Ryan Harrow - PG - NC ST Transfer - Marietta, GA - KENTUCKY

• 199 replies
Re: Ryan Harrow - PG - NC ST Transfer - Marietta, GA
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 10:44:07 PM »
I saw something on a Louisville blog that said UK and Texas are getting he first visits
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Ryan Harrow NC St transfer
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 11:19:49 PM »
How come I never heard of this kid?
I don't know. Do you follow recruiting, high school hoops or college hoops? JK I only vaguely recall this kid but after viewing video of him I would take him on french toast. Would be perfect-have available schoolie and if Lindsey is one and done can start at pt the following year with Thomas coming in to back him up as a freshman.

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 08:44:09 AM »
I saw something on a Louisville blog that said UK and Texas are getting he first visits

Per Louisville scout.com site.  He is visiting UK and Texas this week and then will schedule the other 3 afterwards:

“Kentucky will be the first visit, Texas will be the next visit, then we have to figure out dates for the other schools,” Harrow said. “I will definitely visit all five. I will go to Kentucky Tuesday night and then I go to Texas Thursday evening.”

Harrow has family ties in New York, which helped put St. John’s on the visit list.

“I was just impressed by the way the team performed this year,” said Harrow. “I’ve always been a big fan of St. John’s because of my family. The way they performed this year I felt it would be good to play in front of family for a team that was real gritty and could beat anybody.”

http://louisville.scout.com/2/1069831.html

kjd01067

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 08:56:28 AM »

“I was just impressed by the way the team performed this year,” said Harrow. “I’ve always been a big fan of St. John’s because of my family. The way they performed this year I felt it would be good to play in front of family for a team that was real gritty and could beat anybody.”

I like the sound of that.  Lavin is going up against the big boys in this one.  It would be awesome if we could land an elite pg and send a message to the rest of the country that Lavin will not be out-recruited.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 09:34:48 AM »
Does celtic 11 want to sign everyone in shorts?  A short video could suggest that  Tom Bayne and Ed Brown were of  all-american caliber.     

MCNPA

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 09:59:43 AM »
We have several things in our favor.  The first is that the kid seems to have an innate desire to come to NY and play.  It seems he is recruiting us as much as we are him.  The second is that Lavin has proven in one short season to be one of the few most dangerous recruiters in the country.  I wouldn't want to be a school competing for a recruit over Lavin. He's just that good of a salesman, and he has a record and coaching staff credentials to deliver what he's selling.  Looking at the videos, the kid looks awesome.  I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Moose

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 10:26:38 AM »
Does celtic 11 want to sign everyone in shorts?  A short video could suggest that  Tom Bayne and Ed Brown were of  all-american caliber.     

No actually I just think he did his due diligence and looked at his rankings coming out of HS and how he put up 9ppg and 3pg and shot 87% from the line and maybe combined that WITH the videos to make a determination.  Good to see you continuing to bring great value to the site!
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 11:29:26 AM »

He was actually a 5-star recruit, per Rivals and Scout, coming out of high school.  Granted, it really doesn't mean much when you get to college, it does tell 'ya he has some level of talent.  I watched NC State play a couple of times last season and you could see he has some skill.  He was occasionally a little wild, but I can also say his team wasn't being coached worth a cuss.

CJ Leslie (another highly-touted freshmen) was so out of control, the couple of times I watched NC State, that it reminded me of some of the Norm-led teams.  It almost looked like they were rolling the balls out for gym class.  I saw NC State play G'town and UNC.  Their sloppiness wasn't attributed by the opposition.  They were pulling the trigger on themselves.

All in all, I think Harrow is definitely worth a look.  A year of watching and honing his skills could do him some good.  Not to mention, he'll be working with one of the better staffs in the nation during his off season, if he were to come to St. John's. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:30:05 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 01:58:37 PM »
Ed Brown went on to have several very solid and productive seasons at Rhode Island (may have played with Lamar Odum) and I still say that Tom Bayne could have been the next Bob "Big Bobcat" Lanier HOFer! :) :) :) ;) ;)

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 02:57:48 PM »
ez ed had a 5ppg season and then was  inelligible his senior year after harrick left if i recall.  im from amityville and he was hardly a force in local high school.

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 03:03:43 PM »
ez ed had a 5ppg season and then was  inelligible his senior year after harrick left if i recall.  im from amityville and he was hardly a force in local high school.
I though the Amityville Horror moved away years ago!  ;D

LJSA

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011, 11:45:47 PM »
im from amityville and he was hardly a force in local high school.

If memory serves me correctly, he averaged 27 and 17 his senior year, but wasn't even named honorable mention all-conference because coaches were trying to send a message about his laziness and bad attitude. I remember watching him at Rhode Island and he looked good. I actually thought he was a nifty passer for a big fat guy, but I'm not sure his assist average/totals ever beared that out.

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 09:40:38 AM »
I mentioned on redmen.com that I played against Brown on numerous occassions in high school and in the summer leagues, and actually had the misfortune to be "kind of" dunked on by him, but as I said then and I'll add to this now, I was very surprised when SJU got him. Zendon, who I also played against a couple of times, also struck me as kind of a lazy guy (maybe because of his height and obvious talent advantage over 17 year-olds) but Hamilton was way better than Brown. Brown could play, no doubt, but he was definitely more of a A-10 guy from the beginning.

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 04:56:32 PM »
Ryan Harrow’s Mom: ‘St. John’s Is Our Home’

By Adam Zagoria on May 06, 2011, 4:45PM

Beginning Wednesday, Ryan Harrow and his mother, Fern Matthews, will embark on a 10-day, five-school odyssey that will help them decide where the transfer from N.C. State will land.

In one of the most unique recruiting trips you’ll ever hear about, Harrow, a 6-foot-1 freshman point guard, and his mom will visit Kentucky, Texas, Louisville, Georgia and St. John’s without going home in between.

“Everything is back-to-back like this is because there’s a dead period from the 19th through the 27th,” Matthews said Friday by phone from Raleigh, N.C. “Summer school’s starting the second week in June.

“I kind of wanted to get the five visits out of the way and give Ryan a week or two to make a decision and then get ready for summer school.

“It will be busy.”

Asked if all five schools were equal in their minds going in, Matthews had this to say: “No one has anything any better than these five, other than St. John’s is our home.”

The family has deep connections to Queens and the New York area.

Both Fern and her husband, Mark, grew up in Queens. Former St. John’s assistant Ron Rutledge is a close family friend whom Harrow refers to as an “uncle.”

“Coach [Steve] Lavin and I have been hitting and missing [on phonecalls],” Matthews said. “I left him a voice message. I talked to coach Tony [Chiles].”

St. John’s has a verbal commit from point guard Jevon Thomas for 2012 and is also pursuing 2012 standout Kyle Anderson, who could potentially play point guard or point forward.

The Johnnies are also bringing in several guards in this year’s class, including JUCO standout Nurideen Lindsey, Phil Greene of Chicago and D’Angelo Harrison of Texas.

“We’re doing our homework in terms of who’s on staff, who’s on the roster and who are their incoming recruits,” Matthews said, referring to all five schools.

Harrow started 10 games at N.C. State and averaged 9.3 points and 3.3 assists in 23 minutes.

Because Harrow committed to then-N.C. State coach Sidney Lowe as a high school sophomore, he never took any official visits and never got a feel for other schools.

When Lowe was fired and replaced by Mark Gottfried, Matthews said her son saw it as an opportunity to branch out and look at other options.

Still, Harrow will miss playing with Lorenzo Brown, his Godbrother, and close friend C.J. Leslie, who was coached at Raleigh Word of God by Erasto Hatchett, Matthews’ son-in-law.

“He actually loved the area that he was in,” she said. “It’s just that he wanted  to have that opportunity. If the NCAA allowed him to go out on these visits and be able to go back to N.C. State, he may have made that choice. But the NCAA doesn’t allow him to do that.

“He thought for his individual development that releasing from the school and sitting out a year will do him wonders. Hopefully, the next situation is a great situation for him. He won’t know until he’s actually gone through it.”

Wherever Harrow lands, he will have to sit out a year per NCAA transfer regulations. He will use that time to build his body strength, learn the system and get prepared to play in 2012-13.

“He’s not going to be playing next year,” Matthews said. “The good thing is he has the time to work really hard, getting to know the staff and the team. It’s great.”

Moose

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Wow lot of factors in our favor.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 05:11:29 PM »
Amir Garrett just tweeted "Added ryan harrow to our team #niiiceee #stjbb"

Then fratto responded to that saying "@Amir_Garrett Slow down big boy, slow down!!! #stjbb"

hmmm....

EDIT: now it looks like Garrett removed his tweet
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 05:17:30 PM by boooooooooothe »

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »
I'd love it if we got this kid, having a skilled, experienced point guard next year would not only help us win, but would also help the development of Jevon Thomas.

MCNPA

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 05:55:17 PM »
Amir Garrett just tweeted "Added ryan harrow to our team #niiiceee #stjbb"

Then fratto responded to that saying "@Amir_Garrett Slow down big boy, slow down!!! #stjbb"

hmmm....

EDIT: now it looks like Garrett removed his tweet

Sounds like Harrow is close to a done deal.  Fratto trying to "reel in" Garrett's tweet is a very good sign IMO.  I'd LOVE to land this kid.  He can't be guarded at the PG spot.  A year at SJU on the practice team with Dunlap and the rest would be miraculous.  He's lightning in the running game. 

kjd01067

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Wow let's hope Amir is correct!