Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies
Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #600 on: August 18, 2011, 01:53:27 PM »
Our Cancun trip Labor Day weekend 3 years ago (Sept 2008) was cancelled

If I remember 10 practices with coaches were allowed- BUT FROSH were not allowed to practice till classes started.
One international trip every 4 years means they can go in 2012

So the Duke freshman can't play in China?

I could've sworn that Austin Rivers was playing today.

« Reply #601 on: August 18, 2011, 01:55:38 PM »
Like Duke has to follow the same rules as everybody else  ::)

LJSA

« Reply #602 on: August 18, 2011, 02:27:23 PM »
He never said they couldn't play, just that they couldn't practice. Rivers is good enough to just go out there and play without practice.

« Reply #603 on: August 18, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »
He never said they couldn't play, just that they couldn't practice. Rivers is good enough to just go out there and play without practice.

That seems pretty dumb, that you can't practice with the team but you can play an organized game with them, but I guess that's what you should expect from the idiots that run the NCAA.

« Reply #604 on: August 18, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »
1.  KofK, remember St Johns playing in Canada over labor day last year?  Same thing.  LIke someone said 1 international pre season trip every four years.

2.  Rule was changed this year with regard to incoming freshmen.  I believe if they are in summer school they are now allowed to practice play in these exercises before fall classes start.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:44:59 PM by yankcranker »

« Reply #605 on: August 18, 2011, 05:19:47 PM »
our freshmen did play in canada (omari and stith)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Logen

« Reply #606 on: August 19, 2011, 08:36:43 AM »
[tweet]http://twitter.com/diamond83/status/103915670651146240[/tweet]

Does that make any sense to anyone?    If his schooling is being paid for by the Reds, why in the world would he still count towards the 13 scholies?   Or does it mean the Reds are simply paying everything not covered by the scholie?  That hardly seems like its even writing into a contract with the supposed value of Amirs....

Actually, it makes perfect sense as it prevents schools / boosters from using not so organized pro teams (independent / semi-pro leagues) to circumvent the # of scholarship rules.

Independent and semi pro teams?  They can barely make their own payroll as is.

And no booster with dough could associate himself with such a team in order to stockpile talent at their chosen school? Far fetched to you maybe, but at one time so was giving mortgages to people who couldn't afford them. Or the creation of faux high schools for the purpose of creating powerhouse basketball teams. Anyway, as I understand it that is the reason for the rule, take it for what it's worth.

Moose

« Reply #607 on: August 19, 2011, 08:47:50 AM »
[tweet]http://twitter.com/diamond83/status/103915670651146240[/tweet]

Does that make any sense to anyone?    If his schooling is being paid for by the Reds, why in the world would he still count towards the 13 scholies?   Or does it mean the Reds are simply paying everything not covered by the scholie?  That hardly seems like its even writing into a contract with the supposed value of Amirs....

Actually, it makes perfect sense as it prevents schools / boosters from using not so organized pro teams (independent / semi-pro leagues) to circumvent the # of scholarship rules.

Independent and semi pro teams?  They can barely make their own payroll as is.

And no booster with dough could associate himself with such a team in order to stockpile talent at their chosen school? Far fetched to you maybe, but at one time so was giving mortgages to people who couldn't afford them. Or the creation of faux high schools for the purpose of creating powerhouse basketball teams. Anyway, as I understand it that is the reason for the rule, take it for what it's worth.

Do you know the exact reason for the rule?  I'm trying to find out but unsuccessful so far.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #608 on: August 19, 2011, 01:20:03 PM »
our freshmen did play in canada (omari and stith)

Yes they did but they missed the first 7 or so of the 10 practices waiting for classes to start.  Once classes started they got in a few practices and traveled with the team and played.  The new rule makes more sense.  The old rule made coaches wait and had players missing the first week of school due to the frosh rule.  Now they can get it all over and done with before classes start.

redslope

« Reply #609 on: August 19, 2011, 02:20:47 PM »
Moose--I believe the NCAA has a rule regarding "benefits" available to scholarship athletes.  I remember there was an article surrounding Phil Missere being given an athletic scholarship in senior year even though he was already on scholarship as his father was a professor.  The story said that as a walk on he was not entitled to certain benefits that were no available to all non athletic scholarship students.  it specifically mentioned he was not allowed a pre game meal for free with the team among other things as this meal is not available to all students.

Moose

« Reply #610 on: August 19, 2011, 02:41:14 PM »
Moose--I believe the NCAA has a rule regarding "benefits" available to scholarship athletes.  I remember there was an article surrounding Phil Missere being given an athletic scholarship in senior year even though he was already on scholarship as his father was a professor.  The story said that as a walk on he was not entitled to certain benefits that were no available to all non athletic scholarship students.  it specifically mentioned he was not allowed a pre game meal for free with the team among other things as this meal is not available to all students.

I remember that rule.  I would hope that wasn't the reason why.  Amir can afford a very nice pre game meal with 200k a year on top of a free education courtesy of the Reds.

« Reply #611 on: August 25, 2011, 09:54:11 AM »
The NCAA rule states that any recruited student athlete counts as being on scholarship for the 13 scholarship limit whether they receive a scholarship or not. Once the staff spends money to recruit a player to a school they're a scholarship player forever and for all time. That's technically how the rule is written.

Moose

« Reply #612 on: August 25, 2011, 10:21:45 AM »
The NCAA rule states that any recruited student athlete counts as being on scholarship for the 13 scholarship limit whether they receive a scholarship or not. Once the staff spends money to recruit a player to a school they're a scholarship player forever and for all time. That's technically how the rule is written.

How can that be proven.  If a coach flew to X city to see a player he could argue that he actually went to watch another player not the one who committed.

The only way I can see this rule stand up is to count anyone who ever visited officially.

« Reply #613 on: August 25, 2011, 10:25:55 AM »

I thought scholarships were actually year-to-year, and it was practically a cardinal rule for some coaches to honor it for four years.  Not mandatory.  Maybe, in this scenario since he was offered and signed a scholarship, then was drafted professionally, this particular rule applies.  Who knows!?! 

By the way, how come you didn't acknowledge Meyer's article and Zags' tweet, but posted Telep's arbitrary response (probably, was you who asked him the question), hoyahooligan?   ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:28:38 AM by mjdinkins »

MCNPA

« Reply #614 on: August 25, 2011, 10:30:16 AM »
How exactly is Rick Pitino getting guys like Kuric and others to "walk on" now?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #615 on: August 25, 2011, 12:33:30 PM »
How exactly is Rick Pitino getting guys like Kuric and others to "walk on" now?
Schollies are year-to-year, and those guys, I guess, can afford tuition. It is a state school; I know Elisha Justice is in state, Mark Jackson's son (!) is Mark Jackson's son so he can afford it, and Chris Smith is JR Smith's brother (or cousin? I forget), so that NBA money covers tuition.

I think it's a little sneaky, but hey. NCAA rules are made to be snuck around.

Marillac

« Reply #616 on: August 25, 2011, 12:47:49 PM »

I thought scholarships were actually year-to-year, and it was practically a cardinal rule for some coaches to honor it for four years.  Not mandatory.  Maybe, in this scenario since he was offered and signed a scholarship, then was drafted professionally, this particular rule applies.  Who knows!?! 

By the way, how come you didn't acknowledge Meyer's article and Zags' tweet, but posted Telep's arbitrary response (probably, was you who asked him the question), hoyahooligan?   ;)

Scholarhips are renewable on a year-to-year basis.  HoyaHooligan is correct, however, with his statement.  If a coach chooses to not keep a player on scholarship that he spent money recruiting, he can't just have that player "walk on."  That player would have to leave the team (but could remain at the school).  However, a coach can give a walk on that he didn't spend money recruiting a ride for a year and take it away without forcing the player to leave the team.

I have my doubts about Kuric, but Mark Jackson's son is clearly a walk on that comes from a loaded father.  There is no way Pitino spent a cent recruting him.   

« Reply #617 on: September 20, 2011, 10:28:17 PM »
St. John’s Sampson Decommits; Garrett to Bridgton

By Adam Zagoria on September 20, 2011, 10:09PM

There is a lot of movement with St. John’s once heralded recruiting class.

JaKarr Sampson, a 6-foot-8 forward, has decommitted and will re-open his recruitment.

“Yes,” said Brewster (N.H.) Academy coach Jason Smith.

Sampson was one of three St. John’s signees declared academically ineligible by the NCAA. He then opted to return to Brewster for a postgraduate year.

Meantime, Amir Garrett, another member of that trio, is now at Bridgton (Maine) Academy.

Garrett joins a team that features 2012 St. John’s commit Darrick Wood and former Hofstra commit Malik Nichols.

Bridgton coach Whit Lesure said the plan was to try to get Garrett eligible for the second semester in December.

“I would say that that’s the plan,” he told SNY.tv. ‘I know our college counselor was with him today and visited with me quickly.

“To be honest, that’s more St. John’s business than mine. That’s Amir’s business.”

Norvel Pelle, a 6-10 center, is the third member of the trio, and his status remains in limbo.

« Reply #618 on: September 20, 2011, 11:42:23 PM »
amir garrett
Don't listen to any rumors, I'm still strongly committed to St johns!!! And I still plan on going for second half of the season!!!

NYCoffey

« Reply #619 on: September 21, 2011, 09:34:07 AM »
Although it would be great for him to build some chemistry with Wood this year, I thought they couldn't play basketball  if they go back to prep school. Is this how it is or are they allowed to play while in prep school?