Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies
Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #980 on: March 05, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »
I'll just say this about Lavin's recruiting. You can probably count on one hand the number of coaches who could have come to St. John's in 2010 and have the amount of high ranking recruits on the roster as we do now after 3 years.

desco80

« Reply #981 on: March 06, 2013, 03:04:13 PM »
I see lots of reasonable things you can criticize coach for lately, recruiting is not one of them.   Unless you want to argue the makeup of the team, that I can see.

But in terms of getting kids to commit?  He's fine.   Not even slightly worried about that.  We have a full roster, top tier players aren't usually willing to ride the pine unless its at an elite school. 

Moose

« Reply #982 on: March 06, 2013, 03:16:36 PM »
I see lots of reasonable things you can criticize coach for lately, recruiting is not one of them.   Unless you want to argue the makeup of the team, that I can see.

But in terms of getting kids to commit?  He's fine.   Not even slightly worried about that.  We have a full roster, top tier players aren't usually willing to ride the pine unless its at an elite school. 

So we can or can't critique recruiting?  I'm confused?
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #983 on: March 06, 2013, 05:01:08 PM »
Maybe Rysheed likes PJs; Ugh

“@CBSSports: UCLA star Shabazz Muhammad models the Bruins' new uniforms. Spoiler: They look ridiculous. http://cbsprt.co/UCLAUnis

« Reply #984 on: March 06, 2013, 08:24:13 PM »
Interesting that UCLA would offer a low level JUCO recruit Point Guard (who was a walk on at Morehead St before he went JUCO) when they reportedly have Jordan "in the bag."

Apparently the JUCO kid is beginning to draw other high majors.  His name is Dre Mathieu:

"I know a lot of people, they're probably thinking, 'He didn't even make the Morehead team; he didn't even earn a scholarship at Morehead,'" Mathieu said. "'He can't be good enough to go to UCLA.'

"But I've worked. This is not just that. I've worked hard and I feel like I'm a lot better than I was at Morehead. A better leader and a better overall point guard. I'm just a lot better."

So much better, in fact, that when UCLA assistant Philip Mathews came to see him practice this week in Arizona, he offered him a Bruin scholarship on the spot.

"The day before yesterday, my coach told me they were coming," Mathieu said of UCLA. "Coach Mathews came to watch me practice. I was excited about that. And during the practice that he watched, we did some drills and what not, and he was like, 'I've seen you play, I really like you and he told me I should come play at UCLA.'"

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1480235

Poison

« Reply #985 on: March 06, 2013, 10:33:21 PM »
I'll just say this about Lavin's recruiting. You can probably count on one hand the number of coaches who could have come to St. John's in 2010 and have the amount of high ranking recruits on the roster as we do now after 3 years.

Pointer and Garrett make two. We have two left from the first class.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:33:48 PM by Poison »

« Reply #986 on: March 06, 2013, 11:31:37 PM »
We ONLY had 6 top 100 kids in the 2011 class. Sampson came back the next year, so that would make 3 and Harrison hasn't gone anywhere yet (although I'm sure he's on his way out). 3/4 out of 6 isn't bad. Especially considering 1 is in the NBA and the other is lost in California. Regardless, for St. John's, having just TWO top 100 guys is impressive enough considering our recent track record.

Poison

« Reply #987 on: March 06, 2013, 11:45:39 PM »
We ONLY had 6 top 100 kids in the 2011 class. Sampson came back the next year, so that would make 3 and Harrison hasn't gone anywhere yet (although I'm sure he's on his way out). 3/4 out of 6 isn't bad. Especially considering 1 is in the NBA and the other is lost in California. Regardless, for St. John's, having just TWO top 100 guys is impressive enough considering our recent track record.

Norm wasn't getting top 100 kids because players regressed under him. Before him, we routinely landed McDonald's AA players. Lavin's recruiting success isn't actually so successful, if we can't shoot or pass the ball.

MCNPA

« Reply #988 on: March 07, 2013, 12:20:39 AM »
Interesting that UCLA would offer a low level JUCO recruit Point Guard (who was a walk on at Morehead St before he went JUCO) when they reportedly have Jordan "in the bag."

Apparently the JUCO kid is beginning to draw other high majors.  His name is Dre Mathieu:

"I know a lot of people, they're probably thinking, 'He didn't even make the Morehead team; he didn't even earn a scholarship at Morehead,'" Mathieu said. "'He can't be good enough to go to UCLA.'

"But I've worked. This is not just that. I've worked hard and I feel like I'm a lot better than I was at Morehead. A better leader and a better overall point guard. I'm just a lot better."

So much better, in fact, that when UCLA assistant Philip Mathews came to see him practice this week in Arizona, he offered him a Bruin scholarship on the spot.

"The day before yesterday, my coach told me they were coming," Mathieu said of UCLA. "Coach Mathews came to watch me practice. I was excited about that. And during the practice that he watched, we did some drills and what not, and he was like, 'I've seen you play, I really like you and he told me I should come play at UCLA.'"

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1480235

Good luck to UCLA with Mathieu...  Hope he commits to them tomorrow...  8).  Really hope Lavin makes a push with Jordan here.  I know we haven't been out of it, but hoping he wants to stay in the east ultimately.  If Harrison isn't back, Jordan is the only guy who I think can replace him at this point in time, and I think can do a lot of things passing and athleticism-wise that D'Lo can't. 

IMO, if Howland is offering other PG's it is potentially a good sign.  Keeping fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:55:48 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #989 on: March 07, 2013, 06:36:32 AM »

Pointer and Garrett make two. We have two left from the first class.

How about Obekpa? Jakarr? Branch? Dare I say Sanchez would be considered a consensus top 100?

Pete88

« Reply #990 on: March 07, 2013, 09:07:07 AM »

Norm wasn't getting top 100 kids because players regressed under him. Before him, we routinely landed McDonald's AA players. Lavin's recruiting success isn't actually so successful, if we can't shoot or pass the ball.

Routinely landed McD's kids????  really?

Poison

« Reply #991 on: March 07, 2013, 09:21:59 AM »

Not every year, but not far off.
94, Z and Felipe
97, Artest
98, Barkley
00, Cook
02, Ingram

Jarvis' arrogant behavior towards recruits killed this success. 

It wasn't every year, but we got our share.

The best Norm did was Burrell was #50 on many CBB sites. Rob Thomas, at one point was ranked #60. That's it. Thomas' lack of physical health wasn't Norm's fault. But when he finally got a local stud in Burrell, many felt he regressed because of Norm.

I know I did.

« Reply #992 on: March 07, 2013, 11:12:33 AM »

Not every year, but not far off.
94, Z and Felipe
97, Artest
98, Barkley
00, Cook
02, Ingram

Jarvis' arrogant behavior towards recruits killed this success. 

It wasn't every year, but we got our share.

The best Norm did was Burrell was #50 on many CBB sites. Rob Thomas, at one point was ranked #60. That's it. Thomas' lack of physical health wasn't Norm's fault. But when he finally got a local stud in Burrell, many felt he regressed because of Norm.

I know I did.
the last three came under jarvis..barkley recommit.

he was a better recruiter at st john's than lavin...and a FAR better game tactician.  his problem is the players didn't get better...and in most cases, regressed.

if he was smart enough to buy a couple of suits and a watch for FH, he'd still be here.

« Reply #993 on: March 07, 2013, 11:29:07 AM »
he was a better recruiter at st john's than lavin...

Straight up the most absurdist comment to date among dozens in the last few day.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:29:40 AM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

boo3

« Reply #994 on: March 07, 2013, 11:35:35 AM »

Straight up the most absurdist comment to date among dozens in the last few day.

;D

Poison

« Reply #995 on: March 07, 2013, 11:38:06 AM »

I think he means Fran, not Jarvis. Jarvis recruited Cook, Hatten & Ingram. That's it. Two of the three were great, but the support wasn't strong enough elsewhere.

It took Fran a year to fix it. I wonder what would have happened if he had stayed at St.John's. He was really connected to the city's talent, and he was a great evaluator of talent. Bootsy Thornton is the biggest sleeper since I can remember.

SJUFAN

« Reply #996 on: March 07, 2013, 11:46:15 AM »

I thought I was reading it wrong at first...comical.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:46:48 AM by STJFAN »

« Reply #997 on: March 07, 2013, 12:02:17 PM »
Make comments all you want criticizing Lavin's coaching abilities, but please don't make yourself look foolish by trying to say he's not a great recruiter. That's just false.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:02:59 PM by redstorm212 »

paultzman

« Reply #998 on: March 07, 2013, 12:17:38 PM »
Is this a Rysheed Jordan thread?

« Reply #999 on: March 07, 2013, 12:44:49 PM »
Make comments all you want criticizing Lavin's coaching abilities, but please don't make yourself look foolish by trying to say he's not a great recruiter. That's just false.

Not disagreeing with you but just curious, what's a better recruiting job:
1. Recruiting 8 guys who Everyone knows about but 2/3 of them end up being average at best.
Or
2. Recruiting 8 guys who no one knows about and having 2/3 of them becoming good players.

Just curious what people think. Does the better recruiter get Amir Garrett or does the better recruiter get Sean Kilpatrick?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.