Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies

Marillac

Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #500 on: August 14, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
I disagree dave

It's really not an argument. Mo is a monster next to Amir. It's no slight to Amir but Mo is much bigger and stronger. You can disagree though.

LOL come on!  Mo is a beanstalk...they both are!  You're talking about him like he's some diesel weightlifter like Gathers.  Whoever is stronger between the two doesn't really matter...they BOTH need to get a helluva'lot stronger over the next year. 

I'm not sure I buy the fact that Amir is 212.  DJ and JB2 were listed at just under 220.  In any event, I'd think Amir would be slightly stronger based on their most recent photos, but the difference is negligible whatever direction it runs. 

MCNPA

« Reply #501 on: August 14, 2011, 07:06:05 PM »
I disagree dave

It's really not an argument. Mo is a monster next to Amir. It's no slight to Amir but Mo is much bigger and stronger. You can disagree though.

I predict that soon Mase is going to tell us that Lavin isn't white.

Marillac

« Reply #502 on: August 14, 2011, 07:10:34 PM »
Let's also not forget that Garrett throws a 96 MPH fastball and has a freakish vertical.  The kid is clearly loaded with fast twitch fibers. 

« Reply #503 on: August 14, 2011, 07:15:59 PM »
I disagree dave

Alright MCN lets go over this. I posted two things. 1) Amir will play some minutes at the "4" for us. 2) Amir is stronger than moe.
Can you please tell me which one of these is so unfathomable?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #504 on: August 14, 2011, 07:17:07 PM »
I disagree dave

Alright MCN lets go over this. I posted two things. 1) Amir will play some minutes at the "4" for us. 2) Amir is stronger than moe.

I agree with both actually.

« Reply #505 on: August 14, 2011, 07:41:55 PM »
I disagree dave

LOL come on!  Mo is a beanstalk...they both are!  You're talking about him like he's some diesel weightlifter like Gathers.  Whoever is stronger between the two doesn't really matter...they BOTH need to get a helluva'lot stronger over the next year. 

I'm not sure I buy the fact that Amir is 212.  DJ and JB2 were listed at just under 220.  In any event, I'd think Amir would be slightly stronger based on their most recent photos, but the difference is negligible whatever direction it runs. 

He's no beanstalk
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #506 on: August 14, 2011, 07:43:23 PM »
I disagree dave

I'm going to e-mail Lavin and make sure that they arm wrestle to settle this!!!

MCNPA

« Reply #507 on: August 14, 2011, 07:51:17 PM »
I disagree that Amir is anything but a wing at the college level.  He is in no way a 4.  He's a thin 6'5" SG/SF.  Just like Cuse's Michael Carter Williams is not a PF, Amir is not either.   I don't disagree that he might be on the court with 2 other wings, but Amir won't be posting up in the paint.  He's simply not a PF.  He's a perimeter guy that certainly can crash the glass, but not a PF.  As far as strength, I can't compare and we'll never know.  Harkless is a lot bigger guy, and has put on significant muscle.  Harkless is a bigger kid who can bang in the post against bigger guys as well.  Just a bigger and stronger kid.  Neither is Gathers, but I don't think it's any question who is the stronger player at this point physically.

« Reply #508 on: August 14, 2011, 08:11:01 PM »
I disagree that Amir is anything but a wing at the college level.  He is in no way a 4.  He's a thin 6'5" SG/SF.  Just like Cuse's Michael Carter Williams is not a PF, Amir is not either.   I don't disagree that he might be on the court with 2 other wings, but Amir won't be posting up in the paint.  He's simply not a PF.  He's a perimeter guy that certainly can crash the glass, but not a PF.  As far as strength, I can't compare and we'll never know.  Harkless is a lot bigger guy, and has put on significant muscle.  Harkless is a bigger kid who can bang in the post against bigger guys as well.  Just a bigger and stronger kid.  Neither is Gathers, but I don't think it's any question who is the stronger player at this point physically.

+1
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #509 on: August 14, 2011, 09:55:06 PM »
Let's also not forget that Garrett throws a 96 MPH fastball and has a freakish vertical.  The kid is clearly loaded with fast twitch fibers. 

You should be banned for using 'fast twitch fibers' in a post :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #510 on: August 14, 2011, 11:26:33 PM »
There is a big difference between Amir playing the 4 in high school and playing the 4 in the BE.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:27:19 PM by Celtics11 »

crgreen

« Reply #511 on: August 14, 2011, 11:32:44 PM »
There is a big difference between Amir playing the 4 in high school and playing the 4 in the BE.

Uh, there's a big difference between ANY player playing ANY position in high school and playing it in the Big East.

This concept kind of mutated didn't it?   The original thought was  Amir could get minutes at the 4 - that's a lot different from someone saying Amir WILL BE a 4 in the Big East.   It's going to be all about the matchups.

« Reply #512 on: August 14, 2011, 11:37:13 PM »

Uh, there's a big difference between ANY player playing ANY position in high school and playing it in the Big East.

This concept kind of mutated didn't it?   The original thought was  Amir could get minutes at the 4 - that's a lot different from someone saying Amir WILL BE a 4 in the Big East.   It's going to be all about the matchups.
Reread my post=I did say PLAYING i did not say WILL BE.

crgreen

« Reply #513 on: August 15, 2011, 05:53:22 AM »

Celt - was commenting on the thread, not you in particular.   MCNPA had a statemeent "I disagree that Amir is anything but a wing at the college level.  He is in no way a 4. "   and there were a couple of others going back a page or two.   Just seemed we'd gone from speculating he might see minutes at the four to arguing if he WAS a four.   
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:54:11 AM by crgreen »

MCNPA

« Reply #514 on: August 15, 2011, 06:49:43 AM »

Celt - was commenting on the thread, not you in particular.   MCNPA had a statemeent "I disagree that Amir is anything but a wing at the college level.  He is in no way a 4. "   and there were a couple of others going back a page or two.   Just seemed we'd gone from speculating he might see minutes at the four to arguing if he WAS a four.   

This is semantics.  If people are talking about him getting minutes at the 4, it is assumed as a PF.  If somebody says to me that at Vllanova one of their guards might see minutes at the 3 in a 3-guard set, well they're not really getting minutes at the 3.  At that point they're playing a 3-guard set for matchup purposes.  For al intents and purposes, saying he will "see time at the 4" is really not accurate.  He might see time at the 3 in a 3-wing set.  He won't see time at the 4 in the role of a typical power forward nor is he a 4 so it answers the question both ways.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:50:18 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #515 on: August 15, 2011, 10:33:13 AM »
What about the comments that Amir is defensively oriented while Mo maybe not so much so?  Even if we're playing mostly zone the guys up front are going to need to play more physically putting a body on somebody especially when boxing out and going for the bound.

crgreen

« Reply #516 on: August 15, 2011, 11:53:24 AM »

This is semantics.  If people are talking about him getting minutes at the 4, it is assumed as a PF.  If somebody says to me that at Vllanova one of their guards might see minutes at the 3 in a 3-guard set, well they're not really getting minutes at the 3.  At that point they're playing a 3-guard set for matchup purposes.  For al intents and purposes, saying he will "see time at the 4" is really not accurate.  He might see time at the 3 in a 3-wing set.  He won't see time at the 4 in the role of a typical power forward nor is he a 4 so it answers the question both ways.

Sorry - happen to think semantics are important :)   But I disagree that's what's being discussed here.   I believe there are 5 positions on the court - some call it 1-5, others PG/SG/SF/PF/C.  Each of those 5 has set responsibilities on offense and defense when they're on the court.   Oh look, Steve Lavin has Baron Davis, and Earl Watson, and Moose Bailey on the Bench.   Ben Howland has Jordan Farmar and Darren Collison and Ced Bozeman on the bench.   Ones.  PGS.   every one of them.  You can certainly label them all as such in the team photo, or call them that during pre game introductions.  But, as often happened with each of those groups of 3, when all three were on the court TOGETHER, they were no longer all "ones" - they were ones and twos and threes - and in the case of the 6'5 205 lb Ced Bozeman - FOURs (when Howland went small with Farmar, Collison, Afflalo, Ced and Mbah a Moute).   What they are sitting on the bench is immaterial.  What they're playing during the game is a 1 or a 2 or a 3 or a 4 or a 5.   Whether you think a guy is a "traditional" fit for the position doesn't matter.  If he's playing the offensive or defensive responsibility for the 1 or the 2 or the 3 or the 4 or the 5 position, that's what he's playing.  It's not semantics.  It just what it IS.

I personally find Amir very similar physically to a former UCLA player named Dijon Thompson.  A 2 and a  3 in college and NBA.  Except of course that year he was the 1st team all Pac 10 Power Forward as a 6'7 195 lb senior.  And as he led UCLA back to the NCAA tourney after back to back 10 and 11 win seasons, he wasn't doing it semantically...

Gumby

« Reply #517 on: August 15, 2011, 12:08:37 PM »
The battle over semantics or no semantics.  That is the question!  Who would have thought we would be discussing the #4 spot and Amir?

After reading the last few posts I thought Redmen.com was back in business.  Sorry Dave!

I know two things about Amir, Mo and the rest of our recruits-  They will get bigger physically over the next few years and they will get better BB-wise during that same time frame.

Back to Amir!  Did he sign his baseball contract today or was it yesterday?  That to me is the key question regarding Amir, at least for today.

As an enlarged elk once said on this website- I can not wait for the season to start!

Now back to the battle of semantics!

NYCoffey

« Reply #518 on: August 15, 2011, 12:14:56 PM »
I looked at one of the reds signing threads and it doesn't seem like he has signed yet. They seem to think he is signed but his contract is over slot so it needs to be approved by MLB. The deadline is midnight tonight.

Poison

« Reply #519 on: August 15, 2011, 12:47:45 PM »
Garrett is a twig. I've seen him in person and stood right next to him. I'm 6'2, and maybe he was an inch taller than me. Unless I'm confused and im still growing, which would really be something else.