Moose

Re: Felipe Lopez at practice today
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 01:19:43 PM »
I think more interesting to note....

Team Red: Boothe, DJ, Horne, Evans, Coker

Team Black: Stith, Hardy, Brownlee, Burrell

We also have some decent sized walk ons

What about Quincy, Rob and Polee?

Any news on the walkons?  Any relevant HS experience?
Remember who broke the Slice news

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 01:48:18 PM »
Polee looks to be wearing red in that picture, so add him to red.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 02:05:48 PM »
I couldn't tell all of them looking at the pic on my mobile. I'll find out about walk ons at media day
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 02:18:59 PM »
I see Buckets is holding Coach Dunlaps Bat.  I am assuming this is some team building thing he has come up with, but i dont know the details on how it works.  IF someone knows and can fill me in that would be great.

Also, regarding Burrell growing, it must have been the angle of the other team photo.  He still looks to be 6'8, abt two inches shorter than Coker.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 02:21:48 PM by B-Squared »

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 03:05:20 PM »
I see Buckets is holding Coach Dunlaps Bat.  I am assuming this is some team building thing he has come up with, but i dont know the details on how it works.  IF someone knows and can fill me in that would be great.

Also, regarding Burrell growing, it must have been the angle of the other team photo.  He still looks to be 6'8, abt two inches shorter than Coker.

Someone has to hold the bat don't know much more than that.

Burrell does look shorter here

Tha Kid

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 04:05:22 PM »
I think more interesting to note....

Team Red: Boothe, DJ, Horne, Evans, Coker

Team Black: Stith, Hardy, Brownlee, Burrell

We also have some decent sized walk ons

The question is --- which group is the starters, if they even split it like that?  I like group 2...
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 04:07:26 PM »
Dunlap's Bat, from the St. John;'s Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/STJ_Basketball/status/25128602195
"The bat is a little exercise in teamwork, responsibility, accountability, commitment. Don't lose it! #coachdunlapsbat #stjbb"

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 08:29:02 PM »
Nice to see Felipe on campus. Welcome back Perro Grande!

Would Felipe stop by during the Norm years, or is this his first visit in a long time?

boo3

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 08:32:40 PM »
 Felipe has always been one of my favorites.  He was a great representative of St. john's.  Never complained, just played his ass off.  Wasn't his fault he was ridiculously over-hyped. 

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 08:33:37 PM »
I like bringing back Alumni. I think its really important to the school and program to establish that. I'd like to see more of it with the big names and even the smaller ones.

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 08:42:20 PM »
Nice to see Felipe on campus. Welcome back Perro Grande!

Would Felipe stop by during the Norm years, or is this his first visit in a long time?
Yes he came back during the Norm years. I saw him scrimmage with some of the other team Alum's and some of Norm's guys a couple of years ago

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 03:46:15 PM »
Felipe Lopez is the main reason i started liking st.john's.  ive always wore number 13 my whole life in basketball. nice to see him there.

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 04:12:55 PM »
Felipe Lopez is the main reason i started liking st.john's.  ive always wore number 13 my whole life in basketball. nice to see him there.

Felipe Lopez is also the reason I am a St. Johns fan.  I was around 10 yrs old, loved all the big NY sports teams but didnt have a college team.  Then the Sports Illustrated cover came out, i had a NY college team to root for and the rest has been mostly dissappointment and aggravation over the last 15 years.

The 97-98 team that made a brief tourney appearence followed by the two great years when we were a 3 and 2 seed respectively is what really sustained my interest.  I've held on these last 10 b/c of those two years and how much fun it was to be good.  Looks like were on the right track to getting back there.   
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 04:15:19 PM by B-Squared »

Poison

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 06:22:01 PM »
Felipe was the reason you became a St.John's fan? Why? What did he do that made you love St.John's?

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 06:29:27 PM »
I guess what he did was be hyped enough to be on the SI cover.  As a 10 year old looking for a team to root for, I was influenced fairly easily. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:33:46 PM by B-Squared »

Poison

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 06:37:56 PM »
I think everyone bought into Felipe mania. It's too bad that he didn't come close to living up to the hype.

The target on his back from being so over hyped gave everyone a reason to be on their a game when facing us.

Ray Allen and Kerry Kittles were the class the league at that time. Lopez couldn't hold their jock.

Still I give him credit for not running away
from the failure. A lot of kids would have handled it like a woman. But he stayed, and eventually, became a good player.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 10:23:43 PM by Poison »

boo3

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 07:37:57 PM »
  Iverson came into the BE the same year as well.   Felipe and AI had an incredible duel at the Garden one year though.  Felipe played great, 25 and 10 or something. AI poured in 40.  St. John's won though.   Felipe's best game might have been freshman year at the Dome when he scored 35.