance.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 06:15:41 PM by pmg911 »

« Reply #1539 on: September 09, 2011, 06:19:35 PM »
Kyle's open workout started at 3:45 today and we had two assistants there for the work out then at about 5:30 Coach Lavin showed up with Earl Watson.

Certainly a different approach but I have to give the man extra points for knowing how to make an entrance.

Lavin is bringing out all of his guards in this battle for Kyle. Baron Davis & Earl Watson not to mention Rico Hines. Its a good look. I'm assuming Rico and Tony Chiles were the other assistants