Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

Happy

Who is NYCBaller on bearcat talk? That guy has that board under control.

I know the guy pretty well.

DFF6

Welcome Chris!  It's remarkable to think that in Lavin's 2+ years at SJU, and given the program he inherited was far removed from its glory days, he has recruited top kids literally from around the world: top local kids (Moe), top kids transplanted to NY (Chris, Felix, GG and Marco), and other top 70 kids throughout the country (Dom, D'Lo, JaKarr, etc.).  St. John's is now a true monster on the recruiting trail!  Even in the days of Coach Carnesecca,  I never thought we had much chance with top recruits outside of NY.  In his brief tenure, Lavin has already shattered that perceived limitation.     

paultzman

Good job Happy!

what's the site?

welcome chris

MCNPA

Guys, our performance on the court this upcoming season will bring in the gems in 2013 let's not get worked up just yet. After a return to the tourney next season we'll be back in business. New all along he wasnt gonna be leaving his buddy Felix . Let's go johnnies !!

Actually I want the centerpiece of our 13 class wrapped by the early signing period which would be before we played any games.

Here's to hoping that's the case.
C'mon moose only for him to decommit by mid season. These kids have no idea what they want these days and and change there minds daily

Most kids actually sign an LOI.  Its upwards of 80% of the Top 100 or so I've seen each year wrap it up early.  Again this is my hope.  We don't have an abundance of ships.  I hope we can trail our target all summer.  Have him on campus to scrimmage with the boys unofficially.  And finally get ahead of pace like other big time schools who seem to always be a class ahead.
In a perfect world I'm 100% in agreement but the way things have been going Its wishful thinking . Besides has Lawrence even began making visits yet? You would think somehow chandler and wood are still in the fold. So our 13' class may be 50% solidified already.

Pretty sure Chandler wouldn't be a target because this is his prep year.  Wouldn't he have to JUCO or something next year?  I thought only those who qualified out of HS but elected JUCO were eligible to leave JUCO after 1 year.  Agree about Wood.  Remember in 2011 we had 7 of the 9 locked up in November before Lavin even coached a regular season game.
lets not speak to quick next thing you know chandler's ruled eligible next week or something lol. good ol' lavin. but yeah i definately agree with that , but this is a business of trends. whats hot now, whos hot now. the coachng change and imminent tourney appearance created a substantial amount of buzz, enough buzz and momentum to land 7 early ones (although we know how that story ended in a 13 win season) but with the signing of obekpa and maybe even a bolt up the recrutment rankings into the top 20  will create enough momentum maybe to get some more of the upper echelon recruits to really consider us consistently. but this is where i was eluding that on court performance will be the catalyst for that wishful thinking to become fact. we've definately gained some recrutiment momentum with chris but lets play a game first and give these guys a visual.

I and every other person on here including the site owner all felt a lot more positive about one guy and negative about the other.  How times have changed they have flip flopped.  Chandler could be eligible next week for all we know and we have the room to bring him in but my faith in that has withered over the past however many months.

All I'm saying is remember after the early signing period how there weren't many big name guys.  Only ones were actually the ones that reneged from us really ha.  I haven't heard any timing from Jermaine.  But I'd like to think and hope he is among the 80% plus who want to get it out of the way.
So aside from Lawrence who do you have your eye on ? Personally I think we need to bring in a pg next year as well

Chilleb you think after Jermaine we need to look for a pg?   It was starting to sound like Jordan and Sina werent listing us anymore, but who knows.
Based soley on what's reported, I was getting the impression the staff was doubling down on post players and were hard after the two kids from Louisiana.. Martin and Jones or Mike Young from NJ.   But who knows. 
Maybe they take a best player available approach ... Regardless of position.

I think we should probably pack it in for this year and leave that ship for Wood or move on with 2 ships for next year.  Next year I think we will try to grab a top notch forward like Lawrence, Martin or another and a Big guard of sometime.  Lavin likes guys like Rysheed and Sina who can play both guard spots. 

Entering next year, we will be in a much more luxurious position than the last two years.  Lavin has recruited magnificently for a guy who had a LOT of things going against him.  Not many coaches can land this type of talent with things like cancer and several top notch kids ineligible and others leave mid-season.  We'll enter this season with a full roster and able to absorb any issues that arise. 

For next year, I'd love jermaine Lawrence.  The rest is gravy.

Cincy landed Lance Stephenson and they're accusing SJU of being dirty.  Okey dokey then.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

paultzman

“@jeffborzello: Might move them to No. 20 or so. Final rankings Wednesday. RT @Joey_4Fingers: where does Obekpa put the #stjbb 2012 class in the rankings?”

Respect Borzello's evaluations!

Poison

Cincy landed Lance Stephenson and they're accusing SJU of being dirty.  Okey dokey then.

It seems like just yesterday that Lance mattered. How long until he's in Europe?

paultzman

“@DarrickWood: Another addition to the #STJbb fam! We Winning!”

desco80

Sounds like somebody expects to be on campus this fall!   
Would be a HUGE piece. 

Moose

Sounds like somebody expects to be on campus this fall!   
Would be a HUGE piece. 

Not necessarily this year but he sure loves STJ thats for sure.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

Those that have seen Obekpa, what do you think he'll average as a freshman? Where will he excel the most?

JC

Great get after all looked lost.  Sanchez and Chris turn the frontcourt from a huge question mark to a potential strength.  All praise to Lavin (again). 

Great get after all looked lost.  Sanchez and Chris turn the frontcourt from a huge question mark to a potential strength.  All praise to Lavin (again). 

Don't forget the best of the bunch, Jakarr Sampson!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

“@jeffborzello: Might move them to No. 20 or so. Final rankings Wednesday. RT @Joey_4Fingers: where does Obekpa put the #stjbb 2012 class in the rankings?”

Jeff is my boy but 20 is high.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

In fairness, he said 20 or so. We will see. What a great day in any event!!!

MCNPA

Those that have seen Obekpa, what do you think he'll average as a freshman? Where will he excel the most?

Shotblocking, shotblocking.  He'll have plenty of time to develop the other parts of his game.  He will improve 100% just by getting on campus and working on footwork,strength and drilling with Dunlap and Co.  He has the ability and athleiticism.  He also has the drive to get better.  He learns proper position and he'll be tough.  Remember, he's only 16.  He can block shots right now though.  Teams with those tricky guards beating us on penetration and/or team's hurting us on the glass will have to contend with a new level of shotblocking threat. 

MCNPA

In fairness, he said 20 or so. We will see. What a great day in any event!!!

And that's not including Branch.  I think it is an excellent class overall regardless of what they rank us.

Tha Kid

Welcome Chris!
"I drink and I know things"