Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

Moose

Those that have seen Obekpa, what do you think he'll average as a freshman? Where will he excel the most?

I said months ago to look at Dieng's freshman year as a comparison.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51476/gorgui-dieng
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

Rothstein likes to compare him to Theo Ratliff.  Sign me up.  He doesn't need to score.

MCNPA

Rothstein likes to compare him to Theo Ratliff.  Sign me up.  He doesn't need to score.

I usually hate Rothstein's comparos, but that isn't a bad one.

Moose

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/theo-ratliff-1.html

crgreen

“@jeffborzello: Might move them to No. 20 or so. Final rankings Wednesday. RT @Joey_4Fingers: where does Obekpa put the #stjbb 2012 class in the rankings?”

Respect Borzello's evaluations!

Jeff is my boy but 20 is high.

Ya know Dave, that can be taken BOTH ways.   "20 is high" could mean the number should be lower, as in 1-19.   But could also mean the position is too High on a best to worst scale,  and that 21 or more is a more appropriate rank.

Chilleb

Guys, our performance on the court this upcoming season will bring in the gems in 2013 let's not get worked up just yet. After a return to the tourney next season we'll be back in business. New all along he wasnt gonna be leaving his buddy Felix . Let's go johnnies !!

Actually I want the centerpiece of our 13 class wrapped by the early signing period which would be before we played any games.

Here's to hoping that's the case.
C'mon moose only for him to decommit by mid season. These kids have no idea what they want these days and and change there minds daily

Most kids actually sign an LOI.  Its upwards of 80% of the Top 100 or so I've seen each year wrap it up early.  Again this is my hope.  We don't have an abundance of ships.  I hope we can trail our target all summer.  Have him on campus to scrimmage with the boys unofficially.  And finally get ahead of pace like other big time schools who seem to always be a class ahead.
In a perfect world I'm 100% in agreement but the way things have been going Its wishful thinking . Besides has Lawrence even began making visits yet? You would think somehow chandler and wood are still in the fold. So our 13' class may be 50% solidified already.

Pretty sure Chandler wouldn't be a target because this is his prep year.  Wouldn't he have to JUCO or something next year?  I thought only those who qualified out of HS but elected JUCO were eligible to leave JUCO after 1 year.  Agree about Wood.  Remember in 2011 we had 7 of the 9 locked up in November before Lavin even coached a regular season game.
lets not speak to quick next thing you know chandler's ruled eligible next week or something lol. good ol' lavin. but yeah i definately agree with that , but this is a business of trends. whats hot now, whos hot now. the coachng change and imminent tourney appearance created a substantial amount of buzz, enough buzz and momentum to land 7 early ones (although we know how that story ended in a 13 win season) but with the signing of obekpa and maybe even a bolt up the recrutment rankings into the top 20  will create enough momentum maybe to get some more of the upper echelon recruits to really consider us consistently. but this is where i was eluding that on court performance will be the catalyst for that wishful thinking to become fact. we've definately gained some recrutiment momentum with chris but lets play a game first and give these guys a visual.

I and every other person on here including the site owner all felt a lot more positive about one guy and negative about the other.  How times have changed they have flip flopped.  Chandler could be eligible next week for all we know and we have the room to bring him in but my faith in that has withered over the past however many months.

All I'm saying is remember after the early signing period how there weren't many big name guys.  Only ones were actually the ones that reneged from us really ha.  I haven't heard any timing from Jermaine.  But I'd like to think and hope he is among the 80% plus who want to get it out of the way.
So aside from Lawrence who do you have your eye on ? Personally I think we need to bring in a pg next year as well

Chilleb you think after Jermaine we need to look for a pg?   It was starting to sound like Jordan and Sina werent listing us anymore, but who knows.
Based soley on what's reported, I was getting the impression the staff was doubling down on post players and were hard after the two kids from Louisiana.. Martin and Jones or Mike Young from NJ.   But who knows. 
Maybe they take a best player available approach ... Regardless of position.
Personally I feel a pg would adequate. Phil is cool but not a true pg. so our depth in that department is scarce after branch. Just feel like another true pg is what the doctor ordered at this point. Our front court is super deep.

Moose

Guys, our performance on the court this upcoming season will bring in the gems in 2013 let's not get worked up just yet. After a return to the tourney next season we'll be back in business. New all along he wasnt gonna be leaving his buddy Felix . Let's go johnnies !!

Actually I want the centerpiece of our 13 class wrapped by the early signing period which would be before we played any games.

Here's to hoping that's the case.
C'mon moose only for him to decommit by mid season. These kids have no idea what they want these days and and change there minds daily

Most kids actually sign an LOI.  Its upwards of 80% of the Top 100 or so I've seen each year wrap it up early.  Again this is my hope.  We don't have an abundance of ships.  I hope we can trail our target all summer.  Have him on campus to scrimmage with the boys unofficially.  And finally get ahead of pace like other big time schools who seem to always be a class ahead.
In a perfect world I'm 100% in agreement but the way things have been going Its wishful thinking . Besides has Lawrence even began making visits yet? You would think somehow chandler and wood are still in the fold. So our 13' class may be 50% solidified already.

Pretty sure Chandler wouldn't be a target because this is his prep year.  Wouldn't he have to JUCO or something next year?  I thought only those who qualified out of HS but elected JUCO were eligible to leave JUCO after 1 year.  Agree about Wood.  Remember in 2011 we had 7 of the 9 locked up in November before Lavin even coached a regular season game.
lets not speak to quick next thing you know chandler's ruled eligible next week or something lol. good ol' lavin. but yeah i definately agree with that , but this is a business of trends. whats hot now, whos hot now. the coachng change and imminent tourney appearance created a substantial amount of buzz, enough buzz and momentum to land 7 early ones (although we know how that story ended in a 13 win season) but with the signing of obekpa and maybe even a bolt up the recrutment rankings into the top 20  will create enough momentum maybe to get some more of the upper echelon recruits to really consider us consistently. but this is where i was eluding that on court performance will be the catalyst for that wishful thinking to become fact. we've definately gained some recrutiment momentum with chris but lets play a game first and give these guys a visual.

I and every other person on here including the site owner all felt a lot more positive about one guy and negative about the other.  How times have changed they have flip flopped.  Chandler could be eligible next week for all we know and we have the room to bring him in but my faith in that has withered over the past however many months.

All I'm saying is remember after the early signing period how there weren't many big name guys.  Only ones were actually the ones that reneged from us really ha.  I haven't heard any timing from Jermaine.  But I'd like to think and hope he is among the 80% plus who want to get it out of the way.
So aside from Lawrence who do you have your eye on ? Personally I think we need to bring in a pg next year as well

If we went for another body in 13 in addition to Lawrence I would rather see another big man up front.  Someone who is more stationary down low as we see Jermaine is starting to show perimeter tendencies. 

I think Darrick is another combo in the Phil light that can work out good.  I'd rather go for the PG in 14 to be the freshman to Branch's Sr. year.

paultzman

Like that Wood / Green comparison.

derk

from BearcatMick:

Horrible decision. Lavin is as crooked as they come. Oh well, he probably wasn't good enough for uc anyways with the talent we have

Enjoy playing on a sub .500 team next year Chris! Hopefully lavin paid for your cable so you can watch us in the final four

^^  sore head!!

It's one thing to be pissed off. It's another to be stupid. What a dick.

Very important that we have another big.  Now let's get him eating some pasta and in the weight room.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

derk

“@SammyAlbano: Opeka can't sign LOI but is signing an institutional letter & on campus as we tweet! Very talente Johnny frosh class!”

what is the difference between LOI and institutional letter??  Thanks in advance

He signs scholarship papers guaranteeing him a schollie at SJU.  But technically he is not bound to SJU as he would be with an NLI, thus if he wanted to change his mind and go elsewhere he could without needing permission from SJU for a release.  He's a Johnny either way.

Sorry but why a letter instead of an LOI. Got to be a date beyond which he cannot change his mind - no ?

“@SammyAlbano: Opeka can't sign LOI but is signing an institutional letter & on campus as we tweet! Very talente Johnny frosh class!”

what is the difference between LOI and institutional letter??  Thanks in advance

He signs scholarship papers guaranteeing him a schollie at SJU.  But technically he is not bound to SJU as he would be with an NLI, thus if he wanted to change his mind and go elsewhere he could without needing permission from SJU for a release.  He's a Johnny either way.

Sorry but why a letter instead of an LOI. Got to be a date beyond which he cannot change his mind - no ?

It's after the LOI signing period which ends in May.  I think he can change his mind all the way up until he enrolls in the fall.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:25:04 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

derk

So do we continue to persue Chandler or leave well enough alone.

Those that have seen Obekpa, what do you think he'll average as a freshman? Where will he excel the most?

As a freshman? My guess is an average of 6 points and 3 blocks per game but the number of shots that he discourages or re-directs will be incalculable.

Great addition and terrific class.

Good job by Dave who was not afraid to call it last week.  Also Rothstein nailed it.  As far as I know he was the first one to publically hint that Obekpa to Cincy was no longer a lock and that SJU was back in it.

Marillac

Way to call it Dave.  Huge recruit for us.   Our first shotblocker at SJU since before I can remember. 

Don't forget about Orlando Sanchez.

Great addition.  This kid learning on the bench while Sanchez, Garrett, and Sampson carry the load early will be an excellent way to get him ready.  This is how programs are built.  Wow...ANOTHER top 100 RSCI recruit for Lavin. 

MCNPA

Way to call it Dave.  Huge recruit for us.   Our first shotblocker at SJU since before I can remember. 

Great addition.  This kid learning on the bench while Sanchez, Garrett, and Sampson carry the load early will be an excellent way to get him ready.  This is how programs are built.  Wow...ANOTHER top 100 RSCI recruit for Lavin.

RSCI top 70... ;)

Three cheers for Dave and Rothstein both of whom were right on target reportedly using different sources.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:23:57 PM by kjd01067 »

Dave - kindly delete some of my repetiitious citations above. Thanks.

Will sleep easy tonight -- FINALLY -- knowing that Obekpa defending the hoop.