UCLA Post game

• 31 replies
UCLA Post game
« on: February 05, 2011, 03:16:41 PM »
How the hell were there 3 seconds left on the shot clock?

Re: UCLA Post game
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 03:22:57 PM »
Terrible call, but no excuse.

Kids did not play well enough to win today.

While  Hardy had an AMAZING game, he played ball hog on a few key plays that really hurt us. Brownlee looked like he was playing with a broken thumb, and we had no answer for the fattie down low.

In the end, it's not such a terrible loss. Lost on the West Coast to a team that is probably our equal. Need to close out conference play as strong as we can and hope that our statement wins speak for themselves.

Going to need some luck but the heart is there now. That's all I can ask for.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:26:22 PM »
No one other than Dwight showed up on offense, DJ, Paris, and JB2 could not buy a layup today. What happen to DJ game this year?

Wods317

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 03:28:09 PM »
How the hell were there 3 seconds left on the shot clock?

Ya there should have been 1. I think if he misses that shot we win because we were on a roll. Booth ran the point very well in the last few minutes and I think we could have taken it but they got lucky. Why was Evans in so for so long? Polee played very well and then jus didnt come back in. Evans was probably into to play Smith but he didn't do a good job with that. We should have went up front with Burrell and Polee in the final minutes. Hardy showed up on the offensive end and Kennedy and Horne showed up on defense, otherwise a poor game from most of the players. Although Boothe played solid in his short time. We fouled way too much and made it too easy for them to score down the stretch and also Nelson killed us on the boards.

boo3

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 03:32:57 PM »
  he gets the shot off with one second anyway.  The free throw disparity is quite alarming, but not why we lost the game.  We missed at least 5 bunnies, didn't box out at all on those free throw misses, and too many crucial turnovers.

Hardy showed up to play.  Brownlee was invisible. DJ stunk.  Evans and Burrell can't get a board to save their lives when it mattered. Pitiful display.

This is what this team does.  Plays great one week, awful the next.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 03:40:25 PM »
Shot clock play didn't matter he got the shot off within 1 second anyways.

-Missed layups

-poor interior defense

-bad clock management

-bad shot selection

These are all recipes for losing. There were some positives from today too. The zone press looked amazing, our inbounds plays were new and effective, and our guards effort defensively was great. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 03:43:40 PM »
DJ has stunk offensively. His ability to read the defense is poor. He doesn't know when to pull up or when to drive. He needs to watch some film of Hardy because Hardy knows how to read the defense.

However DJ played exceptionally well defensively today. He held Honeycutt to 1 basket and he jumped passing lanes really well.

Brownlee got completely owned by Nelson. I was impressed with Nelson

boo3

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
  DJ , at least twice, let his guy get a rebound on a missed free throw.  Those were killers. 

Explain how the clock management was poor?  Nothing jumped out to me, besides the normal, wait till 4 seconds to run your offense.

Our bigs,  Evans, Burrell, Brownlee and even DJ should be embarrassed about how they played today.  Out worked and out hustled.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »
Burrell and Brownlee were too soft inside, and Polee doesn't have the strength to bang.  They killed us down low.  We should have run more in  order to keep the fat kid from settng up on defense.  He would have also been more worn down on offense and on the boards.  UCLA was not that impressive but they were better than us today.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 03:53:18 PM »
Well there was about 3-4 possessions in a row in the first half St. John's let the clock run past 10 seconds then had to force up a shot under 5 seconds. UCLA knew St. John's had to shoot.

The rebounds off of the missed FT were killer. That might have been the difference in the final 2 min of the game.

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 03:55:24 PM »
How about the fact that they scored 20 points in the 2nd half from the foul line? We put them in the bonus early and continued to commit a foul every trip. It seemed like everytime they broke our press and got the ball over half court, we just fouled them. What ever happened to just playing defense and getting a stop?? they are not a great shooting team and even though they missed a lot of free throws down the stretch, it was their free throw attempts that made the difference. I don't understand what we were doing out there sometimes. WE ARE A BIG EAST TEAM, PLAY SOME STRAIGHT UP MAN TO MAN D AND MAKE SOME STOPS. NONE OF THIS RUNNING AROUND IN THE HALF COURT AND CHASING/FOULING.

boo3

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 03:58:52 PM »
  We outscored them by 16 points from the field.

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 04:03:29 PM »
  We outscored them by 16 points from the field.

yea well they didn't even get up shots from the field because we didn't give them a chance by just fouling. how about forcing a team that is not exactly deadly from the outside to make jumpers??

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »
UCLA's offensive rebs is the killer

Poison

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 04:25:10 PM »
Ugly game. The Darryl Hill game. One guy can't do it all. Kennedy, Horne, Brownlee and Burrell all shat the bed. Hardy can hang his head high. He was a little out of control at the end of the game, but I don't blame him because it was obvious he was the only one with his head in the game.

Evans is going to have recognize when it's his turn to put it up. He's become so tentative on offense, that's it's a 4-5 on game with him out there. He's in there for rebounding, but I didn't him or anyone else get a body on that fat dude. Terrible d in the pain today.

There were a lot of bs calls. I think the play where Horne races down the court and committed what was called a flagrant foul was a great play. That's how you foul. Hard. These ticky tack and ones killed us today.

If you're gonna foul make them feel it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 05:08:53 PM by Poison »

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 04:30:37 PM »
Don't have words for how disappointed I am after this loss.  Would've been great on the resume and could've helped Lav exercise some old demons.  Nonetheless, we didn't deserve that win.  I liked the teams fight until the end, but they killed us inside.  Obviously the free throw ratio wasn't in our favor either.  A lot of people tweeting about biased refs, but that's just basketball.  Don't think we lost because of the refs.  Hopefully we show up for UConn. 

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 05:29:13 PM »
Although we got it to 3 before that heave by Nelson, I thought a big turning point in the second half was when we were down 8, hit a shot and DJ got the steal on the inbounds. He misses the layup and UCLA comes down and hits a Jumper.  A four point swing, which instead of down 4 we are back down 8 and had to fight even harder to get back into the game. 

I have watched this team for 4 years, and it just bothers me so much that aside from a couple these guys, wont take a 10 foot jumper when the defender is backed off of them.  I saw Brownlie today, have smith a foot or two away from him knowing he cant play up on him near the foul line try to drive to the basket allowing the paint to collapse and his shot contested.  The same can be said for Kennedy.  A lot of defenders know that SJU is to quick for them and will give them some space to allow themselves room so they dont get beat off the dribble.  Shoot the ball and make them come out and guard you.

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »
This game reminds me of the fable of Jack and Jill. Every time St. John's got to the top of the hill they fell back down.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 05:57:13 PM »
Agree w Baldi. They'd miss two free throws, and it was like we didn't know it was a live ball.

TONYD3

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »
We didnt play well and still almost stole one. Thought we should have come out of the zone when the fat boy was in and atleast try and put a body on him. Boothe has been play well (getting just enough minutes). Ref's cost us a few points. We lost becase we mised way to many easy shots. lets kill uconn!