Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies
does anyone know when do the semesters end for Obekpa and Chandler? For chandler are we waiting for the semester to be over? just wondering

MCNPA

does anyone know when do the semesters end for Obekpa and Chandler? For chandler are we waiting for the semester to be over? just wondering

I believe with Chandler we're waiting only for an NCAA verdict.

Could be waiting on an SAT score
Tests are typically given in May and June

Chandler is a longshot to qualify. Still has a lot of work to do and I wouldn't hold much hope.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

Chandler is a longshot to qualify. Still has a lot of work to do and I wouldn't hold much hope.

Ouch

Moose

Seconded.
Remember who broke the Slice news

DFF6

Ouch

Is this recent news? 

Moose

Ouch

Is this recent news? 

The developments are definitely less encouraging than previous.

paultzman

Not surprising! Kids dig such deep holes sometimes.

ras

How does COs academics look? Does it look like he will qualify?

Ouch

Is this recent news? 

It's a good thing SJU got back involved with Obekpa then right... ;D

Moose

Ouch

Is this recent news? 

Exactly.

My previous post didn't sound right.  I meant to say yes its recent and change from previous positive views.

gman

Wish the staff would stop putting themselves in this situation. I guess it comes with the territory working with teenagers but plenty of other kids manage to qualify.

DFF6

Ouch

Is this recent news? 

Exactly.

My previous post didn't sound right.  I meant to say yes its recent and change from previous positive views.

As always, very much appreciate the updates, even if it's not good news.   Could Chandler do prep for a year and maybe qualify in 2013?

Moose

Wish the staff would stop putting themselves in this situation. I guess it comes with the territory working with teenagers but plenty of other kids manage to qualify.

If you didn't think this was a possible outcome than your naive.  There was a reason he came out of nowhere.  It was a shot in the dark.  If it worked out hell of coup, if not you move on.  You know 2012 was a different type of year for us.  Going forward I don't see us down this path.

pmg911

If you didn't think this was a possible outcome than your naive.  There was a reason he came out of nowhere.  It was a shot in the dark.  If it worked out hell of coup, if not you move on.  You know 2012 was a different type of year for us.  Going forward I don't see us down this path.

I disagree a little...   in 2011, they recruited and signed three non qualifiers (Pointer was actually considered an academic question mark for a while too). Then again this year got involved with kids that are dealing with eligibility issues issues in Wood and Obekpa and this doesn't even count the first kid they had onboard for 2012 - Jevon Thomas. They clearly don't mid taking the risk on kids who might have eligibility issues.

That being said and I don't think a lot of people realize there is a huge difference between a kid having issues with his grades and his eligibility. A potential student can be taking and passing all of his classes and be on track to graduate from high school; that doesn't mean he is going to be eligible to play as a Freshman.

Moose

I disagree a little...   in 2011, they recruited and signed three non qualifiers (Pointer was actually considered an academic question mark for a while too). Then again this year got involved with kids that are dealing with eligibility issues issues in Wood and Obekpa and this doesn't even count the first kid they had onboard for 2012 - Jevon Thomas. They clearly don't mid taking the risk on kids who might have eligibility issues.

That being said and I don't think a lot of people realize there is a huge difference between a kid having issues with his grades and his eligibility. A potential student can be taking and passing all of his classes and be on track to graduate from high school; that doesn't mean he is going to be eligible to play as a Freshman.

Pat

They had 9 players to replace in '11.  They reached out and unfortunately a couple didn't work out.  3 of the 9.  Then in addition there was some additional departures which made the focus on '12 again still mass overhauling to fill out a complete roster.  I don't see us recruiting more than 2-3 in the next couple of years.  Classes are stabilized and evened out now.  They cast the wide net two years in a row where risks were needed to be taken.  Provided Obekpa comes on board and all is square there it seems like come the start of school we have a full roster and won't have to approach 13 looking for academic risks.

With the numbers they needed to get, and the past history of the program they're selling, risks had to be taken.
Taking these risks will soon become a thing of the past unless there is an exceptionally good reason.

boo3

Just sign one of these 2( Chandler or Obekpa) and lets get this thing going. I'm tired of the recruiting game, ugh....

Plus, if neither ends up here, Baldi will start posting much more again...

Funny how we went from Chandler is a lock, Obekpa should be forgotten to Chandler should be forgotten and Chris is back in the game...

Moose

Funny how we went from Chandler is a lock, Obekpa should be forgotten to Chandler should be forgotten and Chris is back in the game...

The beauty of recruiting :)