Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - IONA

• 1080 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #420 on: September 23, 2011, 03:04:39 PM »
What is the point of signing an LOI if you don't have to honor it?

Their LOI was for 2011, not 2012. These kids tried their best to become eligible, it just didn't work out. Until they sign a LOI with another team, lets hold off on the tar and feathers.   

They tried their best? How on earth do we know that?

They all got straight A's....... ;)

« Reply #421 on: September 23, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »

Their LOI was for 2011, not 2012. These kids tried their best to become eligible, it just didn't work out. Until they sign a LOI with another team, lets hold off on the tar and feathers.   

Yes but they werent qualitized

« Reply #422 on: September 23, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »

Your NLI is null and void if you fail to qualify.
That's why we've heard nothing from admin or AD, etc. - the student-athlete becomes a recruit again.  Does that mean the staff has to follow compliance rules all over again too?  So no contact with the players unless it's under the guidelines?  If so, that means the staff (or any school for that matter) can only speak with Norvel, Amir and JaKarr as recruits through the October 5th contact period?

Basically but phone calls and calls to family and coaches involved with the recruits can occur during just about any recruiting period.
Also players can call the coaches.

« Reply #423 on: September 23, 2011, 03:27:51 PM »

Lol straight A's

I can see how a parent would be extremely mad and disappointed ,if SJU sent them to PA to get qualified and their kids did their parts academically but SJU was incompetent in choosing the right academic setting to get them eligible to attend college at SJU.How can the parent trust the SJU again?
It is a learning situation for all parties involved, live and learn. But I have no ill will if they choose to go somewhere else , if they failed over the summer then my views would change
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #424 on: September 23, 2011, 03:31:01 PM »

Your NLI is null and void if you fail to qualify.
That's why we've heard nothing from admin or AD, etc. - the student-athlete becomes a recruit again.  Does that mean the staff has to follow compliance rules all over again too?  So no contact with the players unless it's under the guidelines?  If so, that means the staff (or any school for that matter) can only speak with Norvel, Amir and JaKarr as recruits through the October 5th contact period?

Basically but phone calls and calls to family and coaches involved with the recruits can occur during just about any recruiting period.
Also players can call the coaches.
That's good if the lines of communication remain open at least with family and coaches.  I hope the guys stay in touch with the staff and compliance advisors.

« Reply #425 on: September 23, 2011, 05:50:03 PM »
Latest from Zags on Pelle: Quotes Pelle directly and he says he did not decommit.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/09/22/report-st-johns-pelle-to-prep-school/#more-58308

dR3w

« Reply #426 on: September 23, 2011, 06:12:45 PM »
Lol straight A's

I can see how a parent would be extremely mad and disappointed ,if SJU sent them to PA to get qualified and their kids did their parts academically but SJU was incompetent in choosing the right academic setting to get them eligible to attend college at SJU.How can the parent trust the SJU again?
It is a learning situation for all parties involved, live and learn. But I have no ill will if they choose to go somewhere else , if they failed over the summer then my views would change

I'm not sure if you have followed all the threads, but this institution has never had another student fail to qualify.  At least that is what I have heard thrown out there on different forums.

So I don't think that blaming SJU for sending them to that school is fair.

The unanswered question is why the NCAA failed to qualify them.  I haven't heard any allegations of cheating.  So what is the real story?  I'm sure some people know, but aren't sharing.  Something is rotten in Denmark.

« Reply #427 on: September 23, 2011, 07:37:05 PM »
Lol straight A's

I'm not sure if you have followed all the threads, but this institution has never had another student fail to qualify.  At least that is what I have heard thrown out there on different forums.

The unanswered question is why the NCAA failed to qualify them.  I haven't heard any allegations of cheating.  So what is the real story?  I'm sure some people know, but aren't sharing.  Something is rotten in Denmark.
And it's not the cheese!

« Reply #428 on: September 23, 2011, 09:54:34 PM »
It was the pelle interview on zags where He looked confused on what he was doing at Rise or what was going on seem like bad commutation from the start. But  i guess the players , Lavin & the NCAA take blame for this unfortunate situation just call it 33%

Lol straight A's

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:22:20 AM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

ris

« Reply #429 on: September 24, 2011, 01:41:51 AM »
Why Pelle has been moved to 2012 class?

lihoop

« Reply #430 on: September 24, 2011, 09:28:32 AM »
[Why Pelle has been moved to 2012 class?] 

Maybe we should ask Pelle that question 3 months from now?

« Reply #431 on: September 24, 2011, 09:49:31 AM »

Best guess based on available information.  Article mentions he will spend all year at prep
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

ris

« Reply #432 on: September 24, 2011, 10:02:07 AM »

Best guess based on available information.  Article mentions he will spend all year at prep

Thanks.

crgreen

« Reply #433 on: September 24, 2011, 10:32:51 AM »

Is there a 2nd article?  The Zags article said:

A source close to the Phelps School admission process confirmed that Pelle was on campus there Thursday.

“He’s as good as enrolled,” the source told SNY.tv, confirming news first reported by Keith Pompey of Philly.com.

The source said he was still under the impression that Pelle wanted to attend St. John’s, but it was unclear when he might become eligible.

“If something happens between now and January and he can be in college for the second semester we’ll certainly help him get there,” the source said.

MCNPA

« Reply #434 on: September 24, 2011, 10:45:44 AM »

Is there a 2nd article?  The Zags article said:

A source close to the Phelps School admission process confirmed that Pelle was on campus there Thursday.

“He’s as good as enrolled,” the source told SNY.tv, confirming news first reported by Keith Pompey of Philly.com.

The source said he was still under the impression that Pelle wanted to attend St. John’s, but it was unclear when he might become eligible.

“If something happens between now and January and he can be in college for the second semester we’ll certainly help him get there,” the source said.

Thanks CR.  Really hope that Norvel sees this thing out and stays with SJU, whether it be this season or does the entire prep year and suits up in 2012.

NYCoffey

« Reply #435 on: September 24, 2011, 10:46:21 AM »
Lol straight A's

From what I understand, they couldn't produce sufficient evidence that they got the A's, such as graded tests and papers. I am not sure if this is completely accurate because nothing official was released as to the reasons. But I know this is a reason that I have heard a few times. I don't get this part because why wouldn't someone have the tests and such to show the NCAA.

crgreen

« Reply #436 on: September 24, 2011, 11:52:13 AM »
Lol straight A's

From what I understand, they couldn't produce sufficient evidence that they got the A's, such as graded tests and papers. I am not sure if this is completely accurate because nothing official was released as to the reasons. But I know this is a reason that I have heard a few times. I don't get this part because why wouldn't someone have the tests and such to show the NCAA.

I know student-athletes don't get too far trying to take on the NCAA, but wouldn't the teachers of those courses at Rise Academy have a decent shot at the NCAA in court?   If the above is true, the NCAA has basically just accused all of the instructors who dealt with the three kids of being liars and cheaters, submitting false documents, etc.

Pretty serious accusations, the kind that destroy careers....

gman

« Reply #437 on: September 24, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »

I know student-athletes don't get too far trying to take on the NCAA, but wouldn't the teachers of those courses at Rise Academy have a decent shot at the NCAA in court?   If the above is true, the NCAA has basically just accused all of the instructors who dealt with the three kids of being liars and cheaters, submitting false documents, etc.

From what I can tell, Rise isn't a school.  It's an academy that works with schools in the area.  So it's not Rise, but the underlying schools that have a black eye imo.

« Reply #438 on: September 24, 2011, 01:48:57 PM »

From what I can tell, Rise isn't a school.  It's an academy that works with schools in the area.  So it's not Rise, but the underlying schools that have a black eye imo.
]

These 3 got some bad advice

« Reply #439 on: September 24, 2011, 02:04:28 PM »
Some one posted a site which claimed that only two courses could be attended in a summer session with an exception for dyslectic students.  Implication being St. John's was claiming all three were dyslectic. Does anyone know if there is a truth to this claim?