Double Trouble

• 13 replies
Double Trouble
« on: January 06, 2011, 02:13:47 AM »
How does the league determine which schools you play twice?

It seems like we drew the short stick with Georgetown, Notre Dame and Cincy.  I would have liked 2 against Depaul, S. Florida and the Hall.

Re: Double Trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 02:20:03 AM »
I like the way we drew.  We have ample chances to make some splashes like Monday.  We got teams that we can beat but also will immensely help our strength of schedule and are fun matchups for us.  Also, I think Cincy will eventually seep to the lower end of the conference eventually, they really aren't that good at all.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:09:38 AM »
I like the way we drew.  We have ample chances to make some splashes like Monday.  We got teams that we can beat but also will immensely help our strength of schedule and are fun matchups for us.  Also, I think Cincy will eventually seep to the lower end of the conference eventually, they really aren't that good at all.

I agree, they actually havent beaten anyone. I think we can take them twice for sure.

Wods317

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:38:11 AM »

Very good point. I originally also was upset with having to play G'Town, ND, and Cincy twice because there is no easy win in any three of those games but the way we are playing now it doesn't matter. G'Town is solid but as we have seen they are beatable, Cincy is highly overrated but is still not an easy team to beat and Notre Dame will be a challenge but hopefully we can keep things rolling with a victory on Saturday. All we can ask is to go 4-2 in these games and we will be in a very good position.

TONYD3

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 01:05:36 PM »
It is all based on preseason seeding. Forgot the whole process but we were seeded 6 preseason. Pitino picked us 1st which gave us more preseason points and also gave us a harder schedule. That is why we are playing 2 good (ND G-town) and one decent (Cinn.) team twice. I have't checked but I am sure Depaul's and Rutger's schedule is easier. 

Moose

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 01:11:47 PM »
It is all based on preseason seeding. Forgot the whole process but we were seeded 6 preseason. Pitino picked us 1st which gave us more preseason points and also gave us a harder schedule. That is why we are playing 2 good (ND G-town) and one decent (Cinn.) team twice. I have't checked but I am sure Depaul's and Rutger's schedule is easier. 

His rationale in doing that was to keep Cincy and his fmr asst Cronin out of the top tier so he spared Cronin and our expense.  There was an article where he explicitly said that back in May/June when it was first announced.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 03:16:52 PM »

Are you telling me that preseason voting from rival coaches determines the stregnth of schedule for their competitiors?

That makes no sense whatsoever.  Seems open for manipulation.

Moose

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 03:27:42 PM »

Are you telling me that preseason voting from rival coaches determines the stregnth of schedule for their competitiors?

It determines the tiers of predicted finish and then the teams you play twice.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/pitino_pick_st_john_to_win_big_east_xNlhx6w8rSXjBRkBK8agEK

Teams are divided into tiers based on the voting, and teams in similar tiers are the ones who play each other twice. Coaches can not vote for their own team.

Based on that system, St. John's, in tier 3, will play home-and-home against Cincinnati, Georgetown and Notre Dame.

Coaches vote again for the media prior to the season.

Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 03:57:17 PM »

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/pitino_pick_st_john_to_win_big_east_xNlhx6w8rSXjBRkBK8agEK

Teams are divided into tiers based on the voting, and teams in similar tiers are the ones who play each other twice. Coaches can not vote for their own team.

Based on that system, St. John's, in tier 3, will play home-and-home against Cincinnati, Georgetown and Notre Dame.

Thanks Moose.  I thought preseason voting was just for show.  We're probably one of the few conferences where it actually means something. You learn something new everyday.  Pitino speaks to the type of manipulation I'm speaking of right in the article.

I'd rather be in a lower tier to potentially bump up the win total.  SOS is nice but in the end we're going to need a win tally.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 03:59:08 PM »
This is the season to have this schedule. We have guys that have been here forever.

It's their turn.

Tha Kid

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 06:34:53 PM »

Don't we always get georgetown twice as natural rival?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 01:05:43 AM »

I fell for this tier nonsense back in January but I've since discovered that Pittsburgh is playing South Florida twice and there is no way in hell these two were predicted in the same tier in the preseason poll.

So I pose the question again.  Does anybody know how it's determined which teams you play twice?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:14:31 AM by carmineabbatiello »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 10:26:49 AM »

I fell for this tier nonsense back in January but I've since discovered that Pittsburgh is playing South Florida twice and there is no way in hell these two were predicted in the same tier in the preseason poll.

So I pose the question again.  Does anybody know how it's determined which teams you play twice?
Carmine, that's how it's done. The top tier teams get 1 bottom tier repeat.  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/5496976/big-east-announces-repeat-opponents

Poison

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 11:59:19 AM »
If we played USF or RU twice there's a good chance knowing us we'd lose one of the games.
Splitting with ND and GT looks great. It looks like we're just as good as them.

Be thankful we get another crack at Cinci. We owe those punks.