Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

pmg911

Nothing to be worried about . I just heard he hasn't decided yet.  The fact that Dave and others are saying we are back in it and possible leaders is a miracle considering how much of a cincy lean he was. .. Just hate seeing people go crazy when it's not a done deal.

Heard the same thing this morning and also heard JUCO is looking like a real option for him at this point. Given his lack of annoucement it does make sense a little.

As Dave said, not too long ago this kid was a Cincy LOCK.

desco80

Nothing to be worried about . I just heard he hasn't decided yet.  The fact that Dave and others are saying we are back in it and possible leaders is a miracle considering how much of a cincy lean he was. .. Just hate seeing people go crazy when it's not a done deal.

Heard the same thing this morning and also heard JUCO is looking like a real option for him at this point. Given his lack of annoucement it does make sense a little.

As Dave said, not too long ago this kid was a Cincy LOCK.

What are the elidgibility concerns that are making him consider JUCO ?

derk

Jeez, am I the only one who is still saying, wake me up when he signs ? Are we really giving this "information" legs with a kid who seems to change his mind more often then his socks ?

Dave, don't mean to cast aspersions on you, but wake me up when he signs.

Jeez, am I the only one who is still saying, wake me up when he signs ? Are we really giving this "information" legs with a kid who seems to change his mind more often then his socks ?

Derk- this is a blog/fan site. 
 If you want to read just when he signs- read the newspaper, & check in here every other week.

I for one am happy to read about the twists & turns in recruiting & thats why I read every day.

In strong support of Chris- he hasnt changed his mind & given verbals to 2-3 schools like other recruits.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:14:22 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

desco80

So, who is NYC Baller over on the Cinci boards ? 

http://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=4491&page=83

Can't stand how prostate her fan base starts pointing fingers at us every time we sign (or are rumored to get) a recruit.    Sour grapes have never been more prevalent. 

derk

Derk- this is a blog/fan site. 
 If you want to read just when he signs- read the newspaper, & check in here every other week.

I for one am happy to read about the twists & turns in recruiting & thats why I read every day.

In strong support of Chris- he hasnt changed his mind & given verbals to 2-3 schools like other recruits.

"Happy to read about the twists and turns" of a confused kid ? If you want to be continually jerked around by 18 - 20 year old kids, good luck to you. So now we're a "strong lean". Love the terminology. And apparently the kid has changed his mind otherwise how do go from out of the picture to strong lean. And why? I would think everyone's cards are on the table with the possible exception of Oregon. But if he's still waiting for an Oregon trip then what do you make of the strong lean flip flop. Ridiculous.

All of this BTW has nothing to do with liking him or not. If he signs tomorrow I'd be very happy. Just stop the meaningless back and forth.

Where is IS8 Saturday ?

do we know times our recruits are playing ?
Molloy '71

Happy

Where is IS8 Saturday ?

do we know times our recruits are playing ?

2:45 on Saturday at Is8 school in Jamaica.

All this conjecture on the boards is mostly posters like us. I've never read where Chris came out
himself and said St Johns leads, then Cinn leads then back to St Johns.

We dont know the story at all.

Maybe its grades & he's not announcing till he qualifies.
Maybe he got a real late start in the process & hasnt yet visited all schools he's considering (Oregon?)
Maybe the kid loves basketball so much, that playing AAU now with his friends is huge & college choice can wait till June

We obviously are not privy to Chris's conversations with Lavin,
but I dont get the impression we're being jerked around.
Molloy '71

Moose

All this conjecture on the boards is mostly posters like us. I've never read where Chris came out
himself and said St Johns leads, then Cinn leads then back to St Johns.

We dont know the story at all.

Maybe its grades & he's not announcing till he qualifies.
Maybe he got a real late start in the process & hasnt yet visited all schools he's considering (Oregon?)
Maybe the kid loves basketball so much, that playing AAU now with his friends is huge & college choice can wait till June

We obviously are not privy to Chris's conversations with Lavin,
but I dont get the impression we're being jerked around.

Your right we never heard it from his mouth.
We don't know his grades either but were talking about a kid relatively new to the country so it wouldn't be a shock.
He didn't have a late process, he just has a lot of people pulling him different ways.

Playing AAU is great.  Personally I wouldnt want to play that much as its an injury risk.  Wouldnt want to miss important freshman year practices because I twisted a knee in a rinky dink is8 game.

We were in out, out of it, now back in it.  Call it jerking around or whatever its been a topsy turvy recruitment no matter how you slice it.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

“@TheoRabinowitz: Also #stjbb, Felix Balamou & Chris Obekpa will both be playing at the iS8 semifinals tomorrow in Queens at 2:30 and might play again at 5:00”

paultzman

Shot blocking is obvious, but runs the court very well. That fits nicely with our style of play. BTW, although offensively a work in progress, he did evidence a decent left handed move in post. Please no micro discussions over a tape!! Enjoy!

“@ECoastBias: Video: Chris Obekpa video from Memorial Day weekend #stjbb http://t.co/Dfksbg5n

Well Happy's ominous post has me a little worried. 

But assuming it happens, this has me pumped for next season.   I'm not expecting CO to do a lot.   But, it's exciting just to think about what Dunlap can do with a full stable of horses.   
I think we're finally going to consistently see that "baseline-to-baseline" attack that we've been hearing about and seeing glimpses of for 3 years. 

I just hope CO picks up the responsibilities of the zone quickly.  Everybody's talking about him anchoring the back line and swatting shots all over the gym - don't forget he's going to have to rotate to cover guys on the weak-side perimeter too.  He's going to have to have a steep learning curve if he's going to be effective his freshmen season.

Nothing to be worried about . I just heard he hasn't decided yet.  The fact that Dave and others are saying we are back in it and possible leaders is a miracle considering how much of a cincy lean he was. .. Just hate seeing people go crazy when it's not a done deal.  Hopefully it does because it would be huge for us .  I'll be at is8 on Saturday hoping to see 2 ST john's recruits .. Not one :)
you going ? I'm gonna text u tomorrow. depending on the markets maybe i won't go in saturday and meet up with u instead

Ill be there as well Maher and Happy!  Will be wearing black SJU cap and probably an SJU shirt.   (Made a topic about it over on the main forum)
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

lihoop

Ill be there as well Maher and Happy!  Will be wearing black SJU cap and probably an SJU shirt.   (Made a topic about it over on the main forum)

- size medium SJU shirts - sorry just had to

- size medium SJU shirts - sorry just had to

Medium shirts are a bit feminine also. If you dont have a beer belly by 30, youre not part of Baldi's crew.

lihoop

[Medium shirts are a bit feminine also. If you dont have a beer belly by 30, youre not part of Baldi's crew]

Baldi,
I just remember someone on the board not getting a t-shirt that they were promised and I think it was a size medium.

paultzman

Chris must be improving those D3 offensive skills! Lol
BTW, why am I sensing/hoping for a post IS8 commitment to Johnnies? How "imminent" is that?

“@NYCHoops: Chris Obekpa is rocking on both offense and defense vs. Juice in semis. #iS8 #basketball #boysbasketball #boyshoops”

Theo! “@TheoRabinowitz: Obekpa with 4 blocks at halftime. Felix with about 12 pts or so. Whitehead hurt his lower back midway through 2nd quarter. #stjbb”
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 03:47:40 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

Chris' team won and goes on to final.

“@TheoRabinowitz: Felix finishes with 19 pts, Obekpa with 13 pts, 8 blocks and was more active offensively today. A few nice passes & a jumper. #stjbb”

boo3

Steve Lavin ‏@STJCoachLavin
Still in the hunt for some outstanding 2012 prospects. Six now signed in this class with 2 remaining scholarships if we elect to use them!

Moose

Steve Lavin ‏@STJCoachLavin
Still in the hunt for some outstanding 2012 prospects. Six now signed in this class with 2 remaining scholarships if we elect to use them!

Cant wait for posters to still question the ability to bring in more than one guy
Remember who broke the Slice news