Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies

Wods317

Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #200 on: January 29, 2011, 11:26:04 PM »
Findlay Prep's game versus Bishop Gorman on last weekend. Some nice clips in here from Garrett....

http://www.ballislife.com/video/findlay-prep-beats-bishop

Nice clips of Amir. I really think if he were the go to guy on his team his numbers would be great but hes just one of a bunch of very good players who all share the ball and score. It hurts his rankings somewhat but it will help him a lot next year because hes going to be a 6th man type player and I think he can be awesome in that role. He does a little bit of everything and doesn't need to score 20 to be an impact player.

« Reply #201 on: February 13, 2011, 11:11:06 AM »
Findlay Prep's game versus Bishop Gorman on last weekend. Some nice clips in here from Garrett....

http://www.ballislife.com/video/findlay-prep-beats-bishop

Nice clips of Amir. I really think if he were the go to guy on his team his numbers would be great but hes just one of a bunch of very good players who all share the ball and score. It hurts his rankings somewhat but it will help him a lot next year because hes going to be a 6th man type player and I think he can be awesome in that role. He does a little bit of everything and doesn't need to score 20 to be an impact player.
Justin Anderson, who's also a freak athlete, flat out shut him down last night.
Unfortunately, he also got dunked on so badly last night by little Tyrone Johnson in the closing minutes of a blowout loss. Hoopmixtape caught it and maybe BallIsLife did too. It would've been the #1 play on SC.

« Reply #202 on: February 13, 2011, 04:56:21 PM »
Unfortunately, he also got dunked on so badly last night by little Tyrone Johnson in the closing minutes of a blowout loss. Hoopmixtape caught it and maybe BallIsLife did too. It would've been the #1 play on SC.

Johnson dropped a couple of F bombs along the way, as well.

Tyrone Johnson Dunks ALL OVER Amir Garrett! Crazy POSTER!

« Reply #203 on: February 13, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »
happens to everyone...Amir will have a chance for revenge on the next level.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Marillac

« Reply #204 on: February 13, 2011, 07:55:20 PM »
I heard Tyrone was jawing with Nick Johnson all game.  Can anyone comment on what went down between those two? 

I don't think this dunk is a big deal.  Garrett was too slow rotating, but that's the difference between west coast ball and the more physical east.  It won't take long before he knows how to prevent that from happening.

« Reply #205 on: February 14, 2011, 12:46:32 AM »
Against a significantly easier opponent (Newark Eastside..two MM kids--Tariq Carey and Chandler), he played much better.
15 points, 7 rebounds

This is the fourth game I've seen of his with Findlay this year.
He's still got a limited mid-range game, relying on put backs, dish-offs, fast break points, and wide open three-pointers (hit two today).

« Reply #206 on: February 14, 2011, 01:25:28 AM »
from what ive seen of him its his passng instincts that have stood out to me.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2011, 10:57:01 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/02/18/amir-garrett-hyped-to-play-for-johnnies/#more-47343

Even from as far away as Henderson, Nev., Amir Garrett has his eye on St. John’s.

Garrett watched the Johnnies blow out Duke at Madison Square Garden.

He saw them hammer UConn on national television.

And he’s kept up with their recent road wins over Cincinnati and Marquette.

“Oh yeah, I watched them, man. I was hyped,” the 6-foot-6, 200-pound Garrett said Sunday before scoring 15 points and grabbing 7 rebounds in Findlay Prep’s 76-50 victory over Newark East Side in the PrimeTime Shootout at Kean University.

kjd01067

« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2011, 08:26:06 AM »
I know this had been speculated by some when we were recruiting him....A left-handed pitcher who throws in the 90s, Garrett said he’s also considering playing baseball at St. John’s.

“Maybe, we’ll see,” he said. “Right now, I’m not really sure. I’m just weighing all my options, so it’s all right.”

« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2011, 06:37:41 PM »
Adding Garrett to the baseball team would be huge. I know for a fact he does not throw in the 90's but scouts are looking at him because of his size, arm, and athleticism.  With that being said, not to many guys can play basketball and baseball cause their seasons overlap.  There was a guy recently that was a big time player(brackman-NCSt-Yankees) but he is not on that level.  I think at this point, he is definitely just a basketball player, but if pro scouts get in his ear, he could want to do both.

« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2011, 08:13:21 PM »
It wouldn't hurt the baseball team having a lefty pitcher out of the bullpen that doesn't occupy a scholarship for them.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #212 on: March 31, 2011, 05:48:16 PM »
From what ive seen of amir I think hes more fit to play power forward than polee is now. Amir seems to be getting bigger as the year progresses with still more room to grow, much like polee

« Reply #213 on: March 31, 2011, 11:26:08 PM »
From what ive seen of amir I think hes more fit to play power forward than polee is now. Amir seems to be getting bigger as the year progresses with still more room to grow, much like polee
no cus he plays really good perimeter D and a big power forward would just destroy him

« Reply #214 on: April 01, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »
I dont think its his best posistion I just think he would fair better than polee at it.

Poison

« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2011, 12:20:52 AM »
Garrett is the size of Paris Horne. Asking him to play the 3 at the college level is ambitious enough.

kjd01067

« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2011, 07:20:43 AM »
Garrett is the size of Paris Horne. Asking him to play the 3 at the college level is ambitious enough.

Garrett is 6'6 and Paris is 6'3 there is a little difference there although I agree I don't see Garrett playing the 4

« Reply #217 on: April 02, 2011, 09:30:22 AM »
He reminds me of DJ Kennedy but I think Amir is more skilled.  DJ could not shoot when he came in as a freshman.  Amir's shot definitely looks better at the same point in their careers.

Moose

« Reply #218 on: April 02, 2011, 09:59:27 AM »

Garrett is 6'6 and Paris is 6'3 there is a little difference there although I agree I don't see Garrett playing the 4

?

Garrett is a 3/2 and he's bigger than Paris easily.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #219 on: April 02, 2011, 12:47:30 PM »
Hes much more comparable to dj and paris. Both in seize and overall game imo