Alaska Shootout Champs!

• 69 replies
Alaska Shootout Champs!
« on: November 28, 2010, 02:07:31 AM »
Great Comeback!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Alaska Shootout Champs!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 02:19:25 AM »
What a great game to watch. The team just fed off each other so well. There is still a lot of work that needs to be done but I'm liking the direction.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 02:21:03 AM »
We made those two deadly runs that carried us and before and between those runs we looked dreadful.  Exciting game but we have lots of work to go if we want to be a tourney team.  Excellent victory and championship and let's bury Wagner Wednesday.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 02:23:50 AM »
outstanding game. great adjustments at halftime

TONYD3

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 02:26:28 AM »
Just the start boy's! Enjoy the ride!!!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 02:37:41 AM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 02:27:01 AM »
Might be the best 6 minute stretch the guys have had ever with this group at the end of the 2nd half.

The tenacity on defense, the boxing out and the steals, so clutch.

I'm convinced Brownlee will be the star of this team all year, he just flat out gets it done.

The 2 things St. John's needs to work on based on this tournament,

1. Free Throws
2. Faster rotation when playing zone.

Aside from that, very happy with the way the guys fought back against Ball State, and tonight.

*plays Queen - We Are The Champions*

gonzalo

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 02:28:28 AM »
Congratulations.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 02:33:47 AM »
I thought the team was dead once they tied it up then went down 5 then 7. Then OUT OF NO WHERE the game was tied. That was one of the best stretches I've ever seen this team have.

Big Kudos for Lavin making big time adjustments at halftime and midway through the 2nd half.

Started Boothe, Hardy, Polee, Brownlee, Burrell in the 2nd half which worked really well. Burrell and Brownlee gave ASU fits inside.

Then he filtered in Horne which at the time was a great sub to give more defense and fresh legs to the lineup. He slowly mixed in Stith, DJ, etc. Once that lineup got cold...

Boothe, Stith, Hardy, Horne, Brownlee. Holy moly donuts! That lineup just killed it in the full court press. I was skeptical at first seeing that defense in a half court except they never even let ASU set up in a half court because of all the pressure. Awesome!

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 02:36:23 AM »
AP...

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=303312599

Justin Brownlee scored 20 points Saturday night and St. John's defeated Arizona State 67-58 to win the Carrs-Safeway Great Alaska Shootout.

The Red Storm (4-1) shot just 26 percent from the field in the first half. Ty Abbott's third and fourth 3-pointers gave the Sun Devils a 23-11 lead with 4:44 remaining. It was 30-20 at the half.

St. John's turned up the defensive pressure and stormed back in the second half.

With Arizona State (3-2) clinging to a four-point lead with 6 minutes left, Paris Horne tipped in a missed free throw. Malik Stith stole the inbounds pass and scored, then stole another one at the other end and drove the length of the floor for a layup, making it 53-51 St. John's.

Dwight Hardy scored 14 points and Paris Horne had 11 for St. John's.

Abbott led Arizona State with 22 and Trent Lockett had 10.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 02:55:56 AM »
Few Thoughts...

Great effort from the team in the second half.  Brownlee is a bigtime mismatch against bigger guys b/c he is so quick.  He along with Stith are the most improved players so far. 

Speaking of Stith, initially i wasnt a fan of having both him and Boothe on the floor at the same time, but it looks like it works.  It's better for the press and it's good to have two ballhandlers to help penetrate (both are improved shooters as well).

Great adjustment by Lavin to go to the small lineup, it def worked.  ASU was playing it's third straight game and i think that was a factor in the second half.  Plus they arent as deep.

Two trends i like this year, we are playing faster with alot more possessions per game but are turning it over less.  Also, free throw shooting is not very good but we are much more aggressive this year and are getting to the line at a much higher rate than our opponents. 

Horne has played solid and unselfish all year long, he deserves the minutes he is getting.  DJ is lost in this offense b/c he doesnt have the ball in his hands and that's not an indictment or anything, jsut an observation.  I think Lavin made the correct choice with giving him less mins. 

Defensive pressure to TO's is def our best offense right now.     

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 02:56:36 AM »

Poison

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 07:40:32 AM »
Justin Brownlee over Lance Stephenson.
What a difference a year makes.

This is a win that will really help the staff to gain everyone's trust. Down 30-20 at the half, and we come back to force a 19 point swing. Well done.

Feels great not to be complaining.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:10:56 AM by Poison »

boo3

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 08:04:31 AM »
 Halftime adjustments?  What are these things of which you speak?  Its been so long i think i forgot.

Congrats to the team.  Great way for them to start the season. 

boo3

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 08:26:45 AM »
"Feels great not to be complaining. '

^^  Amen

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 10:30:39 AM »
Kennedy 1-3 with 2 points? Burrell 1-1 with 3 points?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:31:43 AM by Marco Baldi »

Poison

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 10:33:35 AM »
Baldi, those numbers for Kennedy and Burrell aren't so upsetting imop.

It's nice to see guys like Brownlee and Stith step up. They had almost no impact last year.

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 10:34:47 AM »
Baldi, those numbers for Kennedy and Burrell aren't so upsetting imop.

It's nice to see guys like Brownlee and Stith step up. They had almost no impact last year.

Oh I agree, but whats Kennedy's deal? I didnt see last nights game, but the from what Ive seen so far, looks like a different player from years past

boo3

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 10:36:25 AM »

Every team has the same scouting report on St. john's this early in the season.  Stop DJ Kennedy!  That's what happens.  Burrell is just being Burrell.   They are buying into the team concept.

Stith has been great.

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 10:44:29 AM »
A lot of great things to take away from last night.  Even though we aren't quite there with the defense--damn, we play a complex D!--the guys mad ASU looked silly at times.  Still too many easy baskets for now but we've got a month to work on that over some patsies and practice.

Brownlee looks unstoppable at times, but he can force the issue instead of letting the game come to him.  He is one of the better players on the baseline that I've see at the college level. Wow, can he be good. 

We are going to need to establish the post more.  There was a stretch where JB1 looked like he could't be guarded...Brownlee as well in the post, but we stopped going back to them.  We got away with that last night, but probably not all season. 

We passed the ball very well and it led to a bunch of wide open looks where our guys shot-faked and drove the ball to the basket.   EVERYONE was doing that and it was very encouraging for a team that settled for long jumpers with a hand in the face the last six years.  As a result, we had them in the bonus early both halves.

The staff seems to understand the strengths of the players they have.  We don't have the most complete players, but we do have guys that do some things very, very well.  The staff has done a good job getting the most of this with the combinations on the floor.

I'd like to see DJ get more iso's on the right side, where he is so deadly as a lefty.  For some reason he can't be stopped going baseline to his right, but turns it over routinely on the left side.  I've noticed that the staff has mostly had him straigt up or to the left thus far. 

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 10:47:27 AM »

Every team has the same scouting report on St. john's this early in the season.  Stop DJ Kennedy!  That's what happens.  Burrell is just being Burrell.   They are buying into the team concept.

Stith has been great.

Burrell has really bought into the system.  He looks good out there.  I expect to see his minutes go up.  It's just such a different looking roster when we sub him in for Polee--not that either is better, just soooo different.  I think that is a great thing for us.