Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies

DFF6

Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1000 on: March 07, 2013, 01:02:55 PM »
Make comments all you want criticizing Lavin's coaching abilities, but please don't make yourself look foolish by trying to say he's not a great recruiter. That's just false.

Not disagreeing with you but just curious, what's a better recruiting job:
1. Recruiting 8 guys who Everyone knows about but 2/3 of them end up being average at best.
Or
2. Recruiting 8 guys who no one knows about and having 2/3 of them becoming good players.

Just curious what people think. Does the better recruiter get Amir Garrett or does the better recruiter get Sean Kilpatrick?

The better recruiter falls under 1.  The better talent evaluator/coach falls under 2.

« Reply #1001 on: March 07, 2013, 01:15:51 PM »
We ONLY had 6 top 100 kids in the 2011 class. Sampson came back the next year, so that would make 3 and Harrison hasn't gone anywhere yet (although I'm sure he's on his way out). 3/4 out of 6 isn't bad. Especially considering 1 is in the NBA and the other is lost in California. Regardless, for St. John's, having just TWO top 100 guys is impressive enough considering our recent track record.

Norm wasn't getting top 100 kids because players regressed under him. Before him, we routinely landed McDonald's AA players. Lavin's recruiting success isn't actually so successful, if we can't shoot or pass the ball.

Routinely landed McD's kids????  really?

Not every year, but not far off.
94, Z and Felipe
97, Artest
98, Barkley
00, Cook
02, Ingram

Jarvis' arrogant behavior towards recruits killed this success. 

It wasn't every year, but we got our share.

The best Norm did was Burrell was #50 on many CBB sites. Rob Thomas, at one point was ranked #60. That's it. Thomas' lack of physical health wasn't Norm's fault. But when he finally got a local stud in Burrell, many felt he regressed because of Norm.

I know I did.
the last three came under jarvis..barkley recommit.

he was a better recruiter at st john's than lavin...and a FAR better game tactician.  his problem is the players didn't get better...and in most cases, regressed.

if he was smart enough to buy a couple of suits and a watch for FH, he'd still be here.

Better recruiter than Lavin? Ha.  This place has lost it.

« Reply #1002 on: March 07, 2013, 01:17:34 PM »
Back to Rysheed:

Those in the know -  would the Harrison situation have any impact on Rysheed?

« Reply #1003 on: March 07, 2013, 01:21:29 PM »
We ONLY had 6 top 100 kids in the 2011 class. Sampson came back the next year, so that would make 3 and Harrison hasn't gone anywhere yet (although I'm sure he's on his way out). 3/4 out of 6 isn't bad. Especially considering 1 is in the NBA and the other is lost in California. Regardless, for St. John's, having just TWO top 100 guys is impressive enough considering our recent track record.

Norm wasn't getting top 100 kids because players regressed under him. Before him, we routinely landed McDonald's AA players. Lavin's recruiting success isn't actually so successful, if we can't shoot or pass the ball.

Routinely landed McD's kids????  really?

Not every year, but not far off.
94, Z and Felipe
97, Artest
98, Barkley
00, Cook
02, Ingram

Jarvis' arrogant behavior towards recruits killed this success. 

It wasn't every year, but we got our share.

The best Norm did was Burrell was #50 on many CBB sites. Rob Thomas, at one point was ranked #60. That's it. Thomas' lack of physical health wasn't Norm's fault. But when he finally got a local stud in Burrell, many felt he regressed because of Norm.

I know I did.
the last three came under jarvis..barkley recommit.

he was a better recruiter at st john's than lavin...and a FAR better game tactician.  his problem is the players didn't get better...and in most cases, regressed.

if he was smart enough to buy a couple of suits and a watch for FH, he'd still be here.

Quite frankly the most idiotic post on this board ever.  This is out of control...We should demote ourselves to D3.

boo3

« Reply #1004 on: March 07, 2013, 01:39:52 PM »

"Quite frankly the most idiotic post on this board ever. "

Although absurd, the scary part is that this post probably doesn't get into the top 10 most idiotic on the site..  At this rate, it may fall out of the top 20 in a week or so...

« Reply #1005 on: March 07, 2013, 01:48:05 PM »
Make comments all you want criticizing Lavin's coaching abilities, but please don't make yourself look foolish by trying to say he's not a great recruiter. That's just false.

Not disagreeing with you but just curious, what's a better recruiting job:
1. Recruiting 8 guys who Everyone knows about but 2/3 of them end up being average at best.
Or
2. Recruiting 8 guys who no one knows about and having 2/3 of them becoming good players.

Just curious what people think. Does the better recruiter get Amir Garrett or does the better recruiter get Sean Kilpatrick?

Well is it not true that higher ranked recruits are more likely to have success than lower rated ones? Great recruiters can compete with the big boys and get guys to commit.

MCNPA

« Reply #1006 on: March 07, 2013, 06:52:27 PM »
Back to Rysheed, UCLA offering a Juco PG yesterday isn't even being talked about.  Must be promising, no? 

« Reply #1007 on: March 07, 2013, 06:58:43 PM »
Back to Rysheed, UCLA offering a Juco PG yesterday isn't even being talked about.  Must be promising, no?

Dont really think it matters. How ever maybe if Emmanuel Owootoah commits to them along with the juco that will create a log jam and push him away from UCLA. Just a thought

crgreen

« Reply #1008 on: March 07, 2013, 08:48:47 PM »

Dont really think it matters. How ever maybe if Emmanuel Owootoah commits to them along with the juco that will create a log jam and push him away from UCLA. Just a thought

Don't think so.  Kyle's dad has been interviewd on the Bruin Scout page (also posts in their forums) and has indicated there's a 50/50 chance Kyle leaves -   The Bruins are looking to bring in TWO pgs in this class.   They were targeting one in this class, with Kyle backing him, and bringing in Parker Jackson Cartwright in the 2014 class.  but PJC committed to Arizona.  Their next "target" is 2015 Marcus Lovett Jr.   A two year JC kid would be the perfect solution to the 2nd PG issue.   They think Rysheed is a 2 year player as well.   

Of course, all recruiting is a crapshoot.  Matthieu (the JC) could end up the ONLY pg on the roster next year, with Combo frosh Zach Lavine and Allerick Freeman playing there as well.   There's also a rumor of a 4th prospect in this class.   A formerly highly rated LA area PG who's fallen off the radar, as he grew from 5'11 to 6'5, and transferred schools, and ended up having to sit out his senior year - that's per a Yahoo/Rivals report.

I trust Dave and his sources, and if he says Sheed is now a UCLA lean, it's likely true.  But that doesn't mean he WON'T end up in a St. Johns uniform.   The only thing I've been able to glean from this kid is that he hasn't wavered in the last 2 months on who the "final 3" are.   My guess jis, as one of the couple top ranked prospects still undeclared, he's waiting for the ESPNU Signing Day show to announce Live, ala Shabazz and Noel last year.

« Reply #1009 on: March 07, 2013, 09:25:23 PM »

Don't think so.  Kyle's dad has been interviewd on the Bruin Scout page (also posts in their forums) and has indicated there's a 50/50 chance Kyle leaves -   The Bruins are looking to bring in TWO pgs in this class.   They were targeting one in this class, with Kyle backing him, and bringing in Parker Jackson Cartwright in the 2014 class.  but PJC committed to Arizona.  Their next "target" is 2015 Marcus Lovett Jr.   A two year JC kid would be the perfect solution to the 2nd PG issue.   They think Rysheed is a 2 year player as well.   

Of course, all recruiting is a crapshoot.  Matthieu (the JC) could end up the ONLY pg on the roster next year, with Combo frosh Zach Lavine and Allerick Freeman playing there as well.   There's also a rumor of a 4th prospect in this class.   A formerly highly rated LA area PG who's fallen off the radar, as he grew from 5'11 to 6'5, and transferred schools, and ended up having to sit out his senior year - that's per a Yahoo/Rivals report.

I trust Dave and his sources, and if he says Sheed is now a UCLA lean, it's likely true.  But that doesn't mean he WON'T end up in a St. Johns uniform.   The only thing I've been able to glean from this kid is that he hasn't wavered in the last 2 months on who the "final 3" are.   My guess jis, as one of the couple top ranked prospects still undeclared, he's waiting for the ESPNU Signing Day show to announce Live, ala Shabazz and Noel last year.

Good info as always, just wishful thinking on my part

« Reply #1010 on: March 07, 2013, 10:26:49 PM »
he was a better recruiter at st john's than lavin...

Straight up the most absurdist comment to date among dozens in the last few day.
+1000

« Reply #1011 on: March 08, 2013, 08:58:22 AM »
Believe he has a playoff game tonight at 7:30.

I would assume we would have representation there.

paultzman

« Reply #1012 on: March 08, 2013, 09:01:50 AM »
Believe he has a playoff game tonight at 7:30.

I would assume we would have representation there.

Know his team lost last week in City playoffs, thought season was over?

« Reply #1013 on: March 08, 2013, 09:04:35 AM »
I think it could be state playoffs now.

paultzman

« Reply #1014 on: March 08, 2013, 09:08:51 AM »

Sorry J, you are right. Get in the car staff!

“@sheedjordan: To all VAUX fans and family and friends today is game day @ Germantown high school @7:30..”

Moose

« Reply #1015 on: March 08, 2013, 09:12:22 AM »

“@sheedjordan: To all VAUX fans and family and friends today is game day @ Germantown high school @7:30..”

Too much snow.
Gotta rest up for game tomorrow :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #1016 on: March 08, 2013, 09:13:56 AM »

Too much snow.
Gotta rest up for game tomorrow :)

Ha, need a few minutes to iron out offense?

« Reply #1017 on: March 08, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »

Why bother, he is going to UCLA... ::) ::)

« Reply #1018 on: March 08, 2013, 12:03:24 PM »

Straight up the most absurdist comment to date among dozens in the last few day.
+1000
i'll admit if you can tell me whether lavin brought in any mcdonald aa's...jarvis had three.
did lavin bring in a better shooter than marcus hatten??? i'd say not even close.  the shooting by the current recruits is beyond embarassing.
did lavin even attempt to go after top five players.  jarvis had miles in the bag..but he opted to go to the nba (third overall choice) when high schoolers were allowed to go.  would lavin have gotten harkless under the old rules?
any first team nyc players under lavin?  jarvis had a few.

we all know about the jarvis hatred....but give him his due.

« Reply #1019 on: March 08, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »

+1000
i'll admit if you can tell me whether lavin brought in any mcdonald aa's...jarvis had three.
did lavin bring in a better shooter than marcus hatten??? i'd say not even close.  the shooting by the current recruits is beyond embarassing.
did lavin even attempt to go after top five players.  jarvis had miles in the bag..but he opted to go to the nba (third overall choice) when high schoolers were allowed to go.  would lavin have gotten harkless under the old rules?
any first team nyc players under lavin?  jarvis had a few.

we all know about the jarvis hatred....but give him his due.

McDonald's AA's are not always equivalent to high school rankings.

More importantly if Coach A brought in 8 top 75 kids and Coach B brought in 2 McD's AA's but 6 non-descript unranked players there is no way  Coach B is a better recruiter then Coach A.

Sorry your comment has nothing to do with piling on about Jarvis.  It is utter nonsense and you trying to justify it by bringing up the McD's AA nonsense just digs you a deeper hole.

You could simply say that Jarvis was not a bad recruiter and then justify it with the McD AA comment.  But you didn’t say that you said he was BETTER then Lavin which is beyond insane.