Nurideen Lindsey - PG - Redlands CC - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 402 replies

pmg911

Re: Nurideen Lindsey - PG - Redlands CC - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #340 on: August 25, 2011, 03:44:03 PM »
I am incredibly impressed and I mean that very sincerely.

« Reply #341 on: August 25, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »
I saw him in one game and felt his form is okay, but he long range shooting isn't his forte'.  Maybe, to each his or her own, but I feel "disgusting" is an exaggeration.  Lindsey's defense in this particular game was average, as he did show some form of hustle on a couple of plays.  He showed some hustle by getting on the floor for a loose ball (he swiped the ball away and went after it before it went out of bounds).

He seems crafty around the rim and has good body control.  He was slicing and dicing through the lane and hitting his layups this particular day.  I'll agree with Marillac, in Lindsey has a good mid-range game.  He did miss about 5 freebies (he was like 7-12 from the line), but he has a good release.  I'm sure the staff will work with him there and inprove his numbers (I believe he was a 77% free throw shooter).

I'm not sure whether he'll be better than Hatten or Hardy, but to consider it "insulting" is a bit overboard.  The tools certainly seem to be there.  We'll get to see in due time.

Y'all haven't learned that Marillac is the Johnnies resident.....  LOL

Moose

« Reply #342 on: August 25, 2011, 04:47:02 PM »
I saw him in one game and felt his form is okay, but he long range shooting isn't his forte'.  Maybe, to each his or her own, but I feel "disgusting" is an exaggeration.  Lindsey's defense in this particular game was average, as he did show some form of hustle on a couple of plays.  He showed some hustle by getting on the floor for a loose ball (he swiped the ball away and went after it before it went out of bounds).

He seems crafty around the rim and has good body control.  He was slicing and dicing through the lane and hitting his layups this particular day.  I'll agree with Marillac, in Lindsey has a good mid-range game.  He did miss about 5 freebies (he was like 7-12 from the line), but he has a good release.  I'm sure the staff will work with him there and inprove his numbers (I believe he was a 77% free throw shooter).

I'm not sure whether he'll be better than Hatten or Hardy, but to consider it "insulting" is a bit overboard.  The tools certainly seem to be there.  We'll get to see in due time.

Hey wait. 

Thats a picture of a Moose
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #343 on: August 25, 2011, 05:04:52 PM »

Hey wait. 

Thats a picture of a Moose

Just act like Marillac and then this would be a good avatar for you.  LOL 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:06:14 PM by mjdinkins »

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Moose

« Reply #345 on: August 25, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »
For anyone interested....here are links to his games from the JC tourney

http://panhandle.ezstream.com/play/index.cfm?fuseaction=embstay&id=1E23D7A817

http://panhandle.ezstream.com/play/index.cfm?fuseaction=embstay&id=1E2449A7BC

Thanks!
Nice refresher.
On another note Marillac just broke his computer screen :)

NYCoffey

« Reply #346 on: August 25, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
I agree with Marillac. I am contacting all the NBA scouts I know to let them know that Lindsey is really not that good. They will be happy to know that they don't have to keep an eye on him anymore.  ;)

Poison

« Reply #347 on: August 25, 2011, 08:37:27 PM »
Yea, Hatten couldn't shoot. What kind of crazy talk is talk is that?
He had two of the best seasons this program has ever seen.

If Nuri is half as good as Hatten, he'll be one of the best players in the conference.

« Reply #348 on: August 26, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »
Wow, quite a thread.  The last couple days.

First I think Marillac was talking about Hardy and BOOTSY as the best shooters then went on to talk about Hatten. 

Pete, Hatten was a SG who could pass as well.  Unfortunately since his teams had no PG's he was forced into that role as well. 

Poison, there's a big difference between being a scorer and being a shooter.  Hatten was a scorer par excellence, a shooter not so much.  He shot under 30% from 3 in his SJU career,  only 40% overall.  Still wouldn't trade him for anyone. 

« Reply #349 on: September 02, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »
video of nuri talking about his history.  an inspirational story. 

Nurideen Lindsey "Inspiration" Speech

Moose

« Reply #350 on: September 02, 2011, 02:46:22 PM »

Thanks for finding that. Well spoken kid.

« Reply #351 on: September 02, 2011, 03:24:49 PM »

regardless of what happens on the court, i hope all the best for nuri.  i know stith is the upperclassman, but nuri appears to be wise beyond his years.  i can see him quickly turning into the spiritual, emotional leader on this team.

« Reply #352 on: September 02, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »

regardless of what happens on the court, i hope all the best for nuri.  i know stith is the upperclassman, but nuri appears to be wise beyond his years.  i can see him quickly turning into the spiritual, emotional leader on this team.
And a lot of times, that is not measured in rankings - I love the intangibles Nuri brings to the table.  I see Nuri, Dom, Moe and Gg having unique personal qualities to help gel the guys.  I'm not slighting the other players, just that they stand out more to me.

uwsfan

« Reply #353 on: September 03, 2011, 10:57:59 AM »
For anyone interested....here are links to his games from the JC tourney

http://panhandle.ezstream.com/play/index.cfm?fuseaction=embstay&id=1E23D7A817

http://panhandle.ezstream.com/play/index.cfm?fuseaction=embstay&id=1E2449A7BC

Seems he is really very quick and fast. Should have no problem penetrating on BE defenders. Also very athletic, second video showed him throw down an alley-oop dunk on a fast break. Also seems to be a good passer

« Reply #354 on: September 03, 2011, 10:51:40 PM »
The Lord is good and He shall be praised.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #355 on: September 06, 2011, 08:31:34 PM »
http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/blogs/article?offset=0&urn=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cyhoo%3A20050301%3Ancaab%2Carticle%2Cyhoo-ept_sports_ncaab_experts-wp4597%3A1&.ts=1315329893&.ysid=Yg6.41H83yAP7waabvObNg3D&.intl=US&.lang=en

St. John’s guard’s ‘Inspiration Speech’ is indeed inspirational
Jeff Eisenberg - September 6, 2011

As St. John's coach Steve Lavin ramped up his recruitment of Nurideen Lindsey last fall, the New York times published a poignant account of the Redlands Community College guard's trouble-filled path to major college basketball.

That story was well-reported and well-written, yet hearing Lindsey's tale in his own words may be even more powerful.

The above video is an "Inspiration Speech" that the Philadelphia native and St. John's signee apparently did for a speech class at Redlands in April. Lindsey describes why he was more committed to basketball than academics in high school, how the death of his best friend and younger brother caused him to drop out of school during his senior year and what eventually led him to rededicate himself in the classroom.

"I went from losing my little brother and best friend and feeling I would never play basketball again to being in the best position ever in my life from an athletic standpoint and academic standpoint," Lindsey said.

"I say all this to say that no matter what happens in life, no matter what people tell you you can't do, you can do it. If you have a dream, you have to protect it. A lot of times people who aren't doing anything themselves try to tell you you can't do it. As much as I went through, I realize where I am at this day is because I wanted this. If you want something, go get it."

Lindsey is one of nine newcomers on a St. John's team that returns only one scholarship player from last season and must replace 97.8 percent of its scoring. The 6-foot-3 guard who once threatened Wilt Chamberlain's scoring record at Overbrook High School will have three years of eligibility remaining and ample opportunity to play right away.

Considering all he's been through to get to St. John's, chances are it's an opportunity he'll cherish and won't let go to waste.

Moose

« Reply #356 on: October 03, 2011, 01:53:43 PM »
I think this is last interview of the newcomers.  Another great piece.

http://www.redstormsports.com/allaccess/?media=266442

crgreen

« Reply #358 on: October 04, 2011, 10:58:08 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/10/04/johnnies-need-big-year-from-lindsey/

Obvious error in the Zags story - Nuri didn't play his senior year of high school.  That 35.8 pt season was his Junior year, and the 23.5/5/5 JC season was after a two year layoff....

« Reply #359 on: October 04, 2011, 11:47:23 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/10/04/johnnies-need-big-year-from-lindsey/

Obvious error in the Zags story - Nuri didn't play his senior year of high school.  That 35.8 pt season was his Junior year, and the 23.5/5/5 JC season was after a two year layoff....

He said his three year career, never mentioned his senior year in hs.