Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies
Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1020 on: March 08, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »
maybe lavin is a better recruiter...but the team we have doesn't show it.  far from it. 

and, please, none of that young team mantra.  this is the end of the sophomore year and the kids played an unusual amount of minutes their frosh season. they're virtual juniors. they should have it together by now.

gman

« Reply #1021 on: March 08, 2013, 12:38:59 PM »
he was a better recruiter at st john's than lavin...

Straight up the most absurdist comment to date among dozens in the last few day.
+1000
i'll admit if you can tell me whether lavin brought in any mcdonald aa's...jarvis had three.
did lavin bring in a better shooter than marcus hatten??? i'd say not even close.  the shooting by the current recruits is beyond embarassing.
did lavin even attempt to go after top five players.  jarvis had miles in the bag..but he opted to go to the nba (third overall choice) when high schoolers were allowed to go.  would lavin have gotten harkless under the old rules?
any first team nyc players under lavin?  jarvis had a few.

we all know about the jarvis hatred....but give him his due.

Miles wasn't qualifying. NBA or bust for him

Poison

« Reply #1022 on: March 08, 2013, 12:59:45 PM »

Straight up the most absurdist comment to date among dozens in the last few day.
+1000
i'll admit if you can tell me whether lavin brought in any mcdonald aa's...jarvis had three.
did lavin bring in a better shooter than marcus hatten??? i'd say not even close.  the shooting by the current recruits is beyond embarassing.
did lavin even attempt to go after top five players.  jarvis had miles in the bag..but he opted to go to the nba (third overall choice) when high schoolers were allowed to go.  would lavin have gotten harkless under the old rules?

Jarvis didn't bring Barkley here. Fran did. If you're giving Jarvis credit because Barkley didn't transfer, that's kind of a reach IMO. If anything, Barkley deserves the credit because he got screwed, and decided to come here anyway.

« Reply #1023 on: March 08, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »

+1000

I love him as a player but Hatten was never a shooter at all.  It was his weakness.  But ill agree with this the current shooting on this team is horrendous. 

When Lavin is here the same number of years Jarvis is here i think it wont even be a contest considering how Jarvis tailed off with recruiting at the end.

SJUFAN

« Reply #1024 on: March 08, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »
Cook also fell into Jarvis lap. Cook was a lock for Kentucky but Tubby wasn't gonna give Cook the starting job over his son Saul, who wasn't good. Tubby was loyal to his son to a fault, and never recruited over him. Cook reopened his recruitment late and there weren't many options left.

« Reply #1025 on: March 08, 2013, 03:35:02 PM »
I may be wrong because it's been a long time, but I think Omar wanted UNC, but UNC took a PG before him, the name escapes me.

Moose

« Reply #1026 on: March 08, 2013, 03:38:37 PM »
I may be wrong because it's been a long time, but I think Omar wanted UNC, but UNC took a PG before him, the name escapes me.

Morrison or Boone.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #1027 on: March 08, 2013, 03:40:04 PM »
Adam Boone

crgreen

« Reply #1028 on: March 08, 2013, 03:52:34 PM »
Adam Boone

Wasn't it BOTH Boone and Morrison?   (Both later transferred out -  Boone back home to Minnessota, where he finished up as a 10 pt 4.5 assist Sr.    Brian Morrison to UCLA, where he spent an injury plagued 2 years with the Bruins on Ben Howland's first two teams.

paultzman

« Reply #1029 on: March 08, 2013, 03:57:14 PM »
Top guard Omar Cook of Middle Village-Christ the King, NY., is stunned over North Carolina taking Adam Boone of Minnentoka, Minn. Cook is now looking at St. John's and Miami, or reopening recruiting.

http://espn.go.com/recruiting/s/1999/1027/136456.html
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:58:04 PM by paultzman »

crgreen

« Reply #1030 on: March 08, 2013, 04:15:39 PM »
Top guard Omar Cook of Middle Village-Christ the King, NY., is stunned over North Carolina taking Adam Boone of Minnentoka, Minn. Cook is now looking at St. John's and Miami, or reopening recruiting.

http://espn.go.com/recruiting/s/1999/1027/136456.html

I see that specific article.  But Boone and Morrison were also both PGs, signed in the same class, and Morrison was the higher ranked (#24 in the RSCI) than Boone (#32).  He'd already committed to the Tar Heels when Boone signed - likely why they figured they didn't have to wait on Omar's decision.

Looking at that old ESPN recruiting page is a trip.  Who woulda guessed back then that Luke Ridnour was "THE" guard you probably should have gone after out of all those listed!   20pt 7 assists senior year in college, and  a decade long NBA career (10 pt 5 assist career averages)....

« Reply #1031 on: March 08, 2013, 05:21:57 PM »
Guys keep the discussion on Rysheed please. I could probably take out about 4 pages of nonsense in this thread and I really don't want to do that.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

crgreen

« Reply #1032 on: March 08, 2013, 05:49:40 PM »
Anybody else get the feeling Rysheed is waiting for the ESPNU  Signing day live show to declare?   As one of ESPN's 4 top 25 recruits undeclared (Andrew Wiggins, Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon),  he's pretty much assured a spot that night for a "national declaration".

SJUFAN

« Reply #1033 on: March 08, 2013, 06:38:33 PM »
Anybody else get the feeling Rysheed is waiting for the ESPNU  Signing day live show to declare?   As one of ESPN's 4 top 25 recruits undeclared (Andrew Wiggins, Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon),  he's pretty much assured a spot that night for a "national declaration".

What date is the show?

MCNPA

« Reply #1034 on: March 08, 2013, 06:43:43 PM »

Even if he wasn't, Lavin would get him on the show to announce.  SJU used his ties at espn to have lots of ESPNU announcements in the past.  I have no idea if that's what he's waiting for. 

crgreen

« Reply #1035 on: March 08, 2013, 07:25:59 PM »

What date is the show?

It's usually on the first day of the Spring Signing perirod - April 17th this year.    The final day of spring signing is May 15th.  After that, no LOIs, just grant-in-aid agreements.

« Reply #1036 on: March 08, 2013, 09:00:06 PM »

+1000

St. John's was still relavant when Jarvis took over and he was dealt a good hand by Fran
I loved Hatten but he wasnt a good shooter...great scorer

jr49

« Reply #1037 on: March 08, 2013, 09:16:42 PM »
Guys keep the discussion on Rysheed please. I could probably take out about 4 pages of nonsense in this thread and I really don't want to do that.
Ok Dave, do we still have a shot at Jordon, and when the answer turns to no can we dump the thread? When you really wanting a player ya keep checking in only to find that it looks like you ended up on the UCLA thread. 

« Reply #1038 on: March 09, 2013, 01:16:13 AM »
Jordan is UCLA's to lose. The only way Jordan comes here is if UCLA goes in another direction which is unlikely otherwise he's LA bound
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

crgreen

« Reply #1039 on: March 09, 2013, 02:55:05 AM »
Jordan is UCLA's to lose. The only way Jordan comes here is if UCLA goes in another direction which is unlikely otherwise he's LA bound

Dave - what if the whacko's are right, and Ben Howland is fired (or forced to resign)?  There are only so many coaches with the track record of Howland and Lavin for getting guys who play PG for them to the NBA (Lavin 4 in his last 10 years, Howland  7 in his last 12) - and the couple that do ain't likely leaving their current gigs.  Gotta think this kid is aware of those numbers - his final 3 (hometown plus those 2) can't really be a coincidence.   The whacko's are fully convinced Donovan  will leave Florida, or Pitino will leave Louisville, drooling over a job where 3 final 4s in 7 years gets you fired - but it's more likely a repeat of 1989 when they canned Walt Hazzard fully expecting Denny Crum to leave Louisville, or Larry Brown to come begging for a return contract - and we ended up with the SIXTH coach we offered -  Pepperdine's head coach.   Granted 7 years later thay yielded a National Championship with Jim Harrick - but that's the equivalent of getting say, Seth Greenberg and praying for a 2nd miracle.  Not exactly a lightening rod for a recruit like Rysheed.

My apologies to jr49, who's not looking for a UCLA thread, but in THIS case, it's pretty germaine.....