Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

derk

Re: Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American School - Centereach, NY
« Reply #280 on: January 24, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »
You know, it's great that he can do this and that, but what good is it if St. John's does sign any of these recruits?

The problem right now is that we're short 3 or 4 players and we're not signing anybody (or) it doesn't appear that we lead for any top recruits for our 2012 class/next years recruiting class.

We lost Pele, Gathers, Sampson, Linsey, Woods etc. and replaced them so far with a traansfer from Texas A & M.  True or not true?

You know I hate to say this, "but talk gets cheap after awhile".  We OBVIOUSLY need to start signing some players and Steve Lavin needs to get healthy and back on the sideline again ASAP where he's more visible to recruits.

We're looking another long brutal season on the BB-court of finishing with a below .500 team record overall.  Not good guys...

Not worried about our recruiting class. We will get our share of the guys we're involved with. Plus in the spring you always have quality guys who shake loose, whose availability you could not have predicted.

I'm more concerned about this years team getting a bit discouraged.

jr49

« Reply #281 on: January 24, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »
Me too Derk. I hope no reason for concern. That has been a reason I unlike some on board feel wins real important regardless of how low expectations are or should be. No program thats any good accepts losing as a way of life.

gman

« Reply #282 on: January 24, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
ESPN released their new 2012 rankings. Obekpa with the huge 40 spot jump to #49.  In other STJ recruiting news, Gathers appears at #34 and Winston Shepard at #52.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports//basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2012

That 50 range is right in our sweet spot. 

« Reply #283 on: January 27, 2012, 07:02:49 PM »
"He also plans to visit St. John’s again, although that could be an unofficial"

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/01/27/obekpa-visits-depaul-has-four-remaining/#more-66123

Think we get an official visit?

SJU79

« Reply #284 on: January 27, 2012, 10:22:03 PM »
He aint going to Depaul and if anybody says they know where hes headed their lying

mkras99

« Reply #285 on: January 27, 2012, 10:47:32 PM »
He aint going to Depaul and if anybody says they know where hes headed their lying

Been a while since you posted '79.  What kind of class do you think Coach Lavin is going to reel in for 2012?  Any predictions?

« Reply #286 on: January 27, 2012, 10:52:26 PM »

It seems like his list gets longer every week, i'm thinking this thing drags out

« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2012, 07:23:34 PM »
You know, it's great that all of these SJU prospective recruits can do this and that, but what good is it if St. John's doesn't sign any of these same recruits?

The problem right now is that we're short 3 or 4 players and we're not signing anybody (or) it doesn't appear that we lead for any top recruits for our 2012 class/next years recruiting class.

We lost Pele, Gathers, Sampson, Linsey, Woods etc. and replaced them so far with a transfer from Texas A & M.  True or not true?

You know I hate to say this, "but talk gets cheap after awhile".  We OBVIOUSLY need to start signing some players and Steve Lavin needs to get healthy and back on the sideline again ASAP where he's more visible to recruits.

We're looking at another long brutal season on the BB-court finishing with a below .500 team record overall.  Not good guys...

SJU79

« Reply #288 on: January 30, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »
 Been a while since you posted '79.  What kind of class do you think Coach Lavin is going to reel in for 2012?  Any predictions?

- Tough to get a handle. Stating the obvious but Lav's situation isn't helping. I know Gathers really WANTS to come.  He's right there with Jakarr and Chris is a wild card.  He is also reaching out to a few others and trying to  get in late with some players not previously mentioned. I know none of this really helps but if I find out anything more concrete or new developments Ill keep posting what I know. Lastly dont worry about MO going to the Association, hes coming back.

MCNPA

« Reply #289 on: January 30, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »

- Tough to get a handle. Stating the obvious but Lav's situation isn't helping. I know Gathers really WANTS to come.  He's right there with Jakarr and Chris is a wild card.  He is also reaching out to a few others and trying to  get in late with some players not previously mentioned. I know none of this really helps but if I find out anything more concrete or new developments Ill keep posting what I know. Lastly dont worry about MO going to the Association, hes coming back.

Any idea what's holding Jakarr up from re-committing? 

« Reply #290 on: January 30, 2012, 10:14:56 AM »

What would be your guess?

MCNPA

« Reply #291 on: January 30, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »

[/quote

My guess would be the Brewster coach or Lavin's health.  The problem is that IMO if Lavin hasn't proven to Gathers and Jakarr by now, then he better get back on the court soon because it isn't going to happen. 

« Reply #292 on: January 30, 2012, 11:11:41 AM »

[/quote

My guess would be the Brewster coach or Lavin's health.  The problem is that IMO if Lavin hasn't proven to Gathers and Jakarr by now, then he better get back on the court soon because it isn't going to happen.
I hope it's about Coach.  He's dispelled the idea/rumor/speculation by some that he won't be back at all, just a matter of recruits believing he'll be front and center next season.  We believe he will be on the floor, but the late appearance I hoped for this season (with even a restrained version of coach on the floor - lol - easier said than done) would clear any doubts up.

I've worried (N.B. - w/ admitted blind speculation) that J Smith will try to steer JS towards the JHawks, being that T Robinson will be a lottery pick.  I still think a better fit is with his guys here, and see this to fruition 2-3 years from now, but at least we know if JaKarr comes here, he's going to be totally committed to getting it done.  We all can smell this huge opportunity to immediately elevate with JaKarr, Rico + hopefully 1 other to complement Jamal, so I patiently await good news.  But nothing's guaranteed in life, so I'm going to be feeling great if the guys come our way to continue the upswing.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:12:13 AM by bball purist »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #293 on: January 30, 2012, 02:22:10 PM »
We need this kid. It couldn't have been more apparent on saturday that we need a big man who rebounds and protects the paint, and Obekpa is the best of both worlds. The amount of 2nd chances Duke got by grabbing offensive rebounds against our undersized team killed us, and if we had a kid like Obekpa it would have been a totally different game.

« Reply #294 on: January 30, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »

[/quote

I hope it's about Coach.  He's dispelled the idea/rumor/speculation by some that he won't be back at all, just a matter of recruits believing he'll be front and center next season.  We believe he will be on the floor, but the late appearance I hoped for this season (with even a restrained version of coach on the floor - lol - easier said than done) would clear any doubts up.

I've worried (N.B. - w/ admitted blind speculation) that J Smith will try to steer JS towards the JHawks, being that T Robinson will be a lottery pick.  I still think a better fit is with his guys here, and see this to fruition 2-3 years from now, but at least we know if JaKarr comes here, he's going to be totally committed to getting it done.  We all can smell this huge opportunity to immediately elevate with JaKarr, Rico + hopefully 1 other to complement Jamal, so I patiently await good news.  But nothing's guaranteed in life, so I'm going to be feeling great if the guys come our way to continue the upswing.
While coach's health remains the #1 priority agree it is at least of symbolic importance that he return to the bench before the end of the season for giving the recruits confidence he will be on the bench next year. I say this only if it does not jeopardize his health and one way he can do this is by taking a page out of his old mentor John Wooden's book by just sitting on the bench with a rolled up program and just letting the game play out. I know this is easier said than done but he has been doing all other duties with discipline and when something really needs to be done you sometimes just have to do it. Maybe take a sedative or something. 

MCNPA

« Reply #295 on: February 01, 2012, 11:26:55 PM »
Slightly OT but related, Nerlens Noel reclassified to the 2012 class today.  Obekpa has trams like Uconn, providence and others pursuing.  Wondering if it could at least marginally help us with Obekpa.  Really need to land this kid.  He's the next best shot blocker to Noel. 

Moose

« Reply #296 on: February 01, 2012, 11:28:54 PM »
Slightly OT but related, Nerlens Noel reclassified to the 2012 class today.  Obekpa has trams like Uconn, providence and others pursuing.  Wondering if it could at least marginally help us with Obekpa.  Really need to land this kid.  He's the next best shot blocker to Noel. 

Noel I think is between Cuse and Kentucky.  Might help us keeping Gathers away from Kentucky if anything.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #297 on: February 01, 2012, 11:30:18 PM »

Noel I think is between Cuse and Kentucky.  Might help us keeping Gathers away from Kentucky if anything.

Bennett can help us too with UK. 

desco80

« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
Besides visiting depaul we haven't heard much about Chris's favorites or him trimming down his list.   Assuming UK never offers, does it look like SJU and UCONN lead for him?   

That zags article says he has some other very high offers: Texas, UCLA, Florida .... But we haven't heard much about other teams pursuing him hard besides us uconn and providence.   Unless Im missing something
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:28:55 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #299 on: February 06, 2012, 09:57:28 PM »
with Gathers gone, i think i'd rather have Obekpa than sampson.  We need his shot blocking and rebounding ability.  Obekpa, plus a juco fwd, and maybe a sharp shooter, plus branch  is not a bad class to add to what we have now. 

we'll get our next harkless in the 2013 class.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:57:57 PM by redmen4life »