Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies

DFF6

Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1520 on: April 08, 2013, 07:19:52 PM »
With all of the excitement over the possible Jordan commitment, I'm starting to think how his addition will affect the pt of the existing guards.  Who takes the biggest hit?  I'd like it to be Greene, but if Harrison doesn't come back, I think Branch loses the most minutes, unless Lavin runs Branch and Jordan at the same time.   I think Balamou gets buried on the bench for another year.

« Reply #1521 on: April 08, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »
Matt Breen of the Philadelphia Inquirer tweeted something interesting a few days ago asking people to draw their own conclusions:

He basically said that on March 15th Lavin came to see Jordan play sitting right behind the Vaux bench.  Two days later Jordan announces he is going to commit in a month on April 15th.

Then just days after Amir Garrett announces he is leaving SJU thus opening a scholarship for SJU Jordan publically pushes up his announcement date to April 11th.

Coincidence????
First part could have meaning but second part probably coinkydink as moving up those 4 days wouldn't seem to have meaning as to where but probably more related to espn recruiting show although one poster said telep said no live announcements but maybe he just is unaware or they will show video of his announcement.

« Reply #1522 on: April 08, 2013, 07:31:49 PM »
If DLO comes back I'm sure Felix would get redshirted. I don't want him to transfer, i know some are really down on Felix but i love his potential. The SG will be whoever can knock down the most open looks, Which is DLO but I would not be surprised to see branch and Rysheed on the court together against press heavy teams. Only lock starters would be Dom, Jakarr, Rysheed IMO. I would assume Sanchez would start over CO and DLO over anyone else at the 2 but that depends on where he is at psychologically.

sju89tr

« Reply #1523 on: April 08, 2013, 07:35:40 PM »
If DLO comes back I'm sure Felix would get redshirted. I don't want him to transfer, i know some are really down on Felix but i love his potential. The SG will be whoever can knock down the most open looks, Which is DLO but I would not be surprised to see branch and Rysheed on the court together against press heavy teams. Only lock starters would be Dom, Jakarr, Rysheed IMO. I would assume Sanchez would start over CO and DLO over anyone else at the 2 but that depends on where he is at psychologically.

If we get Sheed and everyone else stays, it would be really a great thing if lavin was able to convince Felix and Jones to both redshirt. I doubt that happens.

I do love the upside of both players 

« Reply #1524 on: April 08, 2013, 07:37:05 PM »
With all of the excitement over the possible Jordan commitment, I'm starting to think how his addition will affect the pt of the existing guards.  Who takes the biggest hit?  I'd like it to be Greene, but if Harrison doesn't come back, I think Branch loses the most minutes, unless Lavin runs Branch and Jordan at the same time.   I think Balamou gets buried on the bench for another year.
I hope Greene makes all you non believers stop. He improved as the year went on and expect him to improve next year. I admire his mental toughness, he will have to prove it, but I like the odds.

sju89tr

« Reply #1525 on: April 08, 2013, 07:40:40 PM »
I hope Greene makes all you non believers stop. He improved as the year went on and expect him to improve next year. I admire his mental toughness, he will have to prove it, but I like the odds.

Greene would be better with less minutes. I too believe he improved a lot last year but a healthy Branch and adding Jordan allowing Greene to play 20-25 minutes would be better for St Johns.

« Reply #1526 on: April 08, 2013, 07:46:26 PM »
Greene defintely wears down over the course of the season. He started strong and finished strong. Not worried at all about Phil. He's going to get minutes. Branch is the suspect guy to me.

« Reply #1527 on: April 08, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
I love Phil, I think he will flourish by playing with a guy that can get him the ball in favorable positions. I always thought we were a PG and big away, with Sanchez eligible and if we can get Rysheed, we will catch a lot of people by surprise next year. Rysheed will have a Shane Larkin impact if he comes to St. John's.

ras

« Reply #1528 on: April 08, 2013, 07:47:15 PM »
It would be nice to see Phil play the 2 instead of the 1. But If DLO gets his head together he should get the bulk of the minutes at the 2. That said, Lavin seems to be in love w Phil. It would be nice to have depth. You never know w injuries ,foul trouble,suspensions, etc. Syracuse and Louisville have these problems every year. Having too many good players is a quality problem I hope we have every year.

Marillac

« Reply #1529 on: April 08, 2013, 09:48:07 PM »
Great pull by Lavin. I hope this puts an end to those doubting his recruiting.  Doubting Lavin's ability to attract recruits is like doubting Bourgault's ability to pickup chicks.

Let's be reasonable with the expectations we cast on the new frosh.  Let's also not throw dirt over a competitor like Phil Greene that has busted his arse for two years.  I see a ton of three-guard sets in our future and I am hoping that the returning vets will be able to bridge the gap by letting Sheed develop at his pace. 

« Reply #1530 on: April 08, 2013, 09:56:13 PM »
Greene defintely wears down over the course of the season. He started strong and finished strong. Not worried at all about Phil. He's going to get minutes. Branch is the suspect guy to me.
+4000
 :up:

« Reply #1531 on: April 08, 2013, 10:09:57 PM »

If we get Sheed and everyone else stays, it would be really a great thing if lavin was able to convince Felix and Jones to both redshirt. I doubt that happens.

Neither will redshirt.  Minutes are there for both if they develop. 

re: Felix is a much more natural, albeit undersized, wing/3.  Dom will get into plenty of foul trouble and he can thrive running with two guards on the floor with him.

I was told again today that Gift is the guy who may choose to go elsewhere.  Staff wants him back.   
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:11:30 PM by MaineQB »

« Reply #1532 on: April 08, 2013, 10:18:08 PM »

I was told again today that Gift is the guy who may choose to go elsewhere.  Staff wants him back.   

I, too, heard again that Gift is going to Harvard.  I would love to have him back but if he has that option, I wish him the best.

Poison

« Reply #1533 on: April 08, 2013, 10:20:01 PM »

Neither will redshirt.  Minutes are there for both if they develop. 

re: Felix is a much more natural, albeit undersized, wing/3.  Dom will get into plenty of foul trouble and he can thrive running with two guards on the floor with him.

Hope he doesn't. Staff can't ignore the need for depth. We just ended the season on fumes.

bk8664

« Reply #1534 on: April 08, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »
If the rumors of Rysheed's commitment are true, then we are going to be in great shape for next season.   With Sampson, Sanchez, D'Lo and Jordan on the floor - that is plenty of offensive fire-power.     Any fifth player on the floor should have plenty of open looks.  Defenses will have to be able to play us honest.

I'm particularly excited about Jordan's ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim.  His handle looks awesome.  Hopefully he has the ability to dish as well. That will be huge next year to have him along with a fully healed Branch.  We should take a lot more free-throws next year.

Dare I say that we might be a solid three point shooting team next year?  It seems like a dream, but when you look at the individual pieces it seems like we have some pretty good options:   D'Lo stats show he's actually a solid three-point shooter,  Jordan seems to have a pretty good three point shot from the you-tube videos,  posters have said that Sanchez has a good outside shot... and then add Hooper to the mix. 

bk8664

« Reply #1535 on: April 08, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »

I, too, heard again that Gift is going to Harvard.  I would love to have him back but if he has that option, I wish him the best.

It's hard to begrudge a kid who would want to get an advanced degree at Harvard.  Good for him.  It's nice to see.    It would be nice if he stayed for our basketball purposes however,  his muscle would be nice to have to spell the other front-court players.

« Reply #1536 on: April 08, 2013, 10:42:43 PM »
I agree that Gift will likely have a role off the bench, absent big time improvement from Jones in the offseason on his interior game/rebounding.  Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Moose

« Reply #1537 on: April 08, 2013, 10:50:02 PM »
Can afford to lose 1 of the two.  Can't lose both.
If the Sr leaves try to plug another 5th yr guy.  If the soon to be Soph leaves find a conventional transfer.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1538 on: April 08, 2013, 10:52:46 PM »
Can afford to lose 1 of the two.  Can't lose both.
If the Sr leaves try to plug another 5th yr guy.  If the soon to be Soph leaves find a conventional transfer.

The thing is gift can play center and I don't think Jones can, and I really don't want him to leave.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #1539 on: April 08, 2013, 10:55:24 PM »
Agree on both points.  Gift with an extra two years of maturation can give us a situation where we have platoon with CO/Gift (I guess Sanchez could play there at times if we went really small or against certain teams).  But I think Jones has upside.  I hope the latter sees the big picture; even if he doesn't play a major role (or even a significant supporting role) next year, he can improve each day playing against good players, and be in a position to log major minutes as a junior with Sanchez/Gift gone, and possibly Sampson (although I still wouldn't rule him out as being a 3 year guy).