Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies

Moose

Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #280 on: May 19, 2011, 07:48:38 PM »
would it be possible to have amir get a scholie for baseball then "walk on" the basketball team? This could give us a little more flexibility if that is even possible

Not possible...the NCAA doesn't allow it.  He would automatically count as a basketball scholarship.  It prevents teams from stockpiling talent and giving them "bowling" scholarships or baseball scholarships in this case.  That's the rule for Basketball and Football scholarships.

Is that a fact?  Link? What if a player is legit and can play both sports?  There have been way too many who have double dipped.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #281 on: May 19, 2011, 08:13:31 PM »
would it be possible to have amir get a scholie for baseball then "walk on" the basketball team? This could give us a little more flexibility if that is even possible

Not possible...the NCAA doesn't allow it.  He would automatically count as a basketball scholarship.  It prevents teams from stockpiling talent and giving them "bowling" scholarships or baseball scholarships in this case.  That's the rule for Basketball and Football scholarships.

Is that a fact?  Link? What if a player is legit and can play both sports?  There have been way too many who have double dipped.

I don't have a link but that is my understanding.  I will do some research and try to find a link for you but I'm fairly confident that is the way it works. 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Gumby

« Reply #282 on: May 19, 2011, 10:14:28 PM »
I think we are getting a bit carried away with the baseball scholarship angle.

The dye has been cast and Amir has a basketball scholarship.

In addition, a pitcher with a 92 mile an hour fast ball is not really a big thing any more.  The minors and even college baseball are loaded with them.  It take a lot more than that to make the Big Leagues. 

Being drafted into baseball is not that attractive any more to many athletes.  As most of you have read, skilled high school athletes are focusing more on football and basketball.  Why spend three or four years in the minors when you may never make the bigs?

I can see Amir talking to our baseball coach in the near future, if he is interested in playing on the baseball team.  I can even see him playing both sports at St. John's.  He has time to sort out his future in sports.

Back to basketball, we may have hit the critical mass in terms of numbers and talent.  On paper, Coach Lavin is going to have his work cut out for him in time management for our Class of 2011, including JCs and perhaps Momo.

Moose

« Reply #283 on: May 19, 2011, 10:19:46 PM »

In addition, a pitcher with a 92 mile an hour fast ball is not really a big thing any more.  The minors and even college baseball are loaded with them.  It take a lot more than that to make the Big Leagues. 

Being drafted into baseball is not that attractive any more to many athletes.  As most of you have read, skilled high school athletes are focusing more on football and basketball.  Why spend three or four years in the minors when you may never make the bigs?

I can see Amir talking to our baseball coach in the near future, if he is interested in playing on the baseball team.  I can even see him playing both sports at St. John's.  He has time to sort out his future in sports.

Back to basketball, we may have hit the critical mass in terms of numbers and talent.  On paper, Coach Lavin is going to have his work cut out for him in time management for our Class of 2011, including JCs and perhaps Momo.

But the posts were about Amir and this thread is about Amir????

« Reply #284 on: May 19, 2011, 10:21:43 PM »

if your 6'5, left handed, throw 92-95 mph and you pitch in highschool. your guarenteed to get drafted
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #285 on: May 19, 2011, 10:39:49 PM »
What did Syracuse do with Donovan McNabb or FSU w Deion Sanders?

Gumby

« Reply #286 on: May 19, 2011, 11:08:18 PM »
Moose, I am not sure what you reply to me meant.  Of course talking about Amir on his thread is fine.

My point was switching him to a baseball scholarship is a stretch.

Getting drafted may be a 50-50 deal I think for Amir.  Signing is another issue.  By the way, being a 6'5" baseball player is no big thing today.  I was at the new Cactus League complex for the Rockies and DBacks earlier in the year and I could not believe the height of some of these kids.

If baseball is his top sport, and I am not sure it is, staying in college and playing baseball for a couple of years, along with basketball, may be preferable.  The long dual college seasons each year allow kids to play a good deal of baseball.  The only way I could see Amir signing, if he is drafted, is if he needs the cash.

Moose

« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2011, 11:17:23 PM »
Moose, I am not sure what you reply to me meant.  Of course talking about Amir on his thread is fine.

My point was switching him to a baseball scholarship is a stretch.

Getting drafted may be a 50-50 deal I think for Amir.  Signing is another issue.  By the way, being a 6'5" baseball player is no big thing today.  I was at the new Cactus League complex for the Rockies and DBacks earlier in the year and I could not believe the height of some of these kids.

If baseball is his top sport, and I am not sure it is, staying in college and playing baseball for a couple of years, along with basketball, may be preferable.  The long dual college seasons each year allow kids to play a good deal of baseball.  The only way I could see Amir signing, if he is drafted, is if he needs the cash.

I just think we are talking about Amir, so what if its baseball.  Its like talking about academics for another recruit.  Its relevant.

As for being drafted from what I've seen and read he has been working out for people lately.  He has a good fastball but no secondary pitches.  Being 6'5 can help but also him already being committed to STJ could just as much hurt his draft status.  It shouldn't matter if hes drafted, he can sign for 500k or whatever and still lace up his Nike's for us in October. 

« Reply #288 on: May 19, 2011, 11:17:28 PM »
What did Syracuse do with Donovan McNabb or FSU w Deion Sanders?

Football scholarships.   Football and basketball trump all since they are the revenue producing sports.  Football coaches occasionally prevent kids from playing other sports and they say they have a right to do so because they are using a football scholarship.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

NYCoffey

« Reply #290 on: May 29, 2011, 01:17:37 AM »
A 6'6" high school lefty throwing 96 according to Baseball America, somethings fishy.  Either exaggerated or he'll be a first round pick offered a few mill signing bonus.  I hope he comes to Queens, but if he throws that hard he shouldn't.

MCNPA

« Reply #291 on: May 29, 2011, 02:33:45 AM »
A 6'6" high school lefty throwing 96 according to Baseball America, somethings fishy.  Either exaggerated or he'll be a first round pick offered a few mill signing bonus.  I hope he comes to Queens, but if he throws that hard he shouldn't.

He pitched 40 pitches for 50+ scouts according to something I read.  Fastballs all between 92-95 mph, with 2 at 96.  Apparently though he's raw and doesn't have a ton else in his bag of pitches according to reports, as to why he's not higher ranked.  Qpologies, but i forgot where I read the report.

Moose

« Reply #292 on: May 29, 2011, 11:00:12 AM »

For the umpteenth time he can do both.

gman

« Reply #293 on: May 29, 2011, 11:52:35 AM »
I'm really excited to see how Rico develops Amir.  He was grossly under used by his hs coach (albeit a small sample).  He could be phenomenal when he gets some seasoning.

« Reply #294 on: May 29, 2011, 12:01:07 PM »
Amir is the best athlete coming into the program and he is underrated. He is going to surprise alot of people. He's the truth.

« Reply #295 on: May 30, 2011, 04:09:59 PM »
Garrett is a tremendous all around athlete.  His fastball usually sits in the 92-94 range but he can get it up to 96.  He's an extremely raw prospect, so he probably won't go before the 4th round in the draft.  Let's pray that the Dodgers don't end up drafting him because he may actually sign if he gets an opportunity to play for his hometown team.

MCNPA

« Reply #296 on: May 30, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »
Garrett is a tremendous all around athlete.  His fastball usually sits in the 92-94 range but he can get it up to 96.  He's an extremely raw prospect, so he probably won't go before the 4th round in the draft.  Let's pray that the Dodgers don't end up drafting him because he may actually sign if he gets an opportunity to play for his hometown team.

He's not from California.

Gumby

« Reply #297 on: May 30, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »
I thought his home is in CA and he is going to school in NV.

« Reply #298 on: May 30, 2011, 06:26:32 PM »

He's not from California.
And St. John's is in New Jersey.... :idiot2:

Garrett is from LA.  He went to Leuzinger (same HS as Russell Westbrook) before transferring to Findlay Prep in Vegas.  Where do you think the Lavin connection came from?

NYCoffey

« Reply #299 on: May 31, 2011, 11:41:38 AM »
from Amirs twitter

Amir_Garrett amir garrett
For all who doubt me watch what I do in college, yall gone see my real game mark my words #stjbb

Another recruit that is coming in with a chip on his shoulder.