Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

Moose

I'm sorry but I'm going to say it.

If Obekpa was still a consideration these posts would be talking about him oozing potential.  Now all of a sudden he can't jump over the phone book, worst hands since Sean Evans and offensive liability.
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

If Obekpa was still a consideration these posts would be talking about him oozing potential.  Now all of a sudden he can't jump over the phone book, worst hands since Sean Evans and offensive liability.

Of course. Hysterical

Exactly.  Obekpa would play big minutes for SJU next year.  It is not the end of the world if he does not come to SJU but at the same time I am not going to suddenly start pretending the guy would have no impact at SJU until maybe his junior year, that is not fair at all.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:06:37 AM by fordham96 »

boo3

Cue Bobre to defend Evans hands , blaming Lavin and Norm and... and . ..and

mkras99

Spot on, Moose. Would be interesting to pull some posts from our scouts on Obekpa from say two+ months ago.

sju89tr

I saw Chandler play in person one time and I was very impressed. I am not saying Obekpa is not going to be a solid college player but I do think you will see him scoring very little and I am not sure his rebounding numbers are going to be great. 

Moose

I saw Chandler play in person one time and I was very impressed. I am not saying Obekpa is not going to be a solid college player but I do think you will see him scoring very little and I am not sure his rebounding numbers are going to be great. 

I'm not comparing Chandler to Obekpa.  But all we heard from our fans all year is how we need defensive presence down low, a game changer who can block and alter shots.  I've seen Obekpa and he is that.  Now all of a sudden the blemishes are being blown up.  Its just too atypical.  A player is a player regardless of what school he chooses when I look at him.  I said from the beginning nothing more than 5.7 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.9 ppg would be tremendous.  And for those who don't remember that is Dieng's freshman season numbers from Lville.  Soph year with proper coaching he improved to the tune of 9.1, 9.1 and 3.2 respectively.

sju89tr

I'm not comparing Chandler to Obekpa.  But all we heard from our fans all year is how we need defensive presence down low, a game changer who can block and alter shots.  I've seen Obekpa and he is that.  Now all of a sudden the blemishes are being blown up.  Its just too atypical.  A player is a player regardless of what school he chooses when I look at him.  I said from the beginning nothing more than 5.7 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.9 ppg would be tremendous.  And for those who don't remember that is Dieng's freshman season numbers from Lville.  Soph year with proper coaching he improved to the tune of 9.1, 9.1 and 3.2 respectively.

Oh OK

I love Obekpa's shot blocking ability which St Johns has not had in years. I just think he is a rotation guy on a good team. In no way was I saying that I ddin't or wouldn't want him. Chandler is better though but who knows if he will ever play an NCAA game.

MCNPA

I'm not saying I don't like Obekpa.  I certainly do and wld love a guy like him at SJU.  Was just saying I like Chandler better.  The point about his hops is just interesting as most shotblockers rely on a significant vertical.  Obekpa's timing is second to none at the defensive end.

As soon as I saw Felix and Opekba play on youtube. which was about the time Felix committed and we were still well in the hunt for opekba, I said Felix was the better player. The more I watch Opekba the less I think of him. And it has nothing to do with him not coming here.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Happens all the time of these boards. Funny kinda.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

Who cares if he can score at all? If he blocks 8 shots per game, he won't need to.

Who cares if he can score at all? If he blocks 8 shots per game, he won't need to.

seems plausible

paultzman

Amen man! Our objectivity is surely lacking at times!!

Yea shot blocking is so important because your not even counting the shots the shot blocker is altering. And why has this become Chandler Vs Chris when one is a PF and one is a true 5. We still need both if we wanted to compete for the title in 2 years IMO
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Moose

Yea shot blocking is so important because your not even counting the shots the shot blocker is altering. And why has this become Chandler Vs Chris when one is a PF and one is a true 5. We still need both if we wanted to compete for the title in 2 years IMO

Well I don't think one is a PF and the other is a center.  They are both centers.
And we can forget about both because Obekpa is not coming here :)

I don't think there is much NOT true about what people are saying of Obekpa's abilities.  He has other-worldly defensive ability which can alter an opponent's game plan and he has D2 or D3 offensive skills at this point.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Moose

I don't think there is much NOT true about what people are saying of Obekpa's abilities.  He has other-worldly defensive ability which can alter an opponent's game plan and he has D2 or D3 offensive skills at this point.

D2 or D3 offensive skills.
Come on.
Nobody would be highly sought after or ranked as high if your evaluation was in fact true.

Come on.
Nobody would be highly sought after or ranked as high if your evaluation was in fact true.

never seen him make a post move

Moose

Come on.

never seen him make a post move

Again D2 or D3.  Think about that statement.  That means offensively he's worse than the Center of NJIT.