New York Teams Improvement [NY Times]

• 75 replies
Re: New York Teams Improvement [NY Times]
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 11:17:52 PM »
If the Gaels are so good why didn't they dance? You want us to play ny cupcakes, we did. We beat Siena and Hofstra.

Do you really want to brag about beating Providence? Providence beat us because we had an inept coach. Why isn't this completely obvious to you?

Gaels were young last year and put 21 wins on the board. Everyone is back, and they added top talent. 1 of those guys would be starting at St Johns right now. Also, I'll take the Gaels PG over Boothe.

But I guess we'll never find out, because the Johnnies are too busy scheduling LIU and Westmont. I guess NJIT wasnt available this year?

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 11:21:49 PM »
So Baldi, you think that St.John's team had a lot of talent, and Elijah Ingram is your example of that talent?

At that time, SJU was willing to play Manhattan. They were by far and away the MAAC's best team that season. They are also a local. You're losing this argument.

Ingram was a Mcdonalds All American no? Hatten wasnt good either? I guess you bet the JAspers that night?

Im wondering how come St Johns hasnt scheduled either of these teams

Poison

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 11:36:58 PM »
Baldi we just beat the crap out of Manhattan. I assumed you knew that. Maybe the reason we didn't schedule Manhattan was to spare their feelings.

Our 2nd string tore them a new one.

And yes, Elijah Ingram was terrible. Other than Hatten, who was exceptional, that team had MAAC talent.

Even this year, there is very little upside to SJU playing Iona. I don't know why you keep bringing up NJIT, and Liu. You can thank your boy Norm for that.

Jarvis played almost every local at least once. Why you've forgotten that i don't know.

As far as Iona's current team, I'm not saying they don't have NCAA talent, or even that they won't dance. Just that beating them unless they do dance is worthless.

We play St.Mary's, UCLA, Davidson, Northwestern and Duke. Not to mention, several mid majors in Alaska, and a possible match up with the PAC 10 champ. That's a tough schedule. There might be a few patsies along the way, but there simply isn't room for every patsy.

And speaking of LIU, they're on your schedule, not ours. So is Bryant btw. Another Norm Roberts special.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:39:08 PM by Poison »

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 11:43:16 PM »
Baldi we just beat the crap out of Manhattan. I assumed you knew that. Maybe the reason we didn't schedule Manhattan was to spare their feelings.

Our 2nd string tore them a new one.

And yes, Elijah Ingram was terrible. Other than Hatten, who was exceptional, that team had MAAC talent.

Even this year, there is very little upside to SJU playing Iona. I don't know why you keep bringing up NJIT, and Liu. You can thank your boy Norm for that.

Jarvis played almost every local at least once. Why you've forgotten that i don't know.

As far as Iona's current team, I'm not saying they don't have Abu talent, or even that they won't dance. Just that beating them unless they do dance is worthless.

We play St.Mary's, UCLA, Davidson, Northwestern and Duke. Not to mention, several mid majors in Alaska, and a possible match up with the PAC 10 champ. That's a tough schedule. There might be a few patsies along the way, but there simply isn't room for every patsy.

And speaking of LIU, they're on your schedule, not ours. So is Bryant btw. Another Norm Roberts special.

Iona has to win the MAAC tourny to get to the NCAA, No doubt about that, especially with this years schedule. But I think I remember Iona lumping up the Red Storm in a scrimmage 2 or 3 years ago.

Maybe St Johns will give Iona and its coach who played a year at St Johns a shot soon.

Everyone will find out shortly that Iona is no patsie.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 11:49:39 PM »
I'm sure wins over Kent State and Bryant will quickly put them back on the national stage. :)

I'm rooting for Iona because they're a local. I just don't believe it's such a good idea for us to adopt a philosophy that says playing locals is good for us.

It's good for them. Not us.

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 11:53:56 PM »
I'm sure wins over Kent State and Bryant will quickly put them back on the national stage. :)

I'm rooting for Iona because they're a local. I just don't believe it's such a good idea for us to adopt a philosophy that says playing locals is good for us.

It's good for them. Not us.

Good points.

Do you think St Johns makes the NCAA's this year? WHat about next year with all the freshmen?

Poison

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 12:02:35 AM »
Do I think STJ makes the dance this year?
I don't know. I'd say we are a bubble team. I think it will be close. Our SOS should be great.

Will we make it next year? No. Not with 10 freshman. That's too much to ask of any class.

I'm going to agree with what Steve Lavin told me. 12-13 we will break out on the national stage.

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 12:05:02 AM »
Do I think STJ makes the dance this year?
I don't know. I'd say we are a bubble team. I think it will be close. Our SOS should be great.

Will we make it next year? No. Not with 10 freshman. That's too much to ask of any class.

I'm going to agree with what Steve Lavin told me. 12-13 we will break out on the national stage.

This is exactly why I said Cluess gets to the dance first. In no way am I saying hes a better coach, but I think the Gaels are on the verge of owning the MAAC and I think Mike Glover is going to destroy that league.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2010, 12:34:51 AM »
But Baldi, don't you think if Glover were really that good, he'd have been recruited by more schools?

Are you saying that he's better than Anthony Glover? I really liked Glove, but even older brother, top 50 recruit had plenty of trouble with mid majors.

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2010, 10:04:49 AM »
Nrb, I would be okay with a few local cup cakes, but they do not deserve the same respect that a Duke gets.

There is no home and away with Iona. Not now, and probably not ever. They had a chance to be an appetizer 17-18 years ago, and wanted a fair match up.

That, makes them delusional.
I'll bet Lavin books several locals next year. At the reception he made a point of saying that he doesn't want the incoming freshman in 2011 going through the type of schedule we have this year.

He's mentioned the toughness of the schedule on several occasions and may be hedging his bets in regard to how we perform this year.

Poison

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 10:21:52 AM »
qc, that's right. He did say that.

I don't have a problem with playing teams like Iona, Manhattan, Fordham and Hofstra, but I just feel it's in our best interest to play them annually.

Of these 4 teams, much like us, they've had good seasons, and bad ones, but until  they perform with consistency like the big 5, i see no value in treating them like they matter on any stage.

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 11:10:56 AM »

I don't have a problem with playing teams like Iona, Manhattan, Fordham and Hofstra, but I just feel it's [not?]in our best interest to play them annually.

You intended to say this, correct?

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 11:12:38 AM »

I don't have a problem with playing teams like Iona, Manhattan, Fordham and Hofstra, but I just feel it's in our best interest to play them annually.

Of these 4 teams, much like us, they've had good seasons, and bad ones, but until  they perform with consistency like the big 5, i see no value in treating them like they matter on any stage.

Youre talking about St Johns like they are an elite team.  This isnt the 1980's, and St Johns hasnt fielded a bigtime competitive team in probably  close to 10 years, maybe longer.(since you think that Hatten team wasnt any good)

Poison

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2010, 11:23:42 AM »

I don't have a problem with playing teams like Iona, Manhattan, Fordham and Hofstra, but I just feel it's [not?]in our best interest to play them annually.

You intended to say this, correct?

yes, sorry

Poison

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2010, 11:26:19 AM »

Youre talking about St Johns like they are an elite team.  This isnt the 1980's, and St Johns hasnt fielded a bigtime competitive team in probably  close to 10 years, maybe longer.(since you think that Hatten team wasnt any good)

Baldi have you been in a coma since April? :)
We have ESPN's 5th ranked class.

If all of the best players want to play for you, you're an elite program.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you are who your coach is.

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 11:37:26 AM »

...If all of the best players want to play for you, you're an elite program.

Couldn't agree more.

By the way not a word on your namesake. Do you think he'll see the light of day this year?

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 11:39:14 AM »

Baldi have you been in a coma since April? :)
We have ESPN's 5th ranked class.

If all of the best players want to play for you, you're an elite program.

Just as you say, make the tourny and some Sweet 16's than your close to elite. Did Lavin not say 2012/13 would be the year SJU made it on the national scene? I thought you agreed with that statement?

Poison

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2010, 11:47:42 AM »
I honestly think Lavin is trying to down play expectations.

Norm fed us that learning experience bs like it was job to lie. I don't believe for a second that next year's team isn't going to contend.

However, like I've said before, we've all learned not to put unreasonable expectations on freshman. So I'd be happy with the NIT.

In regards to Iona, the only way they dance is if they can take out Siena and Fairfield in the MAAC tourney. And if that is your toughest comp, we don't need you on our schedule. Go play Hofstra.

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2010, 11:55:47 AM »
I honestly think Lavin is trying to down play expectations.

Norm fed us that learning experience bs like it was job to lie. I don't believe for a second that next year's team isn't going to contend.

However, like I've said before, we've all learned not to put unreasonable expectations on freshman. So I'd be happy with the NIT.

In regards to Iona, the only way they dance is if they can take out Siena and Fairfield in the MAAC tourney. And if that is your toughest comp, we don't need you on our schedule. Go play Hofstra.

So you'd be happy with that "elite" team going to the NIT?

I said before, the only MAAC team going to the dance is the tourny winner. The tournament has moved this year from Siena's homecourt(they lose that advantage). As for Hofstra, IONA went to their house and beat them too.

Poison

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2010, 12:01:25 PM »
That is exactly what I'm saying Baldi. That a team of elite freshman could go to the NIT, and I'd be content.

Do I think they'll do better than that? Perhaps I do, but to expect any group of freshman to dance is straight up nuts.

It hasn't happened since the Fab Fab.