Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

LJSA

Re: Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American School - Centereach, NY
« Reply #340 on: February 22, 2012, 05:26:46 PM »

James Padgett and Vincent Council are playing at Maryland and Providence respectively now.

Council may have had another stop in between Lincoln and Providence.

Like Lawrence, I think Padgett only did one year. Not enough time for Tiny to screw them up too much. ;D

pmg911

« Reply #341 on: February 23, 2012, 08:46:52 AM »
Vincent Counsel didn't start or finish his high school basketball career at Lincoln High School. He started at Xaverian and was part of a group of kids that transfered to Lincoln because Tiny got in their ears and one of them, James Padgett, couldn't handle the school work. Counsel finished his career at Patterson School in North Carolina, then went to Providence

Padgett is avergaging 9ppg & 6rpg on a middle of the road Maryland team. I would not call that impact.

« Reply #342 on: February 23, 2012, 08:49:22 AM »
I didn't claim they had impact. I was just naming players that I remembered that had played for Lincoln during parts of their HS careers.

Misunderstood the previous posts then.

As for impact then, I can't think of any.

I don't even think Lance was impact at Cinc.

MCNPA

« Reply #343 on: February 23, 2012, 08:50:42 AM »
I'm actually thinking he may be there more for senior 6'8" PF Tafari Whittingham.  Whittingham is a fantastic athlete that's used to playing in the post.  A little bit raw but is a deer on the court and is long and has a great motor.  He fits the profile of guys we are recruiting.  With our desperate need for frontcourt help, a local Lincoln kid like this wouldn't hurt us at all.  He plays C and PF for Lincoln, so he certainly could provide depth at PF. 

I'm of the school of thought that we only need two talented big men and a guard, so I'm all for a project or two in addition to (fingers crossed) Obekpa, Sampson, and a guard to be named later.

If this guy fits the bill athletically and doesn't mind sitting for a couple of years, sign him up.

If we get Sampson and Obekpa along with Branch we have a very, very good class.  Add another player or so with upside like Phil Greene or a shooter for depth and we don't lose a step.  I really hope we can land Sampson and obekpa.  We will be hard to stop if we do.

boo3

« Reply #344 on: February 23, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »
I'm actually thinking he may be there more for senior 6'8" PF Tafari Whittingham.  Whittingham is a fantastic athlete that's used to playing in the post.  A little bit raw but is a deer on the court and is long and has a great motor.  He fits the profile of guys we are recruiting.  With our desperate need for frontcourt help, a local Lincoln kid like this wouldn't hurt us at all.  He plays C and PF for Lincoln, so he certainly could provide depth at PF. 

I'm of the school of thought that we only need two talented big men and a guard, so I'm all for a project or two in addition to (fingers crossed) Obekpa, Sampson, and a guard to be named later.

If this guy fits the bill athletically and doesn't mind sitting for a couple of years, sign him up.

If we get Sampson and Obekpa along with Branch we have a very, very good class.  Add another player or so with upside like Phil Greene or a shooter for depth and we don't lose a step.  I really hope we can land Sampson and obekpa.  We will be hard to stop if we do.

Landing both would be a home run at this point. I would be happy to land one of the two.  Lavin was on a radio show yesterday and said he expected to sign "3 or 4 " recruits for 2012.  If its only three, 2, at minimum, have to be bigs. 

crgreen

« Reply #345 on: February 24, 2012, 02:40:36 AM »
Vincent Counsel didn't start or finish his high school basketball career at Lincoln High School. He started at Xaverian and was part of a group of kids that transfered to Lincoln because Tiny got in their ears and one of them, James Padgett, couldn't handle the school work. Counsel finished his career at Patterson School in North Carolina, then went to Providence

Padgett is avergaging 9ppg & 6rpg on a middle of the road Maryland team. I would not call that impact.

He's the leading rebounder and 3rd leading scorer, hitting over 51% from the field.   

You and I apparently have very different definitions of "impact"....

sju89tr

« Reply #346 on: February 24, 2012, 08:09:50 AM »

At this point we need 3 big men and a shooter. Sampson is the key.

« Reply #347 on: February 26, 2012, 04:06:56 PM »
If you're on twitter follow Chris @christopherewao

« Reply #348 on: February 26, 2012, 10:20:51 PM »

"If" if if if if....

When are we going to ACTUALLY START getting somebody or how about anybody other than zero current commitments?  Is that not true or am I making this question up at this point?  Right now the fact is as things stand, we're numerous scholarship players short on the St. John's roster going into next season and many of the top prospects are commiting elsewhere.

We like to blow a lot of hot air here, but talk gets cheap after awhile.  I hope I start seeing some top national recruits commiting to SJU very soon so that I can stop asking this question.  However, we currently stand at (0) commitments and we need a handful/5 more.

« Reply #349 on: February 26, 2012, 10:50:55 PM »

"If" if if if if....

When are we going to ACTUALLY START getting somebody or how about anybody other than zero current commitments?  Is that not true or am I making this question up at this point?  Right now the fact is as things stand, we're numerous scholarship players short on the St. John's roster going into next season and many of the top prospects are commiting elsewhere.

We like to blow a lot of hot air here, but talk gets cheap after awhile.  I hope I start seeing some top national recruits commiting to SJU very soon so that I can stop asking this question.  However, we currently stand at (0) commitments and we need a handful/5 more.

You said it yourself...."talk is cheap". 

So lets discuss what we know....

-we have a young team improving every day
-we have a top notch staff (in game and on a national recruiting level)
-2 Big East all Freshman Team members
-Jamal Branch Eligible in Dec. Top 50 2011 recruit

With no additions or subtractions....the 7 players we have for next year will lead us to the NCAA Toruney

I also believe we will have more than 7 scholarship players next year.  So it would not surprise me if we are playing on the 2nd weekend of the NCAA's next year.  Regardless of who else we sign on.

I know the doubters will talk about kool-aid and everything else.  Bottom line....we don't need 13 scholarship players to make a successful season next year.  We really only need 1 addition and we're legit Sweet 16 material. 

I really believe we will land a TOP recruiting class that everyone is looking for in the class of 2013.  So sit back and enjoy these kids competing their tails off because we wouldn't have had any of these kids with the prior regime. 

LJSA

« Reply #350 on: February 27, 2012, 12:53:23 AM »
"If" if if if if....

How goddamn stupid are you, buki? When does the signing period start? Please tell me.

The only good thing about you is that you stopped incorrectly using the phrase "You can bring a horse to water..." over and over and over again. Other than that, you bring absolutely nothing to the boards. No basketball knowledge, no insight, no humor. Nothing.

The best part is that you'll disappear once we get recruits. Just like you disappear after victories.

Marillac

« Reply #351 on: February 27, 2012, 01:26:23 AM »

For Brooklyn info you listen to PMG.  For the Bronx you listen to KOB and Choz.  For Iona updates you have Marco.  And for updates on side cleavage you have WASJU.

« Reply #352 on: February 28, 2012, 11:30:46 PM »

"If" if if if if....

With no additions or subtractions....the 7 players we have for next year will lead us to the NCAA Toruney

I also believe we will have more than 7 scholarship players next year.  So it would not surprise me if we are playing on the 2nd weekend of the NCAA's next year.  Regardless of who else we sign on.

I know the doubters will talk about kool-aid and everything else.  Bottom line....we don't need 13 scholarship players to make a successful season next year.  We really only need 1 addition and we're legit Sweet 16 material. 

I really believe we will land a TOP recruiting class that everyone is looking for in the class of 2013.  So sit back and enjoy these kids competing their tails off because we wouldn't have had any of these kids with the prior regime.

"We only need one addition to make the Sweet Sixteen".  (lol)

Keep dreaming pal!  Keep slurping it!  The Kool-Aid Club will love that opinion.  The Kool-Aid Club are perennial positive and always optimistic yet unrealistic losers, that's what they are and that's their M.O.  They dream of unrealistic glory because they can't see the unfortunate reality that exists, than we lose, than they spin and than the vicious cycle starts all over again and by doing that over & over again they inadvertently become the barrier to future success.  "With friends like them we don't need enemies", because they're always more than satisfied with mediocrity and not only that, but they support it.  They always become part of the fan-base that protects the losing system that for what-ever reason(s) isn't winning or working but yet it's good enough for them.  These were the same fans who supported Norm Roberts.  Now is Lavin another Roberts?  NO not even close, but right now things are not working both in recruiting and on the basketball court and in regard to building a better stronger winning program.  EX:  Transfers, academic casualties, De-commitments.  Sound familiar?  Didn't Norm Roberts experience that as well?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:53:13 PM by Lapchick1 »

Poison

« Reply #353 on: February 28, 2012, 11:50:42 PM »
I think if we can add 3 guys that can defend the paint, and rebound this group will be able to win the games that they lost vs teams like Arizona, Texas A&M, Nova, Duke & GTown. In those games, we played well enough to win, but we ran out of players and gas.

We surrender a dozen free baskets just because we don't have a body in there to defend.

Greene, Harrison, Harkless, Garrett and Pointer will all score more next year. Scoring won't be our problem. We need enforcers down low. This is where Obekpa is such an important recruit.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:53:02 PM by Poison »

« Reply #354 on: February 29, 2012, 12:20:52 AM »

Keep dreaming pal!  Keep slurping it!  The Kool-Aid Club will love that opinion.  The Kool-Aid Club are perennial positive and always optimistic yet unrealistic losers, that's what they are and that's their M.O.  They dream of unrealistic glory because they can't see the unfortunate reality that exists, than we lose, than they spin and than the vicious cycle starts all over again and by doing that over & over again they inadvertently become the barrier to future success.  "With friends like them we don't need enemies", because they're always more than satisfied with mediocrity and not only that, but they support it.  They always become part of the fan-base that protects the losing system that for what-ever reason(s) isn't winning or working but yet it's good enough for them.  These were the same fans who supported Norm Roberts.  Now is Lavin another Roberts?  NO not even close, but right now things are not working both in recruiting and on the basketball court and in regard to building a better stronger winning program.  EX:  Transfers, academic casualties, De-commitments.  Sound familiar?  Didn't Norm Roberts experience that as well?

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish?

DFF6

« Reply #355 on: February 29, 2012, 12:26:11 AM »

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish?

I think he's trying to fill the negative view of the world void created by the departures of IllWill and Realfan.  He's doing a good job.

Marillac

« Reply #356 on: February 29, 2012, 02:27:53 AM »

"If" if if if if....

Coach Cooley, I'm impressed that you have time to post here.  I understand the importance recruiting has in your plan--seeing as you are the worst in-game coach in the Big East. You know your only chance of not getting canned in three years is to land two more top 75 players. 

« Reply #357 on: February 29, 2012, 07:20:01 AM »

"If" if if if if....

"We only need one addition to make the Sweet Sixteen".  (lol)

You use a lot of words that amount of absolutely nothing.  We're on a 3 game winning streak, yet continue your banter about how bad the program is.  Why don't you go find a Mets (sorry Mets fans) forum and spew your doom and gloom to them.  Maybe they care!!!

Recruit Scoop- Steve Lavin of St. John's saw Chris Obekpa, a 2012 PF from Our Savior (NY), yesterday. He's recently visited UConn, PC, DePaul & Cincy.

LJSA

Recruit Scoop- Steve Lavin of St. John's saw Chris Obekpa, a 2012 PF from Our Savior (NY), yesterday. He's recently visited UConn, PC, DePaul & Cincy.

I was just trying to find OSNA's schedule to see if he was the reason Lavin was in New Jersey.