Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - IONA

• 1080 replies
Re: Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #500 on: October 08, 2011, 12:12:04 AM »
I have posted this before-since I was a frosh at St J 72'73 I have never seen a big man like Pelle at St J and now I have to worry that I still wont. Come on Norvelle get the grades and come back to the teepee.

« Reply #501 on: October 08, 2011, 12:15:54 AM »
I have posted this before-since I was a frosh at St J 72'73 I have never seen a big man like Pelle at St J and now I have to worry that I still wont. Come on Norvelle get the grades and come back to the teepee.

What about Phil Waite  ;D

SJUFAN

« Reply #502 on: October 08, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
I think its a great sign he said much luv coach. Seems to be referring to him as his coach

Yeah but the 2nd line about 'this year' I'm not enamored with.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. He just very well may be wishing his team good luck this year while he is away.

Instead of wishing the team good luck this year or this semester or whatever, I would have felt a whole lot better if he had written something like "till I join you" or "till I get there" (or, given his tweets, grammatical variations thereof). From what I'm seeing, I'm not overly optimistic about Pelle ever coming here, but next to Harkless and maybe Harrison, but he's the guy I wanted the most -- his size, quickness, and presence in the middle would make a major difference. Just wish he'd sound more like Amir in his commitment to this team.

Sure I would like him to sound more like Amir, but why dont we focus more on what he hasn't said, which is that he is opening up his recruitment. He has not decommited from the school. There is a reason why he signed on to play with Lavin and company, that same reason still exist. I am optimistic that not only is Pelle still coming here, but he will be here in December. Everything he has done (or hasn't done) suggests that. 

Wods317

« Reply #503 on: October 08, 2011, 08:00:43 PM »
The kid has been quiet and is back in school, those are good signs to me. We would all love for him to say that he loves SJU and he will be here in December but not every kid is a dedicated as Amir seems to be. The only info that we have now is that he is committed to us and working on getting qualified. We need this kid but to analyze his tweets will drive you nuts, just let it play out and we will know soon enough what he will do.

Poison

« Reply #504 on: October 08, 2011, 09:30:48 PM »
Do you think Norvelle knows why he's not eligible?

MCNPA

« Reply #505 on: October 11, 2011, 03:52:55 PM »
Amir tweeted that he'll be at midnight madness this Friday.  Shortly afteR, Norvel tweeted "Guess where I'm gonna be this Friday?".   I think it is pretty apparent that Norvel is still on board.  He's prepping in Philly and seems he'll be at midnight madness this week.  He's a very important recruit for us.  I think he's a kid that has probably felt that he hasn't needed to re-affirm his commitment as he never had a reason to as he hasn't changes his mind.  It would be huge to have rivals #1 center come aboard for the big east schedule.

kjd01067

« Reply #506 on: October 11, 2011, 04:11:54 PM »
Amir tweeted that he'll be at midnight madness this Friday.  Shortly afteR, Norvel tweeted "Guess where I'm gonna be this Friday?".   I think it is pretty apparent that Norvel is still on board.  He's prepping in Philly and seems he'll be at midnight madness this week.  He's a very important recruit for us.  I think he's a kid that has probably felt that he hasn't needed to re-affirm his commitment as he never had a reason to as he hasn't changes his mind.  It would be huge to have rivals #1 center come aboard for the big east schedule.

Agreed.  If he shows up for midnight madness it would be a great sign to where his allegiance lies

MCNPA

« Reply #507 on: October 11, 2011, 04:13:57 PM »

Agreed.  If he shows up for midnight madness it would be a great sign to where his allegiance lies

Hey, who would have thought that the most important recruits at our 2011 midnight madness would be 2011 signees? Lol. Well, McCullough is a big one too...

« Reply #508 on: October 11, 2011, 08:19:51 PM »
Norvelle you da man! Johnnies all the way baby! Hope to see you in the lineup in DEC! :)

sju89tr

« Reply #509 on: October 12, 2011, 09:49:46 AM »
People at MM need to show their support to Norvel and Amir, as well as Rico and Wood if they both attend, we need no further defections from the program. The fans students etc. need to be vocal

« Reply #510 on: October 12, 2011, 10:11:36 AM »
Every time I see Pelle post on twitter or Facebook, he makes it sound like he knows he's not going to be eligible this season.  He keeps referring to playing "next year."

From today:
Norvel Pelle It's hard but its only goin to help me get better for nxt yr.

I've already prepared myself to not have Amir, Pelle, or Sampson suit up.  I know it's not optimistic, but looks like the most realistic scenario.

sju89tr

« Reply #511 on: October 12, 2011, 10:26:19 AM »
Every time I see Pelle post on twitter or Facebook, he makes it sound like he knows he's not going to be eligible this season.  He keeps referring to playing "next year."

From today:

I've already prepared myself to not have Amir, Pelle, or Sampson suit up.  I know it's not optimistic, but looks like the most realistic scenario.

I hope that is not the case but if so, let's hope he signs his LOI to stay with St Johns. We really need him more than either Amir or Sampson this year due to his size   

SJUFAN

« Reply #512 on: October 12, 2011, 01:44:13 PM »

From today:

Could he mean it literally? It's possible he maybe referring to next calendar year. I only say this because if he has to do a whole year I don't understand why the staff put him into summer school to try and get qualified if it was not for this year. I also don't believe he would be prepping on the east coast if he had to do a entire school year. We will see, just keep getting those A's Pelle!   

sju89tr

« Reply #513 on: October 12, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »

From today:

Could he mean it literally? It's possible he maybe referring to next calendar year. I only say this because if he has to do a whole year I don't understand why the staff put him into summer school to try and get qualified if it was not for this year. I also don't believe he would be prepping on the east coast if he had to do a entire school year. We will see, just keep getting those A's Pelle!

Good point, he would likely be at Findlay if he had to do an entire year

pmg911

« Reply #514 on: October 12, 2011, 02:20:24 PM »
Guys  - I am pretty sure its all but impossible for these kids to play this year for St. John's.

There are NCAA rules regarding how you are permitted to go about replacing Core GPA classes and these kids didn't replace their core classes with in the time frame allowed by the NCAA rules. Unless there is a loop hole I don't know about (which certainly can be the case), neither Norvel or Amir will be suiting up for St. John's this season. Sampson has already said he is attending the entire year @ Brewster.

Under normal circumstances a player can replace one core class for his GPA within 3 months of his graduation from high school. If a player is officially "labled" as having having a learning disability, as these three players were, you can replace 3 core classes. All three players were in RISE to replace 3 core classes within the 3 month time frame and didn't get it done or at least the NCAA declared they didn't get it done. The window for these kids to get their grades in order closed and they all now have to do another full year at school getting the needed grades.

I apologize if I am not understanding the rules correctly and please let me know if I am wrong but I think I understand the rules correctly.

« Reply #515 on: October 12, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »
Guys  - I am pretty sure its all but impossible for these kids to play this year for St. John's.

There are NCAA rules regarding how you are permitted to go about replacing Core GPA classes and these kids didn't replace their core classes with in the time frame allowed by the NCAA rules. Unless there is a loop hole I don't know about (which certainly can be the case), neither Norvel or Amir will be suiting up for St. John's this season. Sampson has already said he is attending the entire year @ Brewster.

Under normal circumstances a player can replace one core class for his GPA within 3 months of his graduation from high school. If a player is officially "labled" as having having a learning disability, as these three players were, you can replace 3 core classes. All three players were in RISE to replace 3 core classes within the 3 month time frame and didn't get it done or at least the NCAA declared they didn't get it done. The window for these kids to get their grades in order closed and they all now have to do another full year at school getting the needed grades.

I apologize if I am not understanding the rules correctly and please let me know if I am wrong but I think I understand the rules correctly.

The reasons and classes vary for all 3 so it is not fair to lump them in.  Lot of misinformation by the media.  JaKarr was a bit of a Hail Mary to begin with. It is possible that the other 2 could gain eligiblity by December.  They may not but rules do not prohibit this.

And see LaQuinton Ross as evidence.  He was declared a non-qualifier by the NCAA at Ohio St.  Plans to go home complete I believe 1 or 2 classes and retake his boards in time to enroll and clear by December at Ohio St.

« Reply #516 on: October 12, 2011, 03:03:52 PM »
LaQuinton Ross:

But Ross’ coach the past two years at Life Center Academy in Burlington, N.J., Wilson Arroyo, said the 6-foot-8, 225-pound wing could become eligible after fall quarter ends Dec. 8. Arroyo said his understanding of the rule is that Ross would not have to wait until the start of winter quarter Jan. 3.

“Once you become eligible, you’re eligible,” he said. “School doesn’t have to be in session.”

The best-case scenario, in that case, is Ross would miss eight games.

Ross could become eligible, Arroyo said, in this way:

•  He passes online math and English courses similar to those in which his grades were red-flagged by the NCAA this summer;

•  He retakes the ACT and SAT college entrance exams;

•  His revised cumulative high-school grade-point average, combined with his ACT or SAT score, are sufficient for initial eligibility according to the NCAA’s “sliding scale.”

Upcoming test dates are Oct. 22 and Dec. 10 for the ACT, and Oct. 1 and Nov. 5 for the SAT. Arroyo said Ross will take both tests to maximize his chances for becoming eligible.

Ross’ eligibility has been in question since August, when Bucknuts.com reported that two “D” grades Ross received while in high school in Jackson were registered erroneously as “C” on his official transcript.

Jackson schools changed to a grade scale in 2009 in which previous “D” scores became “C.” But the change was not retroactive, the NCAA ruled Ross’ grades would remain “D,” and that, combined with his test score, made him ineligible on the NCAA’s sliding scale. Ohio State appealed but was denied.

http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/stories/2011/09/27/ohio-state-freshman-declared-ineligible.html

pmg911

« Reply #517 on: October 12, 2011, 03:42:18 PM »
Fordham - I am not sure how you are understanding the rules but they were explained to me by local Div I head coach. He told me they are very clear cut regarding how players can go about replacing classes that apply to their core GPA.

« Reply #518 on: October 12, 2011, 03:55:53 PM »
Fordham - I am not sure how you are understanding the rules but they were explained to me by local Div I head coach. He told me they are very clear cut regarding how players can go about replacing classes that apply to their core GPA.

I don't understand your point.  First off you don't know exactly why they were not cleared and secondly you do not understand what classes they need to finish.

More importantly how do you explain how Shaq Thomas had to leave Cincy to go back and complete classes online during the summer to qualify at Cincy?  He literally did that in a few weeks.

LaQuinton Ross is going to try to do that in a couple of months.

I don't care who you talked to.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:56:49 PM by fordham96 »

MCNPA

« Reply #519 on: October 12, 2011, 03:56:49 PM »
LaQuinton Ross:

But Ross’ coach the past two years at Life Center Academy in Burlington, N.J., Wilson Arroyo, said the 6-foot-8, 225-pound wing could become eligible after fall quarter ends Dec. 8. Arroyo said his understanding of the rule is that Ross would not have to wait until the start of winter quarter Jan. 3.

“Once you become eligible, you’re eligible,” he said. “School doesn’t have to be in session.”

The best-case scenario, in that case, is Ross would miss eight games.

Ross could become eligible, Arroyo said, in this way:

•  He passes online math and English courses similar to those in which his grades were red-flagged by the NCAA this summer;

•  He retakes the ACT and SAT college entrance exams;

•  His revised cumulative high-school grade-point average, combined with his ACT or SAT score, are sufficient for initial eligibility according to the NCAA’s “sliding scale.”

Upcoming test dates are Oct. 22 and Dec. 10 for the ACT, and Oct. 1 and Nov. 5 for the SAT. Arroyo said Ross will take both tests to maximize his chances for becoming eligible.

Ross’ eligibility has been in question since August, when Bucknuts.com reported that two “D” grades Ross received while in high school in Jackson were registered erroneously as “C” on his official transcript.

Jackson schools changed to a grade scale in 2009 in which previous “D” scores became “C.” But the change was not retroactive, the NCAA ruled Ross’ grades would remain “D,” and that, combined with his test score, made him ineligible on the NCAA’s sliding scale. Ohio State appealed but was denied.

http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/stories/2011/09/27/ohio-state-freshman-declared-ineligible.html

I think you're on the right track Fordham.  Pelle re-took his SAT's a week or two ago...  It would see, that is the route he is aiming for.  Regardless of the fact that I'd love to get him in December, even if we don't, it is equally imperative at we keep both Amir and Norvel on board and headed to SJU.  Both are money players, and regardless of what happens this season, it is extremely important to at least keep them for the 2012 recruiting class.  I've left Jakarr out of the equation for now because I'm not counting on him.

If Pelle gets a reasonable score coupled with A's in his classes at Phelps, it seems he has a decent shot to be here in December ala LaQuinton Ross...