No:
@Marguette
Pittsburgh
@Villanova

Maybe?:
Ucan't
@Cincinnati
@Seton Hall

We need two out of three maybe's and we dance.  Otherwise we'll need a Deep BE tourney run.  We have to have it on Thursday. 
Let's go St. Johns!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:16:44 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Re: Yes; No; Maybe?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »
The one thing I disagree with is the Marquette game being a definite "No."  I think they are close in talent to UCLA who we hung with on the road and I really think we can pull that game out.  We may need to pull that one out for our sake.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 03:18:55 PM »
The one thing I disagree with is the Marquette game being a definite "No."  I think they are close in talent to UCLA who we hung with on the road and I really think we can pull that game out.

No Chance!

We're going to get blown out by 20+ in that one.  It's going to be our largest losing margin in the remaining 8.  Marquette is downright nasty at home.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:19:24 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 03:22:58 PM »
This team can control its own destiny from here on in.  We hear over and over again how the players are hungry for the tournament, well this is by far the best shot they have had since they put a SJU jersey on 4 years ago. The writing is on the wall.  Get to 18 wins and finish 500 in conference and they are in. 

Home Games:
UCONN W
Pitt   L
SFLA W
Depaul W

Away Games:
Nova L
Cincy W
SH W
Marq L

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
This team can control its own destiny from here on in.  We hear over and over again how the players are hungry for the tournament, well this is by far the best shot they have had since they put a SJU jersey on 4 years ago. The writing is on the wall.  Get to 18 wins and finish 500 in conference and they are in. 

Home Games:
UCONN W
Pitt   L
SFLA W
Depaul W

Away Games:
Nova L
Cincy W
SH W
Marq L

That Seton Hall game really scares me.  They are much better than their record indicates and they have played us well the last few years.  They always seem to get up for that game and I hope our players don't take that one for granted.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 05:11:01 PM »
We must win against Cincy, SHU, Depaul, and USF. Then take one of the remaining 4.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 05:19:49 PM »
I want to believe in the worst way that this team can go 5-3 the rest of the way with that schedule.  However, the road games no matter who we are playing scare the hell out of me.  The team seems to lose toughness on the road and guys disappear.  Maybe 4-0 is more realistic than 2-2 on the road.  It is just so hard to predict anymore with these guys.  If any time we needed a back to back road performance like we did against WVU and Prov, now is the time to do it.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 05:35:07 PM »
We almost beat Marquette twice last year.
We can almost beat them again.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 06:56:20 PM »
That Seton Hall game really scares me.  I hope our players don't take that one for granted.

Anybody can see that it's going to be a war and a darn tough game to win in New Jersey.  I'm confident that we won't take it for granted.  I'm not so confident that we'll have enough horse to pull it off.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 06:57:23 PM »

3's will be raining down on us from all angles.  It's going to get ugly.

Blowout city!

Wods317

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »
We need to beat USF, DePaul, and Seton Hall. Then we need to go 2-2 in the other four, we can do it. We can beat UConn and Cincy but we have to go out and get it done.

boo3

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »
 this team needs to worry about beating Uconn on thursday, and nothing else.  As fans, we love to speculate, but all it does is drive me nuts.  So much is going to happen/change in the next few weeks.  One game at a time.

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 10:49:09 PM »
I can not wait for tomorrow.  We need to come out and play as physical as possible and try to run uconn out of the gym.  I dont want to see Walker have a chance to beat us at the end of the game.  As if the game wasnt big enough with the place packed, the university is having a ceremony for Elenor Taft as well.  We are 5-1 at the Garden this year and I expect nothing less than a victory.  We are on National TV again and these last 8 games, starting tomorrow, the committee is going to be looking at us under a microscope.  My prediction,

NY Daily News: 75
Hartford Courant: 68

Poison

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 10:56:04 PM »
The only way Walker won't have a chance to beat us at the end of the game is if he's not physically able to play at the end of the game. And that's where Dele Coker comes in.

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 10:51:05 AM »

Marquette owns us. Plain and simple. These are the most recent results of our games with them...

Cubillan 3 in BET.
Jimmy Butler at the buzzer in CA.
30 point beatdown in BET.
14 point loss in Wisconsin.
9 point loss in NY.
9 point loss in BET.
20 point loss in Wisconsin.

We have not beat Marquette since they joined the BE, don't expect that to change. The games we need to get are tonight and Sunday in Cincy

Poison

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 01:21:58 PM »
We'd have a better chance against Marquette if we actually guarded the 3.
We've won some games because the other team was cold. Not because we actually defended the 3.

Both Malik's can't even defend the 3 if they tried. They're just too tiny.

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 03:12:33 PM »
I think more than just being cold, we did a good job defending the 3 against Duke.  We reacted well to the passes and closed quickly on the shooters and made them rush their shots.  Quickness worked in our favor against Duke.  I don't think that we will "out quick" Marquette.  Hopefully, we can catch them on a cold shooting night.

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Yes:
Depaul
South Florida

No:
@Marguette
Pittsburgh
@Villanova

Maybe?:
Ucan't
@Cincinnati
@Seton Hall

We need two out of three maybe's and we dance.  Otherwise we'll need a Deep BE tourney run.  We have to have it on Thursday. 
Let's go St. Johns!

Great job fellas winning two of the first three "maybe's"?  Win the two "yes's" and we're in.  Win any of the "no's" that begin tonight and it's seeding gravy.  And the way you're playing at the garden has me about ready to move Pittsburgh to a "maybe".