Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

Moose

Nice summary

“@STJ_Basketball: IT'S OFFICIAL: @STJCoachLavin Adds Top 20 Center Chris Obekpa (@christopherewao) To Seven-Man #STJBB Recruiting Class: http://t.co/xhnXRrHq

Lavin's squad graduated an unprecedented 10 seniors in 2011. Equal to the task, Lavin has now signed 18 student-athletes since arriving at St. John's in March of 2010. St. John's could sign one additional student-athlete for 2012-13 should Lavin elect to do so. The Red Storm's 2011 recruiting class was rated No. 3 in the nation when completed last spring, and the 2012 group has been cited as high as No. 8 according to recruiting services.

Hmm, "should Lavin elect to do so" Why mention that at all?

Don't know, but who cares?  Always great to see that the paperwork is in and everything is official.  Obekpa is a tenacious post defender with a great motor.  He's a guy that will really change our makeup.  Everything I've ever read indicates he's a by hard worker, and for a post player, there's nothing more important.  Battling Gift in practice will do him a lot of good as well.

You are staing the obvious Marcus. I was not sowing seeds of a conspiracy, but simply stating my curiosity about the last ship.

Fratto has to be very careful how he discusses unsigned players for obvious reasons.

But all indications are Jones will be officially set to go next week.

Maybe his 'setback' had to do with packing ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

Stole this from Iona board(anyone know how Obekpa played?

"Saw Glover play today for Bingos all stars at hoops in the sun. The announcers wished him good luck during the game as he hopes to hear something this tuesday concerning the NBA summer league. believe one starts this week and the other next week. As far as Mike and the game he looked in great shape and handled the ball really well, and of course crashed the boards and was unstoppable driving to the basket. He even had to go up against at time St. Johns recruit chris Obepka, who is an amazing athlete. Mikes backcourt was Steve Burtt Jr. ( he went up against Tutu Holloway from Xavier and headed to the Raptors summer league team) and Kiki Clark. Justin Marshall also played in the game. Nice surprise to see the former Gaels play at the beach. Best of luck to Mike this week !! "

Another post from Iona board who watched Obekpa play at Hoops in the Sun

"Obekpa is going to be a beast at St. John's and in the Big East - and very well may be a future lottery pick - if he bulks up. "

MCNPA

"Obekpa is going to be a beast at St. John's and in the Big East - and very well may be a future lottery pick - if he bulks up. "

Fantastic to hear.  Obekpa was a huge pickup for us.  Big impact player in the middle who will make defensive presence felt right away.  His offense will come along with hard work.  Not many out there càn match his impact altering shots though.

Fantastic to hear.  Obekpa was a huge pickup for us.  Big impact player in the middle who will make defensive presence felt right away.  His offense will come along with hard work.  Not many out there càn match his impact altering shots though.

Ya man. Our guys can cheat defensively knowing hes waiting in the paint. Long guys like Amir

MCNPA

Ya man. Our guys can cheat defensively knowing hes waiting in the paint. Long guys like Amir

It will change the plans of a lot of guys entering the lane.  Gift really isn't much of a shotblocker at all.  Obekpa is taller and much better defensive presence.  Zones can extend out more and obekpa is able to cover a lot of ground very fast.  Can't wait to see what these guys can do.

It will change the plans of a lot of guys entering the lane.  Gift really isn't much of a shotblocker at all.  Obekpa is taller and much better defensive presence.  Zones can extend out more and obekpa is able to cover a lot of ground very fast.  Can't wait to see what these guys can do.

love when guys with the arms down to their ankles can deny the passing lanes, than get out on the break on turnovers. Amir and Pointer will have a field day

crgreen

FYI  -  In the last 5 years, lottos include #1 overall Anthony Davis at 6'10 220.  Kevin Durant at 6'10 215, Brandon Wright at 6'9 205, Joachin Noah at 6'11 225, Yi Janlian at 7'0 223, Danillo Gallinaro at 6'10 220, Anthony Randoph at 6'10 205, Earl Clark 6'10 220, Farouq Al-Aminu 6'9 209, Ed Davis 6'10 222, Janos Valanicious 6'11 228, and John Henson 6'11 218.

It's been a LONG time since the NBA has waited for players to "bulk up" before taking them in the Lottery.....FYI - Nerlens Noel measured 6'11 215 at the Hoop fest 8 weeks ago...Nobody's putting the "bulking up" qualifier on HIM...   Bulks got nothing to do with it.  If the talent is there,   215 like Noel or 265 like Drummond, they're getting picked....

MCNPA

Tweet from Chris Obekpa this AM

"Mutombo did it, Wallace followed, why can't I do it... D is what I luv...#motivation"

Really refreshing.  Love having a big man who takes pride in his defense.  It's extremely rare these days.

Poison

"Mutombo did it, Wallace followed, why can't I do it... D is what I luv...#motivation"

Really refreshing.  Love having a big man who takes pride in his defense.  It's extremely rare these days.

I don't recall ever having a player with his skill set. We could be great defensively with him if he's ready to defend right away. Even if he just contributes as an honest defender, Pointer, Garrett, Branch and Greene can set the tone.

paultzman

I don't recall ever having a player with his skill set. We could be great defensively with him if he's ready to defend right away. Even if he just contributes as an honest defender, Pointer, Garrett, Branch and Greene can set the tone.

Agree

desco80

Poison, you like Phil's defense that much to mention him with the others?   Hmm.   I'm not disagreeing, I guess I just never thought of what he brings to the table defensively.   Usually graded his games last season by how well he handled the point.. but you're right, he is pretty solid on D. 

Poison, you like Phil's defense that much to mention him with the others?   Hmm.   I'm not disagreeing, I guess I just never thought of what he brings to the table defensively.   Usually graded his games last season by how well he handled the point.. but you're right, he is pretty solid on D. 

I also like Phil as a defender. Hes quick, long, and most importantly hes tough
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

kjd01067

I moved all the Phil Greene talk to the main board.  Lets keep this thread on Chris

pmg911

Can anyone confirm that Chris Obekpa started summer school this week.?

paultzman

Can anyone confirm that Chris Obekpa started summer school this week.?

It is "Christopher" Pat! Just kidding man!

pmg911

Touché...

Not to be the bearer of bad news once again but there might be issues with both Chris Obekpa and Felix Balamou qualifying. They are looking into it as of now.

Not to be the bearer of bad news once again but there might be issues with both Chris Obekpa and Felix Balamou qualifying. They are looking into it as of now.

FCK! Thought this crap was over

crgreen

FCK! Thought this crap was over

Thought both were already enrolled and in class.   Isn't "qualified" a prerequisite for that?