Daouda Soumaoro - C - OSNA - Mali, Africa - TEXAS TECH

• 142 replies
Re: Daouda Soumaoro - C - OSNA - Mali, Africa - TEXAS TECH
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »
Do not believe a kid that was recruited by a school can walk on by NCAA rule. Not sure if we recruited him. Besides ST J is an awfully expensive school to walk on when I am sure there are other D1 schools willing to offer a schollie. That said we could certainly use some big man depth but not sure he is talented enough to offer a schoolie.

Moose

« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2011, 03:38:09 PM »
Do not believe a kid that was recruited by a school can walk on by NCAA rule. Not sure if we recruited him. Besides ST J is an awfully expensive school to walk on when I am sure there are other D1 schools willing to offer a schollie. That said we could certainly use some big man depth but not sure he is talented enough to offer a schoolie.

I'd love to know more about that rule.  Because there have been many instances when scholarship players walk on.  A variety of factors come into play of course.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2011, 04:11:05 PM »

I'd love to know more about that rule.  Because there have been many instances when scholarship players walk on.  A variety of factors come into play of course.
Maybe just football? Have to admit I am not really sure.

Moose

« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2011, 04:31:50 PM »

Maybe just football? Have to admit I am not really sure.

I recall it being mentioned with DeAndre.  But how is it managed.  I suggested back then maybe its people who officially visit a school who cant walk on.  But even that I'm sure people have.  Maybe its only within the same school but transfers are allowed.  Who knows haha

« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2011, 09:18:42 PM »
Moose...see the definition of a recruited athlete below. 

A recruited athlete can walk on and play but IF he receives any financial aid he will count against the scholarship count as soon as he starts playing in games.

Recruited Prospective Student-Athlete. 

Actions by staff members or athletics representatives that cause a prospective student-athlete to become a recruited prospective student-athlete at that institution are:  (Revised: 1/10/90, 1/11/94 effective 8/1/94, 1/10/05 effective 8/01/05)

(a) Providing the prospective student-athlete with an official visit;  (Adopted: 1/11/94 effective 8/1/94)

(b) Having an arranged, in-person, off-campus encounter with the prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete's parents, relatives or legal guardians;   (Adopted: 1/11/94 effective 8/1/94)

(c) Initiating or arranging a telephone contact with the prospective student-athlete, the prospective student-athlete's relatives or legal guardians on more than one occasion for the purpose of recruitment; or  (Revised: 1/11/94 effective 8/1/94)

(d) Issuing a National Letter of Intent or the institution's written offer of athletically related financial aid to the prospective student-athlete.   Issuing a written offer of athletically related financial aid to a prospective student-athlete to attend a summer session prior to full-time enrollment does not cause the prospective student-athlete to become recruited.  (Adopted: 1/10/05 effective 8/1/05, Revised:  12/13/05)

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2011, 09:25:04 PM »
No legs to all your conspiracy theories....

He got to TT and they realized he was no way near what they thought he would be and for both parties it was best to part ways.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

ras

« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2011, 09:13:10 PM »
With todays news hes beginning to look pretty good, We desperately need another big.

Moose

« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2011, 09:20:56 PM »
With todays news hes beginning to look pretty good, We desperately need another big.

But unless his family has a pot of money he can't come here this season.

ras

« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2011, 10:22:40 PM »
Why cant he get a scholi if he was released from his LOI by Texas Tech?

Moose

« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »
Why cant he get a scholi if he was released from his LOI by Texas Tech?

Pretty sure he picked up and left after taking summer courses.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2011, 11:40:48 PM »
No legs to all your conspiracy theories....

He got to TT and they realized he was no way near what they thought he would be and for both parties it was best to part ways.
The sad part of hurried Spring recruiting strikes again.

LJSA

« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2011, 12:51:24 AM »
But unless his family has a pot of money he can't come here this season.

I guess the NCAA has a rule about immediate eligibility due to walk-on status, and then being put on scholarship second semester?

ras

« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2011, 12:26:56 PM »
The NCAA seems to have a rule about everything.

Moose

« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2011, 12:38:42 PM »
The NCAA seems to have a rule about everything.

Pretty much.  95% don't make any sense either.

« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2011, 02:14:23 PM »
Most of their rules are necessary to protect Calipari from all the vultures out there who would prey on his potential recruits and interrupt his streak of #1 ranked classes.

ras

« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2011, 02:52:52 PM »
This has nothing to do with Gathers. It has to do with getting another center. If his family does not have much money and he could play this year as a walkon he could get financial aid. There is about a 0% chance of all this years recruited players coming next year,and I wish I am wrong with this statistic.Remember GG would be gone in 2 years and Soumaoro could turn out to be very good. If he can play immidiately I think it is worth the risk.Even if one was an optimist and believed Garret and Pelle will qualify in Dec. We have no backups at the 3-5 positions for the first semester. Lavin would never risk Gathers, he is a must have for next year.

Moose

« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2011, 02:54:50 PM »
This has nothing to do with Gathers. It has to do with getting another center. If his family does not have much money and he could play this year as a walkon he could get financial aid. There is about a 0% chance of all this years recruited players coming next year,and I wish I am wrong with this statistic.Remember GG would be gone in 2 years and Soumaoro could turn out to be very good. If he can play immidiately I think it is worth the risk.Even if one was an optimist and believed Garret and Pelle will qualify in Dec. We have no backups at the 3-5 positions for the first semester. Lavin would never risk Gathers, he is a must have for next year.

If you look back it was mentioned he cannot get financial aid because he was recruited as a scholarship player.  The only way he can walk on is if he (aka his parents) pay for his schooling.

Dave also mentioned he left Tech because he seemed in over his head in terms of talent.  If he can't hack it there he most likely won't here either.

ras

« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2011, 03:16:23 PM »
Are there any good Centers in 2012 recruitng class we could look at?

NYCoffey

« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »
We were involved with Joel James and another guy named Blaise (last name is to hard to spell). They are both top 100 in the class of 2012 and both centers. I think we are off both their lists now. Probably because we didn't need any centers before this whole debacle, so the staff probably backed off. I am curious if they start touching base with these two guys. If not there is probably a JUCO They can go after. Either way I am confident Lavin and the staff will be on top of it.

NYCoffey

« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2011, 08:00:23 PM »
We were involved with Joel James and another guy named Blaise (last name is to hard to spell). They are both top 100 in the class of 2012 and both centers. I think we are off both their lists now. Probably because we didn't need any centers before this whole debacle, so the staff probably backed off. I am curious if they start touching base with these two guys. If not there is probably a JUCO They can go after. Either way I am confident Lavin and the staff will be on top of it.