Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies
so how about Obekpa...how did the official go?

so how about Obekpa...how did the official go?

We'll find out relatively soon. Gotta imagine it went well

Marillac

Lavin doesn't miss on guys he gets on official visits.  In fact, Lav gets some to commit without ever visiting and most to commit on unifficials.  Giving Lav the official to close the deal is like giving a high school football player a bottle of liquor and a hotel room to close the deal on prom weekend.

Lavin doesn't miss on guys he gets on official visits.  In fact, Lav gets some to commit without ever visiting and most to commit on unifficials.  Giving Lav the official to close the deal is like giving a high school football player a bottle of liquor and a hotel room to close the deal on prom weekend.

haha hope you're analogy is dead on this time too

One more re Wayne McKoy-local tv sportscaster Bill Mazer stated on his sportscast that Bill Walton better enjoy things now because there is a 9th grader that is going to take over college basketball named Wayne Mckoy. We were all excited and expected a great dominating player when he got to St J's and we spent the next 3 yrs watching him get his butt kicked by Jeff Ruland of Iona. Would have been for 4 yrs but Ruland went pro because Jim Valvano left for NC ST.

Gumby

One more re Wayne McKoy-local tv sportscaster Bill Mazer stated on his sportscast that Bill Walton better enjoy things now because there is a 9th grader that is going to take over college basketball named Wayne Mckoy. We were all excited and expected a great dominating player when he got to St J's and we spent the next 3 yrs watching him get his butt kicked by Jeff Ruland of Iona. Would have been for 4 yrs but Ruland went pro because Jim Valvano left for NC ST.

An golden oldie- Bill Mazur, his blue blazer, and toupe.  I remember feeling so good that we got Wayne from LI Lutheran, until I heard Coach Al McGuire talk about NY recruits.  He mentioned Ruland was clearly far superior to Wayne in skills.  He was right.  But Wayne gave it his all.

crgreen

Time for a little SJU history lesson.  He was a 6'8" man-child at LuHi ranked either 1 or 2 coming out.  Looie landed him in '77 and he never reached the lofty expectations many expected of him.  His body matured early.  He teamed with Reggie Carter at LuHi and they both wound up here after Reggie transferred in from Hawaii.

I think he may have been ranked #2 next to..... Magic.

Earvin and Wayne were high out of high school, but not THAT high nationally.   Still remember the Street & Smith cover that year - The big 3 were Gene Banks, Kenny Dennard and Albert King.  Albert was the defacto #1, but S&S had a special 3 page feature on the "real" #1 - a 6'10 soph in West Virginia named Earl Jones....

CR, I seem to remember Magic, like Felipe Lopez years later, being on the SI cover prior to the start of his freshman season ... and that's bigger than the S&S cover.

SI vault shows THIS as the first Magic Cover.   

And FYI, when it came to HS hoops, SI was nowhere close to being as prestigious as S&S.....There was Street and Smith, and there was Parade covering HS on the national scene.  And if you paid your subscription fee, a six time a year  Newsletter called Blue Ribbon (still around today, tho evolved into the best collegiate annual you can find but with decreased HS reporting).   There wasn't a "Sports Illustrated High School All America team - just the occasional national article on a single player or two.   They never did live down the 1970 cover of Tom McMillen (of course, lucky for them due to NCAA rules, it took 2 years for them to actually play Varsity basketball for folks to realize how silly McMillen over Bill Walton really was).

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:25:37 AM by crgreen »

pmg911

Lavin doesn't miss on guys he gets on official visits.

Marillac - come on now - Kyle Anderson.

mkras99

I don't follow these things as closely as I used to, but I don't recall Kyle taking an official to St. John's (doesn't mean that marillac is right though).

pmg911

paultzman

Chris,Felix and a bunch of other kids at the Port Chester band box tourney tonite.

Q“@LoHudInsider: Here's a list of the talent on the court tonight at the CYP tournament: http://t.co/JtM2FtF2”q

mkras99

Chris,Felix and a bunch of other kids at the Port Chester band box tourney tonite.

Q“@LoHudInsider: Here's a list of the talent on the court tonight at the CYP tournament: http://t.co/JtM2FtF2”q

What does your reliable/informative buddy have to say about Chris O. and STJ?

Moose

So this means I have to go now haha
Remember who broke the Slice news

PIB

I live in Port Chester. I'm thinking about heading over to watch the game.

An golden oldie- Bill Mazur, his blue blazer, and toupe.  I remember feeling so good that we got Wayne from LI Lutheran, until I heard Coach Al McGuire talk about NY recruits.  He mentioned Ruland was clearly far superior to Wayne in skills.  He was right.  But Wayne gave it his all.
I caddied for Bill Mazer many a time.  He had a heavy arsed "trunk" (caddy parlance) w/ loads of crap in it.  Depending on whether he was in the mood for it, it was fun shooting the breeze about sports w/ him out on the course.  Oh, and I was caddying for his bro David when he had a hole in one.

paultzman

What does your reliable/informative buddy have to say about Chris O. and STJ?

Surprised at the visit and no insight on this one.

Moose

Port Chester born and raised and still in Westchester.  I go every year but this year some of the usual suspect teams weren't in the tourney.  Knowing some of the names tonight I will go for the 2nd game.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

Port Chester born and raised and still in Westchester.  I go every year but this year some of the usual suspect teams weren't in the tourney.  Knowing some of the names tonight I will go for the 2nd game.

Looking forward to your report Moose. Do me a favor and close the deal on Obekpa! enjoy the game

Chilleb

Your in for a treat if obekpas team plays whiteheads team tonight. They also have Jordan Washington on obekpas team, what a front court! Wouldn't be suprised if you catch chiles and company being at the game either.

My father was also born and raised in PC.