Jon Rothstein blogs on IS8

• 35 replies
Jon Rothstein blogs on IS8
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:23:08 PM »
Gives his lowdown on what he saw including the 3 SJU recruits: Harkless, Sampson and Pointer:

http://www.msg.com/blogs/jon-rothstein/six-players-to-watch-from-is8-1.67044

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Jon Rothstein blogs on IS8
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:24:09 PM »
The JaKarr Sampson/ Chris Singleton comparison is... interesting. It seems from what we've heard and seen that Sampson has a lot more of an offensive/ jump shooting/ slashing game than Singleton had, though Singleton has improved his jumper...

Moose

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 12:40:43 PM »
Rothstein again proving he knows zero about basketball.  Poor man's Rudy Gay?  How about just Rudy Gay?  And questioning his motor?  He plays a fluid game (ala Robbie Cano).
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 02:09:13 PM »
Rothstein again proving he knows zero about basketball.  Poor man's Rudy Gay?  How about just Rudy Gay?  And questioning his motor?  He plays a fluid game (ala Robbie Cano).

To be fair everyone knocks Mo on his motor (aggressiveness). Sometimes he brings it sometimes he doesn't that is his biggest flaw. I'm actually impressed that Jon is covering IS8 or high school event in general. Definitely a bump in his coverage.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 02:45:03 PM »

It seems in the highlights I've seen of him that his game is smooth and fluid.  I could be wrong, but I think some people view it as Harkless being lackadaisical.  A couple of times--per videos--he was moving laid back-like before rising up and flushing down hard dunks.  I bet the opposition didn't see it coming.

I think he has the chance to be a special player.

Moose

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »

It seems in the highlights I've seen of him that his game is smooth and fluid.  I could be wrong, but I think some people view it as Harkless being lackadaisical.  A couple of times--per videos--he was moving laid back-like before rising up and flushing down hard dunks.  I bet the opposition didn't see it coming.

Probably the first time Rothstein has ever seen him play.  Which obviously qualifies him to make his innane comparisons.
Remember who broke the Slice news

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
He also compares Pointer to Kawhi Leonard. I didn't see many San Diego State games so I can't judge, but pointer likened himself to Jason Richardson, and I could see him as a young J-Rich before he shored up his jumper.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »
He also compares Pointer to Kawhi Leonard. I didn't see many San Diego State games so I can't judge, but pointer likened himself to Jason Richardson, and I could see him as a young J-Rich before he shored up his jumper.

thats what i see. He has jrich body and hops
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 11:28:50 PM »

walter berry was called lackadaisical. 

sju89tr

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »

walter berry was called lackadaisical.

It sure looked that way until you checked the stats and he had 24 points and 12 boards

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 10:43:29 PM »
I love the Kevin Durant comparison with Harkless....geez I see it.  He's about an inch or so shorter, but he'll have to really gain that Durant confidence/edge. 

I think Harkless is a good athlete, but I think he's safely behind Pointer, Sampson, Polee, and Garrett in that category.  We really have some freaks coming in.

Sampson to Ebanks...that would be amazing.  I think this team by year two will most simlar to that WV final four team (small forward U), but with the added advantage of smaller guards that can really score it. 

boo3

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 10:27:35 AM »
 Kevin Durant is a freak of nature. Any comparisons to him are a stretch.   I mean, come on.  Durant is nearly 7 feet tall with unlimited range.

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 11:47:03 AM »
I still think of Carmelo when I see Mo.  I think conscience, minutes and confidence are all he needs to be special.  Steve's going to have some tough choices on how to use Polee with him around.  Same deal with Pointer and Harrison. I hope D Angelo can get some minutes at the point to up our firepower ala Hardy.  Then there's GG, Sampson and Pelle.  Al in all a great selection of talent but a challenge to keep everyone happy.  Winning is a big key as always and early season chemistry will be fun to watch.

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 11:57:59 AM »
I still think of Carmelo when I see Mo.  I think conscience, minutes and confidence are all he needs to be special.  Steve's going to have some tough choices on how to use Polee with him around.  Same deal with Pointer and Harrison. I hope D Angelo can get some minutes at the point to up our firepower ala Hardy.

I have this inkling Harkless can also be a special player.  Harrison may see some minutes at the point, as I believe he can play the 1 in spots.  But, placing Lindsey at the 1 and Harrison at the 2 will give us plenty of firepower.  I sense Harrison is still currently at his best playing off the ball. 

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »
I also see Harrison's value off the ball but I think he may be one of our top five and finding ways to get him in is important IMO.  Same story on Pointer.  Lindsey is still a mystery to me and I can't wait to see what he can do.

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 12:22:16 PM »
I also see Harrison's value off the ball but I think he may be one of our top five and finding ways to get him in is important IMO.  Same story on Pointer.  Lindsey is still a mystery to me and I can't wait to see what he can do.

Harrison will be in the game getting major minutes, IMO.  I believe the staff will definitely "find ways" to get him in the game.

Lindsey is wired to score, and he seems to be able to facilitate when the opportunity presents itself.  He's a long 6'4" guard and I forsee him being a problem for most of the guards he'll face next season.  Actually, he's one of the kids who is a shoe-in to start next season (at least, IMO).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 12:29:04 PM by mjdinkins »

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 08:43:44 AM »
Kevin Durant is a freak of nature. Any comparisons to him are a stretch.   I mean, come on.  Durant is nearly 7 feet tall with unlimited range.

Durant is 6'9.  Mo is 6'8 and 17 years old.  Durant is not a physical freak, but he's one skilled S.O.B. 

boo3

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 09:19:48 AM »

Durant is 6'9.  Mo is 6'8 and 17 years old.  Durant is not a physical freak, but he's one skilled S.O.B.

Whatever.  If Harkless is leading the NBA in scoring in 2 years, i'll apologize for calling the comparison ridiculous.  ::)

Poison

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 09:58:31 AM »
I think it would be great if this class came in with the hype centered around the group, instead of just one guy.
I'd like to compare Harkless to another player that had the balls to stay home when the hometown program was garbage.

That's the kind of hype we need.

Expecting any of these guys to be on par with an NBA superstar is not only nuts, but it's a great example of a lesson NOT well learned.

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 10:19:59 AM »
I think it would be great if this class came in with the hype centered around the group, instead of just one guy.
I'd like to compare Harkless to another player that had the balls to stay home when the hometown program was garbage.

That's the kind of hype we need.

Expecting any of these guys to be on par with an NBA superstar is not only nuts, but it's a great example of a lesson NOT well learned.
I just think it's optimism and who are more deserving of a little of that than SJU fans?  As far as lessons are concerned I think that's an open issue right now.  We don't have any top ten guys but we have enough talent from the next echelon to assume that at least one or twn are going to break through and make it big, rankings being the inexact things they are.  So what's wrong with trying to compare and guess who the biggies will be?