Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies
Re: Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American School - Centereach, NY
« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »
With Lavin Watching, Chris Obekpa Blocks 20 Shots

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/01/12/with-lavin-watching-chris-obekpa-blocks-20-shots/

Obekpa notched 11 points, 15 rebounds and 20 blocks as unbeaten Our Savior (11-0) beat National Christian (Md.), 87-56, at Our Savior.

« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2012, 10:37:08 PM »
damn a triple double. 20 blocks is just nasty

boo3

« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2012, 10:42:26 PM »
 20 blocks!  Wow. Lock this kid up coach!

« Reply #223 on: January 12, 2012, 10:43:50 PM »
Quote on redmen.com from the assistant coach on Obekpa's squad that Lavs is personally working him.  And checking in on Ballamou (sp?).  Seems like Uconn and their success with big men is going to be our main comp here, but who knows.

Moose

« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2012, 11:41:58 PM »
Quote on redmen.com from the assistant coach on Obekpa's squad that Lavs is personally working him.  And checking in on Ballamou (sp?).  Seems like Uconn and their success with big men is going to be our main comp here, but who knows.

Cincy and Providence fans think they are in it too.  Sounds like hes gonna be BE regardless.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #225 on: January 12, 2012, 11:45:33 PM »
Uconn has led the nation in blocked shots for something like 7 yrs in a row so if this kid is that good of a shot blocker you can rest assured Calhoun will want to sign this kid very badly. Hope we get him-been dying for a shot blocker deluxe for the almost 40 yrs I have been following the Johnnies.

« Reply #226 on: January 13, 2012, 02:13:54 AM »
Eric Jaklitsch his coach is a real good guy. Guy lives in the gym with his players. He was sick as a dog at the end of July but he was there till the very last game watching Obekpa on New Heights nearly 4 hours away from his home. Needs to be more guys like that in the game.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #227 on: January 13, 2012, 04:52:57 AM »
We need Obekpa.  He should be our priority because his shotblocking skills are a game changer, especially with our gambling style of defense.  We can trap all we want but guys beating our zone if we reach for a steal will have to contend with this guy waiting to wipe shots off the glass.  He is great getting up and down the court as well.  We don't need big plodder's here.  We need guys like this for their defensive ability.  He'd block a ton of shots in college as well because his timing is amazing and he has long arms.

I'm not keen on taking Balamou as a scholarship player, but that is for Lavin to decide.  No problem with having him use a scholarship this season and only renew on a yearly basis, because we might not use all ships this season otherwise. 

Uconn has several centers and always has about 6 bigs in the roster.  Even Oriakhi doesn't play now.  Obekpa would make a big mistake going to Uconn.   Calhoun won't be there for long either.  At SJU, there is zero competition for Obekpa for at least a year or two except for Gift who will be a senior.  Can't beat that scenario.  No brainer.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 04:55:23 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #228 on: January 13, 2012, 01:59:02 PM »
I know Cincy and Prov are involved too, but I perceive Uconn as, by far, the biggest threat given their success in developing big men. 

« Reply #229 on: January 13, 2012, 02:23:22 PM »
Hopefully having gift here will help aid his recruitment. We really do need a shot blocker with the team we have put together and the way were built to play.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #230 on: January 13, 2012, 11:54:38 PM »
Felix is just an athletic freak. He's more of a mid major guy with high major athleticism.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #231 on: January 13, 2012, 11:58:53 PM »
Felix is just an athletic freak. He's more of a mid major guy with high major athleticism.

Saw the St. Rays game on You Tube.  Reminds me of an Alpha Bangura with a better handle and vision.  Aka mid major ;)

« Reply #232 on: January 14, 2012, 02:21:14 PM »
G'town under the prior John Thompson mad a living with great athletes who weren't necessarily skilled hoopsters. Of course he had his share of very talented players also. Point being we will probably have a lot of skilled players so a freak athlete wouldn't be the worst thing. How big is he and what position does he play?

Tiznow

« Reply #233 on: January 16, 2012, 01:36:18 PM »
I know Cincy and Prov are involved too, but I perceive Uconn as, by far, the biggest threat given their success in developing big men.

Looking like they can't count Thabeet on their list of successes.  Number two overall has played in just two games in his third season with his numbers declining each year.  And you cant say he left a year early.

Marillac

« Reply #234 on: January 16, 2012, 02:23:12 PM »

Saw the St. Rays game on You Tube.  Reminds me of an Alpha Bangura with a better handle and vision.  Aka mid major ;)

Long, athletic..the kind of kid that can really grow in a system over four years, right?  Not every kid has to be a star.  There is also the possibility of redshirting and it's great to have a freak athlete around to give the starters good looks in practice. 

Moose

« Reply #235 on: January 16, 2012, 02:47:45 PM »

Long, athletic..the kind of kid that can really grow in a system over four years, right?  Not every kid has to be a star.  There is also the possibility of redshirting and it's great to have a freak athlete around to give the starters good looks in practice. 

I agree.  I was impressed with how he handled the ball and his vision.  No question we can't have all 4 and 5 star players.  If I had to take Felix to get Obekpa I do it in a heartbeat.

Always liked Bangura.  He just had nobody to coach him.

« Reply #236 on: January 16, 2012, 02:58:26 PM »

I agree.  I was impressed with how he handled the ball and his vision.  No question we can't have all 4 and 5 star players.  If I had to take Felix to get Obekpa I do it in a heartbeat.

Always liked Bangura.  He just had nobody to coach him.

Bangura couldn't shoot.   He had a highly inflated sense of his own worth/abilities and when jarvii didn't start him or give him more pt he quit.

Poison

« Reply #237 on: January 16, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »
Bangura was awful. Thought he was Michael f'n Jordan. Can't blame that one on Jarvis. He shot 7% from three.

Moose

« Reply #238 on: January 16, 2012, 03:18:18 PM »
If we as fans are going to wax poetic about former players who go to lesser conferences and blow up (ala) Cedric and Tyshawn among others the shoe must fit the other foot as well.  Bangura was player of the year in whatever conference he played in and pretty sure he got some run in the NBDL.  If Jarvis had 'coaches' on his staff as opposed to family members maybe Bangura could have been something.

I'd encourage those to watch videos of Felix.  These are actual games posted on You Tube not just highlight packages.

« Reply #239 on: January 16, 2012, 04:11:04 PM »
Not every kid is going to be a star right away. Every team needs glue guys who will stick around for 4 years and develop into real solid players over time.

I agree with Moose. If getting him gets us Obekpa and Obekpa can anchor center for us and give us that inside defensive presence we need I'm all for it.