Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - IONA

• 1080 replies

Moose

Re: Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #300 on: July 06, 2011, 08:00:12 PM »

No offense but I'll hold off with the qualifying talk until he still steps foot on campus.

Yea I am actually worried that he is taking summer courses at another school rather than St. John's.  My worry is the coaching staff is worried that he won't qualify and thus don't want him to enroll at St. John's quite yet and risk his future eligibility with us.

He probably cant enroll until he's qualified.  He's probably missing a grade in a class so he can't take a course at SJU just yet.  It is "expected" that he will be qualified and usually when these kids are making up a class, they make it through.

The 6-foot-10 Pelle is taking a six-week program at the Rise Academy here at Philadelphia University and expects to be fully qualified at the end. St. John’s does not offer summer high school classes, thus his presence here.

The same Rise Academy?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/25/sports/ncaabasketball/25preps.html
Remember who broke the Slice news

SJUFAN

« Reply #301 on: July 06, 2011, 08:02:46 PM »

No offense but I'll hold off with the qualifying talk until he still steps foot on campus.

Yea I am actually worried that he is taking summer courses at another school rather than St. John's.  My worry is the coaching staff is worried that he won't qualify and thus don't want him to enroll at St. John's quite yet and risk his future eligibility with us.

He probably cant enroll until he's qualified.  He's probably missing a grade in a class so he can't take a course at SJU just yet.  It is "expected" that he will be qualified and usually when these kids are making up a class, they make it through.

The 6-foot-10 Pelle is taking a six-week program at the Rise Academy here at Philadelphia University and expects to be fully qualified at the end. St. John’s does not offer summer high school classes, thus his presence here.

I think its odd that he came all the way to the east coast to take a HS course when I'm sure there are other options in California. I think this may be done by design inorder for the staff to keep an eye on his progress and make sure he does what needs to be done. 

MCNPA

« Reply #302 on: July 06, 2011, 08:52:47 PM »

The same Rise Academy?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/25/sports/ncaabasketball/25preps.html

Probably Moose.  Happens all the time and everywhere you go.  Even happens at the college level ie. University of Phoenix.  Less rigorous courses to get people to their goal.  We've had kids going to schools to catch up for decades.  Even under Louie, we had plenty of kids who were not great students.  Pelle probably came up short in one class and needs this to get him eligible, which is why I say he should likely be eligible.  He went to Price hs which is a real HS and not a degree factory.  If he's only at RISE for a month, he must have come up just short.  Pretty sure he will be able to make it through his one class or so at RISE and gain eligibility. 

« Reply #303 on: July 06, 2011, 08:57:39 PM »

I think its odd that he came all the way to the east coast to take a HS course when I'm sure there are other options in California. I think this may be done by design inorder for the staff to keep an eye on his progress and make sure he does what needs to be done.

Bingo.  The good news is that the twitter stuff from yesterday clearly had nothing to do with him being upset at SJU or having second thoughts about going to SJU.  Obviously coming all the way east to make up a core class or two is a signal that he wants to go to SJU and wants to be close to all of his future teammates for the summer and probably arranged or helped arranged by the staff so they can keep an eye on his progress as well.

Obviously he still has to qualify but again if he had any doubts about qualifying he probably would not have committed to coming east and would be scouting out prep schools right now probably in Cali.  So I am confident on that part as well.

MCNPA

« Reply #304 on: July 06, 2011, 09:13:06 PM »

Bingo.  The good news is that the twitter stuff from yesterday clearly had nothing to do with him being upset at SJU or having second thoughts about going to SJU.  Obviously coming all the way east to make up a core class or two is a signal that he wants to go to SJU and wants to be close to all of his future teammates for the summer and probably arranged or helped arranged by the staff so they can keep an eye on his progress as well.

Obviously he still has to qualify but again if he had any doubts about qualifying he probably would not have committed to coming east and would be scouting out prep schools right now probably in Cali.  So I am confident on that part as well.
to

Exactly.  Maybe why the Findlay rumors came up.  He might have originally thought he was going to come up shorter than he did.  The fact that he's taking classes here for a month means he doesnt need an entire extra year, just a class or so.  I think Pelle will be ok.  Not waiting to hear about Nuri and Jakarr...

Marillac

« Reply #305 on: July 06, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »
We need this kid!!!!

« Reply #306 on: July 06, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »

to

Exactly.  Maybe why the Findlay rumors came up.  He might have originally thought he was going to come up shorter than he did.  The fact that he's taking classes here for a month means he doesnt need an entire extra year, just a class or so.  I think Pelle will be ok.  Not waiting to hear about Nuri and Jakarr...

I think JaKarr was set to check in today as well.

I am actually not worried at all about Lindsey.  The two that scared me were Pointer and Pelle but more and ore my concerns are being assuaged.

« Reply #307 on: July 06, 2011, 10:18:48 PM »
Good news on Pelle and it's great to have him close by while he finishes up...He's probably mad that he has to spend part of his summer doing this and I wouldn't blame him if he was...The staff will be able to be close to him and help him make sure this gets done

He is a huge part of this class and I can't wait to see him manning the middle for St. John's

MCNPA

« Reply #308 on: July 06, 2011, 11:33:51 PM »

to

I think JaKarr was set to check in today as well.

I am actually not worried at all about Lindsey.  The two that scared me were Pointer and Pelle but more and ore my concerns are being assuaged.

Great to hear about Jakarr.  Pointer is on campus as is everybody else except Pelle and Lindsey.  Looks like things are really coming together.  It seems like we should have all of our guys here.  We will need them.

MCNPA

« Reply #309 on: July 06, 2011, 11:52:35 PM »
Good news on Pelle and it's great to have him close by while he finishes up...He's probably mad that he has to spend part of his summer doing this and I wouldn't blame him if he was...The staff will be able to be close to him and help him make sure this gets done

He is a huge part of this class and I can't wait to see him manning the middle for St. John's

On a bball note, I think that Norvel is one of those guys that will need quite a bit of work and a bit of patience by both the staff and fans.  It seems he needs some maturing both on and off the court.  He's a heck of a shot-blocker and has amazing athleticism, but he has a lot to learn on the offensive and and needs muscle and footwork.  Regardless, he'll be difficult to shoot over and is too athletic for even wings to drive around.  Great having a bull like GG to compliment Pelle. 

« Reply #310 on: July 07, 2011, 09:28:31 AM »
I just listened to his interview on Zags.  Quite an impressive young man.  I wish him well while at St. John's.  Have we ever had an artist/bb player before?

Poison

« Reply #311 on: July 07, 2011, 09:29:30 AM »
Malik Sealy

MCNPA

« Reply #312 on: July 07, 2011, 09:34:44 AM »
I just listened to his interview on Zags.  Quite an impressive young man.  I wish him well while at St. John's.  Have we ever had an artist/bb player before?

From face value, including his tweets, he seems more bored with school than anything else.  Doesn't sound like a dumb kid.  If the kid majored in Art he'd probably be more successful.

Marillac

« Reply #313 on: July 07, 2011, 01:33:01 PM »
Of all the kids, I feel like Pelle could have used the summer on campus the most.  He's 210 and if he could have opened the season at 220+, we'd be exponentially better down low.  It also seems he needs some fine-tuning offensively.  A summer banging with GG would have made it clear what he needs to do to be Big East ready. 

Wishing him the best, because we haven't had a big man prospect like him in a LONG time.

kjd01067

« Reply #314 on: July 12, 2011, 08:03:20 AM »
I have decided to remove the last couple pages of Norvel's thread because of certain things said and how off topic it became.  The posts aren't deleted and when I get some more time I will try to go through all the posts and bring back the posts that were on topic such as the posts comparing Pelle and Zendon.  If anyone has any concerns, complaints or suggestions you can pm me

Poison

« Reply #315 on: July 12, 2011, 08:27:05 AM »
Pelle reminds me of Mark Blount on Pittsburgh. Hopefully, he'll be better than Blount.

Moose

« Reply #316 on: July 12, 2011, 08:33:30 AM »
Pelle reminds me of Mark Blount on Pittsburgh. Hopefully, he'll be better than Blount.

Physically much different players.  Blount a legit 7 footer.  I remember when he came to play my HS he toyed with the team and the fans.  Everyone wanted him to dunk and he would jump up and just lay it in.  He had some travels in HS for a variety of reasons. 

He played just 1 year at Pitt and averaged 9 and 7 with 2.5 blocks.  If you told me Pelle did that in year 1 I think we would all gladly sign.

He also went on to play almost a decade in the NBA.  Over 600 games.  Made himself over $40 million for his career.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Gumby

« Reply #317 on: July 12, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »
I have decided to remove the last couple pages of Norvel's thread because of certain things said and how off topic it became.  The posts aren't deleted and when I get some more time I will try to go through all the posts and bring back the posts that were on topic such as the posts comparing Pelle and Zendon.  If anyone has any concerns, complaints or suggestions you can pm me

Good move and thanks!

MCNPA

« Reply #318 on: July 17, 2011, 11:07:56 AM »
I don't think I saw this one here before.

Norvel Pelle Dunk Show

« Reply #319 on: July 17, 2011, 11:33:51 AM »
BTW-Apparently according to his twitter Norvel, JaKarr and Amir went to see Harry Potter on Friday.