Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

desco80

Sanchez / Chandler, Sanchez / Nolan likely outcomes in that order if scuttlebutt re: Obekpa true IMO. That would be ok, but I certainly prefer Obekpa in the mix. Another mid size, flexible big to play some three and four? We'll see.

No chance that we can get 3 of them?   Like a Chandler/Sanchez/Nolan package?    Or will too many incoming post players scare one another off?

I think 3 is definitely possible and likely the direction staff is moving.

I'd like nothing more than that combo, with our without Obekpa.  I love the height of Chandler and Nolan at 6'11 and 6'10 respectively.  Lots of room for both guys. Would allow Sanchez to play more at the 4.  Would be a phenomenal class.  Crossing my fingers.

man, that would be perfect.   Let's hope things fall our way the next few weeks.

Chandler and Obekpa and add a shooter JUCO shooter. We are focusing too much energy on this class and losing recruits in the other classes. Seems almost like a recurring nightmare 
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Moose

Chandler and Obekpa and add a shooter JUCO shooter. We are focusing too much energy on this class and losing recruits in the other classes. Seems almost like a recurring nightmare 

So no Sanchez in your class?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Chilleb

So no Sanchez in your class?
After a return to the ncaa's all those recruit will be back

Sanchez looks good and will help us balance this class with a JR? But I just don't see him getting tons of minutes at the PF(Gods Gift & Jakarr Sampson) sport or 3 spot( Amir , Sir Dom & 3 guard line ups). If he could play the full time 5 like Obekpa he would be more attractive to me. Just can't imagine he would be happy as our 3rd string PF & C if we were to landed Obekpa & Chandler.

Sanchez however could prove to be positive for the future Latin American recruits, that is huge pipe line that SJU being a NYC University should be able to tap into and dominate. But I also feel the same way about the continent of Africa. Latin America, the Caribbean , Canada and Africa are the future of Western Hemispheric Basketball and SJU is geographically placed in the melting pot giving it a favorable advantage.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

paultzman

Sanchez looks good and will help us balance this class with a JR? But I just don't see him getting tons of minutes at the PF(Gods Gift & Jakarr Sampson) sport or 3 spot( Amir , Sir Dom & 3 guard line ups). If he could play the full time 5 like Obekpa he would be more attractive to me. Just can't imagine he would be happy as our 3rd string PF & C if we were to landed Obekpa & Chandler.

Sanchez however could prove to be positive for the future Latin American recruits, that is huge pipe line that SJU being a NYC University should be able to tap into and dominate. But I also feel the same way about the continent of Africa. Latin America, the Caribbean , Canada and Africa are the future of Western Hemispheric Basketball and SJU is geographically placed in the melting pot giving it a favorable advantage.

IMO Sanchez much more skilled and court savvy than Gift.

Chilleb

Sanchez and 2 out of the 3 obekpa ,chandler and Nolan would build a very scary team. If we add one more scoring wing wing in Morris we'd contend to win the big east. We have enough defensive wings we just need to add another scorer. Lav said he was signing 5 recruits for this season since then we added balamou and Sampson lost moe= 4 more ships to fill!

ras

I ll take 2 of the above. Im not greedy. Im also realistic, Dont think we are going to get 3 and we dont need 3 [assuming the 2 qualify]. CO and and Chandler would be the best 2 IMO.

Moose

+100

Gift will come off the bench.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

desco80

+100

Very different games though from what I've seen.   Sanchez may well be the better player, but in the games I saw he didn't play with his back to the basket, and didn't appear to be the rebounder Gift is.   Moose you probably saw Sanchez more than I, but I didn't see him being a true post player. 

With that said - Sanchez is miles ahead of Gift in terms of seeing the floor, moving without the ball, passing, ball handling... all those things.

Moose

+100

Very different games though from what I've seen.   Sanchez may well be the better player, but in the games I saw he didn't play with his back to the basket, and didn't appear to be the rebounder Gift is.   Moose you probably saw Sanchez more than I, but I didn't see him being a true post player. 

With that said - Sanchez is miles ahead of Gift in terms of seeing the floor, moving without the ball, passing, ball handling... all those things.

Anyone can play 4 if we have a legit center(s) like Chandler, Nolan or Obekpa.  I think Sanchez and Jakarr will be 3/4's for us.

Chilleb

Here at the NYC wheelchair classic and looking at all 6'8 of obekpa. Not sure if he's playing yet he's talking to the tournament officials

Here at the NYC wheelchair classic and looking at all 6'8 of obekpa. Not sure if he's playing yet he's talking to the tournament officials

Where is the NYC Wheelchair Classic being played? I've gone to this game in years past but I have not seen it advertised in a couple of years.

Chilleb

York college on liberty and guy r brewer in queens

Tried to go to Wheelchair Classic back in the 70's when B King was a senior-got lost in Queens, ended up in car accident-not a good night and we didn't get King.

Chilleb

Womp Womp will not be playing

Moose

Why not?

Chilleb

Why not?
I overheard he did not attend the mandatory senior citizen home visit

Tiznow

Let's hope he returns to Queens in the summer and fall.  I feel the SJU chances are looking better.  Cincy is rumored as being in front for a long time, but they have not received a committment.  He's spending his post HS season time a lot closer to Queens than Cincy.  The time works in favor of SJU if they are chasing. 

I suppose he gets this trip to Oregon over with and we'll hear the word.