Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - IONA

• 1080 replies

Moose

Re: Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #220 on: June 10, 2011, 09:31:31 AM »
Anxiously waiting for Dave to give the "this is a non-issue" post like he did with Harkless!

Non issue

http://johnnyjungle.com/news/latest-on-rumors-of-st-johns-norvel-pelle-being-ineligible/

In addition, Pelle tweeted that he's in class today, so certainly nothing in the way of bad news.  I believe Pelle will likely be eligible. 

I think I heard from someone he tweeted about getting to STJ on July 11th.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #221 on: June 10, 2011, 09:54:43 AM »
Anxiously waiting for Dave to give the "this is a non-issue" post like he did with Harkless!

Non issue

http://johnnyjungle.com/news/latest-on-rumors-of-st-johns-norvel-pelle-being-ineligible/

In addition, Pelle tweeted that he's in class today, so certainly nothing in the way of bad news.  I believe Pelle will likely be eligible. 

I think I heard from someone he tweeted about getting to STJ on July 11th.

I looked at his tweets.  He certainly did say that.  Also said he was finishing up school prior to that.  All signs pointing to him being eligible and at SJU in July, which is great news.

« Reply #222 on: June 10, 2011, 10:29:14 AM »
Just to add about Pelle.   I was watching a lot of his video clips.  It is mentioned that his defense is ahead of his offense, but one thing that stands our to me is his ability to finish on offense with both hands.  He's got a great ability to both finish on offense with the proper hand as well as when on defense.  Pelle's limitations are primarily with regards to footwork, coaching and effort.  Most "raw" players and especially centers, only go one direction with one hand.  If Dunlap works with this kid and gets him to focus, I think he can become an offensive killer in the post as well.  He has great hands as well.  He has the tools to dominate there if he learns the game better and takes it seriously.

He also seems to have the ability to hit shots outside of the paint.  It's obviously not his bread and butter, but something he can do and probably will improve on once he gets to St. John's.  He could become a very dangerous player, if he continues to hone his short jumper.

MCNPA

« Reply #223 on: June 11, 2011, 11:35:27 AM »
Just to add about Pelle.   I was watching a lot of his video clips.  It is mentioned that his defense is ahead of his offense, but one thing that stands our to me is his ability to finish on offense with both hands.  He's got a great ability to both finish on offense with the proper hand as well as when on defense.  Pelle's limitations are primarily with regards to footwork, coaching and effort.  Most "raw" players and especially centers, only go one direction with one hand.  If Dunlap works with this kid and gets him to focus, I think he can become an offensive killer in the post as well.  He has great hands as well.  He has the tools to dominate there if he learns the game better and takes it seriously.

He also seems to have the ability to hit shots outside of the paint.  It's obviously not his bread and butter, but something he can do and probably will improve on once he gets to St. John's.  He could become a very dangerous player, if he continues to hone his short jumper.

He has a nice touch.  Can even hit outside shots.  I just do not want to see him get enamored of a role on the wing. I like the idea of him being able to take and make 10 footers.  He'd be tough to stop if he can do so.  He has a nice shooting stroke, so I don't think it will be a problem if he works hard at it.

« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2011, 09:04:13 AM »

Gumby

« Reply #225 on: June 14, 2011, 04:46:29 PM »
Norvel sounds like the real deal.

A very good interview!  We are lucky to get him.

« Reply #226 on: June 14, 2011, 04:56:38 PM »
Per National Recruiting Spotlight....  Norvel Pelle interview.

http://recruitingspotlight.wordpress.com/2011/06/13/norvel-pelle-st-johns-interview-transcript/
Norvel and Gg may just be enough down low this season - some determined dudes... :knuppel2:

MCNPA

« Reply #227 on: June 14, 2011, 08:22:46 PM »

http://recruitingspotlight.wordpress.com/2011/06/13/norvel-pelle-st-johns-interview-transcript/
Norvel and Gg may just be enough down low this season - some determined dudes... :knuppel2:

"just enough"??  Fwiw it's worth per rivals we have the #1 center recruit in the country and one of the top ranked PF/C 's coming inmwith God's gift.  I'd say we're entering the season in decent shape, even though we're young in the post.  One tall, slender shot blocker, one tank.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2011, 01:48:06 PM »

"just enough"??  Fwiw it's worth per rivals we have the #1 center recruit in the country and one of the top ranked PF/C 's coming inmwith God's gift.  I'd say we're entering the season in decent shape, even though we're young in the post.  One tall, slender shot blocker, one tank.
The team will need more than that. Squads like Georgetown and Seton Hall and Rutgers have 4+ man rotations in the post - they'll stay fresh and be physical.

I don't think it'll be enough. If Gathers is actually thinking of coming for 2011, and comes to St. John's, that won't be enough - but it will be much closer.

« Reply #229 on: June 16, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »
The team will need more than that. Squads like Georgetown and Seton Hall and Rutgers have 4+ man rotations in the post - they'll stay fresh and be physical.

I don't think it'll be enough. If Gathers is actually thinking of coming for 2011, and comes to St. John's, that won't be enough - but it will be much closer.

Seton Hall (Pope and Johnson) and Rutgers (Biruta and Jack) may have guys in the post who could cause some trouble, but G'town's post men doesn't do it for me.  Not to mention, I don't really four bigs from either Seton Hall or Rutgers seriously being a threat.  IMO, two at the most.

IMO, I believe Pelle, GG and to an extent, Sampson, will be able to hold their own.  If, we were to add Gathers for 2011 (which, it seems like he's gonna stay in the class of 2012) then that would be enough going forward. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #230 on: June 16, 2011, 02:48:05 PM »

Seton Hall (Pope and Johnson) and Rutgers (Biruta and Jack) may have guys in the post who could cause some trouble, but G'town's post men doesn't do it for me.  Not to mention, I don't really four bigs from either Seton Hall or Rutgers seriously being a threat.  IMO, two at the most.

IMO, I believe Pelle, GG and to an extent, Sampson, will be able to hold their own.  If, we were to add Gathers for 2011 (which, it seems like he's gonna stay in the class of 2012) then that would be enough going forward. 
It's not about all 4 being a threat. It's about having depth to rotate when there's foul trouble, being able to withstand injuries, et cetera. We'll have our differing opinions on this; to me, the Johnnies had better play some very good perimeter defense  and force turnovers to mitigate the lack of bodies in the post.  I mentioned squads with okay big men, but deep rotations; Cuse and Connecticut and Louisville will be problems inside, too - but they'll be problems for everyone. And if Mike Brey releases his trio of 6'9" big men...

I think Pelle will be nice. And I hope you're right. But I think Pelle and GG, even if they're a 2 man rotation, will run into trouble with fouls or ineffectiveness.

« Reply #231 on: June 16, 2011, 03:03:06 PM »

It's not about all 4 being a threat. It's about having depth to rotate when there's foul trouble, being able to withstand injuries, et cetera. We'll have our differing opinions on this; to me, the Johnnies had better play some very good perimeter defense  and force turnovers to mitigate the lack of bodies in the post.  I mentioned squads with okay big men, but deep rotations; Cuse and Connecticut and Louisville will be problems inside, too - but they'll be problems for everyone. And if Mike Brey releases his trio of 6'9" big men...

I think Pelle will be nice. And I hope you're right. But I think Pelle and GG, even if they're a 2 man rotation, will run into trouble with fouls or ineffectiveness.

In some cases, depth isn't worth looking down the bench.  For instance, let's say The Hall's and Rutgers's 3rd and 4th bigs are in the mold of Tomas Jasiulionis and Dele Coker.  Would you actually consider it to be depth?  I'm just using an example on how depth isn't worth the coach looking down his bench. 

I know 'Cuse, UCONN and Louisville will pose threats with their bigs.  I'm sure there will be situations where Pelle and GG will encounter foul trouble; be ineffective or both.  I also feel confident in saying there will be a few games where we get sufficient play from our frontcourt.  Not to mention, we're gonna put a very, long and athletic bunch on the floor.  I think our zone will be a bit tougher to deal with with this incoming bunch.   

MCNPA

« Reply #232 on: June 16, 2011, 11:12:23 PM »

In some cases, depth isn't worth looking down the bench.  For instance, let's say The Hall's and Rutgers's 3rd and 4th bigs are in the mold of Tomas Jasiulionis and Dele Coker.  Would you actually consider it to be depth?  I'm just using an example on how depth isn't worth the coach looking down his bench. 

I know 'Cuse, UCONN and Louisville will pose threats with their bigs.  I'm sure there will be situations where Pelle and GG will encounter foul trouble; be ineffective or both.  I also feel confident in saying there will be a few games where we get sufficient play from our frontcourt.  Not to mention, we're gonna put a very, long and athletic bunch on the floor.  I think our zone will be a bit tougher to deal with with this incoming bunch.   

Who does Syracuse have in the post if Melo is convicted?  Nobody except Keita.  Seton Hall?  You've got to be kidding me.  Pope and Geramipoor...maybe the PF Mobley?  Uconn aside from Oriakhi has nobody except some big German named Eunuch Wolf.  Not afraid of any Eunuch's. ;) RU has some decent young bigs, but nothing to be scared of.  We have Pelle, GG and Jakarr which, while we could use ne more like Gathers, is not bad at all compared to most of our competition.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:15:16 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #233 on: June 16, 2011, 11:32:17 PM »
Marcus, you forgot Rakeem Christmas on Syracuse but in essence you're right.  Big men are hard to come by in college hoops.   That said Sampson's supposedly not a true big either so I think what folks are saying is STJ is going into the season with two bigs and that can be tough.  Most BE teams have a few 6-7/8 guys like Sampson that can be used as bigs in a pinch and you're not counting them on the other teams.

Poison

« Reply #234 on: June 17, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
When was the last time Syracuse didn't have enough size?
Don't forget they'll probably get that big man from Detroit back from a medical redshift.

« Reply #235 on: June 17, 2011, 02:13:41 AM »
cj fair is gonna be a beast for the cuse
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #236 on: June 17, 2011, 08:36:31 AM »
When was the last time Syracuse didn't have enough size?
Don't forget they'll probably get that big man from Detroit back from a medical redshift.

DaShonte Riley....  He transferred to Eastern Michigan.  He followed 'Cuse assistant coach, Rob Murphy, who took the head job at EMU.

« Reply #237 on: June 17, 2011, 01:48:11 PM »
cj fair is gonna be a beast for the cuse

He's one of those guys I was thinking of when I made that comment about Sampson.  Unprototypical big guys  who don't play the big guy position like him, Roscoe Smith, Kev Jones and Kilicli at WVU, Swopshire, even Jae Crowder and others down the line. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #238 on: June 17, 2011, 04:26:07 PM »
We will have more quality bigs this year than last year, and we know how last years team performed. This is Lavin's first recruiting class, give him some time, he'll bring in the bigs. 

MCNPA

« Reply #239 on: June 17, 2011, 09:34:31 PM »
Marcus, you forgot Rakeem Christmas on Syracuse but in essence you're right.  Big men are hard to come by in college hoops.   That said Sampson's supposedly not a true big either so I think what folks are saying is STJ is going into the season with two bigs and that can be tough.  Most BE teams have a few 6-7/8 guys like Sampson that can be used as bigs in a pinch and you're not counting them on the other teams.

Yank, I have news for you.  Jakarr is the same size as Christmas.