Anyone having trouble reaching Redmen.com?

• 79 replies

crgreen

Anyone having trouble reaching Redmen.com?
« on: April 11, 2011, 03:05:15 PM »
My browsers are reporting the site address is no longer valid.

kjd01067

Re: Anyone having trouble reaching Redmen.com?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:16:45 PM »
My browsers are reporting the site address is no longer valid.

Yea I haven't been able to get on the last few days either. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:25:59 PM »
Probably just a server error. It happens to forums/ servers. Are they still down? Haven't checked.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 04:02:30 PM »
I'm sure they are probably switching servers and/or upgrading the site. I'll ask Moose.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

jayro

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:04:59 PM »
Still down as of 4 PM today.  At least I can't get there -no matter which way I try.  Hope it fixes soon-thank goodness Johnny Jungle is still afloat-would have gone crazy trying to get up to the minute SJU B-Ball info.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 04:57:27 PM »
Probably just a server error. It happens to forums/ servers. Are they still down? Haven't checked.

It's not just the forum.  The home page and everything else is down too.

kob24

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:02:43 PM »
hey when i wrote about kemba yall said that isnt johnny jungle news well this isnt jungle news either. MR DAVE make this go poof

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 09:07:29 PM »
hey when i wrote about kemba yall said that isnt johnny jungle news well this isnt jungle news either. MR DAVE make this go poof

well technically this involves St. John's

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 10:05:45 PM »
Unable to reach from 7:45AM PDT to 7:00PM PDT

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 10:43:23 PM »
I got this email from Paul regarding redmen.com:

Hi Guys,
My data center has totally screwed up my entire network.  Somehow in fixing a routine hardware problem data has been completely wiped off of multiple server drives.  This is pretty much impossible short of catastrophic events (like a fire in the data center completely destroying server(s)) or catastrophic incompetence where someone did something unbelievably stupid.  The problem is that we've ruled out the former but don't know what unbelievably stupid thing happened in order to fix it.

Unfortunately after several years of a great relationship with my data center who WERE the second largest independent still operational in the world (all the others have been bought out by big multinational corporations) they were acquired by a multinational.  The independence translated to great service and skilled people.  As I should have anticipated, things got bad but I don't think anyone could have anticipated this and to get so bad so fast.  This is a company that runs data centers all over the US and in various parts of the world.

EVERYTHING on my network has been down for going on two days now.  This includes my regular email accounts so you and others would not be able to reach me via my regular email.  I have a bunch of guys working on this but it has just gone from bad to worse and I still have zero idea of when things will get back online.

I did not have everyone's email address handy so if you could just pass this on to anyone concerned and know that I am and have been working on this.

You can email me at:

pmassell@sonic.net

This address is completely independent of my other provider.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Paul

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 08:43:06 AM »
This is starting to feel like the end of "The Godfather" when Michael Corleone took care of all the family buisness. First BEB developes problems resulting in their most famous poster WE ARE SJU to give up trying to log on and retire from the site. That loss basically crippled BEB to point where it is now a sad shell of what it used to be. Now Redmen seems to be down for the count leaving the Jungle as the last SJU site standing. This seems fishy! Is Dave going to move the site to Las Vegas and start calling it Running Rebel Jungle? More importantly should we start calling him Don Dave?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:44:17 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »
Hope you don't mind me posting this here Dave, but your busy in Pittsburgh anyway. ; )

Anyone receive any further word from Paul?   Also does anyone know where the Redmen.com Facebook group went?

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 03:47:15 PM »
Hope you don't mind me posting this here Dave, but your busy in Pittsburgh anyway. ; )

Anyone receive any further word from Paul?   Also does anyone know where the Redmen.com Facebook group went?

I got another update from Paul on Wed, 4/13:

Hello Again,

I won't detail all of the events of the past few days but it has been nightmarish. (the worst part dealing with all the plastic, corporate CYA B.S.)  But I wanted to update you and I want you to know that I appreciate all of the encouragement and well-wishing, prayers sent and offers of assistance that I've received the past couple of days.  I have not responded directly because of time constraints and focus.

Here is the status as of this morning Wed 4-13

On the positive side, I've managed to get all the services restored in another data center and DNS is (as far as I can tell) fully propagated. 

Anything positive from the past couple of days is purely on the good deeds of some friends and surprising business associates that stepped up unexpectedly.  A friend of mine who works for Dell in Texas went WAY above and beyond in helping to secure the equipment from the (former) data center.  He voluntarily took charge and without any hemming or hawing including when Softlayer dragged him into their nonsense sending him on a wild goose chase and not letting him access the equipment directly.  They insisted that I had to PURCHASE it from them and at best they would then ship it out to me (when? who knows).  Having him onsite at least we were able to get one of their VPs on the phone and he approved handing off the equipment physically and he was able to find the last Fedex drop time (right near the airport) to get the data drives overnighted to me.  Not a single complaint or bad word for the situation from him.  Just a make it happen attitude which is exactly what you need and the type of person that you need in such a situation.

On Monday when it became clear that SoftLayer (our former data center provider) had zero interest in resolving the situation and was 100% focused on their own CYA, I contacted a local company that I receive other services from: Sonic.net  Unfortunately normal channels were not prepared to offer me the type of instant solution necessary.  I shot off an email to my account rep who I had no expectation to hear from until the following day since it was already after hours.  Surprisingly I got a quick response.  He then proceeded to get me on the phone and conference in their overnight Data Center shift leader and the two of them made sure that I had equipment online and live to the internet complete with a block of IP addresses.  Literally within 15-30 minutes.  This enabled me to work overnight with my admin team to get all of the DNS, key domains, email and services restored.

On the other side of things, Softlayer is still holding me hostage.   The CYA dance ensured that there was no other option for me short of a legal one.  And no offense to my attorney friends reading this, but once you get the attorneys involved things leave any "let's solve this" scenario and certainly not a "lets solve this in a timely fashion." Yesterday the drives got sent to me and the next step is attempting data recovery.  I am hoping that they actually gave me the real drives and didn't further compound things by either sending me random blank drives as part of their ongoing CYA, or do anything further to wipe the drives in an attempt to cover their tracks and not present me any evidence of their blunder.

I am now waiting for Fedex. The tracking says it is on the truck for delivery.  I should know pretty quick if A) they sent me either completely blank or drives that they intentionally wiped B) any quick data recovery is possible.  "B" would allow us to get back online very quickly.  I won't touch "A" right now.  The third scenario would mean a more extensive data recovery that could take days to weeks and no guarantees that it is any better than A.  In some ways worse since it would require more expense and time wasted and the ongoing uncertainty.

Sot that's it for now.

Paul Massell

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 04:07:08 PM »

I got another update from Paul on Wed, 4/13:

Hello Again,

I won't detail all of the events of the past few days but it has been nightmarish. (the worst part dealing with all the plastic, corporate CYA B.S.)  But I wanted to update you and I want you to know that I appreciate all of the encouragement and well-wishing, prayers sent and offers of assistance that I've received the past couple of days.  I have not responded directly because of time constraints and focus.

Here is the status as of this morning Wed 4-13

On the positive side, I've managed to get all the services restored in another data center and DNS is (as far as I can tell) fully propagated. 

Anything positive from the past couple of days is purely on the good deeds of some friends and surprising business associates that stepped up unexpectedly.  A friend of mine who works for Dell in Texas went WAY above and beyond in helping to secure the equipment from the (former) data center.  He voluntarily took charge and without any hemming or hawing including when Softlayer dragged him into their nonsense sending him on a wild goose chase and not letting him access the equipment directly.  They insisted that I had to PURCHASE it from them and at best they would then ship it out to me (when? who knows).  Having him onsite at least we were able to get one of their VPs on the phone and he approved handing off the equipment physically and he was able to find the last Fedex drop time (right near the airport) to get the data drives overnighted to me.  Not a single complaint or bad word for the situation from him.  Just a make it happen attitude which is exactly what you need and the type of person that you need in such a situation.

On Monday when it became clear that SoftLayer (our former data center provider) had zero interest in resolving the situation and was 100% focused on their own CYA, I contacted a local company that I receive other services from: Sonic.net  Unfortunately normal channels were not prepared to offer me the type of instant solution necessary.  I shot off an email to my account rep who I had no expectation to hear from until the following day since it was already after hours.  Surprisingly I got a quick response.  He then proceeded to get me on the phone and conference in their overnight Data Center shift leader and the two of them made sure that I had equipment online and live to the internet complete with a block of IP addresses.  Literally within 15-30 minutes.  This enabled me to work overnight with my admin team to get all of the DNS, key domains, email and services restored.

On the other side of things, Softlayer is still holding me hostage.   The CYA dance ensured that there was no other option for me short of a legal one.  And no offense to my attorney friends reading this, but once you get the attorneys involved things leave any "let's solve this" scenario and certainly not a "lets solve this in a timely fashion." Yesterday the drives got sent to me and the next step is attempting data recovery.  I am hoping that they actually gave me the real drives and didn't further compound things by either sending me random blank drives as part of their ongoing CYA, or do anything further to wipe the drives in an attempt to cover their tracks and not present me any evidence of their blunder.

I am now waiting for Fedex. The tracking says it is on the truck for delivery.  I should know pretty quick if A) they sent me either completely blank or drives that they intentionally wiped B) any quick data recovery is possible.  "B" would allow us to get back online very quickly.  I won't touch "A" right now.  The third scenario would mean a more extensive data recovery that could take days to weeks and no guarantees that it is any better than A.  In some ways worse since it would require more expense and time wasted and the ongoing uncertainty.

Sot that's it for now.

Paul Massell

All joking aside, that does not sound encouraging at all.

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 01:07:54 AM »
I feel bad. I know I'd be devastated if this happened to me.

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »
Any word as to when it will be operational?

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 08:15:38 PM »
 >:( My link to redmen.com now brings up a site nemed "Great Domain" Anyone know what's up ?

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »
No word. I reached out to the site owner but no response.

The page you see now is likely because they've dropped their hosting plan so now they just own the domain name. Don't be fooled by the auction its for another site.

Dan

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 10:13:32 PM »
Looks like he's going to switch his hosting provider.

gman

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 10:58:50 PM »
I haven't heard anything.  I don't know if any other mods from redmen have heard from Paul.  I tried posting on his facebook and didn't get a response.