Kentucky in the BE/SEC Challenge

• 31 replies

Moose

Remember who broke the Slice news

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Kentucky in the BE/SEC Challenge
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 08:46:52 AM »
Didn't Lavin say something about not having a schedule as difficult as last year's for a young team?!! This is far tougher. UCLA's better and Kentucky's better than St. Mary's, et cetera...

Moose

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:49:57 AM »
Didn't Lavin say something about not having a schedule as difficult as last year's for a young team?!! This is far tougher. UCLA's better and Kentucky's better than St. Mary's, et cetera...

Toss in 2 of the 3 in Arizona, Miss St and Tex A&M.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:52:02 AM »
Don't forget the C v C which includes Arizona, Texas A & M,  and Miss St.

That is a big time schedule.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:53:49 AM »
Yikes!  I don't mind the competition, as it could (mentally) toughen up our bunch as the season wears on.  This is even tougher game, considering it'll be at Rupp against possibly at top 5 team (at that point of the season).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:55:07 AM by mjdinkins »

MCNPA

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 08:57:46 AM »
It's GREAT for us to have these big games on the schedule.  We just might not schedule trap games like St. Mary's etc. early in the season.  Maybe a few somewhat lighter opponents early.  Love to have UK on the schedule.  SJU's marketability has skyrocketed in one season.  It should keep going at this pace.  Lavin and Dunlap will have us competing next year. 

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 09:28:46 AM »
Agreed.  Big time programs play big time schedules.  Think small you will be small.

Lavin is thinking big.  He wants this program at a HIGH level.

MCNPA

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 09:46:25 AM »
Agreed.  Big time programs play big time schedules.  Think small you will be small.

He knows where his bread is at.  It's recruiting.  Big games, big TV exposure, big buzz helps bring big recruits.  If you bring the big recruits in every year, you are in contention every year...period.  He doesn't just want a #2 recruiting class his first season.  He wants top kids every year.  It is a testament that we are able to draw the SEC's best team for this matchup.  Lots of fans of other Big East programs going to be pissed, namely Uconn fans who I am sure believe they deserve the draw with UK.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 09:57:55 AM »

He knows where his bread is at.  It's recruiting.  Big games, big TV exposure, big buzz helps bring big recruits.  If you bring the big recruits in every year, you are in contention every year...period.  He doesn't just want a #2 recruiting class his first season.  He wants top kids every year.  It is a testament that we are able to draw the SEC's best team for this matchup.  Lots of fans of other Big East programs going to be pissed, namely Uconn fans who I am sure believe they deserve the draw with UK.

Plus its brownie points come March when we have a top schedule.  Tough for the committee to ignore a young team going right to the wolves all year long.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 10:08:11 AM »
manbearpig says this is a brutal scedule! hopes the hype is real

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:34:11 AM »

I remember Lavin saying that as well. Would we get Kentucky at the Garden the next year?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 10:54:36 AM »
It's GREAT for us to have these big games on the schedule.  We just might not schedule trap games like St. Mary's etc. early in the season.  Maybe a few somewhat lighter opponents early.  Love to have UK on the schedule.  SJU's marketability has skyrocketed in one season.  It should keep going at this pace.  Lavin and Dunlap will have us competing next year. 
Consider, though, that there is almost no "early season" given these games. CvC is held the first weekend of college ball (or maybe even before other schools start play) - early November. The first 2 games for the team will be the semi-patsies that CvC has participating from lower-tier conferences. Though Rhode Island played last year and could be troublesome.

I think there is room for maybe one more tune up game before Coaches Vs Cancer if I remember the scheduling correctly, and not all major conference participants took advantage.

Moose

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 10:57:01 AM »

I remember Lavin saying that as well. Would we get Kentucky at the Garden the next year?

Doubtful because they try to mix up the teams who play eachother each year in this Challenge.  Unless we did it on our own accord we would probably get another SEC team the next year.  Remember we had UGA two years ago.  This past year we were off.  Now they expanded to include more teams so only a few sit out.

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 10:57:48 AM »
Consider, though, that there is almost no "early season" given these games. CvC is held the first weekend of college ball (or maybe even before other schools start play) - early November. The first 2 games for the team will be the semi-patsies that CvC has participating from lower-tier conferences. Though Rhode Island played last year and could be troublesome.

I think there is room for maybe one more tune up game before Coaches Vs Cancer if I remember the scheduling correctly, and not all major conference participants took advantage.

Bring on the Iona Gaels!

Moose

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 11:00:01 AM »

I thought you HAD to play 2 games prior to MSG.  But still we guaranteed MSG now.

By the way URI has 8 newcomers this year.  6 freshman and 2 transfers.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 11:16:05 AM »
I thought you HAD to play 2 games prior to MSG.  But still we guaranteed MSG now.

Yes - each team plays 2 lower-tier games and is guaranteed the semifinals in MSG. (No Gardner-Webb over Kentucky debacles anymore).  I was off on the dates, the first games were Monday November 8th last year with the MSG games on November 18-19th.  Illinois, Maryland and Pitt both played their opening round games AND an additional matchup that was not part of Coaches Vs Cancer.

And I don't think URI would play again, just using them as an example of a pesky team from a solid conference that might slip into CvC.

Moose

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 11:40:39 AM »

Yes - each team plays 2 lower-tier games and is guaranteed the semifinals in MSG. (No Gardner-Webb over Kentucky debacles anymore).  I was off on the dates, the first games were Monday November 8th last year with the MSG games on November 18-19th.  Illinois, Maryland and Pitt both played their opening round games AND an additional matchup that was not part of Coaches Vs Cancer.

And I don't think URI would play again, just using them as an example of a pesky team from a solid conference that might slip into CvC.

Someone posted a few weeks back that we would be playing URI in some capacity next yr.  Didn't realize they played in it last year.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 12:34:31 PM »
Seems like this was all out of Lav's hands with the exception of the C v C.  Wow is this a brutal schedule :(

I don't think it will pay dividends this season, as I see us around .500 or just under, but I think it will help us exponentially next season as the kids look at the tape and work on the areas they were weak.

For as much talent as we have, I don't think many people on these boards realize how many mistakes freshman make.  It's going to be damn ugly at certain points but very exciting at others. 

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 01:15:14 PM »
This schedule will be a brutal (and sobering) baptism of fire for our celebrated recruits. It should also be a selling point for future prospects: "We play against the best in the country."

Also like the addition of MoMo even though he's never seen a shot he doesn't like. You have to think that Moe Hicks (his coach at Rice) was a big factor in his decision.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 01:40:07 PM »

For as much talent as we have, I don't think many people on these boards realize how many mistakes freshman make.  It's going to be damn ugly at certain points but very exciting at others. 
THIS.

When we start talking predictions, I can't go higher than 9th; and that's a really good year, considering. Crazy talent, but college ball is so much more complex than HS hoops, talent or no. End of the year, this should be a team no one wants to face, but in January, we're all gonna have to remind the bandwagoners that freshmen hardly dominate on the top levels of the NCAA.