Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies
Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1580 on: April 09, 2013, 10:15:25 PM »
Just another guy's opinion FWIW...from "@TheBBallDiary"

"Where is the Philadelphia version of Skip To My Lou AKA Rysheed Jordan going? Guessing Temple then UCLA then St John's."

« Reply #1581 on: April 09, 2013, 10:27:40 PM »
Someone mentions Gift going to Harvard.  Never heard that before.  I know I am in the minority here, but I've felt that Gift will suprise people for us next year, that he'll be a bigger contributor than many think.  I don't want to see him transfer.  Seems like no one ever talks about him here, apart from saying he'll ride the bench.  I always felt he never was able to get into a groove, always fearing foul trouble, having to play tentatively.  I think it will be a shame if he goes.

Does Gift to Harvard for next season make ANY sense?  The talk of his agreeing to the redshirt this year as a senior is that it gives him an extra year on full athletic scholarship - a Post Grad year paid for.   Ivy league schools don't HAVE athletic scholarships.

Harvard meets 100% of its students needs in financial aid.   They calculate what they think your parents (or the student) can afford, and they pick up the rest of the tab. 

And yes, it makes perfect sense if coach told him last summer; there's not a lot of playing time here for you, you can transfer now and have to sit out a year, or stay here as a redshirt, graduate, and you can transfer without penalty and you'll have a degree.

No, they don't.    From a Crimson article on recruit Noah Allen, who'll be a freshman at UCLA next year   http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2012/10/3/noah-allen-decommits-100212/ :

Harvard men’s basketball recruit Noah Allen rescinded his verbal commitment to the Crimson and reopened his recruitment on Monday, citing financial aid concerns.

“My family can’t afford 60 grand a year, and that’s what the financial aid people told us it would cost,” Allen said. “It broke my heart. I really wanted to go to Harvard, but the numbers didn’t add up.”

Allen, ranked as the 29th best small forward in this year’s senior class by ESPN, fell in love with Harvard early on in the recruiting process.

“It wasn’t even really about basketball,” Allen said. “The prestige, that’s why I committed.”

The current high school senior committed in late July, following a visit to campus.

“I got there and I fell in love with it,” Allen said. “It wasn’t what I expected, but I knew it was where I wanted to go.”

But Allen's quest to attend Harvard was thwarted at roughly the same time by the financial aid office’s projected contribution package.

“One reason I committed [in July] was that [the financial aid office] said it would cost five or ten percent of my family’s income,” Allen said. “And then they came back [asking for] the whole thing and it caught [my family] off guard a little bit. We just can’t do that. My parents can’t go into debt.”

At that point, Allen tried everything he could to get the office to reconsider their estimate, but to no avail.

“They thought they could get [the price] down, but it just didn’t happen,” Allen said. “We tried everything, but they said, ‘No, we can’t give you anything.’”

Allen, who said he has a 3.9 GPA at Palma School in Salinas, Calif., was confident that he would meet the academic requirements needed to get admitted to Harvard.

But due to financial concerns, he and his family finally concluded Monday that his dream wasn’t going to come true. That night, Allen tweeted, “Doing what I just did sucks.”

This isn’t the first time that the Crimson has lost a prized recruit due to issues of financial aid, as the Ivy League does not allow athletic scholarships. In 2009, Rod Odom Jr., a top 100 prospect in the class of 2012, chose to enroll at Arizona rather than Harvard. He later recommitted to Vanderbilt.

“The thing that prevented Harvard from being in the last two was when we got the financial aid indication, which—compared to a full scholarship—couldn’t be a consideration for us,” Rod Odom Sr. told The Crimson in March.
If Harvard was telling him it would be 60k then his parents are making over 150k or 160k or something like that.

Lower income earners most definitely get either full rides or almost full rides. I think the number is 60k-70k and under gets full schollie and between that number and the 150k it's between 0 and 10% of your parents income that you have to pay

At this point he is not an undergraduate and it would appear you folks are talking about undergrad policies

Tiznow

« Reply #1582 on: April 09, 2013, 10:29:03 PM »

I was told again today that Gift is the guy who may choose to go elsewhere.  Staff wants him back.   

I, too, heard again that Gift is going to Harvard.  I would love to have him back but if he has that option, I wish him the best.
I would like to see Gift back. If he transfers his redshirting will turn out to be a real fiasco. We could have used him this year. Regardless, I am excited about next year.

Lavin might be a bimbo as Fun says, but he knows enough to use a player who could help him win.
Gift would not have helped.   Dunlap came to that conclusion 2 years ago.  Lavin cam to that conclusion this year.
All last summer when coach was heaping praise on everyone, did he ever mention Gift doing well?   Nope.   He talked about Dom and Harrison and Jones being a sleeper...never said he expected good things from Gift,   Just mentioned that he's a good student.

Everyone needs to get over the Gift infatuation.   For his size he was a poor defender and rebounder.   And that was all he was really being used for anyway.

Desco, a few of us had a conversation with Lavin after last year's UCLA game.  He was very complimentary of Gifts game and was looking forward to him having a strong senior season.  He was confident that he had good front court players coming into the program.  He used the strong second half of Evans senior year as a point of comparison.  He thought that Gift would be much more effective without having to play forty minutes.

Take it for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:35:45 PM by Tiznow »

« Reply #1583 on: April 09, 2013, 10:40:38 PM »
Can we keep this about Rysheed? He is way more important than Gift and whether he's here or not.

desco80

« Reply #1584 on: April 09, 2013, 11:03:08 PM »

I was told again today that Gift is the guy who may choose to go elsewhere.  Staff wants him back.   

I, too, heard again that Gift is going to Harvard.  I would love to have him back but if he has that option, I wish him the best.
I would like to see Gift back. If he transfers his redshirting will turn out to be a real fiasco. We could have used him this year. Regardless, I am excited about next year.

Lavin might be a bimbo as Fun says, but he knows enough to use a player who could help him win.
Gift would not have helped.   Dunlap came to that conclusion 2 years ago.  Lavin cam to that conclusion this year.
All last summer when coach was heaping praise on everyone, did he ever mention Gift doing well?   Nope.   He talked about Dom and Harrison and Jones being a sleeper...never said he expected good things from Gift,   Just mentioned that he's a good student.

Everyone needs to get over the Gift infatuation.   For his size he was a poor defender and rebounder.   And that was all he was really being used for anyway.

Desco, a few of us had a conversation with Lavin after last year's UCLA game.  He was very complimentary of Gifts game and was looking forward to him having a strong senior season.  He was confident that he had good front court players coming into the program.  He used the strong second half of Evans senior year as a point of comparison.  He thought that Gift would be much more effective without having to play forty minutes.

Ok, fair enough.  Maybe he is in the plans for next year then.   I have my doubts, but it's certainly possible.   

And Maher has the details right, Undergrad at Harvard you don't pay a thing if your parents make 65k, above that they ask you to pay 0-10% of your family's yearly income.   So no more than 16k at most for those families.
Essentially you pay little or nothing if your coming from a disadvantaged situation.   

But Schmerhorn is also right, I wasn't realizing - that policy is for undergrad.   Not grad school.   Don't have a clue how athletics/financial aid come into play for the cost of that. 
But regardless, yes, I stand by the fact that I think Gift transferring makes a lot of sense for him.   I could be wrong, and he may be a big contributor.   We will see.
Jordan shouldn't affect that decision in any way though.

LJSA

« Reply #1585 on: April 09, 2013, 11:21:12 PM »

I don't doubt for a second that Lavin would feel that way, but it ultimately depends on Gift. I'm not sure how Gift would fit in with Harvard's style, though. I think there is room for him in our lineup with Amir gone, but how many minutes he gets will depend upon how smoothly Sampson can play SF. I think Jones will split, so there's five guys up front to rotate between three positions. And I guess Hooper will see some duty up there too if he's really 6'5" or 6'6".

crgreen

« Reply #1586 on: April 10, 2013, 12:28:17 AM »
Just another guy's opinion FWIW...from "@TheBBallDiary"

"Where is the Philadelphia version of Skip To My Lou AKA Rysheed Jordan going? Guessing Temple then UCLA then St John's."

So he's predicting the kid will tranfer TWICE in his college career?  Shades of Trey Zeigler!   ;)

crgreen

« Reply #1587 on: April 10, 2013, 12:30:26 AM »

I don't doubt for a second that Lavin would feel that way, but it ultimately depends on Gift. I'm not sure how Gift would fit in with Harvard's style, though. I think there is room for him in our lineup with Amir gone, but how many minutes he gets will depend upon how smoothly Sampson can play SF. I think Jones will split, so there's five guys up front to rotate between three positions. And I guess Hooper will see some duty up there too if he's really 6'5" or 6'6".

Definately 6'5 or 6'6.   Was considerably bigger than teammates Tyler Lamb and Keala King at Mater Dei - and both of them are legit 6'4 (Lamb sometimes listed at 6'5).

paultzman

« Reply #1588 on: April 10, 2013, 08:22:08 AM »
Fwiw, Josh told me last week it was SJU in his opinion.

The City of Basketball Love's Josh Verlin has an interesting note about Jordan and his college announcement in the recap:

–Rysheed Jordan is announcing his college decision on Thursday, and told CoBL tonight that he hadn’t yet decided exactly how he’s going to make the decision. He says he knows which school he’s going to and that he made his decision up last week; the 6-foot-4 point guard has been deciding between Temple, St. John’s and UCLA for several months.

That sounds promising, given the rumors that St. John's is in the lead for the 6'4" slashing playmaker. Also positive? Bruins Nation is already upset about new UCLA coach Steve Alford losing a recruit to Steve Lavin.

Rysheed Jordan makes his official decision tomorrow. Will it be to reporters? Via Twitter? Instagram with a team hat? Smoke signals? We'll find out... sometime tomorrow.

“@ECoastBias: How will Rysheed Jordan broadcast his decision tomorrow? (He doesn't know yet.) #stjbb #uclahoops http://sbn.to/10K16ju

DFF6

« Reply #1589 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:59 AM »
Fwiw, Josh told me last week it was SJU in his opinion.

The City of Basketball Love's Josh Verlin has an interesting note about Jordan and his college announcement in the recap:

–Rysheed Jordan is announcing his college decision on Thursday, and told CoBL tonight that he hadn’t yet decided exactly how he’s going to make the decision. He says he knows which school he’s going to and that he made his decision up last week; the 6-foot-4 point guard has been deciding between Temple, St. John’s and UCLA for several months.

That sounds promising, given the rumors that St. John's is in the lead for the 6'4" slashing playmaker. Also positive? Bruins Nation is already upset about new UCLA coach Steve Alford losing a recruit to Steve Lavin.

Rysheed Jordan makes his official decision tomorrow. Will it be to reporters? Via Twitter? Instagram with a team hat? Smoke signals? We'll find out... sometime tomorrow.

“@ECoastBias: How will Rysheed Jordan broadcast his decision tomorrow? (He doesn't know yet.) #stjbb #uclahoops http://sbn.to/10K16ju

Assuming Rysheed picks us, I think his recruitment is critical towards building momentum for the next several classes.  Some might not admit it, but I was getting concerned that Lavin was losing his luster on the recruiting trail after we lost J. Lawrence, and I was also concerned how the suspension of Harrison would be viewed by recruits who might have empathized (albeit unjustifiably) with Harrison.   Given the circumstances, getting Rysheed IMO really establishes Lavin as one of the best closers in college BB recruiting, to the extent there was really any doubt.  I might question Lavin's in game coaching moves, but I am nevertheless happy he's the coach of STJ.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:56:08 AM by DFF6 »

paultzman

« Reply #1590 on: April 10, 2013, 09:15:12 AM »
Quite a showman;

“@sheedjordan: Come celebrate my commitment party this Saturday!!! http://twitter.com/sheedjordan/status/321971978271617024/photo/1

Chilleb

« Reply #1591 on: April 10, 2013, 09:18:20 AM »
Quite a showman;

“@sheedjordan: Come celebrate my commitment party this Saturday!!! http://twitter.com/sheedjordan/status/321971978271617024/photo/1
If he Dosent choose temple will anyone go?

paultzman

« Reply #1592 on: April 10, 2013, 09:22:46 AM »
Quite a showman;

If he Dosent choose temple will anyone go?

It starts at 10 pm, guess Coach Keady will pass.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:30:52 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #1593 on: April 10, 2013, 09:25:30 AM »
It's my understanding that his mid-range and three point game leave a lot to be desired. Don't get me wrong, we need this kid. However, our glaring weaknesses are not resolved with this (potential) pick up.

« Reply #1594 on: April 10, 2013, 09:31:30 AM »
SJU79 and anyone else who may have sources....

Has anything changed in last day or so?  Still a done deal?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:32:15 AM by billyfa »

kjd01067

« Reply #1595 on: April 10, 2013, 09:33:40 AM »
It's my understanding that his mid-range and three point game leave a lot to be desired. Don't get me wrong, we need this kid. However, our glaring weaknesses are not resolved with this (potential) pick up.

Not to jump off topic too much but our glaring weaknesses were/are outside shooting, scoring, rebounding and depth.  Outside Shooting - Hooper; Scoring - Rysheed/Sanchez; Rebounding - Sanchez/Gift; Depth - Hooper, Sanchez, Gift & Rysheed

« Reply #1596 on: April 10, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
What are the odds Jordan is one and done?

« Reply #1597 on: April 10, 2013, 09:59:09 AM »
What are the odds Jordan is one and done?

i would say he's at least a 3 year player. apparently needs work on his jumper, plus doesn't appear to be very strong. and given the amount of guards we have, i can't see him getting enough minutes this year to consistently showcase his talents.

SJU79

« Reply #1598 on: April 10, 2013, 10:00:21 AM »
Im not arrogant enough(that and im 0 for my last 2) enough to think Tierny and Zags both used me as their sources so im assuming they heard what I did which is last week he started telling family he had choosen SJU. Now from what I hear about this kid is, well to put it mildly he has a lot of "swagger" so could he be headfaking everybody for more attention? Sure but its unlikley....I have heard nothing other than SJU from three people this week.

desco80

« Reply #1599 on: April 10, 2013, 10:00:24 AM »

Not to jump off topic too much but our glaring weaknesses were/are outside shooting, scoring, rebounding and depth.  Outside Shooting - Hooper; Scoring - Rysheed/Sanchez; Rebounding - Sanchez/Gift; Depth - Hooper, Sanchez, Gift & Rysheed

I would agree.  I also think our shooting woes are a product partly of our guards not penetrating.   Dangelo and Marco can hit shots if we had guards getting into the lane and kicking it out.   More than anything else it seems like Jordan can drive north to south.   Thats his best skil right now and thats huge in my opinion.   As Choz said during the NIT, our offense is all about that ball screen up top, but Greene, Branch, and Dangelo aren't maestros at turning the corner around the pick.   I think Jordan is the kindve expolsive guard who does.

Gets you kickouts to open shots, and dump offs underneath to your forwards and center.   
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:07:53 AM by desco80 »