Stith

• 60 replies

Marillac

Re: Stith
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2011, 01:32:28 PM »

If this is the case, I can see Stith getting 15-20 mins a game. At least until Lindsey and/or Greene play that much better than him in games. I don't know why most of you don't see that.

I just don't see him playing that many minutes.  Lavin is building his team on length and athleticism and Stith lacks in both those categories.  I see more like 10 mins a game for Stith

Say what you want about Stith, but he certainly does not lack in athleticism.  The kid is a helluva athlete.  And he competes.  Let him play one game as an upperclassman before y'all throw dirt on him. 

kjd01067

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2011, 02:12:36 PM »

If this is the case, I can see Stith getting 15-20 mins a game. At least until Lindsey and/or Greene play that much better than him in games. I don't know why most of you don't see that.

I just don't see him playing that many minutes.  Lavin is building his team on length and athleticism and Stith lacks in both those categories.  I see more like 10 mins a game for Stith

Say what you want about Stith, but he certainly does not lack in athleticism.  The kid is a helluva athlete.  And he competes.  Let him play one game as an upperclassman before y'all throw dirt on him. 

I agree Stith is an athletic kid but I said "Lavin is building his team on length and athleticism" one thing Stith lacks is length.  He has a loose handle and when he actually gets to the basket he has trouble finish because his lack of size.  I am not shitting on Stith all I am saying is that talent wise I think the recruits coming in next season are superior to him.  If Stith wants to be here I accept that and will always root for him.  Do I think it is a wise decision on his part to stay? No.

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2011, 02:26:10 PM »
Until Thomas arrives you almost have to have a 6 footer for certain matchups.  So far Pointer's been the only guy highlighted on "D" but I'd doubt if he can handle smaller BE PGs.  That doesn't mean Stith isn't expendable but I think he can be useful.

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2011, 03:26:13 PM »

Unless there is some sort of miraculous David Cain type transformation, Stith's value will be during practice and in case the new guys struggle. There are 10th, 1tth and 12th guys on scholarship who do not play. It will be good to have him on the team but not necessarily playing a big role.

Moose

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2011, 03:38:27 PM »

Unless there is some sort of miraculous David Cain type transformation, Stith's value will be during practice and in case the new guys struggle. There are 10th, 1tth and 12th guys on scholarship who do not play. It will be good to have him on the team but not necessarily playing a big role.

I agree about the 11th, 12th and 13th guys on schollie.  Begs the question overall how we look the next few years and what new guys don't see many minutes.  There will be someone who isn't happy.  It's inevitable.  Especially when you start adding in the 2012 kids and so on.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »

I agree about the 11th, 12th and 13th guys on schollie.  Begs the question overall how we look the next few years and what new guys don't see many minutes.  There will be someone who isn't happy.  It's inevitable.  Especially when you start adding in the 2012 kids and so on.

I don't mean to pick on Stith but I will use him as an example. A guy with his talent would normally be recruited as a 12th man. We are all curious on how  the playing time will be distributed to the incoming kids. I don't think the coaching staff is worrying too much if Stith is going to be happy or not though.

kjd01067

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2011, 04:26:14 PM »

I don't mean to pick on Stith but I will use him as an example. A guy with his talent would normally be recruited as a 12th man. We are all curious on how  the playing time will be distributed to the incoming kids. I don't think the coaching staff is worrying too much if Stith is going to be happy or not though.

Great point We Are SJU.  With so many players looking for playing time next year and Lavin needing to keep guys happy, who do you think he is going to favor the guys he recruited or the guys Norm recruited?

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
The 11,12 and 13th man thing is very likely going to be a redundancy thing at a position ot two.  Stith has the advantage of being our only short guy. Might help especially early in the season when those midmajor kids get hot.

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2011, 08:55:27 PM »
The 11,12 and 13th man thing is very likely going to be a redundancy thing at a position ot two.  Stith has the advantage of being our only short guy. Might help especially early in the season when those midmajor kids get hot.

There is no advantage to being the "only short guy," unless that particular player has a solid skill set or does something well.  Those mid-major kids will stay hot, if we're gonna rely on Stith to put out the fire.  I'm gonna have to see Stith show some form of skills and consistency to believe in him.

I want Stith to succeed like the next Johnnies fan, but he hasn't shown me much to have faith in him.  Hopefully, he proves the doubters wrong.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:12:48 PM by mjdinkins »

JC

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2011, 09:01:20 PM »
I think Stith showed a few flashes this year.  I think he will get some chances in some early Alumni Hall games to show he should get 8-10 minutes a game.  Especially if guys like Nuri and Greene show themselves to be more combo guards.   

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2011, 08:39:06 AM »
Stith should be able to spell players....he can be good in small doses. More development and 2 years in the league should help him.

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2011, 12:17:22 PM »
I think Stith showed a few flashes this year.  I think he will get some chances in some early Alumni Hall games to show he should get 8-10 minutes a game.  Especially if guys like Nuri and Greene show themselves to be more combo guards.

I recall us getting picked on by some quick kids in the early season all through Norm's tenure and that's when we had Geno and Boothe.   6'3" combo guys tend to get tired of chasing kids like that (actually Boothe did too) so Stith could come in handy.  He did stay with his men better than Boothe did last season. His offense needs work though.

LJSA

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2011, 03:22:35 PM »
I think the staff would love for Stith to leave right now so they can pick up a serviceable 6'9" guy with that scholarship in addition to Achiuwa, but Stith is being a lot more stubborn than the average rising junior who'll be buried on the bench.

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »
I think the staff is thrilled that Stith is willing to stick it out and fight for playing time. He will be a key team memember during the summer workouts. He is a true team player. He should be praised and applauded.

Poison

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2011, 04:07:43 PM »
You need a player that understands how hard you need to work.
A guy that can set an example in practice.

Stith might not be a difference maker on the court on a consistent basis,
but having him zero returning guards, and zero upper classmen is truly unchartered territory.

Maybe with more shooters, and more talented finishers Stith will be more comfortable running the offense. 

kjd01067

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »

but having him zero returning guards, and zero upper classmen is truly unchartered territory.

Maybe with more shooters, and more talented finishers Stith will be more comfortable running the offense. 

I agree with everything you just said, my one question/concern is:  If Stith staying prevents us from getting one of our main targets in 2012 (Anderson, Gathers) because of lack of an open scholarship, do the potential benefits you mentioned of having Stith on the team outweigh the chance of landing one of the aforementioned studs?

Moose

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2011, 04:52:26 PM »

I agree with everything you just said, my one question/concern is:  If Stith staying prevents us from getting one of our main targets in 2012 (Anderson, Gathers) because of lack of an open scholarship, do the potential benefits you mentioned of having Stith on the team outweigh the chance of landing one of the aforementioned studs?

How many times does a player prevent another player from coming?  You don't hear of that much.  Space is created.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:53:55 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2011, 09:31:05 PM »
If GG commits that would give SJU 2 ships for 2012. Hoping for a class of 3 (Jevon, Kyle, Gathers) would mean someone leaves early. Although we have some potential NBA level talent coming in I don't think we have a "1 and done" guy.

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2011, 02:30:44 PM »

Maybe if he declares for the NBA draft by May 8 and is drafted by the Miami Heat he will be more comfortable running their offense as he will have the most talented threesome of shooters and finishers. What part of just isn't talented enough to be a legitimate BE talent do some of you not understand. OK with him staying for this year but we will need his schoollie next year for some bigs.

Marillac

« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2011, 01:45:46 PM »

On paper that player is Amir Garret.  He's the fourth ranked SF we have coming in, but he is really the only guy I could see playing big minutes at the two of that group. 

Funny thing is I wouldn't be too surprised if somebody told me Garrett was our starting two next year. Somebody will be left out, but it will be a great competition.  The cream will rise to the top.