Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

crgreen

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #260 on: July 14, 2011, 11:09:54 PM »
I sometimes get the feeling that the NCAA is still mad about Jarvis' rape comment way back when.

Thats 2 regimes removed.  I think they are just incompetent all around.

It's quite convenient for the NCAA that most of the kids they f with don't have the resources to challenge them.

I'm sure it's happened since, but it's pretty sad that Kenny thomas is the last guy I remember really standing up to them and winning.

One of Steve's first recruits also stood up to them - and won.  But it took him almost 3 years and 2 years of his eligibility.   McD AA Schea Cotton -  the NCAA clearing house not only stopped him from playing for Steve at UCLA, but after he challenged them in court, they aslo stopped him from playing for UNC-Charlotte 2 seasons later.   He won in court that third year, and they had to let him play for Alabama.  He played one year of JC ball while being force to sit out (28 pts 8 rebs), then in his one year in the SEC, 15pts and 6 rebs...

4 years later they did it to Steve again, this time with McD AA Evan Burns.   Declared him ineligible due to a questionable "core" class at his high school.  The cirruculum had been set up by his school counselors, with that core class previously accepted by the NCAA for SEVERAL other athletes from that school.   UCLA didnt' accept partial qualifiers, and so couldn't give Evan his scholie till the clearinghouse made their "decision".   The kid couldn't afford college without the Scholie - so he enrolled instead at San Diego State (that was the final year they WOULD accpept partial-qualifiers).   The clearinghouse almost immediately declared the class "valid" and the kid eligible.   Burns was Mountain West Freshman of the year.  A terrible knee injury at the end of that frosh season pretty much ended his career...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:14:12 PM by crgreen »

LJSA

« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2011, 11:15:46 PM »
What happened with Kenny Thomas? I dont remember that

I think the NCAA tried to keep him from playing, but Thomas got an injunction and played anyway. Then I think he sued them -- but my memory is hazy on details.

NYCoffey

« Reply #262 on: July 21, 2011, 10:22:31 AM »
Per his twitter he will be at St. Johns on August 30th.

Khalid McCaskill
khalidmccaskill Khalid McCaskill
@
@KarrSampson14 damn son wen u goin to st johns?
14 hours ago
in reply to ↑
JaKarr Sampson
@KarrSampson14 JaKarr Sampson
@khalidmccaskill hahaha I start August 30

http://twitter.com/#!/KarrSampson14

pk

« Reply #263 on: July 21, 2011, 03:57:58 PM »
Coffey, thanks for the post. Nice to read.  :)

MCNPA

« Reply #264 on: July 21, 2011, 04:00:39 PM »
Good news. Probably when the others will be arriving as well.

« Reply #265 on: July 24, 2011, 05:53:56 PM »
My son was at a Party with Jakaar last night. All good. He said he loves coach Lavin, looking forward to the season.

« Reply #266 on: July 24, 2011, 09:12:33 PM »
where is jakarr partying with your son? last thing we need is this kid getting caught underage drinking at some house party....not that im assuming that is something your son does

Moose

« Reply #267 on: July 24, 2011, 09:14:44 PM »
where is jakarr partying with your son? last thing we need is this kid getting caught underage drinking at some house party....not that im assuming that is something your son does

Here we go.  Social media got NCAA sniffing around Harkless.  Haven't we learned?  ;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:16:29 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #268 on: July 24, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »

Here we go.  Social media got NCAA sniffing around Harkless.  Haven't we learned?  ;D

Yup. Garrett and the rest of these guys represent St Johns now. Maybe someone should let them know? I would be sure to if I was on the twitter

Moose

« Reply #269 on: July 24, 2011, 09:22:30 PM »

Yup. Garrett and the rest of these guys represent St Johns now. Maybe someone should let them know? I would be sure to if I was on the twitter

I think Amir's tweet was removed.

MCNPA

« Reply #270 on: August 04, 2011, 09:11:04 PM »
"Late night open gym with my St. Johons bros @NorvelPelle5 and @Amir_Garrett"

Good to hear they're getting ready, and don't sound like guys worried about whether they'll be here.

Marillac

« Reply #271 on: August 05, 2011, 08:07:35 AM »

So they can't go to parties anymore?

« Reply #272 on: August 07, 2011, 01:03:20 PM »
Jakarr, Norvel and Amir all played together at the Kingdome in Harlem yesterday before rain ended the game early. Pelle def has a couple inches on Jakarr, anything thrown near the rim is his. Can't wait to see them in St Johns Uni's. Time to break out sunglasses cause the future is bright

Marillac

« Reply #273 on: August 07, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »
Jakarr, Norvel and Amir all played together at the Kingdome in Harlem yesterday before rain ended the game early. Pelle def has a couple inches on Jakarr, anything thrown near the rim is his. Can't wait to see them in St Johns Uni's. Time to break out sunglasses cause the future is bright
Great to hear that Norvelle was a man out there.  Any specifics?

« Reply #274 on: August 07, 2011, 01:40:46 PM »
Norvel was least skilled offensively of the 3 but anything near the rim was thrown down on O or out of there on D. Jakarr has better handle than i thought and long arms. he dunked on someones head jumpin flat-footed, led the break a couple of times. Amir is a straight athlete. He played point alot yesterday did ok as pg(do not see him as pg in college) set shot lil flat but was the best of the 3. he scored on an array of short jumpers slashing to the hole and dunking on whoever stood in way.

« Reply #275 on: August 07, 2011, 01:45:15 PM »
But to me best of all, they seemed like they have been best friends for years. They were having fun together and seem to be very supportive of each other. Cant wait to see them with the other 6 doing damage for the next few years! 

« Reply #276 on: August 07, 2011, 01:53:26 PM »
thanks for the updates ripdumaine! If you had to guess from seeing the three of them together what would you say their height is
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #277 on: August 07, 2011, 01:56:39 PM »
thanks for the updates ripdumaine! If you had to guess from seeing the three of them together what would you say their height is

Amir is 6'6
Jakarr is 6'8
Only time I saw Pelle was when he visited STJ with Amir and he had a couple inches on Amir.

Marillac

« Reply #278 on: August 07, 2011, 02:28:08 PM »
Great news.  Big men take much longer to develop, so all I'm looking for Norvel to do is defend the post, rip boards and start the break, and throw it down on the offensive end. 

MCNPA

« Reply #279 on: August 07, 2011, 04:54:07 PM »
Jakarr is at least 6'10" from what I've seen, which is a good thing for us.   He needs to work on some post moves, but he's got really good hands and finishes well around the hoop.  The one thing he has which we haven't had for a long time is fantastic shot blocking ability.  Can't wait to see how he develops.  Jakarr is another kid with a high ceiling.  He is a real good handler in the open court, and gets down with long strides.  The point made that these kids really like each other.  That was by Lavin having them call, text each other all the time as soon as coming on board.  It's great for chemistry.  Another tweet the other day was from Sir'Dom hanging out with buddies Stith and Phil Greene.  These kids are going to have a great time and will get us to another level in a year or two.  Thanks for the reports.