Lavin: Coast to Coast

• 8 replies
Lavin: Coast to Coast
« on: October 05, 2010, 08:58:22 PM »
Per Zagsblog.... 

St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin is about to embark on a coast-to-coast recruiting hunt that could impact the future of the program for years to come.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/10/05/st-johns-lavin-heading-coast-to-coast-hopkins-to-georgetown-davis-reclassifies-to-2012/#more-40486

Re: Lavin: Coast to Coast
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 10:29:05 AM »
Per Zags post

"Tuesday marked the end of the NCAA contact period, but coaches can still evaluate prospects."

What is the diff ?
I thought the "evaluation Period" (started yesterday) was when they CAN NOT
visit @ home or one on one - only "watch" them in a Gym,practice or game ?

per a link through redmen.com
http://niagararapids.org/ncca%20def.htm

Evaluation period - permissible for authorized athletics department staff to be involved in off-campus activities to assess academic qualifications and playing abililties. No in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts with a prospect are permitted.

Molloy '71

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 10:37:44 AM »
Per Zags post

"Tuesday marked the end of the NCAA contact period, but coaches can still evaluate prospects."

What is the diff ?
I thought the "evaluation Period" (started yesterday) was when they CAN NOT
visit @ home or one on one - only "watch" them in a Gym,practice or game ?

per a link through redmen.com
http://niagararapids.org/ncca%20def.htm

Evaluation period - permissible for authorized athletics department staff to be involved in off-campus activities to assess academic qualifications and playing abililties. No in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts with a prospect are permitted.

I guess he's just going to watch those kids workout (ie, practice).

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:54:23 AM »
Each of these kids have already been offered (I think)
Going to watch in a gym or game is to see kids you're "evaluating" for a scholly ?

If I'm reading rule right, wouldn't he have been much, much better visiting the
 last 2 weeks,  when in home, one on one was allowable, in addition to @ gym ?
Molloy '71

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 11:29:15 AM »
It seems that the staff has been out to see some of these kids - today's Zags article says Lavin and Chiles have both been to see God's Gift, for example.  We don't know where the assistants have been; they may have been out talking to those players.  And I would think he would want to see the players at practice.  And then get them to come for an official.

I don't know. But the staff is working it, I won't start to doubt them until they bring in dunk contest winners from Kentucky who don't have any high-major interest to be the backup point guard.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 11:39:31 AM »
Going to watch in a gym or game is to see kids you're "evaluating" for a scholly ?

The kids we're currently targeting have either been to the campus (officially or unofficially) and/or had in-home visits with Lavin.  Obviously, Lavin is just doing his due diligence.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 12:38:18 PM »

The kids we're currently targeting have either been to the campus (officially or unofficially) and/or had in-home visits with Lavin.  Obviously, Lavin is just doing his due diligence.
I thought they all had - but then I remembered Nurideen hasn't been to campus yet, right?  Did Dom Pointer make his?  With all the schedule changes, I forget.

One thing that's interesting - we hear when Lavin is going out on trips, but I assume the other assistants aren't just sitting on their thumbs.  Wonder who they have been out seeing...?! 

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 02:15:10 PM »
I thought they all had - but then I remembered Nurideen hasn't been to campus yet, right?  Did Dom Pointer make his?  With all the schedule changes, I forget.

One thing that's interesting - we hear when Lavin is going out on trips, but I assume the other assistants aren't just sitting on their thumbs.  Wonder who they have been out seeing...?!

Lindsey has yet to be on campus.  He's supposedly gonna be on campus for "Midnight Madness."  Pointer was on an official visit back in mid-September.

Chiles has also been out (I believe he's the one instrumental with Lindsey being interested).  I'm not sure about Rico and Dunlap.  Although, Dunlap played quite a role in the garnering of Harkless.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 04:58:01 PM »

Lindsey has yet to be on campus.  He's supposedly gonna be on campus for "Midnight Madness."  Pointer was on an official visit back in mid-September.

Chiles has also been out (I believe he's the one instrumental with Lindsey being interested).  I'm not sure about Rico and Dunlap.  Although, Dunlap played quite a role in the garnering of Harkless.

Lindsey was on campus.  For the skills camp but he didn't participate he said.  He was there to support friends of his.
Remember who broke the Slice news