Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

Tha Kid

When Shelden Williams was a freshman his offensive talent was extremely low his frosh year at Duke.  He traveled nearly every time he got the ball.  I assume he was still more talented than Obekpa, never having seen him play, based on all accounts, since Shelden averaged 8 points his frosh year.  That said, Shelden was a beast rebounder/shot blocker.  By his senior year, he averaged 19 a game and was an offensive force in college...of course until his offensive deficiencies were totally exposed in the NBA.  That said, just using him as an example of how a top defensive player that is EXTREMELY raw offensively can make an impact immediately, and also can become quite talented offensively with the right coaching.  Obekpa would be a great signing!
"I drink and I know things"

MCNPA

I'm fine with dunks and putbacks.  That's what we have our staff for to develop his talent.  His defensive timing is uncanny though, and he runs the court real well.  He can be a great equalizer at the defensive end ala Georgiu Dieng.  Teams would have to change plans just because of his shotblocking ability.  Furthermore, he fits our aggressive zones perfectly and allows our other players to gamble a bit more.  I could care less about his raw offensive ability at this point.  Sign him up if we can get him.  It would make us extremely tough entering this season.  He can take time an work on his offense. 

ras

With our staff he would only improve offensively as time goes on.I ,too, would love to have him

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/05/30/chris-obekpa-remains-undecided/

don't know how accurate the report is -  but to hear we are still in it is great news.

Chandler or Obekpa, or both would be amazing and really set this team up for success in the very near future.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
School starts in August, its almost June doesn't he have to make his decision soon??

paultzman

School starts in August, its almost June doesn't he have to make his decision soon??

In a normal world.

When Shelden Williams was a freshman his offensive talent was extremely low his frosh year at Duke.  He traveled nearly every time he got the ball.  I assume he was still more talented than Obekpa, never having seen him play, based on all accounts, since Shelden averaged 8 points his frosh year.  That said, Shelden was a beast rebounder/shot blocker.  By his senior year, he averaged 19 a game and was an offensive force in college...of course until his offensive deficiencies were totally exposed in the NBA.  That said, just using him as an example of how a top defensive player that is EXTREMELY raw offensively can make an impact immediately, and also can become quite talented offensively with the right coaching.  Obekpa would be a great signing!

While I'm sick of you constantly referencing Duke . . .  ;)  . . . Exactly the point.  How many bigs do get to D1 fully developed anyway?  Very few, and even fewer of the ilk that didn't start playing until the age of 14 on the dirt courts of some African country.

desco80

While I'm sick of you constantly referencing Duke . . .  ;)  . . . Exactly the point.  How many bigs do get to D1 fully developed anyway?  Very few, and even fewer of the ilk that didn't start playing until the age of 14 on the dirt courts of some African country.

Very good point.   And, even after they get here and have time to develop, how many bigs in our conference would you say have "good" or above average offensive-games??    (No Sims, Drummond, Melo anymore)   
Pitt has that 7 footer coming in, and Dieng can put back offensive rebounds, but after that what other bigs have an impact on the offensive-end?   
Yarou on nova?   Melvin and Cooley, sure, but they're hardly true bigs.

Chris will be able to change the game on the defensive side of the ball, and won't be asked to do much other than rebound on the opposite end.   

Very good point.   And, even after they get here and have time to develop, how many bigs in our conference would you say have "good" or above average offensive-games??    (No Sims, Drummond, Melo anymore)   
Pitt has that 7 footer coming in, and Dieng can put back offensive rebounds, but after that what other bigs have an impact on the offensive-end?   

Chris will be able to change the game on the defensive side of the ball, and won't be asked to do much other than rebound on the opposite end.   

Cooley not a true big?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

He's white.

desco80

Cooley not a true big?

I guess you're right.  I just always thought of him as undersized, but I looked it up.. he's listed at 6'9.  That counts haha.

My point was just that there are so few big men with good offensive skills.  And it's not just incoming freshmen.   The post up game isn't what it used to be.   If Chris comes here (big IF) and rebounds and plays defense... that'll be a big boost.  I doubt he would be asked to do much more than that.

MCNPA

I don't think Melo had anything that resembled an above average offensive game.  Not in the least.  He was a dunk and putback guy.

Hakeem Olajuwan was very raw offensively when he got to the U of Houston and turned out to be one of the best scoring centers in the history of the NBA. Even before he left college he became a good offensive player. Not saying the same will be true of CO but there is obvious the possibility of significant improvement.

Tiznow

Obekpa seems to enjoy playing in the backyard of St John's.  His game will fit nicely here.  I think he's very high on Lavin's list.  Perhaps he's just having  a hard time choosing another program.  There are too many positives for him here. 

Here is video of one of their is8 playoff games from 2 weeks ago if you would like to watch it:

1 | Brooklyn Badgers Vs Team Flight (OSNA) | 2012 IS8 Nike Playoffs

Felix is #10 and Obekpa is #12

Just watched this one. Felix continues to impress the hell out of me! I counted 31 points on a variety of different ways. Deep, mid range, short range pull ups, post ups, tough finishes, and of course some highlight dunks. If he stays at St Johns for 4 years he will be a great player for us.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

Here is video of one of their is8 playoff games from 2 weeks ago if you would like to watch it:

1 | Brooklyn Badgers Vs Team Flight (OSNA) | 2012 IS8 Nike Playoffs

Felix is #10 and Obekpa is #12

Just watched this one. Felix continues to impress the hell out of me! I counted 31 points on a variety of different ways. Deep, mid range, short range pull ups, post ups, tough finishes, and of course some highlight dunks. If he stays at St Johns for 4 years he will be a great player for us.

Agree.  Balamou can really do it all andis just scratching the surface right now.  Reminds me a lot of Ben Gordon at times, but without the outside shooting consistency right now.  If he can find some range as a 3-point shooter, he can be excellent.  I don't know how a kid like this skates through unranked in lower NY.  As far as Obekpa goes, his timing is ridiculous on the defensive glass both for blocks and rebounds.  If we could find some way to land him, teams would really struggle getting shots off if they penetrated past the outside of our zone.  Fwiw, Jakarr, Sanchez and Amir are all excellent shot blockers as well off the ball.

BTW-Told that the people advising Obekpa are complete clowns and have no clue what they are doing.

paultzman

BTW-Told that the people advising Obekpa are complete clowns and have no clue what they are doing.

An indecisive group I take it! Lol

MCNPA

That seems to be the case as just about everybody is committed already and this kid still seems clueless about what he wants to do.  It makes sense.  All I need to know is whether or not this is good or bad for SJU?  At this point, the longer it takes I'm guessing the better for us, as Lavin builds a relationship with the kid over time.  Maybe by August we'll know what he wants to do.