• 2186 replies

boo3

Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #800 on: February 17, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »
 Lavin is lazy...  ::)

gman

« Reply #801 on: February 17, 2013, 08:21:03 PM »
With only 2 targets someone should be at every one of his games. I think lavin uses a laid back approach which worked at ucla. At ucla just offering a kid was enough.  Here lav needs to actually win kids over.

That is 100% false.

How so? Enlighten me.

« Reply #802 on: February 17, 2013, 09:58:30 PM »
With only 2 targets someone should be at every one of his games. I think lavin uses a laid back approach which worked at ucla. At ucla just offering a kid was enough.  Here lav needs to actually win kids over.

That is 100% false.

How so? Enlighten me.

Coach doesn't use an autopilot method of recruiting.  If he did Obepka, Harrison, Sampson et al would not be on the roster.

More importantly it is a myth to suggest that his recruiting at UCLA was a product of UCLA rather then hard work and relationships.  He knows how to recruit.

LJSA

« Reply #803 on: February 18, 2013, 04:46:34 AM »
Maybe Jordan has told Lavin St. John's is No. 1, but he still wants to make sure he is making right decision, and Coach is giving him space. We really have no clue what is going on behind the scenes, and what appears to be happening may not actually tell the whole story.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it until it's time not to.

« Reply #804 on: February 18, 2013, 12:53:33 PM »
All I've noticed is that a bunch of programs are a whole lot more visible in the recruiting wars than we are.  If they don't avoid the exposure why do we?  SJU just seems to be the least mentioned major program out there with no diamonds in the rough ever being mentioned.  So here we are with nobody signed, questions at various positions and possible departures looming.  Somehow not what I had in mind at this point.

boo3

« Reply #805 on: February 18, 2013, 01:15:12 PM »
All I've noticed is that a bunch of programs are a whole lot more visible in the recruiting wars than we are.  If they don't avoid the exposure why do we?  SJU just seems to be the least mentioned major program out there with no diamonds in the rough ever being mentioned.  So here we are with nobody signed, questions at various positions and possible departures looming.  Somehow not what I had in mind at this point.

poor guy....

« Reply #806 on: February 18, 2013, 01:35:30 PM »
biggest issue for me is that lavin's biggest perceived strength is recruiting and, by extension, the growth of the program is predicated upon the constant inflow of highest-level talent.  i expected to land at least one of our four prime targets this year (still possible) and to be very well positioned to land some of the biggest fish in '14 and '15.  i think it will be fine in the end - when we hit a similar recruiting low point last year, coach found a way to exceed expectations.  it will be nice not to sweat out another recruiting season at some point in the future.

« Reply #807 on: February 18, 2013, 01:47:08 PM »
biggest issue for me is that lavin's biggest perceived strength is recruiting and, by extension, the growth of the program is predicated upon the constant inflow of highest-level talent.  i expected to land at least one of our four prime targets this year (still possible) and to be very well positioned to land some of the biggest fish in '14 and '15.  i think it will be fine in the end - when we hit a similar recruiting low point last year, coach found a way to exceed expectations.  it will be nice not to sweat out another recruiting season at some point in the future.

Another poor guy?  Quick, more Koolaid!

« Reply #808 on: February 18, 2013, 01:59:11 PM »
I just want a front court and some quickness at the point.  The Sanchez crap and Gift red shirting somehow just didn't do it for me. We're obviously a few players away and it would be nice to have a little info.  A lot of commitments going on.

« Reply #809 on: February 18, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »

Another poor guy?  Quick, more Koolaid!

we shouldn't be killed for being a little concerned with/confused by the direction at this point.  is it not true that the biggest reason for optimism was exceptional recruiting and that we have whiffed so far in 2013 and appear to be falling behind for '14?  like i said, i think it will be fine but i am no longer supremely confident...

Poison

« Reply #810 on: February 18, 2013, 02:23:34 PM »
I just want a front court and some quickness at the point.  The Sanchez crap and Gift red shirting somehow just didn't do it for me. We're obviously a few players away and it would be nice to have a little info.  A lot of commitments going on.

Lavin said when he was hired that he knew the honeymoon period wouldn't last forever. It seems like he started off brilliantly recruiting, but it hasn't manifested into post season births. Forget about why. The why doesn't matter. We're 15-10. You are what you're record is.

Adding Gift will help somewhat, and adding Hooper could help, but this team still isn't complete. They need a PG even if Branch develops into a good one because he is made of glass.

boo3

« Reply #811 on: February 18, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »
 same guys were crying last year at the same time, then we got Sampson and Obekpa.

We have 1 scholarship to give for next year. Chances are we are going to whiff on a couple of recruits, no? Plus, Lavin already said he won't use it unless the right player is available.  There is your info..

It's way to early to start complaining about '14 recruits already...

Moose

« Reply #812 on: February 18, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »
same guys were crying last year at the same time, then we got Sampson and Obekpa.

We have 1 scholarship to give for next year. Chances are we are going to whiff on a couple of recruits, no? Plus, Lavin already said he won't use it unless the right player is available.  There is your info..

The reason there has to be 'some' concern about '14 is that the uncertainties of our roster makeup and who might leave could leave us with important holes to fill in '14.  And we aren't even courtesy listed by many.  Plus some targets have popped.
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #813 on: February 18, 2013, 02:45:12 PM »

The reason there has to be 'some' concern about '14 is that the uncertainties of our roster makeup and who might leave could leave us with important holes to fill in '14.  And we aren't even courtesy listed by many.  Plus some targets have popped.

All true, not denying any of that.  But to question what is going on "behind the scenes" when you have no idea what is going on "behind the scenes",  is just looking to find negatives imo.

Still a long way to go. You never know about JC or transfers  that may be available, plus a lot of kids may not be a high recruit now,  but will blow up late in the game.

Maybe it's just me.  I find it pointless to panic when it comes to recruiting, especially  1 1/2 years out.

Moose

« Reply #814 on: February 18, 2013, 02:52:19 PM »

All true, not denying any of that.  But to question what is going on "behind the scenes" when you have no idea what is going on "behind the scenes",  is just looking to find negatives imo.

Still a long way to go. You never know about JC or transfers  that may be available, plus a lot of kids may not be a high recruit now,  but will blow up late in the game.

Maybe it's just me.  I find it pointless to panic when it comes to recruiting, especially  1 1/2 years out.

Agree there is behind the scenes element.  However this day and age stuff comes out somehow eventually.  Usually sooner rather than later.  Or worst case you get 'mystery' recruits where at least insiders know something is being talked about.

Remember 85% is a safe number for how many kids pop by the early signing period.  So that is just 9 months away.  The summer is huge but would like to see some names sooner leak out.  Only 2 of the Rivals Top 20 have popped to date.  Unfortunately 1 is someone we thought we were in good with.

paultzman

« Reply #815 on: February 18, 2013, 03:30:08 PM »
Interesting list; early but....

“@SteveJones_CJ: After Shaqquan Aaron pledge, U of L No. 2, UK No. 4, IU No. 15 in early ’14 rankings by @JerryMeyer247 http://shar.es/YQmyq

crgreen

« Reply #816 on: February 18, 2013, 05:00:51 PM »

We're here with no one signed because we currently have no rides to give.  That MAY change in March/April.

Moose

« Reply #817 on: February 18, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »

We're here with no one signed because we currently have no rides to give.  That MAY change in March/April.

Uhh yeah.  And what leg would there be to stand on if Lawrence popped.  We have Sanchez schollie and the chances of another in some way shape or form are pretty good.

« Reply #818 on: February 18, 2013, 07:11:41 PM »

Uhh yeah.  And what leg would there be to stand on if Lawrence popped.  We have Sanchez schollie and the chances of another in some way shape or form are pretty good.
Yep - go for the gusto and high value targets.  Something will open up - it seems to 99% of the time.

« Reply #819 on: February 18, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »

Yep - go for the gusto and high value targets.  Something will open up - it seems to 99% of the time.

Let's go back.  When Coach missed last year combined with the decommitments of Gathers and Wood he had a lot of work to do just to put together a 2012 class.  The energy it took to put together that size of a class put him slightly behind the 8 ball with 2013.

I surmise that is why he also pursued Jones late, because he figured that with Jones in the fold he had a roster essentially set for the next 2 years and someone like Jones could develop for a year and be ready to contribute in a major way by 2013 whereas saving that schollie meant potentially signing an under the radar kid for 2013 who would need a year to develop anyway and wouldn't be ready to contribute in a major way until 2014 which along with 2015 are the two classes under focus by the staff.

In other words stacking the roster with underclassmen allowed him some flexibility in terms of recruiting for 2013 a year in which he would not be in great position anyway because of the year off.  So he targets just a handful of top kids for 2013 and figures if he lands 1, tremendous he has limited space as is anyway.  But even in a worse case scenario he has a roster all but set for next year already with just about everyone back in addition to two kids becoming eligible.

From what I hear Jordan is still in the mix.  And as I stated in a different thread there are always decommitments late from coaching changes..