Seniors to Put Hit Out on Big East [JohnnyJungle.com]

• 21 replies
Seniors to Put Hit Out on Big East [JohnnyJungle.com]
« on: September 28, 2010, 03:09:56 PM »
It’s time to finally tell the story of the Hitman.

And no, I’m not talking about WWE wrestler Bret Hart or #CoachDunlapsBat.  I’m talking about D.J. Kennedy, the swingman from Pittsburgh who has quietly turned himself into the marquee face of the St. John’s basketball program as he enters his senior year.

Two years ago, when St. John’s welcomed Howard into Carnesecca Arena, I had the pleasure of doing play-by-play on WSJU Radio as a then-sophomore Kennedy could not miss a 3-point shot in the game’s opening minutes.  After announcing the third  Kennedy 3-ball of the game, Keith Arias, who did color commentary with me that day, said of Kennedy: “You might as well call him ‘The Hitman!’ He’s a real sharpshooter out there!”

Needless to say, “The Hitman” moniker has  remained a fixture of every St. John’s men’s basketball broadcast on WSJU since.

Let’s talk current reality, and the reality is that “The Hitman” and his eight fellow senior classmates are the key to Steve Lavin’s maiden voyage at the helm of the Johnnies.  All nine of Lavin’s fourth-year players bring their own style to the court, and each will be an integral part of the team’s success in the 2010-11 campaign.  You’ll get to know each one more as we profile each senior in the latest edition of the “Daly Dribble”

Continue Reading...
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

Re: Seniors to Put Hit Out on Big East [JohnnyJungle.com]
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 04:15:17 PM »
Nice article but today is the first time I have ever heard anyone refer to DJ as The Hitman..

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 04:41:28 PM »
Nice article but today is the first time I have ever heard anyone refer to DJ as The Hitman..

Well there are certainly a lot of things you hear first when you visit JohnnyJungle.com

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 04:45:11 PM »

One of my pet peeves is when people rip off other people's nicknames. Show some originality! Bret Hart and Mike Easler already have that nickname and that is one too many. Why not JUST call him Magic or DR J? Besides isn't DJ a nickname already? If you insist on giving him a new nickname I think Carmine's Prez is the way to go.
BTW Ladainan Tomlinson's LT is the biggest nickname rip off ever and should not have been allowed and I'll be damned if I will go along with a guy from my favorite college team contributing to the sporting world's unimaginative ways!

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 04:49:11 PM »

One of my pet peeves is when people rip off other people's nicknames. Show some originality! Bret Hart and Mike Easler already have that nickname and that is one too many. Why not JUST call him Magic or DR J? Besides isn't DJ a nickname already? If you insist on giving him a new nickname I think Carmine's Prez is the way to go.
BTW Ladainan Tomlinson's LT is the biggest nickname rip off ever and should not have been allowed and I'll be damned if I will go along with a guy from my favorite college team contributing to the sporting world's unimaginative ways!

DJ "Big Play" Kennedy is the most commonly used nickname for him. I personally prefer "Big Play" as well.

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 04:53:36 PM »

+1

Poison

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 05:07:10 PM »
The Hitman is Don Mattingly.

kjd01067

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 06:16:41 PM »
Good article.  I'm excited to see how much the guys can improve under the new coaching staff.  The potential was always there with a lot of these guys is just a matter of putting them in the right situations and giving them the tools to produce.  I am personally most looking forward to see what the staff can do with JB.  He has so much talent and potential and has showed flashes of brilliance but for most of last season he looked lost on the court and other times was lost on the bench.  JB has shown he can step out and hit the mid range jumper and that he can beat his man off the dribble and dunk over anyone.  JB needs to be involved in the offense and get better at not only his post moves but passing the ball out of the post.  I'm hoping for a big season out of him.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 07:46:03 PM »

There are only so many nicknames in the world.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 09:17:46 PM »
The Hitman was a name given to DJ by WSJU St. John's radio over 3 years ago.

We talked to DJ he loves the nickname
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:18:17 PM by P1NSTR1PEZ »

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:38:14 AM »
The Hitman is Don Mattingly.

That never really stuck for him and "Donnie Baseball" is more than sufficient for a guy who only had 5 good years. Only Ali and Apollo Creed deserve more than one nickname.

BTW, forgot to mention Thomas Hearns for the "Hitman"

Tha Kid

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »

DJ "Big Play" Kennedy is the most commonly used nickname for him. I personally prefer "Big Play" as well.

Umm what?  Why does he deserve a nickname "Big Play"  --- what big plays has he made for a team that has made the NIT once in his 3 years??

It's like people calling James Shields "Big Game James" - what the hell has he ever done to do deserve that name?

"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 10:47:30 AM »
Also call me crazy, but I thought Paris Horne was from Delaware?  How long did he live in Philly after he was born?

That said - very interesting article and got me excited for the season --- its a pet peeve of mine when people are credited from places they didnt grow up bc the place they grew up isnt as "sexy"
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:51:29 AM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »
Umm what?  Why does he deserve a nickname "Big Play"  --- what big plays has he made for a team that has made the NIT once in his 3 years??

It's like people calling James Shields "Big Game James" - what the hell has he ever done to do deserve that name?
It's a nickname DJ has had.  From high school, I think.

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 01:59:27 PM »
I feel the nickname "Prez" is by far the best.

Moose

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 02:16:07 PM »
Mr. Kennedy?  :knuppel2:
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 02:56:55 PM »
I think we could all agree that "Big Play" is a pretty lame nickname. Hitman is already taken! So that brings us back to Prez. I feel that it would be an absolute shame to take away Carmines best(only) contribution to this board ;D

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 03:00:41 PM »
I like Big Play.

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 03:39:01 PM »
Here are the nicknames I would give:
Evans-"50/50"-as in every time he does something well, he will do something terrible moments later.
Burrell-"The human thread" -no one has ever been the topic of more threads
Kennedy-"Prez"
Hardy-"Poor man's Larry Wright"
Boothe-"Arnold Jackson"
Thomas-"Grandpa"
Q Roberts-"No relation"
Lavin-"The Anti Norm"

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 03:54:17 PM »
Here are the nicknames I would give:
Hardy-"Poor man's Larry Wright"

Ha I was waiting for a Larry Wright reference from you. So glad jersey shore is off air and you're posting again.