2011/2012 Roster only 10 players

• 86 replies

Moose

Re: 2011/2012 Roster only 10 players
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2011, 12:40:30 PM »
If Pelle and Sampson were eligible, this group would still have significant trouble with a mod major frontcourt.

Please

Freshman. If there is a Kevin Durante in this group it's news to me.

A mid major front court.  You make it seem like something unbeatable.  If they were that good they wouldn't be playing front court for a mid major.

Super athletic has advantages over size just as size has advantage over smaller.  Still don't get how some people only see the one side of the equation when the other side of the ball favors.  It works both ways.
Remember who broke the Slice news

ras

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2011, 12:46:01 PM »
I know this has been asked , What is the status of Pelle? You would think by now he would be enrolled  in some school to make up classes or close to it . He has been very quit. I hope Im wrong but I have my doubts about him  playing for us.

Moose

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »
Don't forget lav had a commit from Dwight Mielke (spelling?) think he was a 4/5 if  i remember. Did he decomitt or did we recruit over him? and where is he headed?

No way would he have seen time at the 5.  Playing at the 4 would have been a stretch for him.  He was an inch or two taller than Dom, rail thin and both times I saw him he was cherry picking on the 3 pt line.

gman

« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2011, 01:47:12 PM »
Don't forget lav had a commit from Dwight Mielke (spelling?) think he was a 4/5 if  i remember. Did he decomitt or did we recruit over him? and where is he headed?

No chance be was playing 5 if he showed

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2011, 02:46:09 PM »
Any one else concerned that as of right now we have only 10 players.
We were all concerned about saving scholarships for 2012 class. (Jevon, Anderson Gathers etc.)
But with Polee leaving- down to 10. And even if MoMo
or Harrow were to have come it was to play in 2012.

We are 2 injuries/ non qualifiers away from a very very short roster.
A 5th year Graduating senior (I read about that exception) would be perfect.
If not, I wonder if staff is still looking for a very late 2011 addittion (JC?)

I wish I wasnt so  on point 5 months ago  :(

Great job Steve! And another great job outta Lavin and staff fielding a team for next season. ;D

Yet another post that leads many to wonder what team you actually root for.  And people thought PMG is a Seton Hall fan.  If anyone's fandom should be scrutinized its yours.

St Johns has what, 8 players going into the season? Is that a good job? His first recruit Polee, ran out of town -the next class- 3 of them probably will never play for St Johns. Last year,he won with a team full of seniors, than shat the bed in the tourny. I like Lavin, but I think we jumped the gun calling him a success here

I'll bite Baldi.  Because I want to like you and understand you.  But just when I do you come out and post something like your last couple of posts.

Everyone knows I'm a huge Lavin fan.  That being said IMO he did drop the ball with how these three ineligible players turned out.  On two fronts.  First I would have balanced the positions a bit better.  If I knew 2 of the 3 players I had coming in for the 4/5 positions were sketchy academically I would have tried to get another big body instead of another wing per se.  Secondly I think sending all 3 to RISE was a disaster.  You don't draw attention like that.

Now as for the players.  Are you suggesting he not take top level talent with academic risks?  Should he have taken a 150 ranked player instead?  Remember in many cases this is his year 1 because of all the ships.  Usually coaches have a few to work with in year 1 but he really didnt.  He brought in Polee and Polee ran when his people felt he wasn't going to play.  That cannot fall on Lavin by any stretch.  He brought in Top 100 player in Polee 2 weeks on the job.

The team did what in the NCAA tournament?  Last I checked DJ was out and hurt our depth.  Did you expect them to go win a bunch of games or something?  We limped into the tournament quite literally.

If your doing all of this just to get a rise (pun intended) do me a favor and privately let me know so I can just let you do your thing and not react to it.

Thanks!

Like I said, I like Lavin too. And no doubt he has great talent coming in, I didnt mean to suggest otherwise-but didnt it seem like 7 out of the 9 were  questionable on gettng cleared to be eligible(for 1 reason or another)? With only 1 player returning, and some top talent already signed,maybe it would have been better to grab a few top 150 players who didnt throw up red flags?

You have no argument with me on maybe putting another body in frontcourt who was safer option.  But look at it this way.  Lville has 4 kids coming in and 2 are still waiting on status.  That's 50%.  Kansas also had 3 kids still in limbo and I know they didn't have 9 coming in so that % is higher.  Suddenly our 33% isn't so bad.  The flip side of that is it was a 9 man class and we don't already have guys on the team.

Do either of those teams have a shortage of players on the roster? I think Lville has like 15 "scholly"players, they have room for error, we dont.

As for RISE, whose idea was it for them to go there?

Can anyone answe this question?

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2011, 02:51:28 PM »
I know this has been asked , What is the status of Pelle? You would think by now he would be enrolled  in some school to make up classes or close to it . He has been very quit. I hope Im wrong but I have my doubts about him  playing for us.
Norvel's been laying real low on Twitter, just conversing w/ buds.  He usually responds to my tweets, but my latest tweets of support were not responded to.  I'm not saying this means anything, maybe just that he's bummed out right now.

Moose

« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »
Any one else concerned that as of right now we have only 10 players.
We were all concerned about saving scholarships for 2012 class. (Jevon, Anderson Gathers etc.)
But with Polee leaving- down to 10. And even if MoMo
or Harrow were to have come it was to play in 2012.

We are 2 injuries/ non qualifiers away from a very very short roster.
A 5th year Graduating senior (I read about that exception) would be perfect.
If not, I wonder if staff is still looking for a very late 2011 addittion (JC?)

I wish I wasnt so  on point 5 months ago  :(

Great job Steve! And another great job outta Lavin and staff fielding a team for next season. ;D

Yet another post that leads many to wonder what team you actually root for.  And people thought PMG is a Seton Hall fan.  If anyone's fandom should be scrutinized its yours.

St Johns has what, 8 players going into the season? Is that a good job? His first recruit Polee, ran out of town -the next class- 3 of them probably will never play for St Johns. Last year,he won with a team full of seniors, than shat the bed in the tourny. I like Lavin, but I think we jumped the gun calling him a success here

I'll bite Baldi.  Because I want to like you and understand you.  But just when I do you come out and post something like your last couple of posts.

Everyone knows I'm a huge Lavin fan.  That being said IMO he did drop the ball with how these three ineligible players turned out.  On two fronts.  First I would have balanced the positions a bit better.  If I knew 2 of the 3 players I had coming in for the 4/5 positions were sketchy academically I would have tried to get another big body instead of another wing per se.  Secondly I think sending all 3 to RISE was a disaster.  You don't draw attention like that.

Now as for the players.  Are you suggesting he not take top level talent with academic risks?  Should he have taken a 150 ranked player instead?  Remember in many cases this is his year 1 because of all the ships.  Usually coaches have a few to work with in year 1 but he really didnt.  He brought in Polee and Polee ran when his people felt he wasn't going to play.  That cannot fall on Lavin by any stretch.  He brought in Top 100 player in Polee 2 weeks on the job.

The team did what in the NCAA tournament?  Last I checked DJ was out and hurt our depth.  Did you expect them to go win a bunch of games or something?  We limped into the tournament quite literally.

If your doing all of this just to get a rise (pun intended) do me a favor and privately let me know so I can just let you do your thing and not react to it.

Thanks!

Like I said, I like Lavin too. And no doubt he has great talent coming in, I didnt mean to suggest otherwise-but didnt it seem like 7 out of the 9 were  questionable on gettng cleared to be eligible(for 1 reason or another)? With only 1 player returning, and some top talent already signed,maybe it would have been better to grab a few top 150 players who didnt throw up red flags?

You have no argument with me on maybe putting another body in frontcourt who was safer option.  But look at it this way.  Lville has 4 kids coming in and 2 are still waiting on status.  That's 50%.  Kansas also had 3 kids still in limbo and I know they didn't have 9 coming in so that % is higher.  Suddenly our 33% isn't so bad.  The flip side of that is it was a 9 man class and we don't already have guys on the team.

Do either of those teams have a shortage of players on the roster? I think Lville has like 15 "scholly"players, they have room for error, we dont.

As for RISE, whose idea was it for them to go there?

Can anyone answe this question?

I'm guessing you want an answer to the 2nd question.  Lavin is the CEO.  He has to sign off on everything.  As for who suggested RISE possibly?  I don't know but I have my guesses.

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2011, 03:10:04 PM »
i'd guess tony c.

redslope

« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »
it seems like only yesterday people were guessing who was going to walk after year 1 due to so many players/so little playing time.  no one was projecting a national championship for 2012 but rather a nucleus for the future with our incoming class of 2012/13.  well now we will have no question of playing time and it will give the sensational six an opportunity to gain valuable experience.  we will also end up with a better distribution of scholarships going forward.   

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2011, 10:58:19 PM »
In KOB we trust!! I still can't wait to see these kids take the court (minus the 3). The loses will make it tougher but when they get back we will be better. We have a great coaching staff that will have the team in shape and prepared. I want to see if these kids can win on the road in the BE. So many challenges a head...enjoy the ride everyone!

crgreen

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2011, 01:33:17 AM »
If Pelle and Sampson were eligible, this group would still have significant trouble with a mid major frontcourt.

Lavin knows he made a huge mistake. Now, they have to pray that 2-3 kids who wasted time this summer are man enough to follow through and finally graduate. I don't blame the NCAA one bit, this is on St.Johns, and on these kids.

"Wasted time this summer" by attending summer school and getting straight A's in three subjects each?

Poison

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2011, 07:51:39 AM »
Green, have you not been following along here? If that was the case, they'd be at St.John's now.

SJU85

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2011, 08:32:37 AM »

No way would he have seen time at the 5.  Playing at the 4 would have been a stretch for him.  He was an inch or two taller than Dom, rail thin and both times I saw him he was cherry picking on the 3 pt line.

Meikle committed to Hampton University

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2011, 03:11:14 PM »
Is there any word on kids who are attempting to walk on or is the staff looking at more jc guys for current season? :'(

« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2011, 03:44:31 PM »
Is this the roster?

Malik Stith
Mo Harkless
Gods Gift
D'angelo Harrison
Dom Pointer
Nuri Lindsay
Phil Greene
Jamal White
Cameron Edison

Moose

« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2011, 03:45:39 PM »
Is this the roster?

Malik Stith
Mo Harkless
Gods Gift
D'angelo Harrison
Dom Pointer
Nuri Lindsay
Phil Greene
Jamal White
Cameron Edison

Edison is gone.

« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2011, 03:47:41 PM »
Is this the roster?

Malik Stith
Mo Harkless
Gods Gift
D'angelo Harrison
Dom Pointer
Nuri Lindsay
Phil Greene
Jamal White
Cameron Edison

Edison is gone.

Rise Academy too? ;)

Graduated?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:48:16 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2011, 03:58:05 PM »
Is this the roster?

Malik Stith
Mo Harkless
Gods Gift
D'angelo Harrison
Dom Pointer
Nuri Lindsay
Phil Greene
Jamal White
Cameron Edison

Edison is gone.

We have more coaches than players
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:58:51 PM by Marco Baldi »

Poison

« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2011, 04:07:13 PM »
Is there any word on kids who are attempting to walk on or is the staff looking at more jc guys for current season? :'(

The staff has got to be looking to add some size before the season starts. We're dead without it.

« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2011, 04:09:29 PM »

The staff has got to be looking to add some size before the season starts. We're dead without it.

HOw can they add anyone who is not at St Johns already? School started a month ago no?