Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

Moose

I want 6 big men.  Why don't we have 6 big men?  I don't care that you can only have 13 scholarship players.  Or that most teams only play 10 'maybe' 11 guys.  I want 18 players.  We can get the others to walk on.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

I want 6 big men.  Why don't we have 6 big men?  I don't care that you can only have 13 scholarship players.  Or that most teams only play 10 'maybe' 11 guys.  I want 18 players.  We can get the others to walk on.

How tall will your big men be Moose? lol

Moose

At minimum 7 ft.  Nobody under 7 ft.

MCNPA

Well UCLA is fielding a team with about 11 big men this season... ;)

Chilleb

At minimum 7 ft.  Nobody under 7 ft.

Heard Michael obekpa just decommitted from bank of America university and he's wide open hearing from all the big guns . He's said to have interest in us but only stands 6'11 and 3/4. Grades could be an issue.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:10:34 AM by Chilleb »

Poison

Coleman, Keita, Southerland, Christmas, Fair and Grant.
That's what I'd like here. It's certainly not unheard of because there it is. Spelled out. It works.

Moose

That's what I'd like here. It's certainly not unheard of because there it is. Spelled out. It works.

Southerland, Fair and Grant are not big men IMO

MCNPA

Southerland, Fair and Grant are not big men IMO

Southerland, Fair and Grant aren't much different than Sampson, Pointer, Amir.  Christmas abut the same as Orlando.  Coleman is a big boy but Gift isn't much shorter.  We're missing a guy like Keita for sure.  He's the only bonafide pure center of that group.

We have 3 "big" men.  We don't have enough to even match up in practice.  I don't care if they.are centers but ideally you want 4 to 5 big guys of at least PF size 6' 8" or bigger and over 200 pounds.or so.  Are any of the the three we have that big?  Sanchez and Sampson can't be much over 200 pounds soaking wet.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

We have 3 "big" men.  We don't have enough to even match up in practice.  I don't care if they.are centers but ideally you want 4 to 5 big guys of at least PF size 6' 8" or bigger and over 200 pounds.or so.  Are any of the the three we have that big?  Sanchez and Sampson can't be much over 200 pounds soaking wet.

You can't just take a figure like 6'8" and equate that to being a big man.  Cuse has 3 big men too.  Christmas, Coleman and Keita.  Grant is 6'7" 195 lb wing.  Southerland and Fair are 6'8 200lb wings also.  SJU's Garrett and Pointer are both about 6'6" 200lbs which is not much different than Syracuse's wings.  Sampson is about 6'8" 200lbs.  Orlando 6'9" 215 which is the same size as Christmas.  It's pretty much a wash there. 

Cuse has Coleman and Keita.  For big bodies in that realm, we only have Gift.  Coleman is generously listed at about  6'9"and 280, Gift about 6'8" and 235.  I agree that we could really use one more big guy,must we certainly aren't dwarfed by Syracuse's roster next season.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:43:49 AM by MCNPA »

boo3

We tend to get caught up in measurements too much.

CJ Fair is a big man in my book. He is a great rebounder, especially offensive, and does most of his damage in the paint. 

I'd rather have guys like him and Jakarr than a 7 foot stiff like CuJo or Muto.  Was Charles Barkely a big man? Charles Mineland, A Glover?

I will be perfectly cOntent with this class if Chandler is the last guy brought in.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:42:05 PM by boo3 »

Dam behind Jakarr I wanted Chris the 2nd most. His rebounding and shot blocking would of trigger our fast pace offense and allowed our great perimeter defenders to extend knowing a great shot blocker is behind them.

Dam we still need TWO bigs!

I'd much prefer Chandler personally.  We definitely don't need two more bigs in this class.  Add one and we still have Gift and Orlando for the 4/5 which is plenty this season.

I want both Chandler & Chris and that is not being greedy that is just what we need bad. IMO Orlando seems more like a 3/4. I am just tired of getting killed on the boards when we play elite teams & getting no easy points in the post. Thank god , Big East lost a lot of their  quality Bigs this year, so maybe a lack of a big man won't hurt us as much this year.

Just hope we can get a good C in 2013 or it will be very hard to turn the corner.

Also if Chris doesn't want to play here definitely don't want him here!

It amazes me how restless people get when a kid doesn't commit here. We are not getting both Chandler and Obekpa.. and even though it would be nice.. we don't need both.  Yesterday the staff officially announces the addition of 6 players... and you are worried that  " it will be very hard to turn the corner"    Patience :)
I

I am not getting restless I just appreciate Chris's game and wanted him on the roster. Felt like he filled a void and balanced out the roster. You can never have a enough big men playing in the NCAA with 5 fouls especially after losing our best interior player and rebounder.

Chandler and Chris would make us a top 10 squad by season end. Would see no weakness.

You said we don't need both? Is that  to win an NCAA championship or to win the NIT title?
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Moose

CJ Fair is a big man in my book. He is a great rebounder, especially offensive, and does most of his damage in the paint. 

I'd rather have guys like him and Jakarr than a 7 foot stiff like CuJo or Muto.  Was Charles Barkely a big man? Charles Mineland, A Glover?

I will be perfectly cOntent with this class if Chandler is the last guy brought in.

CJ Fair is Amir to me.  I see so much in common.

boo3

Really?  I hope you are right. Fair is physically bigger . Plays a lot more in the paint. 

Moose

Really?  I hope you are right. Fair is physically bigger . Plays a lot more in the paint. 

They are pretty much same size plus-
CJ averages 8.5 and 5 freshman year.  Amir averaged 7.4 and 4.

boo3

Interesting.  I thought Fair was 6'8 and Amir 6'6.  Numbers are similar.  I would assume that Amir had a lot more minutes per game though.  ( I don't have the stats in front of me). But maybe not.

Would love for Amir to be that type of player though . To be a great team you need guys that do those little things.

kjd01067

Fair 18.6 min freshman year 26.4 min soph year. Amir 26.9 mins per game
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:23:29 PM by kjd01067 »

Happy

Dam behind Jakarr I wanted Chris the 2nd most. His rebounding and shot blocking would of trigger our fast pace offense and allowed our great perimeter defenders to extend knowing a great shot blocker is behind them.

Dam we still need TWO bigs!

I'd much prefer Chandler personally.  We definitely don't need two more bigs in this class.  Add one and we still have Gift and Orlando for the 4/5 which is plenty this season.

I want both Chandler & Chris and that is not being greedy that is just what we need bad. IMO Orlando seems more like a 3/4. I am just tired of getting killed on the boards when we play elite teams & getting no easy points in the post. Thank god , Big East lost a lot of their  quality Bigs this year, so maybe a lack of a big man won't hurt us as much this year.

Just hope we can get a good C in 2013 or it will be very hard to turn the corner.

Also if Chris doesn't want to play here definitely don't want him here!

It amazes me how restless people get when a kid doesn't commit here. We are not getting both Chandler and Obekpa.. and even though it would be nice.. we don't need both.  Yesterday the staff officially announces the addition of 6 players... and you are worried that  " it will be very hard to turn the corner"    Patience :)
I

I am not getting restless I just appreciate Chris's game and wanted him on the roster. Felt like he filled a void and balanced out the roster. You can never have a enough big men playing in the NCAA with 5 fouls especially after losing our best interior player and rebounder.

Chandler and Chris would make us a top 10 squad by season end. Would see no weakness.

You said we don't need both? Is that  to win an NCAA championship or to win the NIT title?

We don't need both.. It would be great.. But it isn't happening... Not trying to be negative but if you think getting both would get us to a NCAA title or a top 10 ranking this year .. Well then you are drinking :).   Baby steps with this team IMO.  If we could slip into the tourney and hover outside the top 25 , then I think we would all be pleased and admit that could be realistic.

Moose

Amir with a late start too missing a chunk of games.

derk

Amir with a late start too missing a chunk of games.

Yes but Amir on a team desperate for players on which my grandmother could've averaged 20 minutes, versus Fair on a very deep team and still getting 26. Amir might not get 27 this year.