Best recruit?

• 31 replies
Best recruit?
« on: November 11, 2010, 02:06:56 PM »
I have seen Sampson and Harkless ranked as our best recruit. If you go by the rankings it would seem Sampson is the more highly rated, but I have seen Harkless mentioned as the best recruit in the class in different articles. No that it really matters but just out of curiosity which one is considered the better recruit?

Re: Best recruit?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 02:32:13 PM »
Based on the rankings you would have to say Sampson but interesting quote from Lavin in the NY Post.

"Lavin said Harkless was, at this stage in his career, the most complete player he ever has recruited."

Based on what I've seen Harkless appears more polished offensively but based on the rankings Sampson may have a higher ceiling.  I also don't see much of a drop off if any between those 2 and guys like Harrison and Pointer.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:34:04 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 02:39:17 PM »
Unlike in past seasons going to be interesting how Lavin distributes minutes and at what positions. Asked this question on other site: If no Pelle, could you start a frontline of Harkless, Polee and Sampson?

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 02:49:02 PM »
Lindsey

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 02:52:41 PM »
Lindsey

Should be a real nice three guard rotation in 2012-2013 with Lindsey, Harrison and Thomas.

Wods317

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 03:24:10 PM »
I think it might end up being Harrison. Harrison is a guard while all our other freshman so far are wing players. Harrison has ability to play both guard positions and can extend the defense with his long range shooting. He might end up being the best and most valuable recruit in this class.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 03:41:52 PM »
 :2funny:sir lindsey who plays again tonight.  over/under 35 points? 

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 04:01:24 PM »
harlkless looks extremely polished and with a year at south kent to get bigger and stronger my early prediction is he gets next years bigeast rookie of the year
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 04:18:57 PM »
I'm most excited to see Harrison play.  When all is said and done...I think Harrison will be our best player out of this class.  Haven't seen any of them play....so I'm going off of what I've read and some highlights I've seen.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »
I think this might be one of the best debates we've ever had on here. Out of 4/5 star recruits who is our best guy...what a great problem to have.

Harkless is quickly becoming better and better. I was at the Hoop Group last night and everyone I talked to couldn't stop raving about Harkless. The general opinion of having Lindsey and Harrison then Thomas the following year was like whoa St. John's is going to be a serious problem for people. Score, score, score, and score some more.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 04:28:25 PM »
Funny but if you go by the rankings Sampson would be the top guy, but people are picking everyone but him. lol
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:30:06 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 04:30:40 PM »
Funny but if you go by the rankings Sampson would be out top guy, but people are picking everyone but him. lol

Its really weird but he gets no hype via youtube, writers, etc. JaKarr Sampson...Lebron's highschool. Thats all you ever hear. I'm going to try and see him play a game at Brewster before the season is over.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

boo3

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 04:40:52 PM »
 Hearing great things about Lindsey.   Howe does he compare to Hatten as a scorer?  Is this a good comparision?  Or not even close.   Pointer may end up being the best when all said in done.  I can't believe we've come so far, so fast.  What happened to the "St. John's isn't a big time school anymore" chatter?  NCAA hoops=  all about the coach.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 04:41:01 PM »
Funny but if you go by the rankings Sampson would be out top guy, but people are picking everyone but him. lol

Its really weird but he gets no hype via youtube, writers, etc. JaKarr Sampson...Lebron's highschool. Thats all you ever hear. I'm going to try and see him play a game at Brewster before the season is over.

ESPN compared him to Scottie Pippen

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 04:42:13 PM »
Hearing great things about Lindsey.   Howe does he compare to Hatten as a scorer?  Is this a good comparision?  Or not even close.   Pointer may end up being the best when all said in done.  I can't believe we've come so far, so fast.  What happened to the "St. John's isn't a big time school anymore" chatter?  NCAA hoops=  all about the coach.

Good I was starting to feel bad nobody picked Pointer.
I will go with Sampson just to be different.

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 05:39:58 PM »
Unlike in past seasons going to be interesting how Lavin distributes minutes and at what positions. Asked this question on other site: If no Pelle, could you start a frontline of Harkless, Polee and Sampson?

Moot point.

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »
This is actually a tough one.
I'd say Pelle has enormous upside (due to his mix of freak athleticism and size), but Harkless, Sampson, and perhaps Harrison (biggest gunner of this group other than, perhaps, Lindsey) will be more ready to contribute off the bat offensively. I don't think any one of them could've individually been as successful bearing the offensive burden that'll come next year, but collectively it'll be an interesting group to watch. Pointer should be able to contribute as well, but there are only so many shots to put up. The last time I saw Lindsey was nearly two years ago, but the others I can vouch for.

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 06:26:24 PM »
Hello all
I've finally made it back to the boards after a 2 year hiatus due to computer issues and forgetting my password.
Congrats to dave on the new website and all of your recent accomplishments.  The page looks fantastic.
This truly is a fantastic time to be a johnny.
As far as best recruit goes I can't even begin to imagine who'll end up being the best player.  Most recruiting analyst seem to mention Sampson as our top recruit at the moment. Harkless is constantly raved about for how "polished" of a player he is.  I'm super excited to watch Deangelo play and see how defenses will have to deal with his "unlimited range."  I love hearing of Sir'Dominic's devotion to defense, Dave Telep's compared him to Andre Iguodala on ESPN U's recruiting show today.  Can't wait to see Pelle put on some weight and dominate the other big east bigmen (loved hearing Telep call Pelle a "gym rat").  Nuri sounds like he will be an excellent scorer and have heard some state that he's Lav's best get.
It really is an awesome problem to have trying to figure out who's our best recruit haha Did we really think we'd be here a year ago?
I'm happy to be back on the jungle and look forward to talking about our exciting program with you all.
-Cole
IN LAV WE TRUST!

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 06:31:53 PM »
isn't it funny, we haven't been able to have this kind of a discussion in god knows how many years...

aint it nice!!

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 06:50:36 PM »
manbearpig for biggest recruit. for basketball only i think im gonna have to go with pointer