Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies
Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #480 on: August 13, 2011, 03:57:40 PM »
Amir will not play down low. He'd play the 1 before he plays the 4. He'll be similar to DJ Kennedy.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

gman

« Reply #481 on: August 13, 2011, 04:25:24 PM »
Both Amir and jakarr were on loaded teams last year and didn't really get to show their full skill sets.  I can't wait to see them flourish at SJU.

crgreen

« Reply #482 on: August 13, 2011, 05:31:56 PM »
Amir will not play down low. He'd play the 1 before he plays the 4. He'll be similar to DJ Kennedy.

This is Steve Lavin we're talking about.  He'd easily run a lineup of Stith, Lindsey, Harrison, Pointer & Garrett (or substitute  Harkless or Sampson for any of those) out there if he thought matchups were in his favor....

I'd just remind you that 6'5 Toby Bailey started at PG, SG, SF and PF  for the Bruins during his time under Steve Lavin...and hey - 6'1 Earl Watson, 6'3 Baron Davis, 6'4 Kris Johnson, 6'5 Toby Bailey and 6'8 JR Henderson was a force to be reckoned with (and with Jelani McCoy on a suspension, the backups were 6'6 center Travis Reed, and 6'4 frosh wings Billy Knight & Rico Hines).  That squad knocked off the Tractor Traylor-led Wolverines in the dance, even with Baron tearing his ACL at the end of the 1st half.   WIth the flexibility of that lineup, Steve brought in 6'6 240 lb frosh center Travis Reed for Baron.  Reed went to center, Earl to PG, Toby to SG, and JR to PF (only Kris stayed at his position at SF) and while they'd used an advantage in athleticism to take the lead at halftime, with Baron gone, Reed was able to use his bulk to neutralize Traylor in the 2nd half and hold on for the win.   

In the category of more info than you want to know:  Travis Reed transfered out a year later after both Gadzuric and Moiso arrived at his position.    At Long Beach State, he was two times all-conference center averaging 15 pts and 8.5 rebs and shooting 57% those 2 seasons.  Too small for the NBA, he went on to a TERRIFIC Euro career - he put up 22pts 11 rebs on 65% shooting in the Baltic league last season - he's put up those kind of numbers for a decade now...He was MVP in the Dutch league twice and 5 times first team all-leauge, and MVP in the Baltic league in 2007.  He's made more money from hoops than some of his teammates who actually made the NBA.

I realize that has little to do with a St. Johns board, but I posted it thinking about our twin Justins, as they likely head overseas to begin their pro careers - there are opportunities and rewards out there......
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:35:38 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #483 on: August 13, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »

Who just so happened to play the 4 for us last year.  Amir played the four in highschool. Is he more suited to play on the wing yes, but we are thin up front and from what I saw from him he is tough and athletic kid. I guarantee that Amir gets time as our "4" this season.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #484 on: August 13, 2011, 09:09:49 PM »

Who just so happened to play the 4 for us last year.  Amir played the four in highschool. Is he more suited to play on the wing yes, but we are thin up front and from what I saw from him he is tough and athletic kid. I guarantee that Amir gets time as our "4" this season.

DJ played "4" because of who we had on the team.  We don't have the same personel.  I listed 4 guys I see as more likely to play 4.  Do you put Amir ahead of any of them?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #485 on: August 13, 2011, 09:15:32 PM »

DJ played "4" because of who we had on the team.  We don't have the same personel.  I listed 4 guys I see as more likely to play 4.  Do you put Amir ahead of any of them?

well the first three are obvious. Im not sure about harkless, it might be a toss up. Harkless is taller and longer but I think garrett is more built, stronger, and more athletic (no slight to Mo). To be honest I see Garrett, Mo, and Pointer all seeing some time at the 4

Moose

« Reply #486 on: August 13, 2011, 09:24:15 PM »

well the first three are obvious. Im not sure about harkless, it might be a toss up. Harkless is taller and longer but I think garrett is more built, stronger, and more athletic (no slight to Mo). To be honest I see Garrett, Mo, and Pointer all seeing some time at the 4

Funny you mention Pointer.  I was thinking of writing I'd more like to see him at the "4" over Amir.

And the reason I'm writing "4" is because I don't think a true PF really exists anymore.  Most of the these kids who are built like "4"'s see players hanging out on the wing as 3's.  I expect to always see Pelle or Gift on the floor.  At least one of them at all times.  If by chance they aren't and Jakarr is then yes Amir or Dom might be "4"'s but the offense isn't going to be built on them with post up plays.

MCNPA

« Reply #487 on: August 13, 2011, 09:39:50 PM »

Funny you mention Pointer.  I was thinking of writing I'd more like to see him at the "4" over Amir.

And the reason I'm writing "4" is because I don't think a true PF really exists anymore.  Most of the these kids who are built like "4"'s see players hanging out on the wing as 3's.  I expect to always see Pelle or Gift on the floor.  At least one of them at all times.  If by chance they aren't and Jakarr is then yes Amir or Dom might be "4"'s but the offense isn't going to be built on them with post up plays.

We don't run typical 2-big sets anyway.  We will run 3-4 wing types and an athletic C/PF type. 

crgreen

« Reply #488 on: August 13, 2011, 11:24:34 PM »

And the reason I'm writing "4" is because I don't think a true PF really exists anymore.  Most of the these kids who are built like "4"'s see players hanging out on the wing as 3's. 

Well, you'll definately see one when UCLA shows up this season - They're sporting 6'8 240 Reeves Nelson and Both  6'10 235 Wear Twins at the 4 this season.....As I said in my earlier post, Steve will go with the matchups - against that lineup (including 6'10 300 Josh Smith, 6'10 240 Anthony Stover, 6'10 235 Brendan Lane at the 5), I wouldn't be surprised to see Norvel and GG on the court together (but again, this is Lavin - he might go small and just try to run their bigs ragged!)....

MCNPA

« Reply #489 on: August 13, 2011, 11:51:52 PM »
Cr, we won't have UCLA's size, but God's gift and Norvel certainly more mobile.  Sampson is nelson's height but not the same girth, but I'll say that Jakarr is by far quicker.  SJU certainly could have trouble with Josh smith again.  The Wear twins haven't shown me that they're more than some Plumlees just yet.  They have talent though.  I doubt we'll go that small vs ucla though.  We certainly didn't tire smith out enough last year.

crgreen

« Reply #490 on: August 14, 2011, 05:09:12 AM »
Cr, we won't have UCLA's size, but God's gift and Norvel certainly more mobile.  Sampson is nelson's height but not the same girth, but I'll say that Jakarr is by far quicker.  SJU certainly could have trouble with Josh smith again.  The Wear twins haven't shown me that they're more than some Plumlees just yet.  They have talent though.  I doubt we'll go that small vs ucla though.  We certainly didn't tire smith out enough last year.

You do know that Mason Plumlee shot 59% from the field and pulled down 8.4 rebs per game as a soph last year, right?   I'd certainly take anything close to that from either of the Soph-to-be twins.....No one on St. Johns averaged more than 5.6 boards.   Looking at the archives on the "official page" - it appears there hasn't been anyone close to 8.4 in the last decade.   Only once has someone averaged 7 (7.1) in that period....

« Reply #491 on: August 14, 2011, 12:38:49 PM »

Well it looks like we are in complete agreement

« Reply #492 on: August 14, 2011, 01:08:41 PM »

Mo is stronger than Amir

« Reply #493 on: August 14, 2011, 03:20:31 PM »
This whole argument shows why Gathers was such a huge get for us.

« Reply #494 on: August 14, 2011, 04:15:53 PM »
I disagree dave

Moose

« Reply #495 on: August 14, 2011, 04:47:44 PM »
I disagree dave

Sorry man. Moe is jacked. I remember I saw him last summer than didn't see him till like February and he was significantly bigger. He really bulked up. There is one video on You Tube where you can see his post up moves and strength. I think it was from the Rumble in the Bronx.

« Reply #496 on: August 14, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
Mo definitely has gotten much bigger. As to has Garrett. It really is a question that could only be answered if we watched them in the weight room. But my opinion is that Garrett is stronger than Mo

MCNPA

« Reply #497 on: August 14, 2011, 06:20:08 PM »
Mo definitely has gotten much bigger. As to has Garrett. It really is a question that could only be answered if we watched them in the weight room. But my opinion is that Garrett is stronger than Mo

It's not really about opinion type of question.  Mo is a bit bigger and stronger player.  Has height and muscle on Amir at this point.  Mo has banged inside and can do so more than Garrett at this point.  Garrett is a SG/SF type. 

« Reply #498 on: August 14, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »

It's not really about opinion type of question.  Mo is a bit bigger and stronger player.  Has height and muscle on Amir at this point.  Mo has banged inside and can do so more than Garrett at this point.  Garrett is a SG/SF type. 

well just have to see

« Reply #499 on: August 14, 2011, 06:55:06 PM »
I disagree dave

It's really not an argument. Mo is a monster next to Amir. It's no slight to Amir but Mo is much bigger and stronger. You can disagree though.